Author Topic: New DT Tour dates  (Read 142449 times)

Offline nattmorker

Re: New DT Tour dates
« Reply #1050 on: October 26, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »
Awsome! I'm not that of a fan of either of those songs, they're good but not my favorite. But anyway, it's awesome that the band includes some rarities and underplayed songs in their setlists.

The only downside for me it's that I really love "The gift of music".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1051 on: October 26, 2017, 06:48:03 AM »
Holy crap!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: October 26, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »
Yup, JP confirmed it on social media last night apparently that there would be changes for the setlist.  That's really surprising though, To Live Forever, not so surprising but live debut of Don't Look Past Me?!  :omg: 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1053 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:23 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1054 on: October 26, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
Now I'm really excited and pumped for Sunday. Never ever would I have guessed I'd get to see DLPM. Now that's especially special.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1055 on: October 26, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
TLF is great. Good addition. DLPM isn't my bag, though. While going back to old outtakes was a wonderful idea, I really wish they'd gone with The Way it Used to Be, instead. That would have been perfect. I suppose they were wanting to stick with the Moore era, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #1056 on: October 26, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »
I've never heard of DLPM but TLF is awesome.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1057 on: October 26, 2017, 01:27:39 PM »
TLF is great. Good addition. DLPM isn't my bag, though. While going back to old outtakes was a wonderful idea, I really wish they'd gone with The Way it Used to Be, instead. That would have been perfect. I suppose they were wanting to stick with the Moore era, though.

Don't Look Past Me was going to be on Images & Words until they wrote Surrounded and decided to replace it, so yeah it makes sense to stick with the anniversary theme. 

Seeing it live tonight, and it totally will be my bag!!

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #1058 on: October 26, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
To Live Forever? Oh, that's cool. Love to hear that live. Shame they probably won't come back to the UK again with this tour...

Don't Look Past Me? WHAT? HOLY CRAP. OH MY GOD. PUT IT IN MY EYES NOW! OH MY GOD. HOLY CRAP!!

AGH... Now I really want them to come back to the UK.
If not, maybe a live DVD or something? Man, I'd really love a live DVD of this set.

With Images And Words, To Live Forever, Don't Look Past me, and a Change Of Seasons, that's everything that was written for Images And Words!! :D
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline earlilano

« Reply #1059 on: October 26, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
To those who went to the Oakland show, how long was the concert from start to end? I'm so excited for tonight's show.  :metal

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #1060 on: October 26, 2017, 05:37:12 PM »
Since I've never seen an evening with, do the US crowds stand?

I'm in the 4th and my buddy hates standing at shows, and I'm a metal head so I don't like sitting.

Who will be happier?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1061 on: October 26, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
To those who went to the Oakland show, how long was the concert from start to end? I'm so excited for tonight's show.  :metal

It was pretty much three hours to the second I swear. First set was a bit over an hour, then a 20 minute break, then an hour forty for I&W and the encore. I was out of the theater and on the train by 11:15.

I'm in the 4th and my buddy hates standing at shows, and I'm a metal head so I don't like sitting.

Who will be happier?

Depends on the venue...Oakland was a seated venue, but the first ten or so rows stood throughout. But when they play San Francisco's Warfeild and it's GA, then everyone is standing throughout.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: October 27, 2017, 07:05:44 AM »

Who will be happier?

Depends on the venue...Oakland was a seated venue, but the first ten or so rows stood throughout. But when they play San Francisco's Warfeild and it's GA, then everyone is standing throughout.

Yea, it's weird with standing for DT.  I've been wondering this myself. For the TA shows it was all sitting, even in the front row, but in my past experiences I had always stood for DT (like I do for other bands) but I am wondering if sitting is now a thing at DT shows.  For the NYC show I have first row on the balcony, if I stand then it kind of forces others to stand or yell at me to sit.  At the NJ show I am in the 7th row, I'd really want to stand but if the people in front of me arent then I am not sure I want to be the lone stander.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1063 on: October 27, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
Yea, it's weird with standing for DT.  I've been wondering this myself. For the TA shows it was all sitting, even in the front row, but in my past experiences I had always stood for DT (like I do for other bands) but I am wondering if sitting is now a thing at DT shows.  For the NYC show I have first row on the balcony, if I stand then it kind of forces others to stand or yell at me to sit.  At the NJ show I am in the 7th row, I'd really want to stand but if the people in front of me arent then I am not sure I want to be the lone stander.

