Author Topic: Austin show  (Read 2344 times)

Offline aglenn01

Austin show
« on: December 02, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
Saw the band last night in Austin. 2nd row in front of John P. This was my 4th time seeing the band live, and they were on fire. John P. was John P. Simply the best live guitarist I've ever personally seen, by a mile. James sounded great from my perspective. I did not hear him miss a note; hit the high notes in LTL, and the encore was ACOS, and he nailed the whole thing. John M. was a little muddy and lost in the mix unless it was a spot where he was playing kind of on his own without the other players (As I Am, solo in Metropolis, etc.). Jordan is ridiculous, I think he can maybe play the entire catalog with one hand if he had to.  And Mike Mangini is a monster. I won't get into the years long debates about Mike P. vs Mike M., except to say that I was a big fan of Mike P., esp his playing on the first few albums. Mike M. is an incredible player, makes it look easy. I think that may be why some people may not realize how special of a player he is, because he makes it seem kind of effortless. But man does he hit the drums hard!! Harder than even Neil Peart in the many many RUSH shows I've seen. And I feel like he is extremely personable behind the kit, interacting with the others in the band, smiling and laughing with the audience, makes silly faces sometimes during difficult passages, etc...I just don't get the negative response he has gotten over the years from some. In summary, a great great rock show from a band who seems at the top of their game, and  at their ages is extremely impressive. James said they will be going into the studio in 2018 after they take a decent break, and that they will be on the road again in 2019, and I cannot wait!

Offline Vegvisir

Re: Austin show
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
Yeah I was there also- probably one of the best performances of theirs I’ve seen, and this was #8 for me. I didn’t really know anything about the set list going in to it other than I&W of course and I was aware the ACOS finale which I was stoked about. Overall I thought it was excellent and loved the set list and everyone was on point. Also did I catch some Xanadu in there??!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
I was there too and it was one of the best. James was on fire (probably after two days of rest). I did catch the Xanadu snippet. Diid anybody notice psycho Petrucci when he talked about the New Orleans show?

Offline aglenn01

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Definitely some Xanadu, and a little Cygnus X-1 at the end of a song as well, can't remember if it was LTL or ACOS. And yeah Petrucci was funny in his funny deep voice with his little bit about that old show in New Orleans.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:55:08 AM »
Was there on the second balcony, and just gotta reiterate how killer everyone was-- even my wife had a good time.  I was prepared to be a little let down by James' performance a little after reading some comments from other shows, but he really was on fire. Loved him especially during Surrounded, WFS, and ACOS.  And the instrumental bit after TTT was awesome.

Offline aglenn01

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
Yup!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:02:45 PM by aglenn01 »