Author Topic: New DT Tour dates  (Read 142402 times)

Offline TJPNET

Re: New DT Tour date
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »
Press release says they'll be playing The Astonishing.

AUGUST 1, 2016 - Roadrunner Records’ group Dream Theater has announced details of a fall North American headline tour. The trek, which gets underway October 5th at Bethlehem, PA’s Sands Bethlehem Event Center, will see the pioneering group performing their widely acclaimed double concept album The Astonishing in immersive and interactive settings for a unique and unparalleled live experience. Pre-sale tickets and VIP packages for select North American dates go on sale this Wednesday, August 3rd at 10am local right HERE with general on sale starting Friday, August 5th. Additional dates will be announced in the coming weeks. For up-to-the-minute news and ticket information please visit bit.ly/dt2016US.

Here's hoping Salt Lake City happens this time.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
 "immersive and interactive settings for a unique and unparalleled live experience"

Bit of an oversell.  I mean, exactly how was it immersive and interactive?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 03:50:18 PM »
"immersive and interactive settings for a unique and unparalleled live experience"

You know, you can accompany the band by clapping your hands... :P

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »

Haha.  You know, I honestly felt like the only chump that clapped on the correct cue during "Hymn of a Thousand Voices" 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »

Ha!

Seriously, though - maybe this time the stage production will be expanded.
The 'interactive' bit could refer to the NOMAC taking pictures of fans and projecting them on the screen?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »
I'm sure that is exactly what it is referring to.  Like I said, a bit of an oversell in my opinion.  It's a photo kiosk that most of the audience overlooked, but the press release makes the tour sound like a virtual reality theme park experience! 

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 08:37:52 PM »
Seems like we have 6-7 dates in the NE of America, with a gap between the PA and NY shows, then another between NY and NJ, not leaving much room to travel down south. That's concerning to me. If they skip the southern eastern section of the country AGAIN while playing 4 more shows in a state they already visited this year, I'm not going to be too happy.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2016, 12:31:54 AM »
The Astonishing
Encore: Scenes From a Memory.

3 hour and a half show!
  :hat
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2016, 06:16:03 AM »
Nothing against Pennsylvania, but why are they playing 3 shows there? I really wish the Newark show wasn't on a Wednesday. I would have loved to have gone down there for the night=.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2016, 06:31:39 AM »
My only hope of seeing them this cycle is if they play KC which they normally do. We'll see.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »
Oct28

Palace Theatre

Louisville, KY

Wow

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »
I really wish the Newark show wasn't on a Wednesday. I would have loved to have gone down there for the night=.

Said no one ever  :lol

Newark is a shit hole.  I really wish they were playing somewhere else in NJ/NYC, but then again I've never gone to that venue.  Also, I think I'm more interested in a potential DTF meet up again than the actual concert.  Another show where you can't use your phone, stand, move around, and act like you are at a concert is very uninteresting although I do believe I will go to support the band and enjoy the music.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »
I really wish the Newark show wasn't on a Wednesday. I would have loved to have gone down there for the night=.

Newark is a shit hole.  I really wish they were playing somewhere else in NJ/NYC, but then again I've never gone to that venue.  Also, I think I'm more interested in a potential DTF meet up again than the actual concert.  Another show where you can't use your phone, stand, move around, and act like you are at a concert is very uninteresting although I do believe I will go to support the band and enjoy the music.

I went down there a few months ago for the night to see NDT speak. I had a great time.

Offline bluehaze

Re: New DT Tour dates
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
I know it's just the initial dates with more to come, but they certainly are making the South wait and wait and wait. They should have started in the South.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »
I know it's just the initial dates with more to come, but they certainly are making the South wait and wait and wait. They should have started in the South.

Wow, dude! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
Seems like we have 6-7 dates in the NE of America, with a gap between the PA and NY shows, then another between NY and NJ, not leaving much room to travel down south. That's concerning to me. If they skip the southern eastern section of the country AGAIN while playing 4 more shows in a state they already visited this year, I'm not going to be too happy.
I agree 100%

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »

Wow, dude! :lol

What's so funny? They've already played the Northeast. We've been waiting five years for them to come back to our region. DT fans from the Northeast are spoiled. Fortunately, for us prog. fans in Miami we had an awesome 2 1/2 hour 2 set performance at the Olympia Theater (Gusman) by Carl Palmer and his ELP Experience... best show I've seen in a decade...and it was a sell out. It was Bittersweet because Keith Emerson was supposed to be at that show according to Mr. Palmer. Prog rock DOES sell down here. Nobody can tell me otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:13:47 PM by bluehaze »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 06:40:11 PM »
It sucks for a lot of the country where DT never goes anymore, but you have to go where the business and ticket sales are. 

