2 (33.3%)
Yes.
0 (0%)
Yes.
3 (50%)
Yes.
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Parama's Spontaneous Roulette v1.5 (Back From the Dead)  (Read 74907 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Parama's Spontaneous Roulette v1.5 (ROUND 5 LISTENING)
« Reply #595 on: August 26, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
__d__ - ______d___

did this from memory so it might be wrong lol
It's correct  ;)
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #596 on: August 26, 2016, 12:26:22 PM »
T.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: August 26, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
You should indeed, give me the D.

By the way, this is what I had in mind when I posted this.

I know that it's haaard
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #598 on: August 26, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »
there is no T

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #599 on: August 26, 2016, 08:22:35 PM »
B

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #600 on: August 26, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »
Bbdbb - Bbbbbbdbbb

jk there's no B's

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: August 27, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »
R

When can we expect results?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #602 on: August 27, 2016, 10:07:37 AM »
__d_r - ______d___

let's go with "today" with a side of "but maybe tomorrow"

i'm actually thinking i need to give these all an extra listen which would push things from "probably today" into "maybe today but more likely tomorrow"

Offline 425

« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
L
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »
_ld_r - ______d___

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #605 on: August 27, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
Alder?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #606 on: August 27, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
Elder?! I love that band, but never really mentioned them on here
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #607 on: August 27, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »
Elder - ______d___

yessir

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #608 on: August 27, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
Compendium??

Home youre the fucking man I had no idea you were into this

Btw Sacul check out this song, this band is like Kyuss + Mastodon
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: August 27, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »
Home of Naught

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: August 27, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
Will check.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #611 on: August 27, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »
One of my best discoveries of the year tbh, I'm loving all the stoner metal type stuff right now.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #612 on: August 27, 2016, 04:44:12 PM »
One of my best discoveries of the year tbh, I'm loving all the stoner metal type stuff right now.
Someone could use that in your roulette :-X

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: August 27, 2016, 09:05:23 PM »
Will check.
It was ok  :P

Someone could use that in your roulette :-X
I'd have sent Dopesmoker tbh.

I can recommend you some stoner if you want to explore some more, Train ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #614 on: August 27, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
i tried listening to dopesmoker at some point

i have no clue how anyone ever coudl enjoy it, but i don't drugs

also i haven't started on writeups, i may try to hammer them out tonight but damn am i really not feeling like writing atm, i'll do them tomorrow for sure if i don't tonight

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: August 27, 2016, 11:51:29 PM »
well holy mountain is better, faster and groovier i guess.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #616 on: August 28, 2016, 02:49:00 AM »
Lore is a pretty cool record, something like 8-/10.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #617 on: August 28, 2016, 04:11:47 AM »
Lore is pretty great indeed  ;D I do feel the album could do with some quiter parts as it is quite tiring to listen to.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #618 on: August 28, 2016, 12:43:33 PM »
Give me R.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #619 on: August 28, 2016, 12:49:21 PM »
yeah, i have three of the writeups done and i can tell you with pretty strong certainty who's getting cut so you'll get them today

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Spontaneous Roulette v1.5 (ROUND 5 RESULTS)
« Reply #620 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
Riding Gloriously Into Battle

Tomislav95 – Ensiferum – Heathen Throne

First Impressions:
The drumming on this feels really simple, but it does well to keep a driving mood going so I think it works. Beyond that I don’t actually have a lot to say on first listen, at least halfway through the song I don’t? It’s solid folky metal that goes through enough changes to keep me interested. There’s definitely a sense of scale to this song, even besides its runtime, at half its length it’d still be nailing an epic and majestic sound quite well. Not a standout song on first listen but it’s plenty enjoyable enough, yeah.

Final Thoughts:
Listening to this more, it’s standing out as a bit weird to me that the harsh vocals on this track are closer to metalcore than anything else. Or at least that’s what I hear. Not really a positive or negative in either way, just an observation. Another observation: the folky main motif that pops up a number of times in this song always brings weird rhythms with it. It’s hard to get a grasp on what the time signature is for parts when this is playing because all the other instruments keep steady until the phrase ends, at which point there’s a bit of awkwardness to get back on track.

The song succeeds at a really driving feel during its heavier moments, and I’d attribute a lot of that to the drums; they’re straightforward enough to not detract but build enough momentum for the song to keep the driving feel going. And there’s definitely a very grand feel to the song as well. The first time the big group vocals kick in over the folky motif, just a really powerful and cool moment. I’m fairly certain that’s the chorus of the song too? It repeats several times and contains a title drop so. Yeah, that’s a good thing to have as your chorus.

The transition into the guitar solo around 6 minutes and the solo itself are both strong moments too, the song builds up momentum so quickly and just explodes as the solo enters, and it’s a pretty solid solo over a nice reprise of an earlier moment as well. And then the song really lets loose, changes into something more akin to thrash metal with a really fast and intense pace for a brief moment. It just kind of comes and goes at first but then the song goes through a few slight transitions to smoothly work its way back to this intense feel… which is kind of what I wish it’d done in the first place instead of having awkward transitions to begin with, but ehh. The intense, double-time reprise of the chorus really sells the climax of this song, it brings everything full circle in a cool way.

My thoughts on this song are that it’s… pretty cool, it does a lot right and does enough to both keep itself interesting and keep itself grounded. It takes a lot from various styles of metal and melds it all together into a mostly cohesive whole with a few bits that could probably use a bit of work to make them flow better but on the whole, yeah, a pretty interesting song. I wouldn’t really say it’s something that’s blowing me away at the moment but I enjoy it every time I listen to it and all the gripes I do have feel pretty minor overall.

8.25/10

Evermind – Avantasia – The Scarecrow

First Impressions:
The folky violin in the intro is used pretty well. I’m failing to have much to say about this about 4 minutes in. Uhh. The vocals are pretty solid. The guitar riffs have a nice groove to them. Wish there was more drums/bass presence. The calm break in the middle makes for a nice change of pace. The tradeoffs between all the instruments over the chill and ethereal atmosphere works really well. Yeah, the groove of the riffs is definitely the strongest point of this for me, mostly because they’re present through a lot of the song – so I like a lot of the song because of them. Honestly this might be accidentally a really wise choice, because a good bit of the power metal I have liked in the past was the more downtempo stuff that had groove to it like this. Maybe the ending goes on a touch long though. I feel like this could serve to be about a minute shorter.

Final Thoughts:
I really like the chorus of this song, first and foremost. It’s really grand and powerful but really simple, pretty decisively focused on the vocals with the rest of the instruments just providing a heavy backdrop. It’s pretty memorable as a result and hits hard, it’s just really satisfying.

The main folk motif that pops up throughout a lot of the song is pretty strong too, though I wish there was slightly more movement in the motif itself; it repeats basically the same phrase three times each loop and only resolves on the fourth bar. But I mean it’s memorable and pretty effective.  And it’s used in different ways, the violin and guitar both getting a lot of moments with the motif for different levels of intensity. I also really dig the guitar riff that’s going on under the heavier reprises of the melody, there’s just a cool jagged groove to it.

The atmospheric break in the middle is great too, lots of small things going on, the swelling strings, the bells and piano providing gentle melodies, the percussion keeping a tempo going, and a pretty solid guitar solo mixed in there as well. It’s a nice calm moment even if the song as a whole isn’t especially intense to begin with. The guitar solo that comes in later is pretty strong too, I enjoy it.

Around the 8 minute mark is probably my favorite moment of the song, everything builds to boiling point and the vocals are a bit over the top but in a fun way, the guitar and drums have a solid groove going and there’s a fullness to the song’s sound. And then the same theme is built into a driving, double-time feel building up to one final chorus. I dunno what I was saying with the ending going on too long though, maybe it felt longer than it is for some reason but the final chorus isn’t really that long and it ends on a final reprise of the folky motif.

I will say that the vocals as a whole aren’t really standing out to me; the rougher-edged vocals serve their purpose but I don’t find them especially powerful, and the real strength of the more melodic moments are the melodies and harmonizations. Not that the vocals are bad, either, they’re plenty solid. More just a pretty inconsequential nitpick. If I can also nitpick, I suppose it does feel like, while no one moment of the song goes on too long, maybe the song as a whole feels a bit stretched out, that may be what I was trying to get at in my first impressions writeup. At the same time, I’m not really sure what here could be cut? It’s a really cohesive song in its simplicity. There’s no one moment that really feels disposable. It’s probably fine as it is all things considered.

