Author Topic: "Street corn"/"Ghetto corn"  (Read 3320 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"Street corn"/"Ghetto corn"
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:59:55 AM »
Based on this from another thread:
2- Another home sickness food, this time it's more of a snack, we grill corn on the cob in Egypt as a snack, we have it on the streets like hot dog carts in NY, I tried to grill corn here the same way we do in Egypt but it ended up getting stained by the coal and tasted like it too, in Egypt they put it directly on the coal and it doesn't get stained, I've been told to try it with the metal grill barrier thing but it didn't taste the same, what am I doing wrong?

I have learned fairly recently that variations of this are pretty common in a LOT of different countries.  Apparently, in Mexico specifically, they serve a variation as a "street food" that is grilled, and then coated in mayonnaise and sprinkled with cayenne.  REALLY good!  :drool: 

Two questions:
1.  Anyone else had it?
2.  Anyone ever heard it referred to as "ghetto corn?"  Just curious.  My understanding is that it is a regional thing, and that it is referred to that way in a certain area.  But I am also aware of someone who was offended by that references and somehow thought it might be a racial slur.  Thoughts?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: "Street corn"/"Ghetto corn"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:10 AM »
Based on this from another thread:
2- Another home sickness food, this time it's more of a snack, we grill corn on the cob in Egypt as a snack, we have it on the streets like hot dog carts in NY, I tried to grill corn here the same way we do in Egypt but it ended up getting stained by the coal and tasted like it too, in Egypt they put it directly on the coal and it doesn't get stained, I've been told to try it with the metal grill barrier thing but it didn't taste the same, what am I doing wrong?

I have learned fairly recently that variations of this are pretty common in a LOT of different countries.  Apparently, in Mexico specifically, they serve a variation as a "street food" that is grilled, and then coated in mayonnaise and sprinkled with cayenne.  REALLY good!  :drool: 

Two questions:
1.  Anyone else had it?
2.  Anyone ever heard it referred to as "ghetto corn?"  Just curious.  My understanding is that it is a regional thing, and that it is referred to that way in a certain area.  But I am also aware of someone who was offended by that references and somehow thought it might be a racial slur.  Thoughts?

My girlfriend insists on making corn like this. It's delicious, but it tastes no different than corn coated in butter and salt and pepper. We don't grill it outright though. We wrap in in foil and let it cook like that, and then we'll put it on the grill for only a few minutes once it's done.

Definitely not a racial slur, though we refer to it as Mexican corn.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »

I love corn...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
I love grilled corn.  I pull the husks back, take off the "strings", and soak the corn and pulled back husks for about 10 minutes in cool water.  Then I close the husks back up as best I can, and put them on a hot grill for about 15 minutes or so, turning so one side doesn't get too blackened.   

Delicious!

I've not had it with mayo and cayenne, but people swear by it.   I stick with butter, salt and pepper, though sometimes I will cut it off the cob and eat it in a bowl, seasoned. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
I just did this with melted butter and lemon pepper dry mix. It was excellent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
Damn, now I want corn on the cob.  Florida doesn't grow good corn though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
Anyone from New Jersey will tell you they have the best corn ever.

For once, they are right.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »
Mexican street corn is awesome... Grilled, covered in mayo, rolled in crumbled cotija, sprinkled with cayenne and a little cilantro.  Heavenly.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »
No mayo down here (thankfully). Also, don't know about up there, but it's served in a cup down here. Old Mexican uses a giant knife to cut it straight off the cob into a dixie cup. Served with crema, cojita and a squirt of lime. Salsa as desired. Out front of any Mexican grocery store or taqueria there's usually somebody with a cart cranking it out.

And we just call it elotes. It's a distinctly Mexican thing down here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
^^^so fucking good...

During peak season here, the local corn is so damn good all it really needs is a touch of salt.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
A little lime on it sounds amazing.  I will try that El Barto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »
I'll be damned. It looks like serving it in a cup must be a regional thing. All the references I'm seeing are of it served on the cob.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Since no one else is addressing it, I've never heard the term "Ghetto Corn" but I'm pretty sure a lot of people would find that offensive, at least where I'm from.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »
I'll be damned. It looks like serving it in a cup must be a regional thing. All the references I'm seeing are of it served on the cob.
I've seen reference to it both ways.  After I discovered it and made it on my own, I cut if off because it was easier to eat.  Bonus was, I made a ton, and we had leftovers.  We also had potato salad.  I combined the two and my head almost exploded from how good it was.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
No mayo down here (thankfully). Also, don't know about up there, but it's served in a cup down here. Old Mexican uses a giant knife to cut it straight off the cob into a dixie cup. Served with crema, cojita and a squirt of lime. Salsa as desired. Out front of any Mexican grocery store or taqueria there's usually somebody with a cart cranking it out.

Consulted with the wife on this one, she always thought of elote and street corn as being distinct dishes, though admits that is likely splitting hairs.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »

That sounds REALLY good.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 03:56:32 AM »
I enjoy corn in all its varieties.

I have seen it as Mexican corn, on the cob on a stick in mayo and cayenne. Mmmmm
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 10:36:07 PM »
I'm in north central Ohio. We used to have something that we called mexican corn when I was a kid, but I haven't seen it in many years. It doesn't sound like anything that you guys are describing. It was corn with small bits of green and red peppers cut up into it. It's probably a regional thing.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »
I took a friend out to dinner the other day for helping me pack, and we went to Outback since I had a bunch of gift cards for there.  They had something similar to street corn as a limited time side.  Lime and cojita, and no cob.  Not as good as the real Sanchez, but not bad.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
I'm in north central Ohio. We used to have something that we called mexican corn when I was a kid, but I haven't seen it in many years. It doesn't sound like anything that you guys are describing. It was corn with small bits of green and red peppers cut up into it. It's probably a regional thing.
I believe that's going to be your South-Western corn. I make it all the time as a side, but use jalapenos instead of bell pepper.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Anyone from New Jersey will tell you they have the best corn ever.

For once, they are right.

Indeed. When the corn's good (which is more often than not) I don't feel the need to add anything to it.
Photobucket sucks.