Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 91040 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #1260 on: June 06, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »
The Pens dmen may be tired, but they also have concrete hands and haven't made a breakout pass on the tape since November.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1261 on: June 06, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »
CBC showed the stat that the Pens have played 225 games in the last 2 seasons - pre-season + regular + playoffs.  Sid has been in 212 of those; Geno in 170-something.  That doesn't include the World Cup.

Having Bonnino out last night hurt them down the middle.  Cullen logged more ice-time than Geno, while Rowney had 6.5 minutes.

They should be tired as shit.

Agreed on all points. Bones is a big part of this team in the playoffs. Faceoffs, PK, blocking shots, 200 foot play, big goals at opportune times, etc...

The Pens dmen may be tired, but they also have concrete hands and haven't made a breakout pass on the tape since November.

Totally, that's why I pointed out being tired isn't an excuse. But it is a reason for poor play sometimes along with stone hands  :lol

Seriously though, watching this team in the playoffs has been so frustrating because they haven't been able to really figure out how to adjust with Letang out. So many breakout issues, transition issues, entry/exit issues are solved just by that freak of nature logging 30 minutes a night.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1262 on: June 06, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
Agreed on all points. Bones is a big part of this team in the playoffs. Faceoffs, PK, blocking shots, 200 foot play, big goals at opportune times, etc...

By etc I assume you mean his world class acting ability. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1263 on: June 06, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »

By etc I assume you mean his world class acting ability. :p

:lol Of course!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1264 on: June 06, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
The last 2 games have been awesome... I really hope the Preds can continue to ride the momentum.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1265 on: June 06, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Pitt will be lucky to win one more game. The Preds have outworked them the entire series...the first two games in Pitt could have easily gone to the Preds.

I'm already practicing my fake smile and fake congratulatory sentence I'll have to give to my brother in law when he comes into town on July 4th....because the Preds are going to win the Cup.

Play ignorant instead.

"What, they won the Cup?  Really?"

"Nashville has a team? Since when?"

Keep that shtick going the whole time.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1266 on: June 07, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
I want Nashville to win, simply cuz I won't want Pittsburgh to get 2 in a row.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1267 on: June 07, 2017, 05:09:20 PM »
I live outside of Nashville, but take the bus downtown to work.  The combination of the CMA festival downtown and the Hockey watch party downtown will make for some crazy traffic tomorrow night.  A co worker of mine works as an usher at Bridgestone arena where the hockey games are held and she said the traffic was a gridlock downtown before and after the last home game.  A big part of the problem is the road closures for the CMA festival on Broadway.  Bridgestone is charging season ticket holders 5 dollars for the watch party admission and non season ticket holders 15 dollars.  I think they should let season ticket holders in free to the watch party.  They will make a killing on concessions.

If Nashville wins tomorrow night, Sunday will be extra crazy downtown with a chance to win the cup at home.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1268 on: June 07, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »
I live outside of Nashville, but take the bus downtown to work.  The combination of the CMA festival downtown and the Hockey watch party downtown will make for some crazy traffic tomorrow night.  A co worker of mine works as an usher at Bridgestone arena where the hockey games are held and she said the traffic was a gridlock downtown before and after the last home game.  A big part of the problem is the road closures for the CMA festival on Broadway.  Bridgestone is charging season ticket holders 5 dollars for the watch party admission and non season ticket holders 15 dollars.  I think they should let season ticket holders in free to the watch party.  They will make a killing on concessions.

If Nashville wins tomorrow night, Sunday will be extra crazy downtown with a chance to win the cup at home.

The watch party is similar to what they did here in Edmonton for ours. Season ticket holders got first right of refusal to go,  then it went to the public. All tickets $5. All proceeds to the Oilers Community Foundation charity.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1269 on: June 08, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »

The watch party is similar to what they did here in Edmonton for ours. Season ticket holders got first right of refusal to go,  then it went to the public. All tickets $5. All proceeds to the Oilers Community Foundation charity.

Just read where proceeds will go to Predators Foundation charity.  Good to know.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1270 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:39 PM »
Pitt will be lucky to win one more game. The Preds have outworked them the entire series...the first two games in Pitt could have easily gone to the Preds.

Where's the 'foot in mouth' emoji?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1271 on: June 08, 2017, 08:21:11 PM »
Preds should have just pulled the goalie and play with 6 men every game in Pitt. Would have been prettier.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: June 08, 2017, 08:50:25 PM »
Better still, hopefully the Penguins win the next two games, meaning the Nashville fans have to witness their team losing the series on home ice.  :tup :tup

Half way there!  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1273 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
Better still, hopefully the Penguins win the next two games, meaning the Nashville fans have to witness their team losing the series on home ice.  :tup :tup

I think we'll get a game 7, but what little I saw of tonight's game was most enjoyable. :tup :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1274 on: June 08, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »

I think we'll get a game 7, but what little I saw of tonight's game was most enjoyable. :tup :tup

Tonight's game was shit.  With no horse in the race or any allegiance at all, I just want good entertaining hockey.  Tonight was not that whatsoever. 

Still more entertaining than the NBA though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1275 on: June 08, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »

Tonight's game was shit.  With no horse in the race or any allegiance at all, I just want good entertaining hockey.  Tonight was not that whatsoever. 

I agree, for the most part, but the part of me that wants Nashville to lose thinks, "To hell with good games; let those bastards lose, and lose badly." :biggrin:

Still more entertaining than the NBA though.

True, but that's a pretty low bar to clear these days. :biggrin:

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1276 on: June 09, 2017, 04:14:50 AM »
This has been a pretty lame series... aside from game 1, every game has been a blowout and both teams have looked like crap on the road  :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: June 09, 2017, 06:15:33 AM »

I agree, for the most part, but the part of me that wants Nashville to lose thinks, "To hell with good games; let those bastards lose, and lose badly." :biggrin:

I hear ya.  The only people that enjoyed last night's game are Pittsburgh fans, or those that loathe Nashville   ;) :D
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1278 on: June 09, 2017, 06:48:45 AM »
This has been a pretty lame series... aside from game 1, every game has been a blowout and both teams have looked like crap on the road  :facepalm:

Umm, what? Nashville's goalies have not been good on the road, but in games 1 and 2 the Preds skaters were far superior in both games.

Game 3 was the Preds chance to steal one with momentum on their side and instead got absolutely steamrolled. This was the risk when two games you should have won get away from you. I think they have overall still played like the better team in the series, but now that their on the brink, only have one home game, and the Pens have figured some things out... not looking good. Ugh.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1279 on: June 09, 2017, 07:02:19 AM »
I'd call that a very entertaining game  :biggrin:

Thoughts -

-Sid was unbelievable, literally set the tone from the first shift and never let up, one of the best games I've seen him play considering what was at stake.
-Good bounce back for both Murray and the D men. Both the goalie and the defense-men handled the puck well and managed the game.
-Phil and Geno had it going and it was fun to watch.
-Pens are 10-0 in playoff games when Rust scores, here's hoping he scores next game.

Couple things that (as a Pens fan) made me laugh. People complaining they should have called a major on Sid for the tangle up with PK. They should have, but here's the thing, they haven't been. Crosby has taken more abuse this playoff run than I can remember another player ever taking. What he did to PK amounts to a fraction of a percent of the crap he has had to deal with, most of the time completely un-penalized. Does that make what Sid did not a major? Nope probably not. But Preds fans can't love it when PK tackles Sid behind a play and punches him in the face with a right hook and then cry when Sid gives PK the stinky glove. Fair is fair. If the refs and the league aren't going to call the game right, then it goes both ways.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: June 09, 2017, 07:12:12 AM »
when PK tackles Sid behind a play and punches him in the face with a right hook

He did the same thing to Steen....tackled him....sat on top of him while jamming his forearm into his head about ten times.....with the Ref literally seven feet away watching......Steen finally got out from underneath him then hit him with a small little slash and the ref then calls them both for roughing????

