Author Topic: 2016 NCAA Football!  (Read 24006 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: 2016 NCAA Football!
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
Little shake up with the playoff rankings.  Texas AM over Washington is not cool IMO.  Sure they played a tougher schedule, but Washington passes the eye test and I truly believe undefeated is better than one loss.  However, it doesn't mean much.  If Washington wins out they are in.  Surprised to see PSU all the way up to 12.  The committee also used the strength of schedule here to rate them much higher.

As much as I try to root for other Big 10 teams, there is no reason Penn St. should be ranked 12 simply because 1 of their 2 losses came from Pitt. And I agree on A&M and pretty every other SEC ranking except Alabama being overrated.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
Little shake up with the playoff rankings.  Texas AM over Washington is not cool IMO.  Sure they played a tougher schedule, but Washington passes the eye test and I truly believe undefeated is better than one loss.  However, it doesn't mean much.  If Washington wins out they are in.  Surprised to see PSU all the way up to 12.  The committee also used the strength of schedule here to rate them much higher.

As much as I try to root for other Big 10 teams, there is no reason Penn St. should be ranked 12 simply because 1 of their 2 losses came from Pitt. And I agree on A&M and pretty every other SEC ranking except Alabama being overrated.

yea, I think the AP poll at 20 is about right for them.  That Pitt loss was a last second missed catch for the win on the road with half the defense injured.  I'm wondering if the committee looks that deeply into it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2016, 01:55:24 PM »
I don't agree with A&M being quite that high either.  Their claim to fame this season is a loss.  I don't buy strength of schedule for them, either, because frankly the SEC hasn't been it's normal beastly self this season, IMO.

Of course, it will settle itself out by the end of the season.  If Washington wins out (which I expect), they will wind up in the Top 4.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2016, 02:02:28 PM »
I don't agree with A&M being quite that high either.  Their claim to fame this season is a loss.  I don't buy strength of schedule for them, either, because frankly the SEC hasn't been it's normal beastly self this season, IMO.

Of course, it will settle itself out by the end of the season.  If Washington wins out (which I expect), they will wind up in the Top 4.

Yea, these rankings are fairly meaningless as of now.  OSU was #16 in the first ever CFP rankings and won the whole thing.  Washington will be in if they win out.  I also don't buy the SEC being the beast of a conference.. don't even get me started on comparing the SEC to the Big10 like last year  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
I definitely think that the Big Ten has been the superior conference this season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
I definitely think that the Big Ten has been the superior conference this season.

I think the Big10 is the best this season.  I am heavily biased though.  Bowl season, as usual, will tell the tale, but I think this year has been the best shot of the Big10 being better than the SEC in awhile.  Last year I argued they were just behind the SEC.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
the Big Ten is to start playing games on Friday nights beginning next season.

so much for putting the students first.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2016, 05:07:30 PM »

Read this as well.  Hate it.  Penn State had an awesome response to the Big10, essentially saying they refuse to host a Friday night game to preserve Friday Night high school football in the state, but have agreed to do up to one away Friday night game a season.

Michigan's response was even better, essentaily "FU we will not be playing on Fridays"

The end result I believe is that the lower tier schools will be playing these games for exposure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
Yeah, I hate Friday night games.

I also hate Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday games, other than bowl games.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »
Yeah, I hate Friday night games.

I also hate Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday games, other than bowl games.
Completely agreed.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »

Read this as well.  Hate it.  Penn State had an awesome response to the Big10, essentially saying they refuse to host a Friday night game to preserve Friday Night high school football in the state, but have agreed to do up to one away Friday night game a season.

Michigan's response was even better, essentaily "FU we will not be playing on Fridays"

The end result I believe is that the lower tier schools will be playing these games for exposure.

How else will Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Rutgers get exposure?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »

How else will Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Rutgers get exposure?

Yup, and I bet those school would be happy to host a Friday night game on ESPN.  Which from my understanding will be hosting these games or FS1.  They won't be on the Big Ten Network.  Could be good for those school, but I still don't like it. 