I am not sure I'd go see them again anyway after the last show I saw of theirs, which was easily the loudest show I've ever been to.  It wasn't even enjoyable because of the volume.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2016, 06:52:06 PM »
Ever try sitting in the back? I always sit closer to the back and never had a problem with volume.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2016, 06:53:37 PM »
Yes.  Four of us were at the show, and two of us moved from our seats down close up to the balcony, yet it barely made a difference.  My ears took a beating from the concert and is a large reason why I mostly avoid concerts now (don't want to be deaf before I hit 50).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »
Yes.  Four of us were at the show, and two of us moved from our seats down close up to the balcony, yet it barely made a difference.  My ears took a beating from the concert and is a large reason why I mostly avoid concerts now (don't want to be deaf before I hit 50).
Did you not go to concerts back when you were younger? Back when they were really loud? DT is certainly louder than many bands nowadays, but nothing compared to what we were seeing back in the 80's. I'm not trying to rag on you, definitely look after yourself, but I am curious.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »

Yeah, Newark isn't the kind of place you go walking around at night looking for a hot spot.   :lol   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »
Did you not go to concerts back when you were younger? Back when they were really loud? DT is certainly louder than many bands nowadays, but nothing compared to what we were seeing back in the 80's. I'm not trying to rag on you, definitely look after yourself, but I am curious.

What?

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2016, 07:09:21 PM »

My first concert was in 1990 (at the age of 17).

Definitely have had some fair share of loud concerts, but that last DT one was the worst.  It was probably not helped by my ears already not quite what they used to be (although I have been much kinder to them lately, so they are mostly fine).  The other loudest ones would be Metallica in the later 90s (so loud, I had no idea what the first song was, and it was OUTSIDE :eek :eek :eek) and Judas Priest like 6-7 years ago.  Yeah, I had plenty of loud concerts way back when, but my ears were younger and fresher then, if that makes sense.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2016, 07:11:29 PM »
I wonder if it's a venue thing. I don't think my ears are bad but I've never had a problem with volume at DT shows. In fact they were both among the quieter concerts I've been to.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2016, 07:13:41 PM »
I thought the show at the Boston Opera House was ridiculously loud.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
I thought the show at the Boston Opera House was ridiculously loud.

It was inconveniently loud.  Might have been the acoustics of that space.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
It sucks for a lot of the country where DT never goes anymore, but you have to go where the business and ticket sales are. 

I am not sure I'd go see them again anyway after the last show I saw of theirs, which was easily the loudest show I've ever been to.  It wasn't even enjoyable because of the volume.
Guns and Roses specifically chose where to play. For them, it wasn't about generating the most money. It was about playing for their fans wherever they may be. Sell out concerts are a rare thing these day and they shouldn't expect it. If it is all about the money for them then they are touring for all of the wrong reasons. Florida CAN support them and has ALWAYS provided great crowds.  About time they showed us the love they show the Northeast and Europe...oh, and I want It LOUD!!! I went them to go to eleven.

Offline badger

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »

KC correct?

Kinda ruined it for me also.

4 hour drive for me...............we will see.
When did we all let you down?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »
KC, yes.

Still bizarre cause I saw them four days earlier in Chicago, and the volume there was perfect.  It really does come to the venue sometimes...and that venue in KC sucked ass.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2016, 09:23:56 PM »
Ummmm....there's this thing called ear plugs. I've used them for almost every single concert I've been to (beginning with my 5th concert - seeing Metallica early on the black album tour, and I've been to well over 100 since then) and my hearing is great and I don't walk out of the venue in pain or worrying about my hearing. They may take away a little something - especially the crisp highs if you get the cheap types like I do - but they're a much better choice than the alternative, IMO. Oh, and I'm a year older than you.   :P

Guns and Roses specifically chose where to play. For them, it wasn't about generating the most money. It was about playing for their fans wherever they may be. Sell out concerts are a rare thing these day and they shouldn't expect it. If it is all about the money for them then they are touring for all of the wrong reasons. Florida CAN support them and has ALWAYS provided great crowds.  About time they showed us the love they show the Northeast and Europe...oh, and I want It LOUD!!! I went them to go to eleven.
bluehaze, I will defend your right to be upset with the band, but your post above ain't working. To begin with, you're talking not just about GnR, but GnR reunited with Slash and Duff. They command so much freakin' money, they could play all their shows in Timbuktu and still walk away with millions upon millions in their pockets.

