Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - FINAL RESULTS  (Read 22656 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - ROUND 5
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »
rip my lead  :lol

though that means you still like it at the very least so

Offline LordCost

« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Omg, I will be in the last position even with that band :facepalm:

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
Yeah I figured.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2016, 08:46:53 PM »
I'm unfortunately going to have to delay results until Monday or Tuesday. I've been super busy with schoolwork and I'm going to be occupied this weekend. Was hoping to get this round done before then but that unfortunately didn't happen. Sorry this thing's taking so long.  :-[
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - ROUND 6
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »
---ROUND 5 RESULTS---

1st Place: Tomislav95
Baroness - Chlorine And Wine

I really liked this one. It’s got great instrumentation and a fantastic sound throughout, from the ambient, atmospheric intro to the anthemic finale. It also has some really great lead guitar lines and some great sludgy riffs. I also love how bombastic the finale is; really great stuff. I’ve heard about this band a lot and I’d definitely like to hear more from them, so I’ll probably be checking out this album at some point.

2nd Place: Evermind
iamthemorning - Lighthouse

This song is just so incredibly soothing and beautiful. It’s very minimalistic, but the piano and vocals convey enough emotion and beauty to create a really vivid atmosphere and mood that completely envelops you. The last part of the song adds in some more instruments and vocals and ends the song on a slightly more active note while still remaining within the song’s atmosphere. Really really pretty; I always enjoyed listening to this one.

3rd Place: Train of Naught
The Nautilus - Accupuncher

On the opposite end of the spectrum, here’s an incredibly heavy song that’s done really well. The drums and rhythm guitars are absolutely pummeling, but they’ve got enough rhythm and variety to them that they never become too overwhelming. The track is full of awesome riffs, and there’s enough variety to spice things up a bit, most notably the more melodic section in the middle, which is really cool. Hopefully these guys will have more than just an EP in the future.

4th Place: Scorpion
Fates Warning - The Light And Shade Of Things

This song wasn’t amazing or anything, but it’s still a very powerful and well-executed piece of progressive metal. It has a great flow and covers a good amount of ground without being too complex; the beginning and end are very quiet, while the middle section is a string of powerful verses, choruses, and a few instrumental bits. I personally think that the first section goes on for a bit too long, but that’s just me. The song really ramps up in emotion and power towards the end and the climax is really satisfying, though with repeat listens I started to feel like the song as a whole is maybe a bit too repetitive. Nevertheless, this song was pretty great.

5th Place: Parama
The Hirsch Effekt - Cotard

I liked this song a lot, though I definitely prefer some parts of it over others. The choruses are really memorable and impactful, the finale is really well done, and it’s all strung together very well. The heavier, crazier sections didn’t do a whole lot for me, but they weren’t bad or anything. I also found the vocal melodies as a whole to be pretty weak. Those issues aside, I liked it.

6th Place: Elite
Extol - Open The Gates

I found this song to be pretty average overall. It’s got some decent riffs, and composition-wise there’s some interesting choices in terms of instrumentation; the way the song mixes distorted and clean guitar is pretty unique. On the other hand, I found the clean vocal melodies to be incredibly weak, and the song doesn’t really have any one element that impressed me that much. Again, not a bad song, but not very good either.

7th Place: splent
Angra - Angels And Demons

Simply put, I just don’t really like the sound / style of this one. It’s very power metal-y, but it doesn’t have the bombast, energy or over-exaggeration that I like about that genre. It’s pretty thin-sounding, I didn’t find the vocal melodies to be that powerful, and I wasn’t that impressed by the riffs either, though the one in the middle is pretty great. Other than that one section, I didn’t find much to like here.

8th Place: LordCost
The Ocean - The Origin Of Species / The Origin Of God

Okay, so this band created Pelagial, one of my favorite albums of all time and, in my opinion, perhaps THE best concept album ever made. So naturally, I was interested in hearing more from them. A while ago I do remember checking out the album this song came from, and I wasn’t impressed. Listening to this again, I remember why. This song is boooooring. It has so little energy to it; the song just chugs along at a very unappealing mid-tempo for its entire duration, and while there are a few cool sections, like the saxophone outro, most of it is incredibly uninteresting. The heavier parts with the harsh vocals sound way too weak, the clean vocals don’t have any energy either, and as a whole the song just sounds really uninspired and lifeless. I don’t know if Pelagial was a fluke or not, but I certainly don’t have any desire to listen to this one again.

