Poll

Vote for the song that you want to eliminate!

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
5 (19.2%)
El Dorado
7 (26.9%)
Mother of Mercy
4 (15.4%)
Coming Home
0 (0%)
The Alchemist
7 (26.9%)
Isle of Avalon
0 (0%)
Starblind
0 (0%)
The Talisman
0 (0%)
The Man Who Would Be King
2 (7.7%)
When the Wild Wind Blows
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: August 22, 2016, 08:17:48 PM

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - The Final Frontier - Round 1  (Read 1304 times)

Offline 425

Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - The Final Frontier - Round 1
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »

The Final Frontier (2010)

Four years after the release of their proggiest album yet, Iron Maiden returned with The Final Frontier—an album that, contrary to the possible implication in its title, did not turn out to be their final outing.

Maiden's 15th studio album proved to be very much a continuation of their progressive trend. The band matched the scope of A Matter of Life and Death's sprawling and lengthy nature by teeing up a run of five epics to close the album, three of them eclipsing nine minutes and one becoming the band's third longest song at the time (and their third ever to cross the 10-minute mark). Stylistically, The Final Frontier shares many characteristics with its predecessor, but takes on a slightly brighter hue, in contrast with the dark, war-themed Matter of Life and Death.

While The Final Frontier isn't a foray into tons of un-tread ground, the band did engage in one notable bit of experimentation: opening the album with a weird four-minute drum, guitar and vocal piece with demo sound. Beyond that piece, The Final Frontier is definitely another album in the vein of reunion-era Maiden, albeit one that highlights their progressive side. This has made it well-liked by some, but considered more of an average album by others.

This is my favorite Iron Maiden album. I know this places me in a distinct minority, but I think this is just the best thing they've ever done. It's the perfection of the progressive reunion-era style with interesting short pieces and an amazing run of five epics at the end. I also really, really like the Satellite 15 intro. Really like it.

I do rate the five epics all above the first five songs. I'm pretty flexible about how I rate songs within those two tiers, but I definitely want the first five on the album to be the first five eliminated. I am prepared for disappointment, but I'm also hopeful that this will turn out better than the last one.

If you pushed me to name a least favorite, it would be El Dorado. Nothing wrong with it at all, in fact it's a really good song, but it just doesn't have something extra that the others do have. But I'll be flexible in my voting just to see how things start to shake out in the first round.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - The Final Frontier - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:33:38 AM »
Mother of Mercy

A truly magnificent album that is unfortunately going to be remembered as "that album between A Matter of life and death and The Book of souls."

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:37:16 AM »
Satellite
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 04:29:00 AM »
El fucking Dorado.

This album was such a grower but is pretty special.  The second half is one of Maiden's greatest runs IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:34:48 AM »
When the Wild Wind Blows.. Probably the worst song of the reunion-era.. I don't want to hurt feelings here, so I won't say why I think that..

And the album... well, it's ok.. It's a good album.. Definitely my least favorite of the reunion-era, but quite better than many others before 2000.. Best song: Isle of Avalon; then I only care about a few songs (among which is El Dorado, specially due to that amazing -and out of the IM comfort zone- bridge before the chorus)..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
mercy

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 12:10:24 PM »
Wow, El Dorado is one of my favorites :lol such a good song

I guess 'good' doesn't quite cut it on an album of such high quality though, one of the best Maiden albums imo.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Agalsed

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 01:33:04 PM »
My favorite album by Maiden, too. I thought El Dorado would go out second. I'm surprised satellite isn't losing in a landslide.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »
When the Wild Wind Blows.. Probably the worst song of the reunion-era.. I don't want to hurt feelings here, so I won't say why I think that..

And the album... well, it's ok.. It's a good album.. Definitely my least favorite of the reunion-era, but quite better than many others before 2000.. Best song: Isle of Avalon; then I only care about a few songs (among which is El Dorado, specially due to that amazing -and out of the IM comfort zone- bridge before the chorus)..

I think this is the first time I agree with you on ANYTHING.

I mean, Wild Wind is fantastic, but I do agree that Isle of Avalon is the best song here. Let's hope that it at least makes the consolations.

I voted for El Dorado, could have also gone for the opener; I really like Satellite 15, but the title track is just superbly bland. If El Dorado goes, then that's my next vote.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »
I mean, Wild Wind is fantastic, but I do agree that Isle of Avalon is the best song here. Let's hope that it at least makes the consolations.

I think you could convince me pretty easily that any of Isle of Avalon, Starblind and The Talisman is the best song on this album. I hope those are three of the final four.

I really like Satellite 15, but the title track is just superbly bland.

I kind of agree with this. I like the title track fine enough, but it's nothing special in any way. If the two tracks were split, The Final Frontier might get my first vote ahead of El Dorado.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
El Dorado IMO is the worst song Maiden has ever done.

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »
But Weekend Warrior exists
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 06:22:02 PM »
I think this is the first time I agree with you on ANYTHING.

You're wrong.. We at least agree on liking IM, Metallica, Leprous... and DT in first place.. :lol

And that's saying a lot.. :tup
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 07:07:29 PM »
But Weekend Warrior exists

Better solos.

Offline 425

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »
I mean, I actually like El Dorado quite a bit, so we're not going to see eye-to-eye on this, but I don't see how the solos on Weekend Warrior make up for the rest of the song.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »
Didn't know El Dorado was hated so much. It's a typical Maiden tune. Not bad honestly. Its greatest offense is some weak verses and some of Bruce's delivery, but I quite like the chorus.

Voted for Mother of Mercy. I really dig the first minute and a half, but unfortunately the real meat of the song is just...under-cooked.

Rooting for Coming Home, Isle of Avalon, and When the Wild Wind Blows (my top 3 of this album) to come out high in this. The Final Frontier holds a special place in my heart as a Maiden fan, being the first Maiden record that I actively anticipated the release of (not having been much into music at the time of AMOLAD's release). I feel in the future it'll come to be over-looked in their discography, but I find it quite underrated honestly.

Offline 425

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 10:32:14 PM »
Didn't know El Dorado was hated so much. It's a typical Maiden tune. Not bad honestly. Its greatest offense is some weak verses and some of Bruce's delivery, but I quite like the chorus.

I generally agree with this except I like it better than this description... yet I voted for it. Because I also LOVE every other song this album. Picking a least favorite on this one for me is similar to asking the typical Dream Theater fan to pick a least favorite on Images and Words. Yeah, you might say Another Day or whatever, but it's had to find anything to fault about it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 12:21:20 AM »
The Alchemist
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 01:07:01 AM »
Title track

I have no problem with El Dorado.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 03:02:55 AM »
el dorado

Offline Mladen

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »
El Dorado was extremely exciting when it came out, but as soon as we got to hear the rest of the album, it was obvious to me that it isn't one of the album's stronger tracks. It's still a fun, rocking tune, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
Satellite 15, if it werent for that, I'd be voting a different track as TFF song is pretty solid to my ears, but I cannot stand the intro or the fact that they kept it as one track.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 11:17:57 AM »
I really should re-listen to this album, it's been too long. But yeah, as far as I remember, it's either the opener or El Dorado that should go first.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
Didn't know El Dorado was hated so much.

:lol  It isn't.  7 people have voted for it.  That doesn't really qualify as "hate."

Anyhow, great song on Maiden's finest album.  I voted The Alchemist.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »
Guess we need a tiebreaker round?  I am assuming that is how you are running this. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

Offline 425

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »
Guess we need a tiebreaker round?  I am assuming that is how you are running this.

Yeah, posting that up right now. Sorry, just forgot to do it last night.
And if spirit's a sign,