Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 91048 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #840 on: May 02, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
I agreed with the 5-minute major and game misconduct. It was, after all, a cross check to the head.  However, I do not think it was premeditated or anything like that.  Like has been said, it was a bang-bang play, and it was just bad timing for Crosby that he fell right at that exact moment.

Also, if the league started protecting players more by giving stiffer penalties, Crosby would pay as well. Remember that he jacked an opponent between his legs with his stick near the end of the season.  And no, this is not a "he deserved it" post, but I am not going to feel too terribly sorry for Crosby for suffering a bad hit when he does stuff like that.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #841 on: May 02, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
I hope he's okay though. He's gonna have to start considering his life after hockey soon. Concussions ruin lives. Not saying he should retire but he'll have to start weighing that.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #842 on: May 02, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
I agreed with the 5-minute major and game misconduct. It was, after all, a cross check to the head.  However, I do not think it was premeditated or anything like that.  Like has been said, it was a bang-bang play, and it was just bad timing for Crosby that he fell right at that exact moment.

Also, if the league started protecting players more by giving stiffer penalties, Crosby would pay as well. Remember that he jacked an opponent between his legs with his stick near the end of the season.  And no, this is not a "he deserved it" post, but I am not going to feel too terribly sorry for Crosby for suffering a bad hit when he does stuff like that.

Man, I was with you till the last part.  :lol

It was bad timing. The league should protect the players more. That includes when Sid commits a penalty, totally agree. But let's not pretend like Sid is some dirty player. If you truly believe that, you haven't actually watched him play much at all. He's one of the classiest players out there, on and off the ice, he's just held under a bigger microscope than any other player. So when he does commit and penalty or get away with committing a penalty you just hear about it more, that's all.

Man, I'm really starting to sound like a Pen's fanboy here, sorry that's not my intention.

I hope he's okay though. He's gonna have to start considering his life after hockey soon. Concussions ruin lives. Not saying he should retire but he'll have to start weighing that.

Well he's had what, four or five recorded ones in the NHL? Not a terrible amount, but definitely should be a cause for pause.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #843 on: May 02, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
I'm starting to feel he's gonna end up with a shortened career - like he's this generation's version of Lindros.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #844 on: May 02, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm starting to feel he's gonna end up with a shortened career - like he's this generation's version of Lindros.

Same with Mario. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #845 on: May 02, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »

Same with Mario. 

This is not a "he deserved it" post, but I am not going to feel too terribly sorry for Mario for suffering a bad hit when he jumped on so many heads himself.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: May 02, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »

Same with Mario.

Yeah, but Mario wasn't concussion related.

Geez Nick... who pissed in your corn flakes this morning??  You probably thought Pelle Lindbergh had it coming too! 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #847 on: May 02, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »

Same with Mario.

Yeah, but Mario wasn't concussion related.

Geez Nick... who pissed in your corn flakes this morning??  You probably thought Pelle Lindbergh had it coming too! 

For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: May 02, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
@ me...

I was never a big NES player.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #849 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
It's very unfortunate for the Pens.  There should have been a penalty to Oveshkin with that stick on the back of Crosby.  It is not accidental and is quite a big shot.  Then he falls and got the cross check to his head.  Not intentional though you are always responsible of your hockey stick.  I hate to see talented players getting taken out like that.  Crosby is an amazing player and still the best of the league.  He is always there at soon 30 years old.  He plays hard and gets a lot of bad treatment but he is strong.  Obviously, when you go without no limit on a star player or a great goalie, you eventually get a good chance of taking the key player out.  It happens to Montreal's Carey Price a few years ago when New-York's Kreider went flying on him.  If it is what it takes to win, the NHL are doing ok with it.  The big picture of that is that suspensions are ridiculous in that league.  It is a joke through the season and we all know that referees are blind during the playoffs.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: May 02, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
It's very unfortunate for the Pens.  There should have been a penalty to Oveshkin with that stick on the back of Crosby.  It is not accidental and is quite a big shot.  Then he falls and got the cross check to his head.  Not intentional though you are always responsible of your hockey stick.  I hate to see talented players getting taken out like that.  Crosby is an amazing player and still the best of the league.  He is always there at soon 30 years old.  He plays hard and gets a lot of bad treatment but he is strong.  Obviously, when you go without no limit on a star player or a great goalie, you eventually get a good chance of taking the key player out.  It happens to Montreal's Carey Price a few years ago when New-York's Kreider went flying on him.  If it is what it takes to win, the NHL are doing ok with it.  The big picture of that is that suspensions are ridiculous in that league.  It is a joke through the season and we all know that referees are blind during the playoffs.
The NHL is the worst league at protecting its star players. I'm not really sure what goes through their heads.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #851 on: May 02, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
 :lol   Just gonna start laughing at these friggin calls.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #852 on: May 02, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »

What do you mean? Looked like Subban had an oweee! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: May 02, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »

What do you mean? Looked like Subban had an oweee! ;D

Exactly. That 'slash' is done by every player every shift. It was on Subban so they called it because he held his hand.

The Preds are the new Hawks when it comes to getting touched and whining about it....AND getting the calls.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: May 02, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
This is fucking reached bullshit levels as far as officiating.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #855 on: May 02, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »

Yeah, I just watched them push Allen out of the way as Neal shot a no look spinning shot from the blue line. :p

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: May 02, 2017, 10:25:43 PM »

Yeah, I just watched them push Allen out of the way as Neal shot a no look spinning shot from the blue line. :p

I get your teasing but they fucked the Blues with the Power Play call when everyone was scrumming but somehow the Blues get the extra penalty.