Artists banned this round: Baroness, iamthemorning

THE SCORE SO FAR:
Parama: 41
Scorpion: 37
Evermind: 36
Elite: 34
Train of Naught: 32
splent: 31
Tomislav95: 29
LordCost: 20

ANNOUNCEMENT: Since I've been ungodly busy this semester and this roulette has been taking up more of my time than I would like, I'm cutting down the number of rounds from eight to seven. As such, there are only two rounds left. Good luck!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
finally, someone appreciates chlorine & wine.

also I have no clue why you'd send something off heliocentric of all things, lordcost  :lol
@buddy that one is generally considered one of their weaker albums, but anthropocentric and (the second disc of) precambrian are both pretty cool, though not as good as pelagial imo. check out like, rhyacian or stenian or anthropocentric or heaven tv or something i dunno  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2016, 01:30:27 AM »
Awesome :metal they are actually working on a new album and they said on facebook that they have already played some of them live back in July or something. I follow them on FB so I might let you know if something new is coming our way.

Sending now
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2016, 04:02:21 AM »
finally, someone appreciates chlorine & wine.

also I have no clue why you'd send something off heliocentric of all things, lordcost  :lol
@buddy that one is generally considered one of their weaker albums, but anthropocentric and (the second disc of) precambrian are both pretty cool, though not as good as pelagial imo. check out like, rhyacian or stenian or anthropocentric or heaven tv or something i dunno  :lol

My ranking of The Ocean albums I know is:

Pelagial
Heliocentric
Anthropocentric

I didn't even know Heliocentric was considered a weaker album..
I listen to only a few metal bands with growls, I much prefer the hardcore harsh vocals as the ones of The Dillinger Escape Plan just to make an example. Maybe that's why I don't like Anthropocentric apart the opener and two/three other songs (the one after the opener, Roots And Locust are two songs I vaguely remember), and why I'm continuing to finish in the last place every round  :lol. Pelagial instead is really good, I love songs like Cognitive Dissonance even if it's not something I usually like.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2016, 05:17:05 AM »
Too bad I started this roulette badly :/ but I'm glad you liked Chlorine & Wine :tup you should check their latest, Purple. 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »
Wow, nice. I may have to delay this thing for a few days, I don't have a song ready and I won't be there at weekend. Sorry.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »
I figured.

I'll send something within 48 hrs

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
Gah, I still haven't sent. I'm sorry, I'm a huge failure. I'll send something tonight.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
a song for scorpions

i think i haven't sent either tbh. haven't had the time but then i just forgot, oops, i'll send tonight

Offline LordCost

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
I take advantage of the fact that I lost this roulette by a mile and I send a song I will never send another time. At least you'll laugh a bit Buddy, or you will have another reaction I won't spoil to you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »
 I'm probably going to end up doing that as well.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »
What's up with you people sending too late?

:neverusethis:

(for the record, I have actually sent)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
I'll send something in an hour. I apologize again for the delay.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2016, 10:37:43 AM »
I sent. I'm having some family issues right now.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »
I sent. I'm having some family issues right now.

I asked you to re-send since I'm already familiar with that song, but take your time if you need to.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
Expect results :soon:

CONTESTANT SONG RANKINGS:

Parama
1: Szervetlen
2: Limousine
3: Naif / Linear Failure / My Favorite Society Guy
4: Cotard
5: Winter
6: ???

splent
1: Dear Dead Days
2: Losing It
3: Shoot First
4: Cloud City
5: Angels And Demons

Train of Naught
1: Umana
2: Accupuncher
3: Set In Stone
4: Clarity
5: ???
6: I Hold Dominion

Evermind
1: Wheel Of Time
2: Lighthouse
3: Pictured Within
4: The Grandest Accusation
5: The Anatomy Of A Nervous Breakdown: Neurasthenia