I’m going back and forth trying to figure out exactly where this one stands in my mind. It’s just a very solid song on all fronts that doesn’t really have any major faults. It’s pretty memorable with two big hooks and a lot of smaller things. It doesn’t strike me as hard as I feel it should but it’s still pretty darn strong. Again pingponging between scores so I’m gonna “whatever” it and give the higher one because, again, it doesn’t matter.

8.5/10

Fallen and Slain

425 – Flying Colors – Cosmic Symphony

First Impressions:
My first impression with this is that… the production just isn’t doing it for me. Everything sounds… robotic, like a slight phaser effect was thrown over the entire audio track. Also I already know this is freakin’ Neal Morse again, but sure. And Portnoy’s here too. I know about Flying Colors. The drumming here is unsurprisingly really good. Very tasteful.  The vocals are… not appealing to me here much, actually. The middle of this song sounds like… an indie country song or something. No, wait, he sounds like. George Ezra. The guy who sang that Budapest song that was pretty alright. Honestly this is actually more appealing than the proggier earlier bits to me, it’s very straight and to the point with actual emotional impact. It does sound completely detached from what came before though. This song is… strange. It’s kind of like two different songs loosely stitched together. Ehh. Sure.

Final Thoughts:
The start of this song. It sets up a really ominous vibe between the piano line and the strings, as well as the vocal melodies. But this is all contrasted with this really straightforward drum beat. Literally the most simple drum beat possible. And the song just… holds on this for a good while. It’s an okay sound to hold on, sure, and I quite like the bass solo that comes in, but the song feels a bit motionless for its first three minutes. There’s a slight sense of progress, I guess. I’m mostly nitpicking, I’m not really bothered by it that much.

The second phase of the song is proggier in nature, weirder time signatures, more interesting and tasteful drumming, the very proggy synth sound. It’s a more interesting sound and feels less stationary. And I do enjoy how the main motif of the first quarter of the song joins back in after a while. The guitar solo is okay, a bit too shreddy I suppose but it helps build a solid climax.

Most of the back half of the song just goes in a completely different direction that only vaguely feels like it follows from the rest of the song. I definitely like the vocals here a lot more than on the first half. Honestly the back half of the song is the only part of this I ever remembered after the fact, the first half of the song is maybe more “interesting” from a technical perspective but the back half is just a lot more enjoyable to listen to.

The vocals are the centerpiece here but the instrumentation plays off them really well. Somber and melodic guitar lines that are constantly changing, warm organ lines, drums that evolve alongside the music and vocals without ever being distracting. The guitar solo in this half of the song is a lot more compelling too, more of a melodic and emotive edge to it. When the backing choir comes in at the climax of the song, with the powerful vocals over them, it’s just a really strong moment and a great way to punctuate the song.

The issue with this song that I simply can’t shake. It’s two songs. The only slight relation between the front and back half of this song is that the intro motif comes back at the very end, but nothing else ties them together at all. The vocalists are different, the atmosphere is a lot more relaxed and straightforward on the back half, and it’s all the better for it. I don’t mind the front half of this track, but it’s nothing special; the back half isn’t exactly unique either but it’s much better executed and just generally more enjoyable. It’d definitely rate a lot higher on its own, but unfortunately it’s attached to an inferior front half and as a result the song just feels frustratingly split and brings the whole thing down a notch for me. I still like this track a fair bit though, it’s far from bad, it’s actually pretty good, but not quite great.

7.75/10

Leading the Charge

home – Elder – Compendium

First Impressions:
Okay, when I think of stoner metal, the guitar noodling this starts off is about the last thing I think of. But I kind of, adore it? And there’s a riff that reminds of some Led Zeppelin song I can’t put my finger on. It feels like it may get a bit repetitive though? At least the first third or so, seems to be retreading a lot of the same ground. The guitar work on this song is pretty colorful throughout and easily the most enjoyable aspect of this song for me. The rest doesn’t really have a chance to match up; drums are solid, bass maybe a bit underplayed, and I’m not sure I care much for the vocals. Especially with how low they’re mixed and you can kind of barely hear them. I think I already like this a fair bit on first listen though and I feel like it’ll probably grow on me on relisten too.

Final Thoughts:
There’s just something about the kind of guitar noodling that’s present throughout a lot of this song. I can’t really specifically say why I like it a lot, I just do. Sometimes I don’t really like guitar noodling, but often that’s just because it sounds generic and pointless. I’m not sure I can say it does have a huge point here, but it definitely sounds far from generic, maybe because of the harmonization going on, and that it’s not just basic, palatable melodies, it has flavor.