I've only seen DT once, on the Metropolis 2000 tour.  We had seats in the theater's balcony - the floor was GA/standing.  Everyone in the balcony was seated, and it was really fucking weird.  I went to headbang when they play The Mirror, and I'm sitting in a chair trying to do it.  I didn't understand why people would sit at a metal show, and still don't. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »

I've only seen DT once, on the Metropolis 2000 tour.  We had seats in the theater's balcony - the floor was GA/standing.  Everyone in the balcony was seated, and it was really fucking weird.  I went to headbang when they play The Mirror, and I'm sitting in a chair trying to do it.  I didn't understand why people would sit at a metal show, and still don't.

:lol I was head banging and rocking in my seat so much when I was first row for an Astonishing show last year.  I really think that's the reason why JP shook my hand, and no one elses, afterwards.  Must have saw only one person who was really wanting to rock out. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1065 on: October 27, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »

:lol I was head banging and rocking in my seat so much when I was first row for an Astonishing show last year.  I really think that's the reason why JP shook my hand, and no one elses, afterwards.  Must have saw only one person who was really wanting to rock out.

Imagine if you broke the chair. Haha.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1066 on: October 27, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
At the Reno show I went to on the Astonishing tour where they had added in the "hits" encore, people down on the floor where I was started an actual pit during Pull Me Under, and the band was LOVING it.  I've never seen that happen at a DT show ever, but we were all cracking up, and I think it was all John and James could do to keep it together.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1067 on: October 29, 2017, 10:18:53 PM »
Had to leave after the first set. But it was worth it alone for To Live Forever.

James joked about Mangini having is iPad saying "Are you watching the game." And at Jordan saying "Jordan was somewhere on the street...selling drugs."

Overall wish I could've stayed for the rest but life comes first. Had a blast either way. Going to try and catch the dallas date.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 30, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
Going to try and catch the dallas date.

Thinking about this and/or the Austin show.  I'm in a weird situation where I need to burn vacation before the end of the year and I also want to keep my flight status and will need to fly 2k more miles to do that, that weekend looks ripe for me, but I am not ready to pull the trigger yet.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1069 on: November 02, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »

Thinking about this and/or the Austin show.  I'm in a weird situation where I need to burn vacation before the end of the year and I also want to keep my flight status and will need to fly 2k more miles to do that, that weekend looks ripe for me, but I am not ready to pull the trigger yet.
Cool, y'all come down. Ben can bring some Peyote and we'll have a grand ole time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1070 on: November 02, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »

Cool, y'all come down. Ben can bring some Peyote and we'll have a grand ole time.

Crossing bridges in the sky. Heh.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1071 on: November 02, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
At the Reno show I went to on the Astonishing tour where they had added in the "hits" encore, people down on the floor where I was started an actual pit during Pull Me Under, and the band was LOVING it.  I've never seen that happen at a DT show ever, but we were all cracking up, and I think it was all John and James could do to keep it together.

I was at that show standing right in front of JP on the edge of the pit. I was in Anaheim for the show 2 nights before that and no pit. Reno rocks! :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1072 on: November 02, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »

I moshed to Home during the Maiden tour. It was awesome.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: November 02, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

Crossing bridges in the sky. Heh.

:lol Yea, I reached out to my buddy down in Dallas who EB gave me a ride to meet up with last year, he wants to go to the show too but is up in the air due to work, I'm debating about pulling the trigger on this without him confirming going anyway.  Might just fly in that morning and out the next day.  Would be cool to catch the last show of the tour, usually those end up being pretty fun cause the band is more loose.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1074 on: November 02, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »

I was at that show standing right in front of JP on the edge of the pit. I was in Anaheim for the show 2 nights before that and no pit. Reno rocks! :metal

Oh, no way!  Did you hang around afterward?  I was the guy shouting for Maddi to come out after the show ended.  And then that one dude climbed up on stage to try to grab one of JP's picks off the mic, and a roadie bum rushed him and shoved him off the stage.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1075 on: November 03, 2017, 10:29:43 AM »

Oh, no way!  Did you hang around afterward?  I was the guy shouting for Maddi to come out after the show ended.  And then that one dude climbed up on stage to try to grab one of JP's picks off the mic, and a roadie bum rushed him and shoved him off the stage.  :lol

No, we left but that is funny! Reminds me of the time when my hubby and I went to Metallica when I was pregnant. We were about 13 rows back and my hubby was trying to get a pick for me. He was fairly loaded so was being too "assertive" and they booted him lol! Glad it was at the end!  Hope DT comes back to Reno next time - I was quite surprised they came here :).

Offline shredder711

« Reply #1076 on: November 03, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
Show in Wichita, KS last night was amazing! Thank you guys for posting setlist info. I've been a huge DT fan since 1992 but there was a song I had never heard. Thanks for the suggestion of setlist.fm. I even just now put in a setlist for the Wichita show. Then I looked at the LA show setlist and realized that I missed a few things.  I had never heard Don't Look Past Me. Also, we didn't catch what was the name of that song that Myung did for his solo. Lots of firsts for this show.  Because we were young and poor when I first became a fan we never got to see DT live until 2002 in Tulsa, OK. We've seen them just about every tour since, though, even twice last tour. I can't recall ever seeing them perform Hell's Kitchen and, of course, Don't Look Past Me and the bass solo. Those were all great but I was about in tears when they did A Change Of Seasons as the encore. One of my all-time favorite DT pieces. And they nailed it so well. I am still smiling thinking about it.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1077 on: November 03, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
The Wichita show last night was wonderful.  James, in particular, seemed really inspired to nail the vocals on the I&W songs and he sounded fantastic.  The only disappointment was the crowd size -- not sure why they play cities like Wichita when they draw bigger crowds in other, larger cities within an easy drive distance.  Sure, they played Tulsa and Kansas City on The Astonishing tour, which is where I saw them last time, so I get it if they're trying to hit different cities rather than repeat, but both KC and Tulsa drew MUCH larger crowds than last night.  I was sitting in the 5th row and got to talking to several other groups of fans around me -- none of us were from the Wichita area and we all drove there from other areas just for DT.

Thanks for the suggestion of setlist.fm. I even just now put in a setlist for the Wichita show. Then I looked at the LA show setlist and realized that I missed a few things. 

I updated the Wichita setlist just now and completed it, shredder.   ;) :metal
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:57:26 PM by rickhawk80 »

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #1078 on: November 06, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »
Someone's uploaded a really good video of Don't Look Past Me being played.

Oh man, this is so awesome... I'd kill to hear it live!! I really hope it gets on a DVD or something. :biggrin:
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1079 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »
Wow, that was great.

Mangini!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1080 on: November 06, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »
Sounded good musically, but oof, those vocals. JLB sounded good on the softer stuff, but every time he had to belt something out, he fell into that yelp-y tone he does too much.  Hard to watch after a few minutes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1081 on: November 06, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »
Sounded good musically, but oof, those vocals. JLB sounded good on the softer stuff, but every time he had to belt something out, he fell into that yelp-y tone he does too much.  Hard to watch after a few minutes.

I'm convinced there's something in JLB's voice that just doesn't translate and record well with the phone video. If you listen to the youtube videos there are times like you describe where you're like 'eh...'....yet, the other night in Peoria JLB sounded great to me live.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1082 on: November 06, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »
He sounded stellar in Wichita, too.  Best I’ve heard him in years!   :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1083 on: November 06, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
Hmmmm, this is getting to be a Geddy Lee the last couple tours situation, where most footage shows him struggling badly, but most fans are like, "But he sounded great at the show I went to!"  I think the euphoria of a concert always makes certain things sound better than they really do.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1084 on: November 06, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »
Hmmmm, this is getting to be a Geddy Lee the last couple tours situation, where most footage shows him struggling badly, but most fans are like, "But he sounded great at the show I went to!"  I think the euphoria of a concert always makes certain things sound better than they really do.

whatever it is.....he sounded great at the show I went to!      :lol    Seriously though, JLB was great at Peoria and his stage presence/crowd interaction was fun as well. Certainly if you want to nit pic his performance maybe there were a couple spots here and there that one could point to and say 'SEE!!'....but, the dude sang his balls off at the show I saw.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind