Author Topic: New DT Tour dates  (Read 142427 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: New DT Tour dates
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
Soooo presale begins in 9 minutes and anyone know if there is a code?  There is no information I can find on what kind of presale it even is.

The kind of presale where you give them cash, they keep it, and you get nothing but the right to assist to a concert.
Only to find in horror that you had to bring a detailed ID with you to pick the tickets at the venue. Poor guys at the Teatro Diana show, they had to go back home to pick it up and then return, they entered when Descent of the NOMAC's was starting.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2016, 07:58:58 AM »
Soooo presale begins in 9 minutes and anyone know if there is a code?  There is no information I can find on what kind of presale it even is.

The kind of presale where you give them cash, they keep it, and you get nothing but the right to assist to a concert.
Only to find in horror that you had to bring a detailed ID with you to pick the tickets at the venue. Poor guys at the Teatro Diana show, they had to go back home to pick it up and then return, they entered when Descent of the NOMAC's was starting.

:lol 

Actually found that today is a AMEX presale and tomorrow is another presale but not sure what that is.  I don't have amex, maybe when my coworker gets in I can use his and pay him back.  That's assuming this presale even has good seats.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
bluehaze it sounds like you have a lot of issues with, basically, DT's success. Also - you should contact the promoters of some of the venues you are taking about in FL and inquire about them bringing in DT, that would be a much better place to start since venues and promoters are essential to a band like DT (read-not the biggest rock tour in the world right now like GnR) playing certain cities or areas.

One would think that a two time Grammy nominated band has earned enough success to garner the attention of the promoters. They have played here many times in the last 25 years, just not in the last 5 years. All of their clubs shows were filled to the brim and all of the larger shows have had at least 3/4 filled venues. That should be more than enough to garner the attention of promoters. As I said earlier, sellouts are rare these days. Promoters know that and bands know that. If they only expect to play at sellout locations than they are not realistic. Do I have issues with the band's success? I have thought in the past that gee they are getting big and are no longer there for their original fans that lifted them up and gave them their early success. So in a way, it's like finding a secret location in Switzerland that is all your own and then once the word gets out everybody shows up and ruins it for you. That's my comparison to Dream Theater. They've become what Pink Floyd became: a machine. I see why Portnoy left the band. He felt it was becoming a machine....comparisons to the theme of the new album anyone?

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
I just wrote the Olympia Theater imploring them to bring Dream Theater there for their fall tour. Here is a link to this beautiful venue...https://www.olympiatheater.org/   Carl Palmer and his ELP Experience played there last month and they were awesome.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2016, 09:59:16 AM »
One would think that a two time Grammy nominated band has earned enough success to garner the attention of the promoters.

Yup, I agree that, IMO, DT should have the attention of promoters, but (1) that's coming from a bias fan perspective and (2) I don't think two Grammy nominations that don't even get awarded during the live Grammy broadcast have a lot to do with anything.

They have played here many times in the last 25 years, just not in the last 5 years. All of their clubs shows were filled to the brim and all of the larger shows have had at least 3/4 filled venues. That should be more than enough to garner the attention of promoters. As I said earlier, sellouts are rare these days. Promoters know that and bands know that.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here, but once again, that's on the promoters, not the band.

Do I have issues with the band's success? I have thought in the past that gee they are getting big and are no longer there for their original fans that lifted them up and gave them their early success.

How are they no longer there for their original fans? They are a band, they create music, distribute it, and then tour to play shows. That's pretty much it. Not sure I follow.

So in a way, it's like finding a secret location in Switzerland that is all your own and then once the word gets out everybody shows up and ruins it for you. That's my comparison to Dream Theater. They've become what Pink Floyd became: a machine. I see why Portnoy left the band. He felt it was becoming a machine....comparisons to the theme of the new album anyone?

So you like something less simply because more people now like that same thing? That's weird. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like based on my opinion, not based on how many other people do or don't like the same.

And the MP - DT split has been discussed to death here, so I'm not going to touch that...

I just wrote the Olympia Theater imploring them to bring Dream Theater there for their fall tour. Here is a link to this beautiful venue...https://www.olympiatheater.org/   Carl Palmer and his ELP Experience played there last month and they were awesome.

