Author Topic: Albums you appreciate but you feel no one else appreciates  (Read 5473 times)

Offline bundy

Re: Albums you appreciate but you feel no one else appreciates
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2016, 02:12:43 AM »

A Saucerful of Secrets - Pink Floyd
Terribly overlooked album in their discography. I have all their studio albums as well Relics and ASoS is easily in my top 5.

I think it's far and away their best pre-Meddle album.

Agreed. It's at least on a par with Meddle as my favourite pre- DSOTM album.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2016, 02:24:57 AM »

A Saucerful of Secrets - Pink Floyd
Terribly overlooked album in their discography. I have all their studio albums as well Relics and ASoS is easily in my top 5.

I think it's far and away their best pre-Meddle album.

Agreed. It's at least on a par with Meddle as my favourite pre- DSOTM album.

It doesn't beat The Piper at The Gates of dawn but it's a great album indeed
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2016, 06:02:17 AM »
Shinedown - Us and Them: Shinedown's lowest selling record, Us and Them gets lost in the shuffle with Leave a Whisper, The Sound of Madness, and Amaryllis despite having the band's second biggest hit in Save Me and the album often gets completely shut out of setlists. It's a shame too, because this album has two big hits in Save Me and I Dare You as well as some amazing songs such as Heroes, Yer Majesty, Beyond the Sun, Shed Some Light, and the masterpiece that is Lady So Divine. It's a truly amazing album that I wish the band would pay more attention to for their live shows.

I was reading about Shinedown two or three days ago. I love their debut, and I appreciate Sound Of Madness while it was the sign of their change in a commercial rock direction, but it was a good album. Us and Them was my least favourite of those three, but at least was an album with a personal style. I read that their last two albums are really average and mediocre, it was sad to hear it.

I have to hear again all the songs of Us And Them to remember them, but reading now the tracklist I believe my old favourites were Begin Again, Someday and the bonus track Carried Away.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2016, 06:09:08 AM »
Yeah Shinedown's latest album is without exaggerating one of the worst albums I ever listened to front to back. Apparently that album has made me lose interest in the band as I rarely see myself returning to them, I still think Brent is the fucking man though, one of the best modern rock singers I know.

I guess one album I appreciate but feel no one else does is Machine Head's Unto The Locust, always gets overshadowed by the (rightfully) praised The Blackening. I still think Locust is their best though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:43 AM »
Yeah Shinedown's latest album is without exaggerating one of the worst albums I ever listened to front to back. Apparently that album has made me lose interest in the band as I rarely see myself returning to them, I still think Brent is the fucking man though, one of the best modern rock singers I know.

I guess one album I appreciate but feel no one else does is Machine Head's Unto The Locust, always gets overshadowed by the (rightfully) praised The Blackening. I still think Locust is their best though.

Threat to Survival is pretty terrible but I liked Amaryllis a lot.

As for Unto the Locust, I still like The Blackening more but UtL is still an amazing album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2016, 07:17:30 AM »

Yea, totally. It was always going to be an impossible task to follow arguably the best metal album of the 00's (waiting for the uproar  :lol). Unto the Locust is a brilliant album and I appreciate it a lot more now than when it came out. I have the version with the bonus tracks at the end. I've got to say this album is so much better when you just listen to the album proper and miss out the bonus tracks. I enjoy it more since I started doing that.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2016, 07:21:10 AM »
I have the one with the bonus covers and the acoustic Darkness Within aswell, and yeah the album is a ton better without them.

Not to say they're bad songs though they just don't work after "Who We Are" at all. The Judas Priest cover (The Sentinel) is amazing!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:49 AM »
I have the one with the bonus covers and the acoustic Darkness Within aswell, and yeah the album is a ton better without them.

Not to say they're bad songs though they just don't work after "Who We Are" at all. The Judas Priest cover (The Sentinel) is amazing!

Yea, they certainly aren't bad songs. The album just flows better without them and works better for me. With a lot of bands I usually get the albums with the bonus tracks but then separate them on my ipod so the studio albums are just the albums proper. I then have a compilation of all the bonus tracks as a separate album. I find it works much better, especially if you can craft a nice flow to the bonus tracks album

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »
Ozzy Osbourne - Down To Earth
I don't get the constant hate for it. Solid metal album.

