Author Topic: New DT Tour dates  (Read 142530 times)

Offline dtvoices94

Re: New DT Tour dates
« Reply #350 on: October 20, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
I get it about cell phones once the show starts but at the Kirby Center, they were relentless pre-show.  I just told the usher I'm texting my wife because she thinks I ran out for milk.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »
re: phones

I used to be the person who wanted to record all the things. Now its a quick few shots during the show (Pull out phone... point.. tap tap tap taptap tap tap. then put it away) and MAYBE a snapchat video to annoy my friends. but that's it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
I get it about cell phones once the show starts but at the Kirby Center, they were relentless pre-show.  I just told the usher I'm texting my wife because she thinks I ran out for milk.
See I agree about that -- I guess we just didn't have a run-in?  I was using my phone just to piss around on while I waited for the show to start. An usher did make a general announcement about phones to us but I took it to mean just have them away when the show starts... maybe we got a less hardass usher in our section.  I get wanting phones away during the show, and I even get "no pictures of the set" restrictions, but no phones at all while you're sitting around waiting?  Yeah, that's messed up.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2016, 07:13:27 AM »
Port Chester show was really great. I'd still say the show in Wallingford CT was the best of the three I went to from a sound standpoint. The Oakdale is top notch and is a modern theater. As gorgeous and acoustically friendly places like The Capitol Theatre are, they weren't designed having sound systems like Dream Theater in mind when they were built 100 years ago. Nonetheless, it still sounded pretty damn good. The venue wasn't full, but the band seemed into it, and as soon as Hymm of a Thousand Voices came on, the room exploded. The crowd was into it and the energy was overflowing until the credits rolled. It was probably a nice sigh of relief for the band given the onslaught of negativity they seem to get when the post anything Astonishing related to their social media pages. I really enjoyed The Astonishing, and I'm really bummed we'll probably never see it played again after this tour.

Broke the golden rule during the bow.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2016, 09:24:52 AM »

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #355 on: October 25, 2016, 08:01:50 AM »
I'm just going to post this again, because now that we are only 11 days away from the Columbus show, I have no idea how it hasn't  been cancelled. I hope it doesn't, but it will be a bit depressing either way:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/dream-theater-presents-the-astonishing-live-columbus-ohio-11-05-2016/event/0500512EFAD05146?ab=reloaded
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: October 25, 2016, 08:15:56 AM »
I'm just going to post this again, because now that we are only 11 days away from the Columbus show, I have no idea how it hasn't  been cancelled. I hope it doesn't, but it will be a bit depressing either way:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/dream-theater-presents-the-astonishing-live-columbus-ohio-11-05-2016/event/0500512EFAD05146?ab=reloaded

Looks like the norm for this leg.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #357 on: October 25, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »

Looks like the norm for this leg.

Yikes, that's a rough looking ticket map.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #358 on: October 25, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »
Whenever there are more available seats than seats sold (and in THIS case, WAY MORE available seats), it certainly is a sad thing to see for a favorite band :facepalm:

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #359 on: October 25, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »
I've said it before, but they will need to do something HUGE and drastic for the next album. Whether a fan of it or not, I feel they need to do a Train of Thought type album to show everyone they still have their metal balls!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #360 on: October 26, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
IF I am deciphering TicketMaster properly it looks like Atlanta is about 2/3 sold.  Still almost 6 weeks to show date.  Would love to send the guys a message about their fan base here with a sell out.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #361 on: October 27, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »
Better start saving some cash to travel to those countless European festivals where DT plays an abridged setlist, because this I suspect will be the last U.S. second leg we see for quite a while. 

These maps (geesh Toledo, Ohio! what happened?) are a clear sign that if it ain't metal, the crowds won't come.

On the brighter side, I don't miss the drafts of weed that pollute every metal show, as the Broadway Astonishing air has been pleasantly nice n clean.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
Better start saving some cash to travel to those countless European festivals where DT plays an abridged setlist, because this I suspect will be the last U.S. second leg we see for quite a while. 

These maps (geesh Toledo, Ohio! what happened?) are a clear sign that if it ain't metal, the crowds won't come.

On the brighter side, I don't miss the drafts of weed that pollute every metal show, as the Broadway Astonishing air has been pleasantly nice n clean.

I burned down plenty in the parking lot  :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2016, 02:54:54 PM »

:rollin  I don't have the balls to light up in an indoor concert hall.  I feel like it pisses too many people off and/or draws too much attention... but at an outdoor venue  :hat

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »

:rollin  I don't have the balls to light up in an indoor concert hall.  I feel like it pisses too many people off and/or draws too much attention... but at an outdoor venue  :hat
This is why I laugh when youngsters tell me "man, I'd kill to have seen that show." No you wouldn't, you'd have hated it. You send one of them back in time to 1978 to see Rush and all they'd do is bitch when they got back. "It sounded like shit. People wouldn't sit down. There was too much smoke. My jacket smells like weed now. Christians told me I was going to hell. My ears won't stop ringing. Some drunk dude spilled beer on me. Some girl actually exposed her breasts. Man, it was awful."