That's the right move, and unfortunately pretty much all you can do. I hope they continue to release more dates and that something pops up near you!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »
I agree with BH that it's pretty annoying when they play 20 dates within a hundred miles of NYC and skip the whole of the South. Particularly this time when it didn't even sell very well. But, as I said before, the South is a different logistical challenge. You can't just go to Fla. You have to hit several places in the vicinity to make the trip worthwhile. That's why bands tend to play 3 shows in Texas or none at all. Add to that, I still think their venue requirements hurt the fans quite a bit. There are a lot of excellent 1-2k concert venues in Dallas, but they won't play anywhere accept the far out of their league 6500 seat Nextstage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
If they don't make Houston, Austin, San Antonio or Dallas on this tour I'll tell everybody DT said "We don't play for rednecks".
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »
I feel bad for DT fans in the south, honestly.  Really sucks.  We in the northeast are spoiled.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
I feel bad for DT fans in the south, honestly.  Really sucks.  We in the northeast are spoiled.

Yeah, I do too. I've said it before, I still can't help but think that if it was important enough to the band, they'd make it happen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: New DT Tour date
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
looks like, so far, these are all places they have yet to play on this tour. I like that; there could be hope for the south!

lol yeah right.  the closest I expect them to get to Alabama is Atlanta, so a 3 hour drive for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
Yes.  Four of us were at the show, and two of us moved from our seats down close up to the balcony, yet it barely made a difference.  My ears took a beating from the concert and is a large reason why I mostly avoid concerts now (don't want to be deaf before I hit 50).
Ummmm....there's this thing called ear plugs. I've used them for almost every single concert I've been to (beginning with my 5th concert - seeing Metallica early on the black album tour, and I've been to well over 100 since then) and my hearing is great and I don't walk out of the venue in pain or worrying about my hearing. They may take away a little something - especially the crisp highs if you get the cheap types like I do - but they're a much better choice than the alternative, IMO. Oh, and I'm a year older than you.   :P

I hate ear plugs. I've tried various kinds, even the ones that are not that cheap, and none of them make anything sound good.  They take away all the highs and make the bass louder and the overall sound boomy and muffled.  Sure, that's better than not being able to hear at all, but I can still hear fine.  Not subjecting myself to any concerts the last 14 months has helped.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2016, 09:55:33 PM »
Now I use earplugs for the opening acts then remove them when the band I came for starts playing.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:44 PM »
Well, I wasn't going to go to this...

Then someone offered me a face value front row ticket for a show 20 minutes away, so it's a no brainer.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2016, 06:34:08 AM »
New dates posted

Oct 10
Capitol Center for the Arts
Concord, NH

Oct 21
Merrill Auditorium
Portland, ME

Oct 29
Star Plaza Theatre
Merrillville, IN

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2016, 06:53:51 AM »
Hmmm... 9 days between New Hampshire and New Jersey with a NY date already announced for shortly after. I wonder what's going on in that timeframe?. It's not like New England is very big. Crossing fingers for another CT stop. The only Oakdale nights not open in that time frame are the 14th and 17th, so I suppose it's a possibility.

I still don't get the need for three dates in PA. Possible filming?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:43 AM »
I still don't get the need for three dates in PA. Possible filming?

That was my thinking. Perhaps they will be using an orchestra for filming and want 1-2 shows to play with them prior to filming (or film all three dates and choose the best footage). The three shows are within relatively close proximity which would make sense for transporting an entire orchestra and their equipment (and the costs involved).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
New dates posted

Oct 10
Capitol Center for the Arts
Concord, NH

Oct 21
Merrill Auditorium
Portland, ME

Oct 29
Star Plaza Theatre
Merrillville, IN

It's so depressing... Oh well. It IS nice to see Maine and New Hampshire getting in on the action for a change. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:44:32 PM by bluehaze »