And that was one instance of him getting away with murder. If I thought it'd be constructive I could probably take the time to list off just the times he got away with penalties against the Blues but I think we all get the point. He's been allowed pretty much free range in these playoffs...so when he 'gets his' it's especially sweet to see.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: June 09, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
I will conceded that Sid has been playing like the best player on the planet that he is.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1282 on: June 09, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
when PK tackles Sid behind a play and punches him in the face with a right hook

He did the same thing to Steen....tackled him....sat on top of him while jamming his forearm into his head about ten times.....with the Ref literally seven feet away watching......Steen finally got out from underneath him then hit him with a small little slash and the ref then calls them both for roughing????

And that was one instance of him getting away with murder. If I thought it'd be constructive I could probably take the time to list off just the times he got away with penalties against the Blues but I think we all get the point. He's been allowed pretty much free range in these playoffs...so when he 'gets his' it's especially sweet to see.

Yup, you and I are pretty much on the same page. Ideally, I want to see no one get away with it, but the league is letting it happen a lot. So if they are going to let him (PK) dish it out, Preds fans can't complain too much when he gets a taste of his own meds, right?

I will conceded that Sid has been playing like the best player on the planet that he is.

Ah, no need to try to resist admitting it. He has been outstanding thus far.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1283 on: June 09, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
I love all the talking heads that are saying "Crosby cross checked Subban into the ice. I didn't see one single crosscheck. I saw a battle between 2 guys where Sid was on top and was giving him the business, but the head contact amounted to about as hard as getting slapped in the helmet. Should it habe been a penalty? Sure. But so should the exact same thing when Methot did it to Sid 3 times last series.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1284 on: June 09, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »
I love all the talking heads that are saying "Crosby cross checked Subban into the ice. I didn't see one single crosscheck. I saw a battle between 2 guys where Sid was on top and was giving him the business, but the head contact amounted to about as hard as getting slapped in the helmet. Should it habe been a penalty? Sure. But so should the exact same thing when Methot did it to Sid 3 times last series.

Agreed.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1285 on: June 09, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »

Umm, what? Nashville's goalies have not been good on the road, but in games 1 and 2 the Preds skaters were far superior in both games.

Game 3 was the Preds chance to steal one with momentum on their side and instead got absolutely steamrolled. This was the risk when two games you should have won get away from you. I think they have overall still played like the better team in the series, but now that their on the brink, only have one home game, and the Pens have figured some things out... not looking good. Ugh.

I was referring mostly to games 2 and 5 for the Preds, and I would not say the Preds skaters were "far superior" in any games other than 3 and 4. It is a shame that the Preds couldn't steal just one of the first two games.

My prediction is that the Preds win game 6 and lose in game 7. Either way I'll just shut my TV off before I have to see the Penguins win the cup. Much like the Patriots, they're such a frustrating team to root against because they always end up disappointing you because they're so damn good. Major props to the Penguins for such a dominant performance last night. I didn't watch any of it, but I know they were great and deserve a lot of credit  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: June 11, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
Look at those 'great' fans.  :lol    Suck it!  :metal  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1287 on: June 11, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »
NOOOOO

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1288 on: June 11, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »
Love seeing the Predators lose the Cup on home ice.  Suck it, Smashville.  :tup :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
Love seeing the Predators lose the Cup on home ice.  Suck it, Smashville.  :tup :tup

Yep. It's all worth it now.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1290 on: June 11, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
Fucking classless fans. I have nothing but respect for the Predators but the fans can suck it. Pelting the ice with shit when the team is defeated, screaming Penguins Suck and booing as they celebrate...fans with class respect what happened and at least applaud their team instead of denigrating the other.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1291 on: June 11, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »

Yep. It's all worth it now.

A very small saving grace for us Blues fans.  :lol :lol

Fucking classless fans. I have nothing but respect for the Predators but the fans can suck it. Pelting the ice with shit when the team is defeated, screaming Penguins Suck and booing as they celebrate...fans with class respect what happened and at least applaud their team instead of denigrating the other.

Cut them slack. They didn't even know they had a team until this year.  They don't know how to act yet.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: June 11, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »
 :rollin Kev, that's great!

True colors shining through.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1293 on: June 11, 2017, 09:13:26 PM »
Hey, that's what fans get like when their team has some modicum of success. :P

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1294 on: June 11, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
Hey, that's what fans get like when their team has some modicum of success. :P
:lol