Or not calling the hit on Boumeister when the guy left his skates

Or not calling the high stick to Petrangelos face

But calling a baby tap to Subban

Sure officiating doesn't win or lose the game but they can dictate momentum. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #857 on: May 02, 2017, 11:05:39 PM »
I didn't see the game tonight (was at a concert), and from the sound of things, I'm glad I didn't. :lol :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #858 on: May 03, 2017, 12:07:49 AM »
The Rangers looked much better tonight than they did in the first two games. They made some adjustments and AV switched up the lines a little bit and the difference was night and day. I still have my doubts about them making it out of this series as I believe that the Senators are legit, but I feel like if they keep playing like this, they have a chance.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #859 on: May 03, 2017, 08:47:43 AM »

Same with Mario. 

This is not a "he deserved it" post, but I am not going to feel too terribly sorry for Mario for suffering a bad hit when he jumped on so many heads himself.

Bro, Mario got cancer.... What the heck?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #860 on: May 03, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »

Same with Mario. 

Bro, Mario got cancer.... What the heck?

Um... again... :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #861 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
 :lol

Sorry completely missed that post!

Carry on...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: May 03, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Looks like the Oscar is going to Bonino this year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #863 on: May 03, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
Wow. Bonino had the series ending goal last year and the acting job to put the finish on the game this year.

Caps played the better game, but came up short. And as I said earlier, they can continue to play the better game, but chances are the Pens will get another win through the next four and be advancing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: May 03, 2017, 09:23:45 PM »
Yeah, the refs aren't going to be too impressed being punk'd like that. Wouldn't be surprised if Bonnino doesn't get any leeway next game - either a cheap penalty called against him, or the Caps could hack the shit out of him for free.

Terrible review in Edm - that 1st Ducks goal looked pretty clear to me that Perry bumped Talbot's blocker, preventing him from attempting the save.

Edit - and now the 2nd goal cannot be offside-challenged because they lost their timeout. :zeltar:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #865 on: May 03, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
Yeah, the refs aren't going to be too impressed being punk'd like that. Wouldn't be surprised if Bonnino doesn't get any leeway next game - either a cheap penalty called against him, or the Caps could hack the shit out of him for free.

Terrible review in Edm - that 1st Ducks goal looked pretty clear to me that Perry bumped Talbot's blocker, preventing him from attempting the save.

Edit - and now the 2nd goal cannot be offside-challenged because they lost their timeout. :zeltar:
Yeah, I'd be pretty angry if I were an Oilers fan right now.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #866 on: May 04, 2017, 07:06:41 AM »
Wow, this Pens team. Crosby out. Sheary out. Letang out. Murray out.

Up 3-1 on the President's Trophy winners. Unreal.

Also - hearing some rumors around Pittsburgh that initial signs are looking good for Sid, it'll be up in the air still cause it is a concussion, and historically he has had set backs but the thinking seems to be this might be a short one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #867 on: May 04, 2017, 07:16:22 AM »
Marc Andre Fluery is playing out of his mind. Good for him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: May 04, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »

Just as Murray "stole" the starting job from him last year, it's Fleury's turn.  At this pace, he's the Conn Smythe winner.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #869 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »

Just as Murray "stole" the starting job from him last year, it's Fleury's turn.  At this pace, he's the Conn Smythe winner.

Agreed, and unless Flower falls apart in these playoffs, it'll be interesting to see what the Pens do with the goalie situation moving forward. Any other off season, they would just keep both guys and let it figure itself out, but with the expansion draft, it would be challenging to keep both. Frankly, I'm not completely sold on Murry yet. I know he's younger, cheaper and potentially has more upside, I'm just not sold on his durability and consistency over a 82 game season and playoffs. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: May 04, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »

Ehh....I'd say Pecca Rinne has a pretty good claim as well

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: May 04, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »

True - but the Preds didn't lose their #1 D-man before the playoffs, or have the other injuries (as already mentioned) that the Pens have.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: May 04, 2017, 08:45:44 AM »

True - but the Preds didn't lose their #1 D-man before the playoffs, or have the other injuries (as already mentioned) that the Pens have.

...but....the Preds aren't the defending Cup Champs. They are a Wild Card team. I think being the goalie for a Wild Card team that is playing lights out is a bit tougher than being the Goalie for a Cup Championship team, no matter the injury report.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #873 on: May 04, 2017, 09:32:57 AM »
In most cases I'd agree with you, but because of the way the NHL does the playoff format, the defending champs have actually had the hardest road thus far, playing 2 teams that finished in the top 4 in the league during the regular season with the Pens being one of the other top four teams.

If the Pens got into the playoffs as a wildcard team the level of competition would have actually been easier for them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: May 04, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
In most cases I'd agree with you, but because of the way the NHL does the playoff format, the defending champs have actually had the hardest road thus far, playing 2 teams that finished in the top 4 in the league during the regular season with the Pens being one of the other top four teams.

The Preds have played the #1 then #3 team.

You have a good point about the retarded playoff format the NHL is using...but, all things being equal Rinne has lost 1 game....with a 1.33 GA and .953 save percentage. Fleury GA is 2.40 and a .935 save percentage. Statistically it's not even close on the GA and the level of competition they've faced is for all intents and purposes 'even'.

I just think if there's a clear cut favorite to be touting right now Rinne would be it for me.