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2016, 06:01:32 PM »
I'm in!  Second time seeing The Astonishing and only the second time DT has come to Indy!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2016, 07:14:28 PM »
What stops you guys from traveling?
I seriously moved mountains to get free time to go, and it was a 10+ hour drive.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
I seriously moved mountains to get free time to go, and it was a 10+ hour drive.
I've traveled multiple times to see them in the past. I driven from Homestead Florida to see them in Orlando and Ybor City near Tampa. I've even flown to Europe to see them at Dreamcon 2000 in Den Bosch, Netherlands and London and Sheffield. Hell, just driving from Homestead to Pompano Beach is a two hour drive each way. I've done my share. It's time for THEM to come south of the Mason Dixon line and within a 1000 miles of us in Florida. Those in the Northeast only have to drive 2 to 3 hours to see them in any number of places. If they can pay for the expense of Flying to Australia for 3 shows, certainly they can come to Florida and Georgia again. The Northeast is SPOILED!!!!! Maybe the next time I travel to Europe (if there is a next time) I'll consider planning it around their tour over there so I can catch a few shows. It is an interesting way to see Europe and it takes one to cities and towns I wouldn't otherwise consider seeing. For now, all of my vacation time has been chewed up by back surgeries. I can barely walk and a wheelchair is in my future so I'm not sure if I still have travel in my future. We'll see.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:07:27 PM by bluehaze »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2016, 07:23:41 AM »
For now, all of my vacation time has been chewed up by back surgeries. I can barely walk and a wheelchair is in my future 

Geez, Haze, I'm sorry to hear that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2016, 09:43:36 AM »
For now, all of my vacation time has been chewed up by back surgeries. I can barely walk and a wheelchair is in my future 

Geez, Haze, I'm sorry to hear that.

I appreciate that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
I've traveled multiple times to see them in the past. I driven from Homestead Florida to see them in Orlando and Ybor City near Tampa. I've even flown to Europe to see them at Dreamcon 2000 in Den Bosch, Netherlands and London and Sheffield. Hell, just driving from Homestead to Pompano Beach is a two hour drive each way. I've done my share. It's time for THEM to come south of the Mason Dixon line and within a 1000 miles of us in Florida. Those in the Northeast only have to drive 2 to 3 hours to see them in any number of places. If they can pay for the expense of Flying to Australia for 3 shows, certainly they can come to Florida and Georgia again. The Northeast is SPOILED!!!!! Maybe the next time I travel to Europe (if there is a next time) I'll consider planning it around their tour over there so I can catch a few shows. It is an interesting way to see Europe and it takes one to cities and towns I wouldn't otherwise consider seeing. For now, all of my vacation time has been chewed up by back surgeries. I can barely walk and a wheelchair is in my future so I'm not sure if I still have travel in my future. We'll see.
Damn, dude, way to reply with authority.  :lol

And I've certainly done my bid traveling to see them, as well. That doesn't change the fact that people in NE are spoiled rotten (and not just by DT), while the South is often an afterthought (mostly just DT).

That sucks about the back thing. On the bright side, some venues really treat cripples very well. A lot of places set aside front row seats for handicap seating. Some friends saw Tool at Red Rocks and not only did they get front row seats, but they got a ride in from the parking lot in a golf cart.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
What is the deal with releasing these dates with a slow drip?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
Yeah dude but it's like the poor guys here at México from a city named Monterrey. They were very spoiled until DT decided not to go there this time. As far as I know it's not the band who says "I'll play there at all costs". Blame your local venues for bringing Justin Bieber and not DT.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
Yeah dude but it's like the poor guys here at México from a city named Monterrey. They were very spoiled until DT decided not to go there this time. As far as I know it's not the band who says "I'll play there at all costs". Blame your local venues for bringing Justin Bieber and not DT.
Where is the onus on their tour promoter? They have one of the biggest promotion/production companies working for them. That company even has an office in Miami. To use Monterrey as a comparison to the Northeast is a bit off target. The Northeast has now had at least ten shows all within a two to three hour driving distance. I appreciate that they want to play areas they have never played before (Maine, New Hampshire) but that just exposes the ridiculousness of their not making it to the South; afterall, NOBODY can make the argument that Portland has more fans than say Miami or Orlando or that their venues think they can do a better job in selling the concerts to the people of Portland versus Miami. There is just no way that they can make the argument that the promoters in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston are to blame for not being interested. That idea just defies logic and truth. Again, WHERE IS THEIR TOUR PROMOTER TO MAKE IT HAPPEN? He is obviously not doing a very good job in selling the band in the South.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:40:15 PM by bluehaze »

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »
Damn, dude, way to reply with authority.  :lol

And I've certainly done my bid traveling to see them, as well. That doesn't change the fact that people in NE are spoiled rotten (and not just by DT), while the South is often an afterthought (mostly just DT).