Tomislav95
1: Chlorine And Wine
2: ???
3: Black And White World
4: Eraser
5: I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery
6: Hope

LordCost
1: smilelobber
2: Dark Charade
3: Severed
4: The Origin Of Species / The Origin Of God
5: ???
6: Sleeve

Elite
1: Fisheye
2: Are You Kidding Me? No.
3: ???
4: Oncoming Dark / Through The Glass / Cinnamon Balls
5: Open The Gates
6: Deadman

Scorpion
1: The River Dragon Has Come
2: The Garden Of Fire
3: ???
4: The Light And Shade Of Things
5: Marionette
6: Beggars

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
Congrats on winning the round Tomislav  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2016, 04:53:40 PM »
I was looking at these rankings and was like 'eh I probably sent something alright but nothing special' then went through my PM's to see that I sent fucking Slice The Cake DID YOU MEH SLICE THE CAKE :censored
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
to be honest I don't disagree that this is the weakest song I've sent but that's more because everything else I sent has been awesome and this one was just "pretty great"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:06 PM »
Now I feel even worse about sending Swallow the Sun.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2016, 06:14:06 AM »
Shadow Ninja syndrome catching up with me here, I have no clue what I sent.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - FINAL ROUND
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »
---ROUND 6 RESULTS---

1st Place: Elite
In Mourning - The Smoke

This song’s a bit generic as far as melodic death / doom metal is concerned, but it’s still very well done, and ended up just barely being my favorite of the round. It’s got lots of great sections; the heavier parts have some great riffs, the fast, energetic part that comes in around two thirds into the song is really cool, and the calm section in the middle is very moody and beautiful. The choruses are also pretty well-done and memorable. My one complaint about the song is that it’s a bit too long. In particular, there’s a point right after the chorus that the song would have ended perfectly on, but then it transitions into one last verse that’s completely unnecessary. That’s not really a big deal though; as a whole, this track was pretty great.

2nd Place: Tomislav95
Dredg - Lechium

This was another song from this round that I really liked. It’s got a raw, heavy sound that I definitely found appealing, and the louder sections are contrasted well with some clean verses and breaks here and there that also sound quite good. The song also has a superb flow; the extended build up at the start is done really well, and that moment where the distorted guitars kick in is pretty damn badass. I also really like how the song speeds up towards the end and things get especially heavy. I found the vocals to get a little bit annoying after a while, but that didn’t stop this song from being great.

3rd Place: Scorpion
Enslaved - Death In The Eyes Of Dawn

This song strikes a really good balance between heavy and melodic, and the result is a really powerful and evocative sound. The parts with the clean vocals are great; he’s got a really nice voice and the vocal melodies are quite memorable. On the other hand, I didn’t really like the harsh vocals, and they also don’t fit with the music that well a lot of the time, at least in my opinion. In addition, I found the song to be too long. It starts to get a bit monotonous towards the end, and the song as a whole is pretty same-y throughout, though it’s still a good piece. I might check this band out more in the future, as they’ve got some elements that resonate quite well with me.

4th Place: Parama
Oak Pantheon - Climb

And here we have yet another submission that I thought was too long. It’s got some good moments here and there, but they’re spread pretty thin throughout the song, and there weren’t any parts that struck me as being spectacular. It also takes like four minutes for the song to get good, which is a pretty long time. The middle section of the song is the part that stood out to me as being the most constantly good, and I also enjoyed the fast, thrashy riffs that come in towards the very end. So yeah, I found this track to be pretty average overall, and if the submissions this round were stronger, this likely wouldn’t have ranked as high as it did.

5th Place: Train of Naught
Slice The Cake - The Exile Part I - The Razor’s Edge

There’s not really anything wrong with this track, but I think it was a pretty poor choice for a roulette submission, as it’s hardly even a full song. The first half of it is just spoken word over some acoustic guitar, and yeah… it’s just spoken word. Not very exciting. The full band kicks in with a pretty huge sounding riff afterwards, followed by some powerful operatic vocals. This part is great, but then it just cuts off mid-word as the track ends and the next one on the album begins… or it least it would, if the submission included it. It probably would have been a smarter choice to send me both parts of the song as one submission, as other people have done in the past, or to just send me something else that’s a complete piece. As-is, it felt like I only got a fraction of a submission, and that’s not going to get you a high ranking, my friend.

