Author Topic: 2016 NCAA Football!  (Read 24005 times)

Offline Snow Dog

Re: 2016 NCAA Football!
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »
Living in Oregon, Ducks fans were saying Utah should destroy Oregon. I was skeptical since Utah has been playing down to their opponents all season. I fuckin' hate when I'm right... >:/

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Virginia Tech beating Noter Damn and ensuring that the fucking idiots won't go to a bowl game might be the only redeeming event of an otherwise shitacular 2016.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »
Oh Texas...  :facepalm:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
Virginia Tech beating Noter Damn and ensuring that the fucking idiots won't go to a bowl game might be the only redeeming event of an otherwise shitacular 2016.

I think, even before today, a Bowl game was a forgone conclusion.

Now I just wait for the calls of Coach Kelly's firing... he has had one bad season, and ND can't have that...  :lol
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2016, 09:32:25 AM »

I think, even before today, a Bowl game was a forgone conclusion.

Now I just wait for the calls of Coach Kelly's firing... he has had one bad season, and ND can't have that...  :lol

It appears he also played with ineligible players and takes no responsibility in that, so the wins from their best season in a long time no longer count (which is an NCAA penalty that I absolutely hate).  I think his players just aren't buying his BS anymore and the school should cut him loose. 

Anyway, had a fun time at the Rutgers/PSU game minus the crazy rain at the end that caused everyone to leave the beatdown early.  It was nice that I was not heckled once, I excepted a bit of it, I even entered in through the student section which I didn't do on purpose, but was a lot of fun to feel like a college kid if only for 5 minutes.

My first time at High Point Solution Stadium, I thought it was pretty nice and a solid college football stadium.

And I have confirmed my hotel booking and I can buy tickets so I will be at the Penn State/Michigan St game this weekend.  Depending on how the OSU/Michigan game goes, this game could be really nuts and meaningful, or just a fun game to hopefully end with 10 wins which no one expected.  It'll be fun to go back to PSU, nothing beats a game day experience in Happy Valley.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
As much as I loathe and detest noter damn, I feel like the NCAA didn't handle it fairly.  ND self reported, investigated, and got rid of and/or punished everyone directly involved.  All the NCAA did was just discourage other schools for not nipping things early and self reporting.

Now I'm going to pistol whip myself until I get a concussion for defending ND.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »
I agree.  The forfeiting of all those wins is way too big a penalty.  The NCAA is full of shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
I agree.  The forfeiting of all those wins is way too big a penalty.  The NCAA is full of shit.

I agree too, just didn't like how Kelly refuses to take any blame for what happened under his watch.  Same with the kid who died some years ago, let's not forget that one (https://deadspin.com/5675694/prelude-to-a-tragedy-how-a-notre-dame-student-died-and-why-he-shouldnt-have).  I think vacating wins is dumb and ND while guilty, is far from being a real NCAA problem in this area.  I just personally really dislike Kelly as a person.  Also, I am rooting for ND to beat USC this weekend.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
I agree that Kelly would be in the running for biggest ass at ND, and SOMEBODY should have charges for his death, the OSHA fine was a joke.  At least his family is making something good come from his manslauter.

I hope Kelly stays and they regress even more next year, and the ACC holds their feet to the fire and says "join in football or all your other sports can GTFO." 

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »

And I have confirmed my hotel booking and I can buy tickets so I will be at the Penn State/Michigan St game this weekend.  Depending on how the OSU/Michigan game goes, this game could be really nuts and meaningful, or just a fun game to hopefully end with 10 wins which no one expected.  It'll be fun to go back to PSU, nothing beats a game day experience in Happy Valley.

Your decision making here was sound.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »
If someone would have told me that Penn State would would be playing for a Big Ten title this year any time between Jan. 2012 and Nov. 1 2016, I would have laughed and said they were full of shit.  O'Brien and Franklin are miracle workers.  Hopefully Franklin can develop the talent he recruits and can motivate them when he can no longer play "The NCAA screwed us" chip.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2016, 07:05:48 AM »
If someone would have told me that Penn State would would be playing for a Big Ten title this year any time between Jan. 2012 and Nov. 1 2016, I would have laughed and said they were full of shit.  O'Brien and Franklin are miracle workers.  Hopefully Franklin can develop the talent he recruits and can motivate them when he can no longer play "The NCAA screwed us" chip.

