2 (33.3%)
Yes.
0 (0%)
Yes.
3 (50%)
Yes.
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Parama's Spontaneous Roulette v1.5 (Back From the Dead)  (Read 75067 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Parama's Spontaneous Roulette v1.5 (ROUND 2 LISTENING)
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
 :corn
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
yes, your 5/10 is coming shortly, i'm just relistening to #8 and #9 again to be sure but all the writeups are done

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2016, 02:07:16 PM »
Cool, that's better than I expected.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
I'm just hoping to end higher than #13
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Spontaneous Roulette v1.5 (ROUND 2 RESULTS)
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2016, 02:08:40 PM »
Digging for Gold

#8: 425: Dio – Shame On the Night

First Impressions:
I will say first and foremost that straightforward heavy metal is uuuusually not my thing, but, we shall see. This is actually kind of interesting though, it’s a very downbeat, plodding song that still has a nice level of intensity going on. I guess my only worry is that I’m not sure how much this justifies being 5 minutes, I feel like I might get a little sick of it on relistens as it doesn’t come off as a particularly diverse song? But I do enjoy it on first listen.

Final Thoughts:
As I predicted, this is probably the song I got the least out of on relistens. Once you’ve heard this once, there’s nothing to really surprise you anymore. That’s absolutely wonderful if you’re trying to appeal to the casual listener or have a radio smash hit – instant gratification that’s just repetitive enough to be catchy but not so repetitive as to get annoying. There is absolutely a place for music like this.

Dio is a great singer, there’s basically no denying that. Unlike Bruce Dickinson last round, he has the music behind him to back up his pipes, too. His vocals are clearly the focus of a lot of the song, and for a good reason. He throws his all into every line, just injects power into every word. I can appreciate that, even if his style of vocals isn’t really my cup of tea, it’s still enjoyable enough to listen to.

But once I get tired of the vocals after hearing this for the fourth or fifth time, the song’s appeal really drops for me. There’s really not a lot to this song. Aside from the quiet intro that gets reprised later, it’s verses and choruses all the way home, with an extended outro fadeout. And it’s all very similar plodding, heavy riffs that are kind of cool but then get so hammered into your head that they start to lose their power after a while. I do appreciate the thick bass on the verses, and the choir vocals on the outro make for a satisfying climax. But as a whole I just get sick of it quickly.

I did specifically warn about this in my tastes post; “Straightforward hard rock is probably going to bore me.” And, yeah, that’s ultimately what it came down to here. I can’t say this is a bad song, and if I only heard it like once or twice a month for a few months and then never again, I’d probably remember it fondly, but listening to it every day for the better part of a week, I’m definitely tired of listening to it and wouldn’t want to return to it.

5.5/10

#7: Train of Naught: Children of Nova – Second Sight Blackout

First Impressions:
A vaguely psychedelic feel to the beginning of this song, probably mostly due to that wah-soaked guitar in the back. And then the song takes a completely different feel when the chorus kicks in apparently, sure. Nice and high energy here, all the instruments are definitely contributing to that. I think what’s sticking out most here is how good the mix is… all the instruments are quite audible and it all comes together well. Pretty intense, manic ending to this one too.

Final Thoughts:
It’s just strange that they spent almost the first two minutes playing one song and then cut to a completely different, basically unrelated song. And I mean, I enjoy both halves separately, but they just don’t go together, the transition doesn’t work. At least for me. Ehh. It’s a small complaint, comparatively, since I can only be bothered by it for about three seconds.

So. The first half is this downbeat, psychedelic type of song. I like it. There’s nice atmosphere to the layers of guitars, it’s very chill stuff. The drums and bass are doing neat, kind of subtle stuff to keep things musically interesting, and the vocals sound fine enough. I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of this vocalist on the basis of this one song, but, solid.

The back half is a high-energy post-hardcore song with a strong emphasis on melodic guitar lines. Well, especially one of them that gets repeated maybe a bit too much, but it’s kind of cool. Definitely feels like they overused it though. The drums here are pretty basic aside from that jagged fill that plays at the end of every phrase, which, again, is pretty cool the first few times you hear it, but once you’ve heard it a dozen times in the same song it might get a bit played out.

The two bits of the song that really stick out are the calmer bridge at around 3:30, returning to the psychedelic vibe of earlier in the song and doing it pretty nicely, it’s a nice breather moment that also is probably the only thing tying the first half and second half together in any real way. And the ending, that’s pretty cool stuff. Blastbeat drumming as the song reaches its close and a fast, frantic guitar line to close things out.

Everything else… well, there’s some solid vocal moments but I never really find them that memorable, just, solid. I could find the chorus powerful and epic, but I only kind of feel that way about it. It doesn’t have as much power as it feels like it should have, and I can’t say why. There’s an intensity to the music and to the vocals and a harmonization going on there, yet it just never clicks into place. I think it may just be the singer. I don’t think he quite sells it, his voice just doesn’t work for me with the more intense stuff.

Honestly I’m still trying to evaluate how I feel about this song, because I like it, but it’s not anything particularly fresh and it isn’t even especially well-executed, just… solid.  Again pingponging between two scores here so again I’m just going to give you the higher one, I keep doing this for your songs for some reason.

7/10

#6: Bolsters: HAIM – Let Me Go

First Impressions:
Right away this strikes me as much more of a “Bolsters” song than the last one you sent, whatever that means. The vocal timbre of this comes off to me as “angsty teenager who just started singing but wants to sound really mature”. I like the pounding drums going on here quite a lot, gives the song a big, bombastic feel, and the driving bassline definitely adds to that mood. Oh, it ended. I guess it still felt like this was building to something, but no, it wasn’t. Alright then.

Final Thoughts:
I dunno what I was talking about with the vocals. They just sound very indie-rock-ish. And I can’t tell if the singer is a guy or girl, but I also don’t really care particularly much. They sound fine enough. The harmonizations sound pretty good and make the vocals sound a lot bigger than they otherwise would, at the very least. The vocals are pretty clearly the focus of this song too, lots of jagged rhythms and quirky melodies on the verses and big harmonizations and layers on the chorus.

The music behind the vocals does a good job of building up, too. There’s fairly minimal instrumentation behind the first verse and chorus, and then the thumping bass and drums kick in for the second verse, escalating for the chorus as the guitar comes in. The guitar work is pretty simple here but also really effective. That repeating motif feels like something straight out of a 70’s rock song, or at least that’s the vibe I’m getting, but yeah, I dig it.

The vocals do kind of drop out a bit when the guitar takes center stage, but that may be for the best, I’m not sure where else they could’ve gone at that point, they can’t really effectively wrestle with the booming instrumentation or the swagger of the guitars. The song does reach a solid climax by the time it ends, but it really does feel like it was still building to something. I wouldn’t have minded a huge closing chorus with even more layers of vocals and crunchier guitars, some real power to close off the track that ties everything together. But, no, it just… ends.

And I really dislike that synth thing that happens right at the end, it’s just kind of irritating. But it only lasts like a second so I can’t get too bothered. Ehh. Nitpicking.

I wouldn’t say this is the best-structured song, and it doesn’t quite feel like it lives up to its potential, but it definitely grew on me the more I listened to it; the vocals during the verses especially, there’s just a smoothness to the vocal melody there that I quite like. But no, it’s definitely a solid song, I can definitely dig it. Not outstanding for what it is but it’s more engaging than a lot of indie rock tends to be.

7.25/10

#5: Sacul: dredg – Sanzen

First Impressions:
DTF really wants to get me to like dredg. I was sent them in my first roulette, almost twice actually, and now here they are here again. The verses are pretty nice and upbeat, between the strummy guitar and fast-paced hihats. And there’s a nice amount of power to the chorus, a nice wall of guitar noise. Weird jagged proggy type break, okay. I quite dig that atmospheric, chaotic bit a bit past the middle of the song, quite intense but also beautiful, in a way. And then… hard cut to some jazzy thing, sure why not. There’s like a whole lot of “stuff happens” in the middle of this song, it seems.

Final Thoughts:
Honestly I don’t even remember what the dredg song I was sent in the first round sounds like. It definitely wasn’t half as good as this song, I’ll say that straight up.

The punchy chords in the verses create a nice bright feel, and the bassline really helps with that, I quite like it. It’s upbeat and enjoyable to listen to. The chorus contrasts with a big, dense sound, layers of tremolo guitar and crash cymbal creating a nice soundscape. I dig it.

Then there’s an abrupt cut to a kind of generic indie rock-ish bit that I don’t really mind but is definitely inferior to the rest of the song. Thankfully it’s over quick and the free time intense swell of noise that hits after is really cool, just a lovely huge sound. And then a brief cut to a jazzy break for some soloing, because the middle of this song is an absolutely mess structurally. Again, this bit I’m not so huge on but I don’t mind it either. It’s pleasant, and it transitions back into the final chorus well enough.

I’m not really sure how to describe the singer’s voice here. It’s like… a singing style I’ve heard before (and no, not just from the other dredg song I’ve heard), but one that I can’t make any comparisons to, either. And I’m neutral to slightly positive on the vocals, all things considered. They feel kind of monodynamic, mostly; there’s basically no variation to the level he’s singing at, except that there’s some reverb on his voice during the chorus that makes it sound slightly bigger. The vocal melodies are solid enough though.

In general I’d say I like the main “meat” of this song, but the random interludes in the middle of the song just don’t work too well; it feels like the attitude was “gotta do random stuff just to be prog” but they didn’t really know how to integrate the random stuff very well so it just happens. But there’s nothing here that’s unpleasant to listen to and it’s generally pretty musically interesting. I like this but I can’t say I love it.

7.25/10

#4: Evermind: Sonata Arctica – My Dream's But a Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare

First Impressions:
I’ve known of Sonata Arctica for about as long as I’ve known of Dream Theater, honestly, but as I’ve almost always shied away from power metal I’ve never really checked them out beyond a few songs. Already this feels like it has a lot more personality and originality to it than the genre’s standard. Yeah, the layers of harmonized vocals are definitely making me happy. I guess the biggest issue is that the strings aren’t especially convincing, and looking it up, yeah, they are indeed fake it looks like, but ehh. I feel like your quest to get cut from my roulette is going to need at least one more round.

Final Thoughts:
The way this song flows and the many twists it takes while sounding fairly effortless in doing so. I admire it for that, no doubt. Building up a simple piano line into a heavy, chuggy riff and then taking that to a driving, triumphant feel with a bit of folky stuff creeping in shortly after, none of these would really be that stellar on their own but it’s the way the song is constructed that makes it stand out.

Around 2 minutes the song cuts to a more standard 4/4 power metal feel and the chorus here is… weird, but intriguing. The vocal line has a weird rhythm to it and a strange melody, it’s far from cliché and interesting as a result. 4:30 sees a return to the driving triplet feel with some piano and huge vocals making for an engaging climax, before returning to piano to close out the track. A full circle type of track.

I think one thing that makes this work where a lot of power metal doesn’t for me is that… a lot of power metal feels too clean and structured, calculated. It ends up, ironically, lacking in power; coming off as feigning heaviness that it can’t actually back up. I don’t think that’s the case here. I think this song is very convincingly heavy and it’s very loose, very flowing. There’s no big singalong chorus that the song defaults to, it’s constantly on the move and doing something interesting at every turn.

I will say though that the string sound does hinder this at least a little for me, and it’s not like this song is that old – 2007 from what I could find, newer than the Kamelot stuff I know, but I actually don’t mind the rougher production this has; it really helps with avoiding the “too clean” sound of power metal. But yeah those strings could’ve served to sound better. Just a nitpick, because I have to.

I can’t say it’s the most unique song in the greater scheme of things, but for power metal, it’s definitely above and beyond what I’m used to. Heck, even Kamelot on their more interesting songs still can fall prey to the issues I have with other power metal bands, it’s just that, well, I heard the standard stuff from Kamelot first, which is probably about the only reason I ever got into them. But considering that I’ve known about these guys forever and never got around to checking them out, you may just have convinced me to give them a proper shot sometime.

