Author Topic: Blackmore's Night  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Blackmore's Night
« on: August 15, 2016, 08:37:50 AM »
Saw them live in Ridgefield Friday (same place I saw The Winery Dogs a couple months ago).   For TWD, I was front row, but obstructed view, but once the show started, I stood in front of Billy and it was awesome.  For BN, I got second row, right side, obstructed view, but I figured I would stand in front of Ritchie... no such luck.  But still, I was 15 feet from my musical idol and favorite musician of all time (Ritchie, not Candice).    Yeah, you have to get past the "Renaissance", but having said that, it's extremely well-played.   When Ritchie and Candice did their duet on "Soldier of Fortune" and "Moonlight Shadow" it was amazing.  Her voice and his playing just seem to go together, and as much as I admired Blackmore, I was blown away by how good he really is.   

He's still mercurial; he was having problems with the sound early (some jackass yelled "Ritchie, turn up your guitar!" in the middle of a solo spot) and he was playing loose with the set.  At one point Candice was looking at him for a cue, and he was sort of in thought, and someone yelled "Ritchie, where's the STRAT!" and he yelled back in a very sarcastic voice, "Ritchie, where's the Strat!", and proceeded to wave the rest of the band off the stage to do the aforementioned Moonlight Shadow just as a duet.    Later, Candice introduced "Fires at Midnight", and Ritchie started playing "Diamonds and Rust" and simply said "I changed my mind", but the rest of the band had to adjust their instrumentation (the bass player played about four different instruments).   I saw the setlist before the show; it's not as if they were playing songs that weren't in the mix (I got the impression there were about 30 songs that were "in play" and they played about 20, 25 in the two and a half hour set), but the fluidity of it made it fun. 

Highlight, for me, at the end, I got to shake Ritchie's hand from the stage, and it made my day.   

I get that the Renaissance thing isn't for everyone, but if you want to watch a guy play the absolute CRAP out of a guitar, you need to see this before he calls it a day.  And it is crass, but it has to be said, Candice is gorgeous (even at 45; she looks easily 10 or 15 years younger) and really is comfortable on stage.  She has this way of swirling her dress as she dances that's just...     She also sang the hell out of Soldier...; some of her parts were doubled by a backup singer, but she held her own.

EDIT:  I changed "Candace" to "Candice" (I know a "Candace", so that's my fault) and added the sentence about her swirling dress. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:32:41 AM by Stadler »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Blackmore's Night
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »
I get that the Renaissance thing isn't for everyone, but if you want to watch a guy play the absolute CRAP out of a guitar, you need to see this before he calls it a day.  And it is crass, but it has to be said, Candace is gorgeous (even at 45; she looks easily 10 or 15 years younger) and really is comfortable on stage. 

Can't argue with any of that. :tup
I'm glad he got in a few rock shows recently before hanging it up, but I respect the guy for doing what he loves. And I'm talking about the music, not Candace. :zydar:
And he's still got the chops.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
I'd like to check them out one day.  Their guitarist, who I believe goes by the name Earl Grey of Chimay, was one of my friends back in high school and grew up two blocks from me.  And I agree, Candice is gawjuss!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:33:35 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
I like the Renaissance-type music, and Blackmore is (still) a beast, so I'm sure it was an excellent show.  And yeah, Candice is beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:23:16 AM by Orbert »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 10:25:27 AM »
I'd like to check them out one day.  Their guitarist, who I believe goes by the name Earl Grey of Chimay, was one of my friends in high school and grew up two blocks from me.  And I agree, Candace is gawjuss!

That's the bass player I was referring to.  He looked like an absolute ass with the hat and the boots and the faux whip he had hanging from his belt, but he did sure play his bass well.   

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
I thought I'll keep quiet on that matter, but you guys did it in four posts in a row... it's Candice, not Candace.

I like BN a lot, saw them live in 2013 (or was it 2014?). I agree, the somewhat fluid setlist is one of the things that make their shows more interesting and unpredictable. You can catch five of their shows in a row and you'll get five different setlists. They also premiered two new songs from Dancer and the Moon at that show - they never played anything from that album before live - which I appreciated. I'll definitely see them again if they ever come to Russia.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
it's Candice, not Candace.

Corrected my post.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »
I was and guess I still am a big fan of Blackmore's Night, but the fire somehow has ran out for me. Too many average albums to keep my enthusiasm up. Still, in their prime they were amazing, I watched them myself during the Secret Voyage turn and it was fun, and I don't doubt they're still great live. I wish they'd churn out a stellar album that would send me into full BN's mode again 'cause there was a time I was into them much more than I am now.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 11:31:20 AM »
I was and guess I still am a big fan of Blackmore's Night, but the fire somehow has ran out for me. Too many average albums to keep my enthusiasm up. Still, in their prime they were amazing, I watched them myself during the Secret Voyage turn and it was fun, and I don't doubt they're still great live. I wish they'd churn out a stellar album that would send me into full BN's mode again 'cause there was a time I was into them much more than I am now.

I can agree with that. Secret Voyage was very good and after that, not so much. I've bought their last one but I think I listened to it two or three times and that's it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »

I can agree with that. Secret Voyage was very good and after that, not so much. I've bought their last one but I think I listened to it two or three times and that's it.

I agree. Secret Voyage is actually my favourite overall, but after that it just seems to lack the diversity and quirkiness. I have the two after that, but I never bothered with the most recent one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
I have a few songs on my phone. It was Blob's gif of Candice that peaked my interest.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
It isn't Blackmore's Night, but I saw this Deep Purple clip recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR4t0TjgDxk

Decent singer they have now, but the first comment was fucking gold:

The reason Ritchie looks so tired is he had just returned from the new world America and the long boat ride on the Mayflower wore him out.

Fucking lol