"We're now legit contenders in the same division as UM and tOSU" is a pretty good motivator, I would imagine.  It's a switch from "Let's go out there and prove 'em all wrong" to being the underdog with a fighter's chance (which they will still be), but this season, regardless of outcome next week, will go a long way towards being able to motivate future teams.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2016, 08:22:12 AM »
As great a coach as Jim Harbaugh is, part of being a great coach is knowing how to talk to and manipulate the officials, and he still hasn't figured that out yet.  Screaming and yelling at them all game is never going to win them over, so when close calls go against his team, you can't help but wonder if his ranting hasn't gotten in the head of the officials, making them less likely to give his team the benefit of the doubt in such cases.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
As great a coach as Jim Harbaugh is, part of being a great coach is knowing how to talk to and manipulate the officials, and he still hasn't figured that out yet.  Screaming and yelling at them all game is never going to win them over, so when close calls go against his team, you can't help but wonder if his ranting hasn't gotten in the head of the officials, making them less likely to give his team the benefit of the doubt in such cases.

But it works on his players so well!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »

Had a blast at the PSU game yesterday.  It was weird cause everyone in the stands was following The Game on their phones and then the eruption in the stands as OSU won.  Penn State did what they needed to do, beat down a bad MSU team.  Onto Wisconsin, if Penn State wins, it's going to make things very difficult for the playoff selection committee.  Even though Wisconsin is slightly ahead of PSU, I feel like it would have a harder time arguing to get in since they lost to OSU.  However, Washington or Clemson would have arguably better resumes that leaving one of them out would also be crazy.  Personally I think in that scenario OSU should be out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2016, 07:58:27 AM »
The two things I can say with safety are that Alabama is definitely in and Michigan is definitely out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2016, 08:02:16 AM »
The two things I can say with safety are that Alabama is definitely in and Michigan is definitely out.

Agreed.  A Wisconsin friend told me last night they think Michigan got screwed as a strong two loss team already out, but they lost 2 of their last 3.  Can't lose at the end of the year like that.  Where as teams like Oklahoma/PSU lost their games early in the year and by maintaining long winning streaks (if they win this weekend) that keeps them in the convo as "hot teams". 

It does suck for Michigan, great season considering the two losses were on the road and by a combined 5 points or something.  I love seeing Harbaugh go nuts, because it just makes him look insane and hopefully weens kids away from playing for him (which doesnt seem to be the case yet).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
Well, screw Michigan, so yeah.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »
I would like to see Washington get in the playoff.  They should be in if they beat Colorado in the conference championship game.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2016, 12:05:40 PM »
I would like to see Washington get in the playoff.  They should be in if they beat Colorado in the conference championship game.
I would also like to see that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2016, 12:36:51 PM »
I would also like to see that.

Part of me would as well.  I think if Washington wins, they "deserve" to be in.  As a PSU fan, it's hard for me to say I "want" to see that though. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
I think that the final 4 will be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State & Washington, in that order.  We shall see.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »
I love seeing Harbaugh go nuts, because it just makes him look insane and hopefully weens kids away from playing for him (which doesnt seem to be the case yet).
That's how Harbaugh has acted his entire career, and he's always been a great recruiter. I'm a Michigan State fan, so I would never go to bat for any Michigan guy, but I'm also a Niners fan who has a great appreciation for what he did there. Harbaugh is 100% football all day, every day, to the point where he's kind of a strange, awkward guy in any other social circumstance. But that's part of his charm and part of what makes him so good at his job.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
I love seeing Harbaugh go nuts, because it just makes him look insane and hopefully weens kids away from playing for him (which doesnt seem to be the case yet).
That's how Harbaugh has acted his entire career, and he's always been a great recruiter. I'm a Michigan State fan, so I would never go to bat for any Michigan guy, but I'm also a Niners fan who has a great appreciation for what he did there. Harbaugh is 100% football all day, every day, to the point where he's kind of a strange, awkward guy in any other social circumstance. But that's part of his charm and part of what makes him so good at his job.

Charm?  :lol I know what you mean, but at some point its "too much".  He wore out his welcome (internally at least) with the 49ers where he was very succesful and that says a lot about someone's personality.  He's doing great at Michigan so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, his antics get him on people's bad side and obviously kids as of now still want to play for him.

I think that the final 4 will be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State & Washington, in that order.  We shall see.