7.5/10

#3: Scorpion: Dir En Grey – Vinushka

First Impressions:
I feel like at least at the start here the vocals are mixed far too low. That problem goes away quickly enough though so yeah fine. I had to go look up to make sure I wasn’t just imagining that the singer sounds Japanese. And yup. The band is. Didn’t expect that from the name. I uhh. Am not finding much to say about this, other than that it’s solid. Some of the heavier moments of this sound a bit thin, they’re lacking in punch when they should be crushing. There’s a good amount of diversity here and although none of it is really that fresh I can certainly enjoy it for what it is, even if I’m not a huge fan yet.

Final Thoughts:
Let’s face it here, this is obviously a really safe entry. The moment your PM hit my inbox you were basically already safe for at least one more round, even before I’d heard a note. Because it’s heavy prog metal, which I am horribly biased towards.

And uhh. Beyond that, I actually have no clue what to say about this, other than “it all sounds good”. The song builds up nicely to its first chorus during the first two minutes, and the chorus is very satisfying with a strong melody to it. There’s some heavier/harsher points to the song but overall it’s quite dynamic.

I guess, the drumming catches my ear the most here, there’s a lot of tom-heavy pounding moments in the quieter moments of the song and some good driving rhythms through the more intense moments. The guitar work throughout is solid too, if not particularly inventive. Some nice pretty moments and some solid riffing going on too.

The vocals on the whole are fine. Not really a huge fan of the distinctly Japanese timbre on the cleans but they have enough emotion in them that I’m not bothered by it, the final chorus especially has some cool moments. And the harsh vocals, while not really that special, sound find. The really guttural growls are actually kind of cool in a way, usually not my kind of thing but I dig it here.

I can’t really say there’s any part of this that really stands out in a strong way, just that it’s a well-constructed song front-to-back that keeps me interested enough the whole way through. I sort of feel like I don’t have enough time/listens to really “get” this and I may come back and revisit it later. But I’m also not going to stress too hard about underrating this right now when it literally doesn’t matter in the long run, and I know where it stands in comparison to the rest of the songs at this point in time, pretty definitively.

7.75/10

#2: Tomislav95: Goldfrapp – Clay

First Impressions:
Okay, the decision to have staccato strings going on in the background of a somber acoustic/vocal bit was a good one for sure. Reminds of me Olafur Arnalds’ Old Skin in a way. It’s maybe a bit slow to build or progress but it’s a very pretty song to listen to at the very least. I don’t have much to say about this. It’s well-textured and rather pleasant to listen to but not something that hits me too hard on first listen, though I can see it growing on me.

Final Thoughts:
I don’t know what it is about this one. It’s so simple and lowkey, but quite effective. The way the song builds up from just guitar and vocals at the start to a really full-sounding song with layers of orchestration, and does so smoothly enough that you barely notice it happening. Yeah, that’s the kind of build I enjoy.

This is another singer where I’m not sure if they’re male or female and I also don’t really care because it doesn’t matter, their voice is just a great complement to the music here. And there’s a lot of subtle harmonizing going on in a few places, just another layer added to the whole mix.

The orchestration is definitely what makes this track work, and a good part of that is because it just sounds great. Like, I don’t know if the strings are real or fake but they sound plenty real to me. Between the staccato lines going on throughout most of the song, and the sweeter high tones that add to the texture of the track, it all works really well.

Obviously this did turn out to be a grower, probably even more than I expected it to. I can’t really find any fault with this song. Maybe the ending is a tad abrupt, but only a little? It’s not a perfect song or anything either, it doesn’t evoke any really strong emotions, but it evokes plenty of lighter ones and I quite enjoy it every time I listen to it, so there’s definitely something there.

8/10

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
Naught but Pyrite

#10: LordCost: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum – The Donkey-Headed Adversary Of Humanity Opens The Discussion

First Impressions:
Well, that’s certainly a song title alright. I can see this is going to be pretty heavy on the dissonance aspect. At some point, this kind of dissonance just ends up being a blur to me, there’s not a lot to get out of a total lack of melody. I guess there’s something resembling melody with the flute and strings bit in the middle though. I honestly can’t tell if this is super pretentious or it’s just that I don’t “get” it but I certainly can’t deny that it’s unique.

Final Thoughts:
I just… don’t know how to deal with this song. It’s generally the one I’m most looking forward to showing up when I listen to all these, but then it’s easily the song I get the least enjoyment out of to actually listen to. It’s absolutely the most unique song here, at the very least. I don’t know how you even classify this. Avant-Garde Metal? Kind of?

It’s incredibly complex music. The rhythms are constantly changing, there’s a ton of different instruments in there and everything is doing its own thing all the time, but synchronized well enough that it all clicks into place. On a purely rhythmic level this song is pretty neat. But it’s lacking in melody, and that’s really its downfall. The melodies that do exist here are all strange and twisted, I don’t think this song is played in any scale other than the chromatic scale.

It never gets overwhelming and it’s not lacking in dynamics; there are more than enough breaks and even at its heaviest it’s not particularly crushing, just chaotic and manic. The quieter breaks have some of the more eclectic instrumentation and more melody and they’re generally the highlight of this song for me. They’re playful in an interesting way.

It’s not really too long either and it goes in enough directions that it doesn’t get boring. It repeats some ideas and melodies, but never too often, and reuses them in interesting or clever ways. Everything flows well together, there’s no really awkward transitions, and the climax of the song is satisfying and ends the track well, given everything before it.

On a technical level, everything is basically in its right place.

Except the most important part – I just don’t enjoy listening to it. The heavy parts have no power to them, they feel robotic and jagged in the worst ways, without any real punch, and they all blend together. The quieter moments do have an appealing playfulness to them, but they have no atmosphere and no real emotive presence either. The song is incredibly dry to listen to and just leaves me feeling nothing, and without any memorable riffs or beautiful melodies, with the harsh gruff vocals that have no emotion to them, it’s just unpleasant to listen to.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, as with Jean-Luc Ponty last round, I can see why someone would get a lot of enjoyment out of this, but I just… don’t. There’s not a single passage of this 6-minute track that I find myself wanting to return to.

3.25/10

#9: Tyrias: Azedia – Remain As You Are

First Impressions:
I am super wary about this from how you described it because it sounds like the kind of thing I’d hate, or at least be super bored by. Thus far it’s… pleasant enough, but the atmosphere isn’t really one I’m finding myself getting lost in. Not actually bothered by the spoken word here, it’s not grating and it mostly is used to fill up the emptier parts of the track.  There’s a pretty satisfying climax in the back half and it sounds like some guitar’s crept in there? Awesome. I liked this more than I expected to, though I don’t like it as much as your first round submission, either.

Final Thoughts:
I’m sitting here trying to type up something for this and just realizing that, wow, this is just a really generic song. Like, it’s inoffensive and generally pretty pleasant to listen to, but…

What does this have to offer, really? Definitely not that piano line, which is incredibly standard for this kind of electronic stuff. Or the percussion, which is nothing special. The vocals? They’re alright, I guess, she sounds decent. Not particularly unique and the vocal melodies are nothing special, but, pleasant.

I guess, when the guitar kicks in for the last two minutes and the song gets pretty huge sounding... that’s at least something I can dig. The constant, repetitive ascending synth line that accompanies it is nothing special to start with and gets really tiresome as it keeps going on.

And this song has so few elements to speak of overall. Like, I basically went over everything the song has to offer except the weird dubstep-y synths and the spoken word parts, both of which I’m… pretty indifferent to, all things considered. I guess there’s the warm, droning synths in the background, but that’s just it, they’re in the background, they serve their purpose well but they’re not what you pay attention to.

This is another one that just got less interesting with every listen, because it has so little to offer, and what it does have to offer doesn’t have much power or depth to it, nothing to keep me wanting to return. I would never really seek it out, but I don’t mind listening to it either, and I can’t say I’m eager to return to it.

5/10

Pure Precious Metal

#1: home: We Made God – II

First Impressions:
When the tremolo guitar comes in it’s almost like a chainsaw drowning out everything beneath it, and I can’t tell if I hate it or love it. I am loving how heavy and overwhelming this is though. Hmm… yeah… that sample would probably be better if it was a bit lower in the mix but the music behind it is nice enough that I don’t really mind that much? The buildup from the middle onwards is really well-done and the crushingly beautiful climax makes for a great payoff too. You’ve definitely hit upon a sweet spot with heavy, atmospheric music here though, even if there is one glaring flaw.

Final Thoughts:
I’m really surprised this isn’t tagged as blackgaze anywhere, because that’s really the biggest vibe I get from this track, especially with all the distorted tremolo picking going on and the huge wall of sound it creates. That’s exactly what I like in black metal and blackgaze, and yeah, I am definitely digging it here. The heavier moments of this are as crushing as I’d want them to be.

The quieter moments, too, are well-executed here. The bass and drums carry their weight well and keep the driving feel of the song going while the twinkly guitars provide the texture that allows the song to build back up to a heavier finale.

The vocals here are pretty solid, the clean vocals in the first half sound pretty strained as they’re being crushed by the wall of guitars, and the harsh vocals in the second half are even further crushed to the point where they just provide a layer of rough texture to an already intense atmosphere.

The sample though. I don’t like it, and you knew I wouldn’t like it. Especially the case with the almost 30 seconds of nothing but sample at the end, which I was legitimately tempted to cut off the mp3 because it would improve the song to do so, but even in the middle of the song, at least when it first kicks in, it’s too much. I get so tired of samples like this so easily, I hate when Godspeed does it and I pretty well hate it here. Honestly the last thing I ever want is politics in my music, and I am pretty averse to “angry” music in general, which is what samples like this always make songs feel like. Mix it lower or cut it out entirely, I say. It does end up buried under the music as the song builds back up, but the damage is definitely done. Oh well.

Even sample aside, while I do enjoy this song on a basic level, it isn’t anything especially unique for what it is, just (mostly) well-executed atmospheric metal. Probably not something I’d want to seek out more of but I may at least check out the album, since I do like this.

8/10

LordCost and Tyrias are out, the rest can go ahead and send round 3.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:18:11 PM by Parama »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »
You mean I could've gone with a worse song and still be in? Damn.

As a massive fan of Second Sight Blackout I think you point out all the flaws in the song very well, and I can see them. Guess the song is incredibly disjointed but it's something I care way less for if I simply like the separate parts enough. The other songs on the EP are not really as disjointed but they don't have as much staying power.

Gonna step up for R3, maybe something riskier IDK yet.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »
Well, at least it was no 3.25 :lol. It was fun playing while it lasted, but I wasn't really expecting to make it far.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
I have no problems with #2 :tup
I'm pretty sure I know what to send, something intense and beautiful, and noisy (very noisy). Expect it soon.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
Wow, I actually expected to be out and have no clue what to send now. Will send shortly though, since I am not entirely sure if I have acces to internet in the following couple of days.

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline 425

« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
Wow, I barely made it through. One of my bigger concerns was realized to an extent:

I can’t say this is a bad song, and if I only heard it like once or twice a month for a few months and then never again, I’d probably remember it fondly, but listening to it every day for the better part of a week, I’m definitely tired of listening to it and wouldn’t want to return to it.

Because this is definitely not a song and artist that I return to frequently, and I definitely have fond feelings towards this song, but I'm not sure how I'd do if I listened to it everyday for a week.

Well, I made it through, and I'll try to find something different here just to keep things interesting. I can't possibly make it through another round, though, can I?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »
send me a better song and you might  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
I'm gonna send hip-hop so you only have to beat 1 person

Offline 425

« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »
Wow so my chances of surviving are now up to 10% from 2%.

