Author Topic: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...  (Read 25014 times)

Offline romdrums

This was a fun roulette James! Glad I found some stuff you were digging!

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Good one, Aaron, congratulations!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Congrats Aaron, and a quality roulette James. Enjoy your deep dive into the Jmetal rabbit hole

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
And from here on out, I will update the thread periodically and slowly as I delve into these artists. Right now, the ones that stick out to me immediately are:

Caligula's Horse, especially since they just released an album
VOLA
Riverside
Lonely Robot
By the way, a song I would recommend from Riverside, but couldn't send for the roulette:

Egoist Hedonist:
https://open.spotify.com/track/63cli9FWbPU7zmRaFuiaCw?si=f444b044be1048a5

Made a new playlist for post-roulette recs and discoveries: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1Tz8JuN14OumNa5yeQuump?si=524b801460f2449e

This was a fun roulette James! Glad I found some stuff you were digging!

Congrats to you! Thank you for being here :)

Congrats Aaron, and a quality roulette James. Enjoy your deep dive into the Jmetal rabbit hole

Thanks for two roulettes my friend!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Thanks James, for running this and the kind words for some of the music I sent you.  It was always from the heart, even if it didn't land in the head.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I'm very glad you joined up for this one Staddy!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
James. I hope you got some great new music from us all. I love finding new music through these folks. DTF is the best.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Indeed! And 2024 is the year I hope to see new releases along with yall.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
It's been 3 weeks and I have been exploring some music from this year and a little from the past. Just going to document it and feel free to comment:

Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace: Very dense album, it's been a slow grower for me.
glass beach - plastic death: what a strange and crazy album, but I like it. It feels schizophrenic
Caligula's Horse - Bloom: Honestly, 2 listens max right now, so not too much to form an opinion, but some of the other songs beyond what was sent (Firelight and Turntail) feel much different, maybe not as memorable.
The Pineapple Thief - It Leads to This: I am really loving this album. Maybe my favorite of 2024 so far (not much competition yet, but still). It's got that short and sweet factor that I love about most albums.
Ihsahn - Ihsahn (I think, seems like it's s/t): One listen so far, but I really enjoyed the trip it took me on. I will try to get more listens in before more music is released.

Also, 2 other albums I have listened to from 2024:

Kyros - Mannequin: Splent posted this on facebook and I decided to give it a listen, and yeah, fucking amazing. Probably album #2 for me for this year, it could edge out TPT as well.
Persefone - Lingua Ignota: Part I: This is a decent 5 track album, nothing I will want to revisit often after about 6 listens. Recommended from 5/8 peeps.

VOLA...which album is the most popular? I adore Paper Wolf. Same question for Riverside (though try to keep it from 2015-ish to now).
lonestar - How much like Thrill is the rest of New Beginning album by Band-Maid?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'd rate those 2024 albums as follows...

1. Ihsahn - Ihsahn
2. Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace
3. Persefone - Lingua Ignota: Part I
4. Kyros - Mannequin
5. The Pineapple Thief - It Leads To This

All pretty decent. Ihsahn will likely be a top 20 of the year, and I think Charcoal Grace will continue to grow on me.

For VOLA, I rate Inmazes, Applause of a Distant Crowd and Witness pretty similarly. For me, you can't really go wrong with any of them, so just go chronologically. Riverside, my favourite is Out of Myself but shout out to Love, Fear and the Time Machine as well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
If you're gonna check out a Band Maid album, I'd start with Just Bring It, I think that has their best songwriting. Thrill is probably the heaviest track on its album and was a signal of them going away from the more pop rock sound of the first album.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 05:56:44 PM by lonestar »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...
« Reply #1341 on: February 24, 2024, 05:50:33 PM »
the new glass beach album was fine but nowhere near as good as their debut imo

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1342 on: February 25, 2024, 01:24:21 PM »
For VOLA, I rate Inmazes, Applause of a Distant Crowd and Witness pretty similarly. For me, you can't really go wrong with any of them, so just go chronologically. Riverside, my favourite is Out of Myself but shout out to Love, Fear and the Time Machine as well.

I will take my chance on Applause and Love, Fear.

If you're gonna check out a Band Maid album, I'd start with Just Bring It, I think that has their best songwriting. Thrill is probably the heaviest track on its album and was a signal of them going away from the more pop rock sound of the first album.

I listened to about half of Just Bring It last night before I was heading to bed. It was pretty good. I think you set the bar so high with Thrill that everything else is just okay. I am trying to separate that, but it's hard.

the new glass beach album was fine but nowhere near as good as their debut imo

I should relisten to that song you (or whoever) sent me and see how it holds up now.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1343 on: March 03, 2024, 08:15:43 AM »
Going to keep a running list of 2024 albums in this post.

Currently unranked

The Pineapple Thief - It Leads to This
Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace
Kyros - Mannequin
Persefone - Lingua Ignota: Part 1
glass beach - plastic death
The Smile - Wall of Eyes
Big Big Train - The Likes of Us
Everything Everything - Mountainhead (in queue, not listened yet but interested)
Ihsahn - Ihsahn
Neal Morse - The Restoration - Joseph, Part 2