That sucks about the back thing. On the bright side, some venues really treat cripples very well. A lot of places set aside front row seats for handicap seating. Some friends saw Tool at Red Rocks and not only did they get front row seats, but they got a ride in from the parking lot in a golf cart.
Regarding handicap treatment, This is true. When I saw Carl Palmer at the Olympia Theater in Miami, they noticed I was walking with a bad limp and a cane and they asked where I was sitting. We told them up in the balcony. They gave us seats in the 11 row on the floor which I thought was very nice and cool of them. I recently wrote the Olympia Theater to ask them to bring DT there as it is a gorgeous theater and just right for this tour. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2016, 06:05:15 AM »
Particularly this time when it didn't even sell very well. But, as I said before, the South is a different logistical challenge.

:huh:
I thought they did ok for their US standards...

EDTI:
Meanwhile, from DT fb page (i won't comment about the official fb page not being able to use one of their official photos to create such an awful image...)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:43:16 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
Where is the onus on their tour promoter? They have one of the biggest promotion/production companies working for them. That company even has an office in Miami. To use Monterrey as a comparison to the Northeast is a bit off target. The Northeast has now had at least ten shows all within a two to three hour driving distance. I appreciate that they want to play areas they have never played before (Maine, New Hampshire) but that just exposes the ridiculousness of their not making it to the South; afterall, NOBODY can make the argument that Portland has more fans than say Miami or Orlando or that their venues think they can do a better job in selling the concerts to the people of Portland versus Miami. There is just no way that they can make the argument that the promoters in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston are to blame for not being interested. That idea just defies logic and truth. Again, WHERE IS THEIR TOUR PROMOTER TO MAKE IT HAPPEN? He is obviously not doing a very good job in selling the band in the South.

I don't know what you mean by "their tour promoter."  There is no such thing as a band's "tour promoter."  Promoters work in local markets and do not work for the bands.  They contract with bands and labels to plan tours in their local markets. 

As far as the argument that "There is just no way that they can make the argument that the promoters in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston are to blame for not being interested," the argument is what it is.  If you don't believe it's true, then that's fine.  If you want to prove that it isn't true, then please tell us precisely which promoters in those markets have expressed interest in booking DT and believe they could do it and make it profitable for the band.  I'm sure the band would love to know who they should be getting in touch with. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
Lakewood, OH and Toledo, OH just announced. Sure wish they would've went to Columbus this time.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »
Lakewood, OH and Toledo, OH just announced. Sure wish they would've went to Columbus this time.

Oh man, Lakewood is probably only about 2 or 2 and a half hours from me.... Might consider going

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »
The NJ show is selling HORRIBLY. Can't say I'm surprised.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »
Facebook says coming soon to California.  Maybe dinner theater at The Grove in Anaheim, which they usually hit on their second CA leg?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
The NJ show is selling HORRIBLY. Can't say I'm surprised.

Yup, I noticed as well.  That venue looks huge and nothing but the front floor section is sold. 

What is cool, and if maybe there is some interest in it, I can help organize, but there are the little boxes along the sides.  Some of those boxes are completely unsold.  Would DTF be interested in getting a box to ourselves? 

https://www.ticketmaster.com/dream-theater-presents-the-astonishing-live-newark-new-jersey-10-19-2016/event/000050FA1F9EA8F0?artistid=744581&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=200&tm_link=search_msg-0_000050FA1F9EA8F0

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »
I'll be hitting one of these, most likely. Still a 3-4 hour drive from southern Ohio, but I'll make the trip. My youngest brother will tag along and I have a few buddies who couldn't make the Cincy show on the last leg, so they'll probably go as well.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies