Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90858 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2016, 12:22:01 AM »
I am now 0-5 when going to see the Rangers play live.  >:(
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2016, 07:45:51 AM »

This season, or overall? Because if that's this season then that's frankly quite impressively horrendous. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2016, 03:46:06 PM »

This season, or overall? Because if that's this season then that's frankly quite impressively horrendous. :lol

Overall. But still, I have a better track record seeing the Jets and Mets than I do the Yankees and Rangers.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #213 on: December 25, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »

:biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Watching the replay of the Blues/Haks alumni game.
The Blues alumni team is  :metal

Classy move by Tkachuk wearing Demitra's jersey. But holy hell Keith! Did he eat him?
Bernie Federko looks awesome and Pierre Turgeon hasn't aged at all.

Gary Unger :metal Larry Patey :metal and Brian Sutter :hefdaddy

But who are the flotsam & jetsam playing for the Hawks? No Chelios? Amonte? Roenick? Doug Wilson? Savard? Is Larmer playing? WTF?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:17:25 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #216 on: January 01, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Watching the replay of the Blues/Haks alumni game.
The Blues alumni team is  :metal

Classy move by Tkachuk wearing Demitra's jersey. But holy hell Keith! Did he eat him?
Bernie Federko looks awesome and Pierre Turgeon hasn't aged at all.

Gary Unger :metal Larry Patey :metal and Brian Sutter :hefdaddy

But who are the flotsam & jetsam playing for the Hawks? No Chelios? Amonte? Roenick? Doug Wilson? Davard? Is Larmer playing? WTF?

yeah...that was neat to watch. And you're right about Tkachuk in both respects. Very cool to honor Demitra (I read they were very close friends) and he has easily put on 100 lbs.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »
Radulov and Weber both play one of their best games of the season against their former team. God damn right. :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
Thanks Santa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2017, 03:21:29 PM »
RIP Milt Schmidt... :(

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »
Not NHL related but it is hockey related: What a game between USA and Canada for the World Juniors Championship. This was two evenly matched teams playing at their very best, and it had to be decided in a shootout. Congratulations to the USA who FINALLY beat Canada for a hockey championship. One of the best hockey games I have ever seen, up there with Blues-Blackhawks Game 7 last year, Rangers-Capitals Game 7 two years ago, Bruins-Canucks Game 7 in the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, and USA-Canada for the gold medal in the 2010 Olympics.

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2017, 07:24:45 AM »
Not NHL related but it is hockey related: What a game between USA and Canada for the World Juniors Championship. This was two evenly matched teams playing at their very best, and it had to be decided in a shootout. Congratulations to the USA who FINALLY beat Canada for a hockey championship. One of the best hockey games I have ever seen, up there with Blues-Blackhawks Game 7 last year, Rangers-Capitals Game 7 two years ago, Bruins-Canucks Game 7 in the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, and USA-Canada for the gold medal in the 2010 Olympics.

Missed the game last night, good to hear the US won. Did the NHL network really air that game last night instead of the Jackets game though?

I mean I get the WJC game was huge, but it wasn't a NHL game and meanwhile they had the Jackets going for a tie of the longest winning streak in league history (an opportunity to promote their actual product) and it wasn't nationally aired? Come on NHL....

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »

Agreed, it was a fantastic game. As a Canadian I would have preferred a different result, but I honestly didn't have them in the gold medal game at the start of the tournament anyway. And once it went to a shootout I knew Canada was truly pooched with how well that Terry kid was in the shootout against Russia.

Between that game and the Oil v Bruins game I had a good fill of hockey last night  ;D

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2017, 08:21:46 AM »
I have zero expectations/hopes for the Blues making a legit run at the cup this season. One game they're outplaying and handily defeating the top teams of the league and the next game they're losing to teams with losing records and looking horrid doing it. No consistency at all.

It was a massive mistake not to let Hitchcock go and just hand the team over to Yeo right off the bat.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »

Agreed, it was a great game.  Big fan of these World Junior tournaments, and I really enjoyed the previous games by the other teams too, Russia, Sweden, Swiss (who are surprisingly good).  The only downside to me is having this game be decided by a shootout.  I think they should go all the way with the sudden-death OT, NHL style.  Canada had to know they were in trouble once it boiled down to the shootout.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
I have zero expectations/hopes for the Blues making a legit run at the cup this season. One game they're outplaying and handily defeating the top teams of the league and the next game they're losing to teams with losing records and looking horrid doing it. No consistency at all.

It was a massive mistake not to let Hitchcock go and just hand the team over to Yeo right off the bat.

Gotta have the faith, my friend.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »

this is the least inspiring team I've seen in some time. There are certainly bright spots....Tarasenko, Paryako, Schwartz....very good and fun players to watch but man it just seems like they are 'missing' something.

Being that they allowed Brauer to sign with Calgary when they knew they weren't re-signing Backes....they forfeited the whole 'size' and 'hard' game I've grown accustomed to watching them play for the past few years and started to focus on this fast and quick game. It's not nearly as consistent. Fun to watch when they are all clicking and firing on all cylinders but if you have one or two players not playing it shows and they pay the price.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »

this is the least inspiring team I've seen in some time. There are certainly bright spots....Tarasenko, Paryako, Schwartz....very good and fun players to watch but man it just seems like they are 'missing' something.

Being that they allowed Brauer to sign with Calgary when they knew they weren't re-signing Backes....they forfeited the whole 'size' and 'hard' game I've grown accustomed to watching them play for the past few years and started to focus on this fast and quick game. It's not nearly as consistent. Fun to watch when they are all clicking and firing on all cylinders but if you have one or two players not playing it shows and they pay the price.

Sadly, I agree. Good team this year, but I'd be surprised to see them get out of the first round.  I wonder if they'll do anything at the trade deadline to shake things up a bit.  Trading Shattenkirk keeps sounding like a foregone conclusion.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2017, 07:35:34 AM »
Good first game back from the break last night for the Pens!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »
Nice tribute to David Backes in St. Louis tonight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
Nice tribute to David Backes in St. Louis tonight.

Dang it! Missed it. Was sculpting and cutting two Pine Wood Derby cars with the kiddos for their race next week.

Looks like the Blues are taking the night off anyway.....at least Jake Allen has......again.....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
Oh, by the way, I'm carrying his illegitimate child.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
Just curious, how is Backes viewed among St.Louis fans?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »
Here's how the St. Louis boys responded when he signed with the Bruins:

I never really embraced Backes fully.   

Why not?

Not sure.  He was just never a guy I was wowed or excited by, as a fan.  I guess I just expect more from a captain than he always gave.

I understand Kevs sentiment here. I think Backes was a good captain, but the negatives to his play are infuriating. Particularly some of the bad penalties he'd take. Players take bad penalties.....but he always seems to take them at the worst possible time.

As a Captain he sticks up for his teammates and leads...but to Kevs point, there was always 'something' missing or off?

Nonetheless Boston is getting a good player.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:44 AM »
Just curious, how is Backes viewed among St.Louis fans?

Adored. He was here 10 years, played intense and loved his team mates.....pillar of the community with charities and especially his pet outreach. He's just a real good dude and was/is a good player. I'm glad we got his 'best' years.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »
I tell you what, you don't know what you got til it's gone. St. Louis greatly misses him....or someone like him.....that style of play.

I'll stand by the remarks I made about his untimely penalties and seeming to 'miss' someThing about his game....but this season not having him it's very clear what he brought to the team isn't easily replaced.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »
Okay, just curious because from afar, he seems like a player that I would get frustrated with on ice. He sounds like he was great off the ice, which is cool but on the ice he always struck me as one of those players that had the ability to be truly great but never quite got there.

I mean St. Louis had some really, really good teams with him as the C and they never got there all the way, could never close the deal and win it all. Not knocking on him, just saying.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
He is on pace for 20 goals even though he's missed like 10 games. (Concussion/ Bursar on elbow).
He has been great in front of the net, and has brought some much needed toughness to the team.

He is not fast, nor flashy, and I think people may think he is something that he is not. He was one of my Top 5 Non Bruins in the league, and I've always liked him. I don't blame him as the Captain for the Blues not getting over the hump. It's not easy and the West has been stacked.

BUT, the Bruins still suck at home, don't show up some nights, and are not ready to start some games.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
He is not fast, nor flashy, and I think people may think he is something that he is not. He was one of my Top 5 Non Bruins in the league, and I've always liked him. I don't blame him as the Captain for the Blues not getting over the hump. It's not easy and the West has been stacked.

All of this......

And this....

one of those players that had the ability to be truly great but never quite got there.

He was VERY good....but just was never able to get to that final level of GREAT

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
He was VERY good....but just was never able to get to that final level of GREAT

Exactly, like I said, not trying to knock on the guy, but that's always been my opinion of him from a distant perspective.

He is on pace for 20 goals even though he's missed like 10 games. (Concussion/ Bursar on elbow).
He has been great in front of the net, and has brought some much needed toughness to the team.

Honestly that's all well and good and sounds about right. Good but not great. Also, I'm not saying I blame him for anything during his time as Captain, but there are some players that just never win anything, and Backes is that guy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
I don't think Backes is a great player, and never have. And if he's your best player, you're not going anywhere.

BUT, he can play on my team anyday!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
Well said.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
I don't think Michel Therrien knows how to pull goalies
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
I don't think Michel Therrien knows how to pull goalies

I think he just seems to think that it sends a message to the player when you ruin his confidence and leave them in for, oh let's say, 7 or 10 goals.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
Apparently it was Price's decision to stay in the game when given the option to be pulled. I guess I understand Price's decision, but it seemed like he gave up in the third
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen