Author Topic: New DT Tour dates  (Read 142459 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: New DT Tour dates
« Reply #385 on: November 02, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
I'm guessing that they probably get a sizable enough guarantee from the venues to cover costs, there just might not be much actual profit left over after the expenses are paid because of the low ticket sales.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #386 on: November 02, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
I'm guessing that they probably get a sizable enough guarantee from the venues to cover costs, there just might not be much actual profit left over after the expenses are paid because of the low ticket sales.

The loss is taken by the promoter, not the band. The guarantee might be partially paid if the promoter decides to cancel. Either way, DT gets money (and DT covers their related expenses such as crew, gas, lodging, etc). The promoter will just not bring DT during the next tour if the loss is big.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »

The loss is taken by the promoter, not the band. The guarantee might be partially paid if the promoter decides to cancel. Either way, DT gets money (and DT covers their related expenses such as crew, gas, lodging, etc). The promoter will just not bring DT during the next tour if the loss is big.

Ah, okay that makes sense. Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »
I don't think the band is completely in the clear though, I've definitely heard many bands complain about bad tours and how they lost a lot of money through them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online goo-goo

« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
I don't think the band is completely in the clear though, I've definitely heard many bands complain about bad tours and how they lost a lot of money through them.

The band would lose the money in unsold merchandise, some percentage of ticket revenue and probably not get paid a full guarantee. Steven Wilson mentioned that he lost money on his first couple of solo tours and made a small profit off his third. Yet you go to his shows and they seem to be completely full.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2016, 07:01:38 AM »
I don't think SW is losing money these days, for sure. He had to add additional tour dates for HCR because of high demand.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2016, 07:53:16 AM »
I don't think SW is losing money these days, for sure. He had to add additional tour dates for HCR because of high demand.

He definitely isn't on this last run. But he was more specific to the Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning tours. I'll be seeing him in two weeks in Dallas :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »
uhhhh from DT's facebook
Hey... since there are only a few weeks of shows left on The Astonishing Live tour here in the US before we take a break for The Holidays, we figured "What the heck!" Let's just all have some fun and add a few oldies but goodies to the show!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #393 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
Son of a bitch! I'm convinced the band reads this forum.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »
Whoa, for real?! That's huge.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2016, 09:17:24 AM »
It's kind of upsetting that it took them this long to give in to what the fans want, but maybe it also has to do with them hitting the south where they haven't played much.  Either way, that's a great treat for the fans who are going to the remaining shows.  :metal

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #396 on: November 07, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
Whoa, for real?! That's huge.
Yeah, this is a game changer if they keep it up.  I was going to Anaheim anyway but I'm sure they'll sell some extra tickets (and the place will go nuts) if they add 20-30 minutes of old stuff.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #397 on: November 07, 2016, 09:22:48 AM »
Also posted on the DT youtube channel, with the same message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8pFURwYrA

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #398 on: November 07, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
It's kind of upsetting that it took them this long to give in to what the fans want, but maybe it also has to do with them hitting the south where they haven't played much.  Either way, that's a great treat for the fans who are going to the remaining shows.  :metal

It's sort of shitty for those who've already seen it three times  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »

The only positive I can take from that is the songs are probably not going to be any deep cuts and one's I have seen many times before.  Granted I'd love to see them again and it would have made the two shows I went to more fun.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »

The only positive I can take from that is the songs are probably not going to be any deep cuts and one's I have seen many times before.  Granted I'd love to see them again and it would have made the two shows I went to more fun.

Only video I've seen regarding this was from the PMU clip on FB. Did the youtube link have something different? My guess it that they'll be playing 22-25 minutes of additional music. That should keep it to just under 3 hours. Assuming PMU, that leaves 13-16 additional minutes. I wonder if they'll play 1 or 2 songs in that time?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »

Indeed. However, it will have the intended effect and I'll go to see it now. I won't be paying full price, mind you, but I'll certainly go to see it.

edit: God damn it, naturally the Patriots are playing SNF that week. And against the unpredictable Seahawks. I guess I should wait and find out what the extra songs are now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »
Only video I've seen regarding this was from the PMU clip on FB. Did the youtube link have something different? My guess it that they'll be playing 22-25 minutes of additional music. That should keep it to just under 3 hours. Assuming PMU, that leaves 13-16 additional minutes. I wonder if they'll play 1 or 2 songs in that time?

