Author Topic: Albums you appreciate but you feel no one else appreciates  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Albums you appreciate but you feel no one else appreciates
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »
@Zantera I've always liked Valtari, I find it weird it's considered one of their weaker albums? I prefer it over all theirs except ( ) and maaaybe Agaetis, honestly.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 08:38:54 PM »
Barney Rubble and the Cunt Stubble

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
In Through the Out Door is a good call. I can't say it's one of my favorites, and its flaws are obvious, but I still like it quite a bit.  Fool in the Rain remains one of my favorite LZ songs ever.

Also, Mosh, Presto is not from the 90s. Close, but no cigar. :)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »
Yeah, Vapor Trails got a lot of flack, but when I heard the remix back in 2013 (and I hadn't listened to it in full in its original form), I enjoyed it.  I stated that if this is what it sounds like remixed, I don't want to even hear the original, since it was really good.

I dug Earthshine, Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, Freeze, and Out of the Cradle.  Sometimes, when trying to create an album after a long and justifiable hiatus, sometimes certain things gets lost in terms of how it should be done.  Rush had to start somewhere to get themselves back on track and I think Vapor Trails was a good start in order to dawn a new Rush era in the 2000s.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
I have too many of these to count....

AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
Sabbath - Cross Purposes and Born Again
Cheap Trick - Standing on the Edge
Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On
Genesis - Abacab  (Maybe that one doesn't count)
Priest - Point of Entry
KISS - Unmasked and The Elder (someone already said that)
Oasis - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
Yes - Big Penetrator
The Panic Channel (basically Jane's Addiction with a different singer)
Rush - Presto
REM - Reveal
Scorpions - In Trance

There are certainly more...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »
I have too many of these to count....

AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
Sabbath - Cross Purposes and Born Again
Cheap Trick - Standing on the Edge
Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On
Genesis - Abacab  (Maybe that one doesn't count)
Priest - Point of Entry
KISS - Unmasked and The Elder (someone already said that)
Oasis - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
Yes - Big Penetrator
I beg your pardon? :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:37 AM »
Depending on your question:
- that's an inside joke between a friend of mine (my concert buddy) from high school.  He was a "Steve Howe is Yes" guy, and so the first Rabin album was 90210, the second was Big Penetrator, the third was "Onion" and I lost touch with him before Talk, so that doesn't have a nickname.

- I think that is a maligned album, because of the two "radio-friendly" songs (Rhythm of Love and Love Will Find A Way) but it is one of my favorite Yes records overall.   Love "Shoot High Aim Low", and the vocals in general. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
In through the out door is my choice number one.

I would have also said The X Factor, but I happen to know plenty of people that adore it as much as I do.

Also, The Final cut.  :heart

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »
Deep Purple - Fireball
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Kansas - Audio Visions
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 12:46:41 PM »
Kansas - Audio Visions
Kansas is my favorite band of all-time, but I'm definitely not a big fan of Audio Visions. It still beats the hell out of both Elefante albums, though. I was thinking about listing In the Spirit of Things in this thread. It's poppy, they used some outside writers, and at times it doesn't really sound very much like Kansas, but I still find it a rather enjoyable listen.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
Yes - tormato.   The only things I really don't like are the two dipshit Anderson pieces, "Arriving UFO" and "Circus of Heaven". 

Offline 425

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »

Yes, this one! My favorite Iron Maiden album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 01:30:41 PM »
Deep Purple - Fireball
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

I love all 3 of these albums. In fact, Sin After Sin is easily my favorite Priest album, and Final Frontier is my favorite of the reunion era Maiden albums. I never really thought of Sin After Sin as an unappreciated album though. Sure it's not as popular as certain other albums, but I've never heard anyone slag off on that album. Good call on Fireball though. I never understood why people don't like that album more. The title track, Fools, and No One Came are all some of my favorite Deep Purple songs.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
I never knew people disliked Fireball :huh: pretty good album, Fools is one of my favorite DP tunes
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
I never knew people disliked Fireball :huh: pretty good album, Fools is one of my favorite DP tunes

Maybe not "disliked" so much as not "appreciated" as the thread title suggests.  Fireball gets very little mention, while In Rock, Machine Head, Burn get most of the accolades and attention.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »
Audio Vision has five keepers, especially Relentless, an all-time great Kansas tune, and then the rest is useless.

I can't say that Big Generator is one of my favorites by Yes, but I definitely like it a lot.  That is actually the only Yes album I ever owned on cassette, back in 1987/1988.  By the time I got into Yes other than the two 80s pop rock records, I was buying CDs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »
Final eyes is a killer tune.

Stadler, not a big fan of SOTE.   I love One On One like there's no tomorrow though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »
Mago de Oz: La ciudad de los árboles.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bundy

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2016, 02:58:29 AM »
Born Again - Black Sabbath
Apart from the filler instrumental, the rest of this album has some terrific songs, let down by some terribley muddy production.

A Saucerful of Secrets - Pink Floyd
Terribly overlooked album in their discography. I have all their studio albums as well Relics and ASoS is easily in my top 5.

Iron Maiden - s/t and Killers.
I don't have the Blaze albums, FotD or NPFTD but have the rest of their studio albums. These two would both be top 6 or 7 for me. Remember Tomorrow is perhaps their most overlooked track IMHO.

Deep Purple - s/t
The last Mk 1 lineup album and my favourite DP album. Very different from anything the later incarnations of the band. Painter, Blind, April are all terrific and Lalena is one of my favourite covers of any song by any artist. Rod Evans was a very underrated vocalist.

Stormwatch - Jethro Tull
Another of my favourite bands. I 've got all their studio albums apart from A and The Christmas Album and Stormwatch would easily be top 10, probably around 8 or 9 if I sat and took the time to rank them. Elegy is a gorgeous instrumental.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2016, 03:10:41 AM »
Self-titled is my favourite album by Deep Purple too, and it's somewhere in Top 15 albums of all time for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2016, 03:15:14 AM »

I'm going to go with two non-rock/metal picks.

Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly
4 Non-Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More! (very, very surprised at how solid this album is)

But then I'll also throw in..

Steve Perry - For The Love of Strange Medicine

Offline bundy

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2016, 04:43:25 AM »
Self-titled is my favourite album by Deep Purple too, and it's somewhere in Top 15 albums of all time for me.

Glad someone else appreciates it as much as I do.  :tup
Probably not in my top 15, but very possibly, my top 50. Almost certainly would make my top 15 1960s albums though. Evans was a massively underrated vocalist.

Offline Art

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »
I have a love for the nineties, so:

Bruce Dickinson - Skunkworks

Iron Maiden -  No Prayer for The Dying, X-Factor and Virtual XI

Metallica - Load and Reload

Megadeth - Youthanasia (my favorite Megadeth album) and Cryptic Writings.

Judas Priest - Jugulator

Slayer - Divine Intervention

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »

Glad someone else appreciates it as much as I do.  :tup
Probably not in my top 15, but very possibly, my top 50. Almost certainly would make my top 15 1960s albums though. Evans was a massively underrated vocalist.

Well, no, on Evans.   They changed him out for a reason.   

But that album is the first where you really got a taste of how good Blackmore could be.   It is a great album, and while I don't agree that Evans is underrated, I do think those three albums are.   

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2016, 08:57:39 AM »

Stormwatch - Jethro Tull
Another of my favourite bands. I 've got all their studio albums apart from A and The Christmas Album and Stormwatch would easily be top 10, probably around 8 or 9 if I sat and took the time to rank them. Elegy is a gorgeous instrumental.

Love this album.  The final in a great trilogy of albums from Songs From the Wood > Heavy Horses > Stormwatch.

ps. I would recommend getting A.  It doesn't stack up to these 3, but still a worthwhile album. 