I also agree with the people who said Youthanasia and Load/Reload. I understand that they're departures from those bands' earlier sound, but I appreciate them for what they are.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »

I also agree with the people who said Youthanasia and Load/Reload. I understand that they're departures from those bands' earlier sound, but I appreciate them for what they are.

I'd consider myself a pretty big Megadeth fan but I find Youthanasia so forgettable. I literally couldn't name you a song off it, except a title track maybe??  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »

I'd consider myself a pretty big Megadeth fan but I find Youthanasia so forgettable. I literally couldn't name you a song off it, except a title track maybe??  :lol

The first half of the album alone is full of great tracks imo. The Killing Road, man!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
Amorphis - Tuonela; Am Universum
Paradise Lost - Host
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

A Tout Le Monde?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Art

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »

Paradise Lost - Host

:tup :tup :tup

I love this album. The nineties were magic.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »

Paradise Lost - Host

:tup :tup :tup

I love this album. The nineties were magic.
:hifive:

Of course they were magic, I was born back then! :biggrin:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »

A Tout Le Monde?

Good point. You've got to understand, my journey through Megadeth's back catalogue started when my brother lent me Rust in Peace. On his recommendation I then worked backwards going through their 80's albums (which I loved). He wasn't a fan of any of the 90's albums after RiP (I trusted his judgment). A friend ended up lending me Countdown to Extinction, which I liked. Not long before Megadave had released The System has Failed (which got slated) and I ended up giving it a miss. By 2007 they released United Abominations and I LOVED that album and got the next couple, which kinda went down hill. I skipped Super Collider altogether. Around the time of SC I went back and filled in the blanks in the discography so a lot of those albums I may have only listened to about 5 or so times. I like Cryptic Writings but The World Needs a Hero and Youthanasia, not so much. Then they went a surprised me with Dystopia, a bloody cracking album. There's fuel in the old boy yet  :metal

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2016, 02:51:49 AM »
Yes: Magnification
Metallica: St. Anger
Rush: Vapor Trails (before it was remixed)
C418: Minecraft Volume Alpha XD (I know not to take this album too seriously but it really is in my top favorite albums of all time. It's just so peaceful and gives me a nostalgic rush like nothing else... except maybe Vapor Trails)
Anything by Transatlantic. I feel like this band is overlooked often by prog fans but they are really amazing! Check out either The Whirlwind or Kaleidoscope. Both are masterpieces.
hmmm
Yes... I will say it. Panic! At the Disco: A Fever you Can't Sweat out. I know critics BASH this album but I think it's a great album from end to end. the songs are catchy and there is a running theme that ties it all together... like a concept album.
And yes, I am a huge Dragonforce fan. They are a guilty pleasure of mine.
Other than that, a lot I have on my iTunes are from indie prog bands like Intervals, Pomegranate Tiger, Polyphia, stuff like that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2016, 04:58:57 AM »
Most people love Transatlantic here.  Hell,  quite a few here saw them live!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »
1989 self titled "World Trade".

Billy Sherwood of Yes fame as the lead singer and bassist.  Fantastic album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2016, 05:11:37 AM »
1989 self titled "World Trade".

Billy Sherwood of Yes fame as the lead singer and bassist.  Fantastic album.

Great album. As a matter of fact, any band I discovered through the Magna Carta label have been excellent.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
I know in the prog community they are famous but I mean like, outside of that. The everday person isn't going to know Transatlantic. I often ask them and they get them confused with Trans Siberian Orchestra -.-

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2016, 08:06:19 AM »
Systematic Chaos

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
C418: Minecraft Volume Alpha XD (I know not to take this album too seriously but it really is in my top favorite albums of all time. It's just so peaceful and gives me a nostalgic rush like nothing else... except maybe Vapor Trails)
Definitely this.

Also Ruined Machines - Pressure & Obsession. I've tried to spread love for it but with no avail.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire: When people talk about RATM, most only mention their debut or The Battle Of Los Angeles, but they somehow forget this album. It has a lot of fantastic songs, People of The Sun, Bulls On Parade (probably their best song aside from Killing In The Name imo), Vietnow, Down Rodeo and Year Of Tha Boomerang are incredibly well written and I even prefer Evil Empire to The Battle Of Los Angeles which is regarded their second best album by most people.