6th Place: LordCost
Mr. Bungle - Merry Go Bye Bye

Alright, well, this one I obviously have some mixed feelings about. I’ve heard about this band in the past and I knew that they were pretty weird, and yeah, this song was definitely weird. Now, I love me some weird music, but this song, if you can even call it that, just seems like it’s trying way too hard to be crazy and bizarre. At least one third of it is literally just noise, and it shouldn’t be much of a surprise that that didn’t do anything for me. The track blends a ton of different styles, which I’m always a fan of, but it would be a bit more impressive if the song had any cohesion whatsoever. Instead, it’s just a handful of musical fragments stitched together by random, abrasive noise. And hey, the sections with actual music are actually pretty good. I liked both the heavy parts and the bluesy rock ’n’ roll parts, and the chorus that gets reprised at the very end is actually quite nice, I thought. If this song had more actual song in it, it likely would have ranked at least a bit higher.

7th Place: Evermind
Mark Knopfler ft. Ruth Moody - Wherever I Go

I can see your reasoning for sending this song, as your other mellow submissions ended up doing quite well. Unfortunately though, in this case, the third time wasn’t the charm. What really invests me in calm, quiet music is atmosphere, and this song just didn’t have enough of that for me. It’s definitely got some emotion to it, but that honestly felt a bit weaker than it should have been as well. While I thought that the saxophone and guitar solos were really nice, as a whole, I just didn’t feel like there was enough beauty in this song to justify the calmness and minimalism.

8th Place: splent
Enchant - The Great Divide

I didn’t really like this one at all. It’s too long, it’s boring, and after a while it started to get kind of annoying. Sound-wise, it’s pretty typical progressive rock, but I thought it was way too restrained. Almost the entire song is very calm, and there are hardly any flashy or energetic parts to speak of, which for this style of music is kind of important. It also doesn’t feel like the song is building towards anything; it’s nine minutes long and so much of that is spent just re-using the same sections and melodies over and over again, and it gets pretty grating. The high-pitched harmonized vocals with the weird effect over them don’t help, either. Can’t say I have any desire to listen to this one again.

No artists banned this round.

THE SCORE SO FAR:
Parama: 48
Scorpion: 45
Elite: 44
Evermind: 40
Train of Naught: 38
Tomislav95: 38
splent: 34
LordCost: 25

TIME FOR THE FINAL ROUND!

Alright guys, only one round left to go! This is your last change to send me something awesome and amazing and all of that good stuff. The only special rule this round is that this round is worth more points than the others. Here's the breakdown for how many points each rank will receive:

1st place: 16 points
2nd place: 14.4 points
3rd place: 12.8 points
4th place: 11.2 points
5th place: 9.6 points
6th place: 7.9 points
7th place: 6.3 points
8th place: 4.7 points

Why the weird fractions of a point, you may ask? So that there can be no people tied in the final results, that's all. Anyways, with the extra points, if you're a bit behind, this could be your chance to win! Assuming Parama screws up, of course. :P
Good luck!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2016, 02:47:13 PM »
If I knew I could send The Exile II along with it I would've done that obviously :P but I couldn't care less to be honest, to me it's not about the scores, but more about sharing the music. If you're interested in the music check out the album, if not, do not. The rest of the album is much heavier but if you're not into the spoken words it's a no go, to me they're by far the best thing about the record and there's a lot of them.

Will send final song in a bit.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »

Nope :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
haha the first few minutes are my favorite part of Climb but the whole thing is good so nyeh  :loser:

will try to send something terrible for the last round, yep

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2016, 06:39:22 AM »
You liked dredg, that's cool :tup
Already sent, something doom-y.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »
Okay then.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2016, 02:39:06 PM »
Still need submissions from splent and Elite.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
You need to be more aggressive in getting songs from people  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »
Oops.

I'll send in a bot

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
Wow, sending an entire robot to deliver a song roulette entry. That's dedication.