I'll also add to my under-appreciated list of albums:

Megadeth - Thirteen
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
Shinedown - Us and Them: Shinedown's lowest selling record, Us and Them gets lost in the shuffle with Leave a Whisper, The Sound of Madness, and Amaryllis despite having the band's second biggest hit in Save Me and the album often gets completely shut out of setlists. It's a shame too, because this album has two big hits in Save Me and I Dare You as well as some amazing songs such as Heroes, Yer Majesty, Beyond the Sun, Shed Some Light, and the masterpiece that is Lady So Divine. It's a truly amazing album that I wish the band would pay more attention to for their live shows.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Art

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
Kreator - Endorama

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
Shinedown - Us and Them: Shinedown's lowest selling record, Us and Them gets lost in the shuffle with Leave a Whisper, The Sound of Madness, and Amaryllis despite having the band's second biggest hit in Save Me and the album often gets completely shut out of setlists. It's a shame too, because this album has two big hits in Save Me and I Dare You as well as some amazing songs such as Heroes, Yer Majesty, Beyond the Sun, Shed Some Light, and the masterpiece that is Lady So Divine. It's a truly amazing album that I wish the band would pay more attention to for their live shows.

I love Us and Them, as it is my favorite Shinedown album, and I do agree that they should incorporate more of those songs in their live sets, but apparently there are reasons why they do not do so.  One thing is that obviously their lead guitarist that did Us and Them is not with them for whatever reasons.  Also, Us And Them was written when vocalist Brent Smith was having some personal problems of his own, so he might have a hard time getting in the mood to sing those songs.  Third, some of those songs can be hard to sing, purely, without any backing tracks included.  I mean look at the Somewhere in the Stratosphere DVD sets (electric and acoustic) and compare how Brent sang the chorus in I Dare You in both of them.  One sounds just like the album version and one sounds like he is singing them live as it is without any tampering of any kind.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
Agree with all the Megadeth albums listed on this page, but then again I'm a huge Megadeth fanboy (I even enjoy most of Super Collider). Youthanasia is one of their best albums, Cryptic Writings is a really fun and enjoyable album, and 13 has some amazing tracks too (that title track!)

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
And Risk is fun as well... but then again I came in this thread to mention I regularly and unironically listen to Lulu...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
Mine.

:-[
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2016, 05:17:24 PM »

Terribly overlooked album in their discography. I have all their studio albums as well Relics and ASoS is easily in my top 5.

I think it's far and away their best pre-Meddle album.  Despite the presence of Corporal Clegg (AWFUL), it's miles better than the overrated Piper...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2016, 05:18:33 PM »

I think it's far and away their best pre-Meddle album.  Despite the presence of Corporal Clegg (AWFUL), it's miles better than the overrated Piper...

Agreed. Saucerful is exceedingly underrated.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »

I love Us and Them, as it is my favorite Shinedown album, and I do agree that they should incorporate more of those songs in their live sets, but apparently there are reasons why they do not do so.  One thing is that obviously their lead guitarist that did Us and Them is not with them for whatever reasons.  Also, Us And Them was written when vocalist Brent Smith was having some personal problems of his own, so he might have a hard time getting in the mood to sing those songs.  Third, some of those songs can be hard to sing, purely, without any backing tracks included.  I mean look at the Somewhere in the Stratosphere DVD sets (electric and acoustic) and compare how Brent sang the chorus in I Dare You in both of them.  One sounds just like the album version and one sounds like he is singing them live as it is without any tampering of any kind.

Us and Them is my favorite Shinedown album as well. I have said to my girlfriend that the difficult vocal parts may be a factor in why they don't play any of those songs much anymore. Brent's work on that album is damn impressive but he's quite a few years past his prime now. Still, at least Save Me and I Dare You would be enough from that album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
And Risk is fun as well... but then again I came in this thread to mention I regularly and unironically listen to Lulu...
:o