Seems fine.  I'm not sure how Clemson gets in front of Ohio State and Washington does not though.  Washington has a much tougher opponent this weekend.  If all the favorites win this weekend (Wisconsin is a slight favorite over PSU) then I'd have:

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Washington

if PSU wins, Id not only want, but I think it should be:

Alabama
Clemson
Washington
Penn State

but likely doesn't change from my first list.  I just think PSU would have a better claim for the playoffs than OSU and that's a bit of homerism and a bit of adding value to head to head and conference championships.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

Alabama
Clemson
Washington
Penn State

but likely doesn't change from my first list.  I just think PSU would have a better claim for the playoffs than OSU and that's a bit of homerism and a bit of adding value to head to head and conference championships.

Overall strength of schedule is going to be nail in PSU's coffin against OSU. I'm not saying that you're completely wrong with how you'd like to see it work out, but I doubt that the committee is going to see it your way.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
Charm?  :lol I know what you mean, but at some point its "too much".  He wore out his welcome (internally at least) with the 49ers where he was very succesful and that says a lot about someone's personality.  He's doing great at Michigan so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, his antics get him on people's bad side and obviously kids as of now still want to play for him.
Yes, he did, and I won't argue if people want to say he has a shelf-life at any one team, because there's some evidence for it. The San Francisco situation can partially be put on Harbaugh, but it's a two way street, and their GM, Trent Baalke, is probably the most introverted, anti-social GM in the NFL. It doesn't surprise me that they couldn't work well together. Once the Yorks got the stadium plan in place, thanks to Harbaugh's success, they convinced themselves they could do better without Harbaugh and spent an entire season undermining him through the media (they do this with every situation if you follow what the national media that they leak to report) before "mutually" parting ways. Harbaugh isn't blameless, but the 49ers are one of the strangest and most inept franchises in the NFL--they were before Harbaugh, and they have been immediately following his departure--so I find it hard to put it all on him.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »

Alabama
Clemson
Washington
Penn State

Overall strength of schedule is going to be nail in PSU's coffin against OSU. I'm not saying that you're completely wrong with how you'd like to see it work out, but I doubt that the committee is going to see it your way.

I dont disagree, although it wont be SOS alone, but one loss against that SOS.  It's just a weird situation where PSU would (in this scenario) hold a head to head and conference championship over OSU yet OSU would get in over them.  The committee's guidelines say to favor head to head and conference championships against comparable teams.  I would say a 11-1 OSU and 11-2 PSU would be pretty comparable, but then again, maybe the committee doesnt think so.  I'm pretty mentally prepared to not have PSU in the final four with OSU there, but there is still a large apart of me (non homer) that thinks it shouldn't be the case.

Also things in PSU's favor... Iowa and Pitt potentially getting into the  CFP poll top 25 this week.  PSU went 1-1 against those two and current are 1-1 against the top 25, that would make them 2-2 against the top 25 with one more game against top 25.  If they win, it really narrows down the difference in SOS.  Also, Temple is just outside the top 25 as well with a game against Navy this weekend for the American conference.  If Temple wins, that'll be another top 25 win (Temple will definitely be a top 25 team if they win at 10-3). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
Harbaugh is 100% football all day, every day
I'd say he's about 60% football and 40% asshole.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
On Wisconsin!

How can you leave them out if they win the Big Ten?

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
On Wisconsin!

Because they lost to Ohio State.  That's why Wisconsin is going to have a much harder time than PSU to get into the playoffs, although it's more likely both are left out without getting help.  Hopefully this season shows why a 8 team playoffs with conference champions getting automatic bids is the real answer, not the 4 team committee decision playoff (which granted is still better than the BCS).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
On Wisconsin!

Because they lost to Ohio State.  That's why Wisconsin is going to have a much harder time than PSU to get into the playoffs, although it's more likely both are left out without getting help.  Hopefully this season shows why a 8 team playoffs with conference champions getting automatic bids is the real answer, not the 4 team committee decision playoff (which granted is still better than the BCS).

I can't buy Ohio St. getting in and Wisconsin getting left out if they win the Big Ten title game.  What's the point of having a title game then?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2016, 07:12:58 AM »
Money, and a chance to pad resumes.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
I think that the divisions should be done away with and the Conference Championship game should be the top two teams.

In the Big Ten's case, that would 8-1 Ohio State vs. 8-1 Penn State.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2016, 07:27:24 AM »
I think that the divisions should be done away with and the Conference Championship game should be the top two teams.

Well that's one idea.  The SEC and Big10 got the divisions messed up with one division being much stronger than the other.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »

That's how the ACC is going to start doing it in the next year or two.