The youtube video was PMU.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »

Indeed. However, it will have the intended effect and I'll go to see it now. I won't be paying full price, mind you, but I'll certainly go to see it.

edit: God damn it, naturally the Patriots are playing SNF that week. And against the unpredictable Seahawks. I guess I should wait and find out what the extra songs are now.

Unless they intend to add more, the only addition, last night at least, was Pull Me Under according to setlist.fm.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »
There were no additions in St. Louis last night.  Just the Astonishing.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2016, 06:28:02 PM »
There were no additions in St. Louis last night.  Just the Astonishing.

I see. Well, we all know how accurate setlist.fm can be from time to time. :P
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #406 on: November 07, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »
That is really weird though. I mean, who would fill in a setlist solely based on hearsay from an announcement?

Mr. Ister, any chance you walked out too early? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #407 on: November 07, 2016, 07:20:42 PM »
Nope. I was there, too, and it was nothing but TA. And it was awesome.  :coolio :hat

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #408 on: November 08, 2016, 12:36:56 AM »
3-song encore: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2016/arvest-bank-theatre-at-the-midland-kansas-city-mo-2bfac42a.html

I saw this coming when Jordan had #pullmeunder as one of the tags in an Instagram post. I'm surprised they didn't do it earlier, but they've been really pushing this leg of the tour on social media with all the behind-the-scenes photos, videos of attendees praising the show etc. so they must be doing everything they can to improve the attendance.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: November 08, 2016, 05:19:01 AM »
3-song encore: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2016/arvest-bank-theatre-at-the-midland-kansas-city-mo-2bfac42a.html

I saw this coming when Jordan had #pullmeunder as one of the tags in an Instagram post. I'm surprised they didn't do it earlier, but they've been really pushing this leg of the tour on social media with all the behind-the-scenes photos, videos of attendees praising the show etc. so they must be doing everything they can to improve the attendance.

Nice.  Im surprised they went with the double encore though.  I wonder if anyone left thinking it was over after the first encore?  Or maybe setlist.fm is just wrong and there was only one encore.

Also, those three songs seem about right to what I would have thought.  Nothing out of the ordinary DT setlist from recent years.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #410 on: November 08, 2016, 07:14:18 AM »
As I Am, TSCO, and PMU is a nice little addition to the set. Good stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #411 on: November 08, 2016, 07:27:12 AM »

Yawn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #412 on: November 08, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »

Yawn.

Yeah, those are honestly some of the few I could care less about seeing. I find AIA incredibly boring, and I've seen TSCO and PMU many times over.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #413 on: November 08, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
  I find AIA incredibly boring, 

As do I. It starts off really cool, but it's 7 or 8 minutes of blah.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »

Yawn.

Yeah, those are honestly some of the few I could care less about seeing. I find AIA incredibly boring, and I've seen TSCO and PMU many times over.
Certainly not the most creative choices but it's more than I was planning for when I bought my ticket so it's all good.  And TSCO may be my favorite track of all time (and it with the other two weren't on the Along for the Ride tour) so I certainly can't complain.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #415 on: November 08, 2016, 07:48:21 AM »
They might not be the 3 I would pick, but those are 3 of my daughters' favorites, so I'm thrilled!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #416 on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:01 AM »

Well if they are aiming to pull in the more casual DT fan aren't those probably three safe bets to do that? I mean, I agree with you (I actually really like AIA) but I've seen DT play all those songs multiple times live. But I'm guessing their target audience with this move is the more casual fan, not the die hards. The die hards are probably going to come to the show any way, playing three of your more universally known songs that usually go over well live gets those folks on the fence to show up.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #417 on: November 08, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
I think these are great choices. Fitting the requirement of relatively shorter songs that are popular and good (and ones they already know with MM), they're probably the three I'd have picked too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #418 on: November 08, 2016, 08:08:03 AM »
I think these are great choices. Fitting the requirement of relatively shorter songs that are popular and good (and ones they already know with MM), they're probably the three I'd have picked too.

Agreed. If I personally could pick songs to fit that encore, I'd pick different songs, but that's not the point. The point is to try to draw a crowd, put butts in seats, those will probably do that to a degree.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #419 on: November 08, 2016, 08:12:32 AM »
Yeah, I have to agree, even if they aren't necessarily the songs I would have picked to fill the time if I were making the set list based on what I personally would want to see. 

Interestingly, I don't think I have ever actually seen them play PMU at a show.  Without going back and checking set lists, I cannot be sure.  But I don't recall ever having seen it live.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."