Fucking great times.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
I'm going to the Louisville show tomorrow. As soon who usually hits up any Ohio date because I live here, I'm glad there are some other shows within reasonable driving distance (outside of Ohio) of where I live this time. Originally, I thought I had some serious bad luck because I had committed to doing other things during all three days DT were in Ohio on this leg (Lakewood, Toledo, and Columbus). My brother and I dig the album quite a bit, so we don't mind driving a little extra to see the show again. It'll be his second time seeing it and my third time (Cincinnati, Los Angeles). Looking forward to it!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: October 27, 2016, 05:30:35 PM »

This is why I laugh when youngsters tell me "man, I'd kill to have seen that show." No you wouldn't, you'd have hated it. You send one of them back in time to 1978 to see Rush and all they'd do is bitch when they got back. "It sounded like shit. People wouldn't sit down. There was too much smoke. My jacket smells like weed now. Christians told me I was going to hell. My ears won't stop ringing. Some drunk dude spilled beer on me. Some girl actually exposed her breasts. Man, it was awful."

Fucking great times.

Sign me up for that trip back in time

Offline greyghost

« Reply #367 on: October 27, 2016, 05:36:28 PM »
Port Chester show was really great. I'd still say the show in Wallingford CT was the best of the three I went to from a sound standpoint. The Oakdale is top notch and is a modern theater.

I think it may have been my favorite DT show ever! (and the sound in Port Chester was actually a lot better than it's been in the Oakdale several times that I've seen them there--I didn't see them there for this tour, though) The sound was fantastic, the staging etc. was great, and I don't know what's been happening for all you folks posting about the low energy and lack of interaction with the audience--In Port Chester the band was on fire, the sound was great, and both James and JP interacted more (and more effectively) with the crowd than I've ever seen them do (and the crowd was loud and responsive from the opening notes of the overture).  Great tour! I love TA, so your mileage may vary, obv...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #368 on: October 27, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »
These maps (geesh Toledo, Ohio! what happened?) are a clear sign that if it ain't metal, the crowds won't come..

That's not the issue. The issue is a) TA just wasn't that well received outside the hardcore circles and b) the second leg is a 100% exact copy of the first leg. The people that wanted to check out TA have seen it.

Had they done a "Best of TA + other DT songs", more people would have shown up I think. Sadly, DT are *really* locked into their performances these days.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #369 on: October 27, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »
Caution - long first post!
I’ve been reading this forum for a little while now and decided to join up after seeing “The Astonishing” live here in Cleveland this past Tuesday night at the Lakewood Civic Auditorium.  I was impressed with the concert and thought it was time and money well spent – more on this later. I’ve read enough on this forum to know that some like TA and some don’t. I think it is a unique addition to their discography, not their best (though in my top 5) but certainly not their least best(!)

I jumped at the chance to see them play TA here on a smaller second leg of the tour and bought two tickets so the wife and I could attend. The last time I saw them was 2009 when they opened for Iron Maiden. At the time the show was announced there was no way to know the Indian’s would be hosting the first game of the World Series the same night. Already scheduled was the CAV’s first home game of the season, the presentation of the championship rings and the hoisting of the banner at the Q. I don’t know if these events affected attendance but I guess there were about 500 people or so in the crowd.

The evening was a bit more complicated because my wife had surgery on both of her feet two weeks before and was using a small, four wheel walker with a seat in the middle as a wheelchair to get around when there was a lot of travelling to be done. We couldn’t use the main theater entrance but instead were directed to the handicap access door adjacent to the main entrance doors. A short walk down the hall in front of us then a left through a few sets of double doors took us past the entrance to the stage and then into the theater. Our seats were located nearby and after we were seated the usher took the walker and put it in the hallway just outside the double doors. We couldn’t keep it in the theater as it was considered a hazard in case of a fire. Our seats were located four rows back from the stage off to the side – directly in front of JP.
About 15 minutes before the show started I went looking for the walker so that I knew where it was in case my wife needed to get up during the show and I needed to get it. As it turns out they parked the walker directly across the hall from the room where the band was warming up. I could clearly see JR and JP through the window. Cool.

The show started about 7:45 and the only hiccup in the first set came from JR who inadvertently hit a guitar sound bite on his keyboard instead of the piano intro he needed for the song he was starting. He quickly cut the sound bite and a few whistles and cheers erupted from the crowd. It was all good!

The second set went off without a hitch and when they started Hymm of A Thousand Voices the crowd got up and stayed up the rest of the show. All in all everyone had a great time.

Once the house lights came on I exited the theater to get the walker and after passing through the first set of double doors  I encountered JP talking with his guitar tech (guess) and JR leaning against the second set of double doors obviously waiting for JP to finish his conversation. I walked right by JR, gave him a quick pat on the shoulder and said great show and great CD! He said thank you while I continued on my way to get the walker.