What I like is how even the song Parama liked best got the "Probably not something I’d want to seek out more of" treatment. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »
honestly of the last set, the three bands i'm most likely to check out more from are dir en grey, sonata arctica, and - of course - sleepytime gorilla museum. the last one just to see if their other stuff is that unpleasant, mostly, but  :lol
i'll probably get around to checking out everything that scores 7.5 or higher at some point, at the very least

i did check out some amorphis too but wasn't really too into it. basically how i felt about the song i got, it's solid and i like it but it doesn't really stand out or sound particularly fresh.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
i did check out some amorphis too but wasn't really too into it. basically how i felt about the song i got, it's solid and i like it but it doesn't really stand out or sound particularly fresh.

I guess you didn't come across any of their mid-90's stuff then, that's where their widely considered classic material is at. Eclipse onwards is solid-to-excellent on its own merits.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: August 07, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »
i checked out skyforger, the album the song i got was on
fwiw i have a hard time with 90's metal albums in general, production is often too muddy or rough for me
especially any black or death metal

Offline LordCost

« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »
honestly of the last set, the three bands i'm most likely to check out more from are dir en grey, sonata arctica, and - of course - sleepytime gorilla museum. the last one just to see if their other stuff is that unpleasant, mostly, but  :lol
i'll probably get around to checking out everything that scores 7.5 or higher at some point, at the very least

Try to listen to Phtisis, I want to know if I would have passed the round with that one. It's shorter and has a melody (weird, but at least I can say there's a melody) sang by a female voice. Or if you really have time, listen to all the first five tracks of the Natural History album to decide how much you don't like them, to me that sequence of tracks is brilliant.

I was listening to SGM these days, today I tried with Helpless Corpses Enactment of their last album (I only know 1 out of 3 albums). Stay away from that one, it's on the same style of The donkey etc. but more heavy, drier and unpleasant, as you said for my song :lol

Offline LordCost

« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
These days I had a reason to listen to music I don't listen often to search for possible submissions, and I probably have found enough songs for 7-8 rounds. It's a shame it's all already finished  :facepalm: I will keep them for a future roulette

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
there will be another parama roulette, probably earlyish-to-mid-2017 or so i'd guess

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2016, 08:45:13 PM »
Nice, #5 again. Time to send some modern classical.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »
Wow I actually get to send another song? Okay then.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
Wow, there's 3.25 and isn't mine. I've got another SGM song in my roulette and I think it got 4/10. :lol

Check out Unia from SA, I think it will appeal to you the most. I was sure this song was going to get me eliminated though. Now I have to think of another song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
Sent my last song for real this time probably.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2016, 02:50:19 AM »
#10: LordCost: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum – The Donkey-Headed Adversary Of Humanity Opens The Discussion

[...] The heavy parts have no power to them, they feel robotic and jagged in the worst ways, without any real punch, and they all blend together. The quieter moments do have an appealing playfulness to them, but they have no atmosphere and no real emotive presence either. The song is incredibly dry to listen to and just leaves me feeling nothing, and without any memorable riffs or beautiful melodies, with the harsh gruff vocals that have no emotion to them, it’s just unpleasant to listen to.

I understand why you would find this track unpleasant (and to each is own), but to say it has "no real emotion presence" is misleading. Music isn't just about "beautiful melodies" and simple emotions that can be easily categorized. There is a lot going on here, not only on a technical level. It's just that the internal meaning of the song is less obvious and much harder to grasp than most rock bands. I've come to accept the fact that this kind of music is only accessible if you're used to listen to classical music (especially 20th century classical music) or post 60's jazz, because they work the same way and seek for a more complete human experience, that involves not only emotions (even if subtle ones, and weird and jagged ones too, because the human experience is that way) but also intellect, critical distance, and abstract thinking, than most modern pop/rock music, which is mostly obvious and only seeks an immediate response from the listener.

To put it bluntly, the SGM stuff involves real emotions. The reified version of emotions that most rock and pop music sells you as "honest" or whatever, and is in reality contrived and conventional, does not.

