Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 91176 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #875 on: May 04, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
In most cases I'd agree with you, but because of the way the NHL does the playoff format, the defending champs have actually had the hardest road thus far, playing 2 teams that finished in the top 4 in the league during the regular season with the Pens being one of the other top four teams.

The Preds have played the #1 then #3 team.

You have a good point about the retarded playoff format the NHL is using...but, all things being equal Rinne has lost 1 game....with a 1.33 GA and .953 save percentage. Fleury GA is 2.40 and a .935 save percentage. Statistically it's not even close on the GA and the level of competition they've faced is for all intents and purposes 'even'.

I just think if there's a clear cut favorite to be touting right now Rinne would be it for me.

Well if you look at most points in the league during the regular season. The Caps were first overall and the Jackets were fourth overall, so I'm not even talking about Eastern Conference seeding, I'm talking about most points league wide in the regular season. Basically, the Metro had three teams in the top four.

All that being said, Rinne has been awesome, so I'd buy what you are selling.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #876 on: May 04, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
I'm still blown away by how Rinne allowed just 3 goals in 4 games against the Blackhawks. I'm totally with Gmiller on Rinne being the clear favorite right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #877 on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:59 PM »
I agree that Rinne is the clear cut Conn Smythe winner thus far. 

Also, the Pens winning last night just shows what a team sport hockey is, especially compared to other team sports.  Take away the best player from a football or basketball team in the playoffs and it would be a disaster. 

Speaking of which, I forgot to reply to this:

I agreed with the 5-minute major and game misconduct. It was, after all, a cross check to the head.  However, I do not think it was premeditated or anything like that.  Like has been said, it was a bang-bang play, and it was just bad timing for Crosby that he fell right at that exact moment.

Also, if the league started protecting players more by giving stiffer penalties, Crosby would pay as well. Remember that he jacked an opponent between his legs with his stick near the end of the season.  And no, this is not a "he deserved it" post, but I am not going to feel too terribly sorry for Crosby for suffering a bad hit when he does stuff like that.

Man, I was with you till the last part.  :lol

It was bad timing. The league should protect the players more. That includes when Sid commits a penalty, totally agree. But let's not pretend like Sid is some dirty player. If you truly believe that, you haven't actually watched him play much at all. He's one of the classiest players out there, on and off the ice, he's just held under a bigger microscope than any other player. So when he does commit and penalty or get away with committing a penalty you just hear about it more, that's all.

Man, I'm really starting to sound like a Pen's fanboy here, sorry that's not my intention.

I never said Crosby was a dirty player; I correctly pointed out that he was the perpetrator of a very dirty hit at the end of the season.

One of the classiest players out there?  Uh, sure.  :lol :lol  First off, there is no way to quantify that, but has Crosby ever won the Lady Byng? 

Lastly, Crosby is a fantastic player, one who is awesome to watch.  No need to get silly by acting like he's the epitome of class and grace.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #878 on: May 04, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »

I literally cannot believe I'm typing this, but Eric Karlsson has to be in the conversation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »

I literally cannot believe I'm typing this, but Eric Karlsson has to be in the conversation.

Certainly in the conversation. I just think Rinne is the front runner at the moment.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
No issue there. Rinne's had a great bounce back year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #881 on: May 05, 2017, 01:19:46 AM »
And just like that the Rangers are back in it. Towards the end of the game the Ottawa players were getting chippy, almost as if they knew the series momentum was shifting away from them. The series still is far from over, but this Rangers team feels different than they did in the first two games against the Senators.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: May 05, 2017, 07:33:22 AM »
Yea the end of that Rangers game you could tell that there was a lot of frustration on Ottawa's bench.  I love it.  Rangers dominated the last two games and have a lot of momentum.  They need to escape Ottawa with a win Saturday to keep that flowing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #883 on: May 05, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
Rangers are in control, and they were the favored team to begin with. It's only tied, but it's their series to lose.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #884 on: May 05, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
The Blues PP sucks.