Wisconsin said they will only agree to play on the Friday before Labor Day Weekend.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2016, 01:56:44 AM »
Not happy my Huskies got dumped like that. A&M lost by 30 points. We beat a 6th ranked Stanford and destroyed Oregon and beat a very underrated Utah. Although, I'm not totally surprised. It's a total political snub. For nearly a decade while at Boise State, Chris Peterson made it very clear every year his displeasure at how his team's were routinely overlooked by the NCAA bowl committee. So this is their way of paying him back for criticizing them.

If we win out...then fuck the bowl committee. I've long hated the rankings. My senior season we had one loss to a tough USC team; beat a 3rd ranked Michigan team early in the season; crushed Cal and Northwestern; easily handled Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl; and while the majority of prognosticators had us as National Champions we came in 2nd to BYU. A BYU team whose toughest opponents that year were a very beat up Michigan team the last game of the season, and the Air Force Academy.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2016, 01:27:43 PM »
Miss St agrees with you, TV  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »
Yea, it was nice to see Miss St win that.  I thought it was horrible to have AM over Washington in the meaningless poll.  Hopefully the other overly ranked team doesn't loss too.  I just found out that I can stream the Big Ten Network to my laptop while out here in Germany so I am going to try hard to stay up and watch the game tonight but after 34 hours with just a couple hours of airplane sleep, I feel this will be a struggle.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »
Watching Penn State now only makes me appreciate how decimated they were with injuries early in the year.  Should have beat Pitt, and Michigan would have been closer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »
Watching Penn State now only makes me appreciate how decimated they were with injuries early in the year.  Should have beat Pitt, and Michigan would have been closer.

Yea playing that Pitt game short 3 line backers really hurt them stopping the run and they could have and should have won that game by the end... the positive is that the playing time lead to a lot of experience gained for the young players which is helping them now.

I'm not sure they could have really competed with Michigan though.  No one has yet.  Maybe it would have been a 35 to 17 type of game instead at best. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »
Still a close game at this point, but I got a bad feeling Cal is gonna get fucking rolled on tonight. Here's to hoping we keep scoring!!!

Edit- Each time I check the score, UW has scored again. Fuck.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2016, 10:26:57 PM »
Certainly a low scoring affair...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »
"Come on Cal, get in front of the damn ball!  Don't give me none of this O'LAY bullshit!"

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2016, 05:50:23 AM »
I would like to see washington's offense vs alabama's defense.
Should be an interesting few weeks of college football.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2016, 05:56:18 AM »
Yeah, but everybody puts up numbers like that against Cal. Shit, DTF could score against us.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2016, 06:15:58 AM »
I saw the second half of the Alabama/LUS game, which Alabama predictably won in the 4th quarter, but I was reminded of what has got to be the dumbest rule in sports.  After a play where LSU was driving, there was a scuffle where Alabama got three unsportsmanlike penalties and LSU got one, and they were offsetting.  What??  45 yards worth of penalties offsets with 15 yards?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  Heck, the next time you see flags on both your and the other team, why not just go drill an opponent from behind because your flag will just get lumped in and offset anyway.  That is beyond stupid and makes zero sense.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2016, 06:39:24 AM »
I saw the second half of the Alabama/LUS game, which Alabama predictably won in the 4th quarter, but I was reminded of what has got to be the dumbest rule in sports.  After a play where LSU was driving, there was a scuffle where Alabama got three unsportsmanlike penalties and LSU got one, and they were offsetting.  What??  45 yards worth of penalties offsets with 15 yards?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  Heck, the next time you see flags on both your and the other team, why not just go drill an opponent from behind because your flag will just get lumped in and offset anyway.  That is beyond stupid and makes zero sense.