Second, it is about the money - like it or not, the band is in the business to make money. They are not a charity, so don't expect them to "take one for the team" just to make sure audiences in some cities or parts of the world get to see their favorite band like everyone else. That said, my gut feeling is that you'll get your shows this time around - if Indianapolis and Louisville are getting shows (the former's last show was in 1993, the latter never having gotten *any* shows), I'd expect there will be some shows in the SE this time around.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »
Ummmm....there's this thing called ear plugs. I've used them for almost every single concert I've been to (beginning with my 5th concert - seeing Metallica early on the black album tour, and I've been to well over 100 since then) and my hearing is great and I don't walk out of the venue in pain or worrying about my hearing. They may take away a little something - especially the crisp highs if you get the cheap types like I do - but they're a much better choice than the alternative, IMO. Oh, and I'm a year older than you.   :P

bluehaze, I will defend your right to be upset with the band, but your post above ain't working. To begin with, you're talking not just about GnR, but GnR reunited with Slash and Duff. They command so much freakin' money, they could play all their shows in Timbuktu and still walk away with millions upon millions in their pockets.

Second, it is about the money - like it or not, the band is in the business to make money. They are not a charity, so don't expect them to "take one for the team" just to make sure audiences in some cities or parts of the world get to see their favorite band like everyone else. That said, my gut feeling is that you'll get your shows this time around - if Indianapolis and Louisville are getting shows (the former's last show was in 1993, the latter never having gotten *any* shows), I'd expect there will be some shows in the SE this time around.
Well, I hope you are right. I believe so as well, but why the Northeast again so early? They've had their tour. Florida has ALWAYS been good to Dream Theater and so has Atlanta. That's four shows right there. I am not asking them to play friggin Alaska or Idaho. I am expecting them to play international cities in the South as most bands do. Miami and Orlando and Tampa and even Jacksonville are International cities. Hell, if Opeth can come down here just about every year, Dream Theater can do it on their tours that they play every two to three years. With regards to Guns and Roses, it was reported that most of their shows were not sellouts specifically because THEY chose to play cities THEY wanted to play and NOT cities their label wanted them to play. I don't think they are crying in their beer over it. I keep hearing about they have to play only where they can sell out  to make money. Did they sell out Portland Oregon? How about Seattle? How about some of the cities in the Northeast on the last leg? No they didn't. While they might not sell out Pompano Beach, they still get at least 3/4 full and that is more than enough reason to play. Stop trying to make the South some back water BS location that they make some great sacrifice to play. This is their JOB. Mike Portnoy brought his Winery Dogs to The Culture Room (a 500 person club for $30 per ticket) on both of their tours. Is he starving? He made it happen.  If Carl Palmer can play to a packed house at the Olympia Theater in Miami and then play two nights later in Boca Raton and meet people after the show for FREE, certainly Roadrunner and their tour promoter can make it happen. As I said earlier, I expect them to play the South on this leg, but they should have started here given how long it's been since they've been here. I'm beginning to think Roadrunner records is the worst thing to happen to Dream Theater. They used to have free meet and greets and now they charge god awful prices for the privilege of saying hi, and oh, by the way, here's your stupid laminate. They have gotten out of hand with all of the paraphernalia like coolie cups. What's next JP condoms? How about the Dream Theater casket a la KISS. Pure bloat. I miss their club days.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:50:19 PM by bluehaze »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:25 AM »
bluehaze it sounds like you have a lot of issues with, basically, DT's success. Also - you should contact the promoters of some of the venues you are taking about in FL and inquire about them bringing in DT, that would be a much better place to start since venues and promoters are essential to a band like DT (read-not the biggest rock tour in the world right now like GnR) playing certain cities or areas.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
Well, if I has a fucking venue owner or promoter and fucking GnR reunion came and asked me to let them play at my venue I'd be all like "OF COURSE".

I don't see how the hell is that even a valid comparison.

I know it sucks guys, but blame the people at your cities. One of my favorite bands hasn't come to play anwhere near in the last 6 years too, and I haven't been able to see them.
Many people from Monterrey here in Mexico were horribly pissed off at them not making booking a date there, but that's not their fault, the people there just didn't see it profitable.

I did a 10-hour drive to see them because of that, so I was kind of upset too, but oh well.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:17 AM »
Soooo presale begins in 9 minutes and anyone know if there is a code?  There is no information I can find on what kind of presale it even is.