The end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
The Blues PP sucks.

The end.

Yeah. That was pathetic. Why in the  :censored isnt Paryako ou there on that 5-3? He's about the only Blues player this series that actually looks like he's trying and wants to win, slick hands and great shot but they have Petrangelo out there who may hit the net 2-10 times he shoots.

They still have a chance to take advantage of the PP to start the period but I'm not holding my breath. I was hoping to see them come out with some fire but all it'll take is the Preds to score first and they'll crumble.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: May 05, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »
That moment you realize your team just....well....sucks.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #887 on: May 05, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
Don't worry. You could be a Senators fan
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #888 on: May 05, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »
Eh, I do not agree that the team has no fire.  Then have had the better of the play, special teams notwithstanding.  It's just hard for either team to get good scoring chances right now, given how well both teams are playing defensively.

I do agree about Parayko.  Petrangelo CANNOT QB a PP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: May 05, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
Don't worry. You could be a Senators fan

There's no way it's worse than being a Blues fan. They're an alcoholic abuse boyfriend that repeatedly beats us....then apologizes with some flowers and a few weeks of great sex to win us back then rinse and repeat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: May 05, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
Eh, I do not agree that the team has no fire.  Then have had the better of the play, special teams notwithstanding.  It's just hard for either team to get good scoring chances right now, given how well both teams are playing defensively.

I do agree about Parayko.  Petrangelo CANNOT QB a PP.

Well thus far in the series Nashville has wanted it more plain and simple. Good to get the first goal here tonight though....we'll see how it goes.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #891 on: May 05, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »

Also, the Pens winning last night just shows what a team sport hockey is, especially compared to other team sports.  Take away the best player from a football or basketball team in the playoffs and it would be a disaster. 

Speaking of which, I forgot to reply to this:

I agreed with the 5-minute major and game misconduct. It was, after all, a cross check to the head.  However, I do not think it was premeditated or anything like that.  Like has been said, it was a bang-bang play, and it was just bad timing for Crosby that he fell right at that exact moment.

Also, if the league started protecting players more by giving stiffer penalties, Crosby would pay as well. Remember that he jacked an opponent between his legs with his stick near the end of the season.  And no, this is not a "he deserved it" post, but I am not going to feel too terribly sorry for Crosby for suffering a bad hit when he does stuff like that.

Man, I was with you till the last part.  :lol

It was bad timing. The league should protect the players more. That includes when Sid commits a penalty, totally agree. But let's not pretend like Sid is some dirty player. If you truly believe that, you haven't actually watched him play much at all. He's one of the classiest players out there, on and off the ice, he's just held under a bigger microscope than any other player. So when he does commit and penalty or get away with committing a penalty you just hear about it more, that's all.

Man, I'm really starting to sound like a Pen's fanboy here, sorry that's not my intention.

I never said Crosby was a dirty player; I correctly pointed out that he was the perpetrator of a very dirty hit at the end of the season.

One of the classiest players out there?  Uh, sure.  :lol :lol  First off, there is no way to quantify that, but has Crosby ever won the Lady Byng? 

Lastly, Crosby is a fantastic player, one who is awesome to watch.  No need to get silly by acting like he's the epitome of class and grace.

:lol Okay Kev

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #892 on: May 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »
You have no retort; I get it.  :tup :tup

As for the Blues, never in doubt tonight. :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: May 05, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »

Gutsy win. More than capable of taking The road game Sunday. If we keep it 5 on 5 Nashville can't beat us. Their hot PP is what has them the series lead.