This was the sixth time I’ve seen the band live and they sounded great. I’m very pleased that they brought TA to Cleveland. I don’t think anyone was disappointed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: October 27, 2016, 07:06:04 PM »
 :metal nice, welcome to the forum.

I've been thinking a lot lately, I actually think last week seeing them was my favorite of the 13 other times.  I think it also had to do with some personal experiences like shaking JP's hand and being so close, but also the performance was really solid and I really enjoy TA.  It wasn't my favorite setlist, but my favorite overall experience at a DT concert.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #371 on: October 27, 2016, 08:10:18 PM »
These maps (geesh Toledo, Ohio! what happened?) are a clear sign that if it ain't metal, the crowds won't come..

That's not the issue. The issue is a) TA just wasn't that well received outside the hardcore circles and b) the second leg is a 100% exact copy of the first leg. The people that wanted to check out TA have seen it.

Had they done a "Best of TA + other DT songs", more people would have shown up I think. Sadly, DT are *really* locked into their performances these days.

I fully agree that adding setlist variety would have VASTLY improved ticket sales on the second leg.  This Broadway inspired album (and "sit down" tour) just wasn't met with enthusiasm from the cross-over metal fans that are a major part of the base.

Trust me, DT was fully locked into its performance of Scenes From a Memory when I saw it performed 5 times in three US legs (and even that got boring) so I can understand the band being proud of the Astonishing's live presentation and wanting to celebrate it with a wider US audience.  Just didn't work out as they expected, and this will likely impact the scope of future U.S. tours.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:33:09 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #372 on: October 27, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
  to 1978 to see Rush........ Some girl actually exposed her breasts.

I don't know, Bart. That seems like a stretch.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #373 on: October 27, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »

A girl at a Rush show?  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #374 on: October 27, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »

A girl at a Rush show?  :lol
Maybe there was a great looking guitar tech stage right at the time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #375 on: October 28, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »

Depends on how old the girl is. They're pretty firm at the beginning.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #376 on: October 28, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
Trust me, DT was fully locked into its performance of Scenes From a Memory when I saw it performed 5 times in three US legs (and even that got boring) so I can understand the band being proud of the Astonishing's live presentation and wanting to celebrate it with a wider US audience.

That's understandable, but it's been an overall issue with post-MP DT I find. Their setlist already didn't change for previous second legs, both ADTOE and DT12 I believe. That is, they seriously tour the exact same sequence of songs, clicked to the millisecond, for 2 years straight for a given tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2016, 08:53:31 AM »
Trust me, DT was fully locked into its performance of Scenes From a Memory when I saw it performed 5 times in three US legs (and even that got boring) so I can understand the band being proud of the Astonishing's live presentation and wanting to celebrate it with a wider US audience.

That's understandable, but it's been an overall issue with post-MP DT I find. Their setlist already didn't change for previous second legs, both ADTOE and DT12 I believe. That is, they seriously tour the exact same sequence of songs, clicked to the millisecond, for 2 years straight for a given tour.

ADTOE had rotating setlists and did change from leg to leg, but had a lot of the same core songs performed every night.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #378 on: October 28, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »

True on the click, and if you've been to multiple shows on the DT12 tour, you probably noticed the rehearsed stage queues.  One of the joys of early Dream Theater were the unexpected live nuances (and a reason to collect the classic bootlegs). 

Although, on the other hand . . . Space Dye Vest.   Shattered Fortress.  The live choir in Boston. The return of the acoustic set. 

And did I mention Space Dye Vest?

So there have been some surprising moments, despite the lack of setlist variety and overly staged performances.

Offline mioist

« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2016, 09:02:39 AM »
Hello everyone! I regret to see that ticket sales are not that strong this time around, although I do believe seeing the Astonishing album performed in its entirety is a must have. Just wanted to know if any of you may have heard any updates about a second European leg? Will there be one, any thoughts?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #380 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
I hope there is. If we don't get a filmed version of this, I'm going to be pissed.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #381 on: November 01, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
I hope there is. If we don't get a filmed version of this, I'm going to be pissed.

Not filming The Astonishing for a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD release would be unbelievably stupid considering all the effort that went into making the entire live show around that album and then just playing the new album on this world tour.

In slightly related news, JP did say on the Facebook Live chat yesterday that future tours would be different (I'm paraphrasing and wish I could remember what he said exactly). It didn't sound like the tours next year would be Astonishing-only.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2016, 05:59:13 AM »
I'm thinking about going to Tuscon. Anyone going to this show?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »
I looked at the map of available seats at the Columbus, Ohio show that is in 3 days, and looks like they may have only sold 1/3 of the seats. It holds 2800 people, but I bet its less than 800-1000 seats sold. Not good at all.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
They must be prepared financially, this might be a spectacular, admirable tour but it's still extremely polarizing and a lot of fans just don't care. That's just how it is when you do something truly different.