The riffs in this song are pretty cool too, I especially like the 3/4-feeling riff that’s interspersed between some of the guitar noodling. It’s got a nice power to it and it creates an interesting jagged feel whenever it shows up. The drums also, I dismissed them a bit on my first listen but they drive a strong groove and they’re definitely an important factor as to why the song works as well as it does.

The more chill passage in the middle of the song serves as a nice break from the higher energy of the rest of the track, too, it’s a nice well-textured and flowing moment that doesn’t drag on too long but still serves its purpose well.

I’m finding it hard to really have a lot new to say about this. Still not a huge fan of the vocals but they’re on so little of the song that I don’t have time to be bothered by them either, there’s a lot of instrumental passages here and they’re all plenty interesting on their own, and even the music behind the vocals tends to be strong enough that I can still enjoy the bits with vocals. The bass probably should have more presence, it’s hard to tell there’s a bassist at all on this track and I am almost positive I’d enjoy this song some more if there was a lot of interesting bass work going on that I could hear. But I can’t really hear it much if at all.

I do think the one thing this song lacks is an emotional power, or at the very least I don’t get much emotive presence out of this song aside from that one riff I mentioned. But on a technical level this is the kind of stuff I love, the guitars are doing so many cool and different things and there’s a hypnotic groove to the long instrumental passage that makes up most of the back half of the song, slowly going through a lot of small phases and evolving while lots of different flourishes and melodies drive the foreground. It pleases the music theory side of my brain far more than it pleases the emotive side of my brain, but regardless that still does mean that I enjoy it a fair bit.

So yeah, overall, this was definitely the most interesting song of the round for me, and I feel like this is the track I’m most likely to return to out of the entire bunch, just for how much it has going on, how many little details there are to pick out musically. I still am finding new things with every listen. I don’t know whether or not I’ll lose interest once I’m better able to wrap my head around all the things happening here but I kind of hope not, and that doesn’t particular matter for now anyways.

8.5/10

Smells like 425 is out, and the rest of you can send for the round I am severely going to regret oh god why do I do this to myself

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #621 on: August 28, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
Cool cool cool.
I'm not sure what to send yet but I think it won't be anything too long, I don't want to torment you (too much) and I'm not really a big fan of too long songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: August 28, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »
thank you, 10/10, you win the roulette by default gg

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #623 on: August 28, 2016, 04:46:50 PM »
that's cool

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #624 on: August 28, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »
Heathen Throne and The Scarecrow are two great songs, props to Evermind and Tomislav. :metal :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #625 on: August 28, 2016, 05:03:20 PM »
I really need to check Avantasia. 6 month ago or so I asked someone to recommend me an album and Evermind described few of their albums for me to pick what suits my tastes. And I DIDN'T check them. I hope I will before my roulette starts :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »
I'm offended surprised Evermind has been sending mostly power metal and is still in Parama's roulette. like wtf  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #627 on: August 28, 2016, 05:24:47 PM »
i mean i like some power metal but it generally bores me. evermind's just been doing good to send songs I actually like
in retrospect wheel of time probably should've scored a quarter point lower but i still think it's better than the caladan brood song by a slight bit.

Offline 425

« Reply #628 on: August 28, 2016, 08:33:14 PM »
Ah well. I honestly didn't expect to make it nearly this long anyway. It was a fun ride of sending random things and not having Parama totally hate them! This has actually been one of the more fun roulettes I've done recently; I think the sudden death element adds some excitement to waiting for/reading the results, because you never know when you're gonna get booted.

I have only two regrets: That I didn't get to send Parama an inordinately long song in long-overdue retribution for LoD,DoD, and that I didn't get to lose to Evermind by a half-point in the final. So please someone send something that's like an hour long kthx and then Evermind will have to just get his revenge on me some other time. Weird that all my regrets are roulette-revenge oriented, but ok lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: August 28, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
i'm mildly satisfied with how the results are going but i regret having to cut scorp since he did send me the best song of the roulette (actually went back to listen to it to compare the 8.5's of this round against it and yeah, it's definitely a step up above them, though i am also satisfied with not giving it a 9.0, it's not quite that good... yet)

but i prob won't run this kind of roulette again. i actually have a neat concept in mind for my next roulette that should hopefully be pretty fun.