One game at a time though.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #894 on: May 06, 2017, 02:17:30 AM »
Wow. No two ways about it. Edmonton choked that game away. Being up 3-0 with three minutes left in the game and a chance to take a 3-2 series lead into your home stadium and then losing the game 4-3 in overtime is the very definition of heartbreaking. Anaheim is a great team but come on. Championship caliber teams close out these type of games (and I am saying that as a fan of a Rangers team that blew a two goal lead against the Senators with two minutes left two play in Game 2 of this round).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 02:26:39 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #895 on: May 06, 2017, 04:46:29 AM »
I think that was more of a great comeback than a choke, but there is always an element of both when these things happen, I suppose. I dozed off early last night, so I didn't see the end until this morning. Still kind of in shock over seeing that.  What a comeback!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #896 on: May 06, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »
After Edmonton's win in game 2, a game in which Talbot stole the win, i told some friends that we'll lose the next 4 straight of we keep playing like that night. That's exactly what's happening. The Ducks are good, but that 3rd period last night was pathetic from the Oil. I don't expect a game 7.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #897 on: May 06, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
Agreed about the Oilers. Caught the last half of the third period and saw they were up 3-0 late in the game. Thought they pretty much had it in the bag.  But when the Ducks scored that first goal, and especially the second very soon after, you just got a feeling that Edmonton was going to let it slip away. And sure enough... I'm not expecting a game seven either in this series. The Ducks have all the momentum right now. It's too bad since I've been cheering for any Canadian team in the playoffs now to take the Cup. Hard to believe it's been nearly a quarter century since it's been won by a Canadian club.

And on another note for the Oilers, is it just me, or does it seem Darnell Nurse been on the ice every time Edmonton gives up a big goal? I've watched that guy give up more pucks, lose his man, and allow more goals this series than nearly anybody else I've seen. He looks very uncomfortable handling the puck in his own end.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:05:11 AM by Snow Dog »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #898 on: May 06, 2017, 07:35:17 AM »
I wouldn't worry about momentum too much; that can change in an instance in hockey.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #899 on: May 06, 2017, 07:46:08 AM »
Oilers why... :(

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #900 on: May 06, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »

Ah, I do but I'm not sure it's worth the time. All was trying to say was that Sid was a classy player, but if you don't think we can make statements about players that aren't quantifiable I guess there's a lot taken off the discussion table, such as two things you just mentioned in the thread - momentum and guts. .   :lol

Anywho, what about them Ducks, that was crazy fun playoff hockey!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #901 on: May 06, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »

And on another note for the Oilers, is it just me, or does it seem Darnell Nurse been on the ice every time Edmonton gives up a big goal? I've watched that guy give up more pucks, lose his man, and allow more goals this series than nearly anybody else I've seen. He looks very uncomfortable handling the puck in his own end.

Yeah, i wanted Darnell to spend this season in the AHL. One more year to get used to the pro game would have done him wonders. They over achieved this year anyway, so there was no need to rush him along.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #902 on: May 06, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
That Ottawa goal shouldn't have counted due to being offsides. Oh well. The Rangers will just have to respond in game 6.

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: May 06, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »
That Ottawa goal shouldn't have counted due to being offsides. Oh well. The Rangers will just have to respond in game 6.

I admire how calmly you handled that. I can safely say i would have had a more creative and hostile post had my team been shafted like that.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #904 on: May 06, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »

I admire how calmly you handled that. I can safely say i would have had a more creative and hostile post had my team been shafted like that.

I had already gotten it out of my system before I posted here. I was in no mood to get banned lol.

-MirrorMask

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #905 on: May 06, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »
If you have full control of the puck it doesn't matter. You can skate in backwards and it's still considered onside.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #906 on: May 07, 2017, 03:36:47 AM »
If you have full control of the puck it doesn't matter. You can skate in backwards and it's still considered onside.

Yup. Sure looks like full control of the puck to me.  :\

-MirrorMask

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #907 on: May 07, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
 ??? He's stick handling. That's having full control of the puck. That will be correctly called onside 100% of the time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #908 on: May 07, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Yeah Count, you just made the case against yourself - that 1st screen shot is misleading ... Turris already had touched the puck and was stickhandling at this point - HE brought the puck over the line, which is legal. If it was the pass that crossed the blue line like that, THEN it would've been offsides.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #909 on: May 07, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
Just can't kill those Senators!