I understand your point but it's more complicated than that. The officials call the fouls they see, so while there may be multiple fouls on one play, they then determine which is the most egregious, which one occurred first, was it a change of possession play,etc . For example, if one team incurred a foul that was a minor foul and the other team incurred a major foul, then the major foul would take precedence, unless the minor foul occurred first where it stopped play (false start for example). In cases where they offset, and one team continues to cause fouls after the play has been whistled then it's an entirely new penalty situation and the penalty will be assessed after the other penalties have been assessed. In cases like you described where you could take a cheap shot after the play has been whistled it would be a brand new penalty, or could result in a player being ejected. But multiple penalties can happen on each play on one side of the ball, and only one on the other side and if they all result in the same assessed penalty, then they offset. It all depends on what was most serious, the order they happened, and if they happened before or after the play had been whistled dead.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 06:47:15 AM by TempusVox »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2016, 06:45:20 AM »
And sorry Lonestar, your Golden Bears got rolled like the Golden Girls.  :)

Bow Down to Washington!   :metal

The BCS committee can suck a fat dick. Texas Tech who???? Let's see what other team with a loss they can leap frog us with now. All because Peterson used to bitch because he got no respect when he was at Boise. That's okay. Can't overlook us if we win out.

We. Want. Alabama.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2016, 06:46:27 AM »
That's actually what happened, though.  Flags had already been thrown on both teams, and then an Alabama player ran into the mayhem and just drilled an LSU player out of nowhere, resulting in another flag.  How that wasn't deemed different from the offsetting ones and assessed 15 yards just didn't make sense.

It's like in hockey.  If three guys get minor penalties, two from one team and one from the other, they aren't offsetting.  The team with the extra penalty ends up short-handed for two minutes, which makes perfect sense.  Unlike what we see in football.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2016, 06:49:08 AM »
That's actually what happened, though.  Flags had already been thrown on both teams, and then an Alabama player ran into the mayhem and just drilled an LSU player out of nowhere, resulting in another flag.  How that wasn't deemed different from the offsetting ones and assessed 15 yards just didn't make sense.

Wow! I didn't see the game. But it should have resulted in another penalty being assessed. That my friend was because it was Bama.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »
The BCS committee can suck a fat dick. Texas Tech who???? Let's see what other team with a loss they can leap frog us with now. All because Peterson used to bitch because he got no respect when he was at Boise. That's okay. Can't overlook us if we win out.

You do realize the BCS and the current playoff committee are not the same?

The reason Washington was ranked 5th was because the Pac12 is down this year and they are suffering from SOS due to that.  While I don't agree with the ranking of 5th in last weeks poll, I don't believe bias against the coach had anything to do with it.  They will be 4th now and if they win out, they will be in the playoff (which would have been the case even if AM didn't lose).

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2016, 08:41:13 AM »
He's a little out of touch.

There's no more BCS
It was Texas A&M, not Texas Tech

but I think he's right on one thing. A team will leapfrog Washington, and that team is Ohio State.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2016, 08:55:32 AM »

You do realize the BCS and the current playoff committee are not the same?

The reason Washington was ranked 5th was because the Pac12 is down this year and they are suffering from SOS due to that.  While I don't agree with the ranking of 5th in last weeks poll, I don't believe bias against the coach had anything to do with it.  They will be 4th now and if they win out, they will be in the playoff (which would have been the case even if AM didn't lose).

Washington may still be #5...they beat up Cal, but #6 tOSU treated #10 Nebraska like a speedbump.  Washington still has a clear shot to the top four, as tOSU and UM play eventually, but for now I expect they'll still be #5.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2016, 10:46:12 AM »
I could see OSU doing a temp leapfrog although I feel that is unwarranted like AM.  But there is no way in my mind that UW misses the playoffs if they go undefeated. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »
He's a little out of touch.

There's no more BCS
It was Texas A&M, not Texas Tech

Holy Hell!!
 :lol :rollin
A little buzzed still from partying all night to be precise.

And, no...Ohio State will not leapfrog anyone.

(Note to self...no more half asleep- half in the bag posts. Especially at my age.)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
I just looked up the members of the committee. Nothing like having an 0-12 final season at a major football program as part of your credentials, Tyrone.

Offline 425

« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
Not happy my Huskies got dumped like that. A&M lost by 30 points. We beat a 6th ranked Stanford and destroyed Oregon and beat a very underrated Utah. Although, I'm not totally surprised. It's a total political snub. For nearly a decade while at Boise State, Chris Peterson made it very clear every year his displeasure at how his team's were routinely overlooked by the NCAA bowl committee. So this is their way of paying him back for criticizing them.

While this is obviously a moot point now that A&M lost, couple of caveats to make to this:
1) Stanford was 6th ranked very early in the season, when rankings basically don't matter. Stanford has since been revealed to not be particularly good, and is now properly unranked.
2) Oregon is pretty bad this year.
3) The current College Football Playoff committee has absolutely zip to do with the old BCS rankings and bowl selection. The idea that this is some type of revenge ploy against Chris Peterson makes absolutely no sense since this is a totally different group of people.

I myself had Texas A&M ahead of Washington at #4 two weeks ago, before Washington played Utah.

I do a fresh set of rankings every week, paying no regard to the previous week and not having a system of "move up" or "move down." Like the CFP committee, I look at resume and total body of work. Two weeks ago (Oct. 23), Washington did not have a very impressive total body of work. Their best win was over a pretty mediocre Stanford team. I ranked them at #9, behind then-undefeated Boise State and Baylor, both of which had better wins at the time (WSU and OSU, respectively), and then-one-loss Texas A&M, Louisville and Ohio State, which all had losses to quality teams and markedly better wins than Washington. In the case of Texas A&M, at that time they had beaten Tennessee, which was #12 for me that week, and Auburn (#11) and Arkansas (unranked, but closer to being ranked than Stanford). That's a better total body of work than what Washington's was at that time.

When Washington beat Utah, suddenly they had a top 25 win and that was enough, combined with the premium of being unbeaten, to make them #4 for me. It amused me when, that same week, the committee made the move that I had just unmade. But I understood it. I really respect this committee for looking at total body of work and not letting teams skate by on garbage schedules just for being undefeated (like when they correctly denied 2014 FSU the top two spots despite their being the only unbeaten). Now, I think Washington will move into the fourth slot. OSU, unlike TAMU, did not lose to a top four team. And Louisville does not have a signature win. If they committee works similarly to how I do, which I think they do, Washington is a very likely choice for the #4 ranking.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2016, 03:54:18 AM »
When Washington beat Utah, suddenly they had a top 25 win and that was enough, combined with the premium of being unbeaten, to make them #4 for me. It amused me when, that same week, the committee made the move that I had just unmade. But I understood it. I really respect this committee for looking at total body of work and not letting teams skate by on garbage schedules just for being undefeated (like when they correctly denied 2014 FSU the top two spots despite their being the only unbeaten). Now, I think Washington will move into the fourth slot. OSU, unlike TAMU, did not lose to a top four team. And Louisville does not have a signature win. If they committee works similarly to how I do, which I think they do, Washington is a very likely choice for the #4 ranking.

Good analysis.  I also like how the committee puts emphasis on SOS.  It'll make the league as a whole that much better as teams learn this and schedule better (Baylor seems like the will never learn this).  I only wish the committee put a little more into the "eye test".  Washington while having a weaker schedule due to a down pac12 has looked really good in all of their games hence why i thought they should still have been #4 last week.  I'm curious to see how far AM falls this week since losing to Miss St is a pretty bad loss.

As for my team, PSU, I think they could hit around #10 in the rankings, but the last three games of the season are against some pretty bad teams.  Well Indiana is 5-4 so they aren't terrible, but Rutgers and Mich St are 2-7 each.  I almost wonder if PSU could move down in the rankings even with wins as the SOS takes a big hit.