On another note, "The Donkey-Headed Adversary Of Humanity Opens The Discussion" is one of their most accessible tracks, so you can skip the rest.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2016, 06:25:32 AM »
Sent some hangmanencore

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #306 on: August 08, 2016, 07:06:18 AM »
Sent some folk metal. According to the first couple of posts, this should be up Parama's alley, but none of his music tastes make sense, so who knows.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »

[...] The heavy parts have no power to them, they feel robotic and jagged in the worst ways, without any real punch, and they all blend together. The quieter moments do have an appealing playfulness to them, but they have no atmosphere and no real emotive presence either. The song is incredibly dry to listen to and just leaves me feeling nothing, and without any memorable riffs or beautiful melodies, with the harsh gruff vocals that have no emotion to them, it’s just unpleasant to listen to.

I understand why you would find this track unpleasant (and to each is own), but to say it has "no real emotion presence" is misleading. Music isn't just about "beautiful melodies" and simple emotions that can be easily categorized. There is a lot going on here, not only on a technical level. It's just that the internal meaning of the song is less obvious and much harder to grasp than most rock bands. I've come to accept the fact that this kind of music is only accessible if you're used to listen to classical music (especially 20th century classical music) or post 60's jazz, because they work the same way and seek for a more complete human experience, that involves not only emotions (even if subtle ones, and weird and jagged ones too, because the human experience is that way) but also intellect, critical distance, and abstract thinking, than most modern pop/rock music, which is mostly obvious and only seeks an immediate response from the listener.

To put it bluntly, the SGM stuff involves real emotions. The reified version of emotions that most rock and pop music sells you as "honest" or whatever, and is in reality contrived and conventional, does not.

On another note, "The Donkey-Headed Adversary Of Humanity Opens The Discussion" is one of their most accessible tracks, so you can skip the rest.
reminder: this is all my opinion, and when i say something has no emotional presence, that's because it makes me feel nothing

this post is literally the pretentious garbage i'm talking about though, can you please get out of my thread?  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2016, 09:42:45 AM »
this post is literally the pretentious garbage i'm talking about though, can you please get out of my thread?  :lol

I'll admit to being no expert in music, but I'm moderately knowledgeable about literature, and in that field it's been in vogue for a while now for people to supposedly find great depth in really bizarre and hard-to-read books or poetry while casting aspersions on "contrived and conventional" works. This seems to me like a similar situation, and I'm deeply skeptical of claims like that.

I only listened to a few minutes of that track, and it's not really anything I would want to listen to. I don't intend to cast aspersions on anyone who likes it—I guess I can see why someone might, for technicality if for nothing else—but I have to agree with what Parama said about pretension.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »
tbh, it's mostly that he's trying to tell me my opinion is wrong

oh and i have 5/8 songs now, NUGGETZ

Offline 425

« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:09 AM »
That too, but what I'm getting at is the particular style of doing that: "oh, you're just used to that conventional, contrived stuff that is all fake emotion, while this thing that an uncultured person like you might find robotic, dry or unpleasant is where true emotion lies."

It's just a particular attitude that I find annoying.

Anyway, let me try and find a song for you.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »
I feel bad for people who can't find enjoyment in "Napalm Death - You Suffer", they probably just don't have a human experience as complete as mine

Offline 425

« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2016, 10:06:24 AM »
OMG Train how did you know what my favorite song was?!!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »
Educated guess.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
I can't believe I'm going to argue that one, because I'm usually the guy who stays away from all discussion like this since I come here mostly to relax and share my opinion about music and have fun, but something about this just got under my skin I suppose.

Stuff like this sounds like you would really benefit to get off the high horse, so to speak. Hell, everyone gets emotional over different things, depending on the life events experienced, the way of living, the way your personality shaped up through all the years. Sometimes it's the simplicity and honesty that does it, where only the piano and the voice behind the song can make you weep because of how personal the subject to you or how stunningly beautiful the vocal melody is, or sometimes it's the outright anger and chaotic nature of the song, or sometimes it's the complexity; I'm fairly sure every person here on DTF is slightly different in this regard. To label some of the music containing and evoking "real emotions" and shrugging off other music (which may or may not be more or less simple than the band/song in question), saying it's "fake" and only "sells you the reified version of emotions as «honest»" is inconsiderate at best, and quite belittling and insulting to other forum users, once again in my opinion.

Short version, I'm with 425 on that matter. But hey, to each their own I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.