Author Topic: Death Grips Thread  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Death Grips Thread
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »
Should I be surprised there's no thread for these guys yet? Please tell me there's someone else on here who likes them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ8br4qyp5E
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Death Grips Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »
I checked out Bottomless Pit and it's really good, eager to find out more about this band.

I think they have a pretty nice following on DTF aswell, probably in the Rap/Hiphop thread
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:12:07 AM »
HI SUPERDEWD

yeh, most guys in the hip hop thread are into them. 

Myself, I quite liked Exmilitary, but I haven't really taken them to Anthony Fantano fanboy level.  I don't think I really gave anything after that a real listen, just a few songs here and there.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 02:05:19 AM »
They're great in the right doses, but I think their hype is way too big in contrast to the quality of the music. The Money Store will stand the test of time as one of those great albums to be remembered, and the last two have been good, but they have also put out some pretty meh stuff, like the Government Plates album.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 04:31:19 AM »
They're great in the right doses, but I think their hype is way too big in contrast to the quality of the music. The Money Store will stand the test of time as one of those great albums to be remembered, and the last two have been good, but they have also put out some pretty meh stuff, like the Government Plates album.

Oh I know, you and I have had this discussion. :P

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 04:41:40 AM »
Sure, I would call it style over substance. They're one of those bands doing the same shtick and while it can work well for some bands, I feel like they're 5 albums in and they've already run out of ideas. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the last two, definitely more than Government Plates or No Love Deep Web.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »
Sure, I would call it style over substance. They're one of those bands doing the same shtick and while it can work well for some bands, I feel like they're 5 albums in and they've already run out of ideas. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the last two, definitely more than Government Plates or No Love Deep Web.

I actually think TPTB was the best one overall. I might expand on this later, but it feels kind of serious and thought out in a way previous efforts were not. "Mature," even? It's a leap, but it's the word that springs to mind.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Love Exmilitary. Really like NLDW. Like Money Store fairly well. After that, my interest falls off a cliff.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 05:25:24 PM »
I checked out Bottomless Pit and it's really good, eager to find out more about this band.
I recommend you Jenny Death.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:54:29 AM »
Bump of the year, for the Year of the Snitch.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
Man this is one band I had never expected to like in the slightest and somehow I do. Exmilitary and The Money Store are my favorites from 'em. Bottomless Pit was nice, too