Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 33066 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »
With season 2 upon us in just about a week, grabbed the special edition boxset they released exclusive to Target.

Neat packaging, made it look like a VHS tape

Not my pics, found it on reddit.

https://imgur.com/a/ZkAuQ

That's is some of the coolest packaging I have ever seen. wow

Offline faizoff

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
Second season is out! Two episodes in and it's great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
Second season is out! Two episodes in and it's great.

Great to hear. I have to wait until tomorrow night. Have a wedding tonight to attend then up early a.m. for a chilly 13k trail run....can’t start tonight as I know I’d stay up too late
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
Just started, and the opening scene of Dragon's Lair already has me neck deep in nostalgia...

Edit- onto ep4 and damn I love this show so much...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:54:47 PM by lonestar »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
I'm at the start of episode 7 at the moment. This season has been fantastic. They set the bar high with season 1, this season might even be better. IMO this is the best Netflix original by a landslide because it's interesting, suspenseful, and still very fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
And it's so well executed. The sets and attention to the 80's noir details are exceptional, I've been paying close attention to the cars and they have all the period cars just right. The story of course is wonderful, just the right mix of suspense, horror, and jocularity. But above all it's the acting, the kids are just outstanding actors across the board. Eleven's scene in ep4 (the one where she first comes across her mom's existence ) is shockingly powerful and emotional.

Love this show so much.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:13:42 PM by lonestar »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2017, 11:22:50 PM »
Finished it. Fantastic! I won't compare or rank which season I prefer just that I truly loved this season just as much as the first one. This show is so much fun to watch and I think apart from relying on the 80s nostalgia setting and the great acting, the best part of the show IMO is the chemistry the cast share with each other. The pairing up of one kid with an adult is done so well, all the kids act great but the adults are excellent too and it's how they gel together makes the show.

Only minor thing was that I thought they sorta wasted or didn't use a potential storyline which I thought would've been great. Though I guess they can always tie it in next season.

I just read that they are renewed for two more seasons and that's it. I think that works.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:05:36 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
Two episodes in so far, and loving it. Nice to see Sean Astin making an appearance too.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
4 episodes in! Im loving this just as much, if not more, than the first season.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »
Two episodes in so far, and loving it. Nice to see Sean Astin making an appearance too.

He was at SF Comic Con and I went to his Q&A, he was so beyond complimentary of the kids, saying they were more professional than most adult actors. He's such a hell of a nice guy.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »

He was at SF Comic Con and I went to his Q&A, he was so beyond complimentary of the kids, saying they were more professional than most adult actors. He's such a hell of a nice guy.

Very cool. He seems like a really genuine guy. Was it a Q&A specifically for the show, or did people get the chance to ask more general questions? It’d be great to hear him speak about his time in LOTR.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »
It's just as good if not better than the first season. I won't spoil anything until more people get a chance to finish the season, but I do have some quick thoughts to share.

Props to all the actors, every character was a thrill to watch and they gave amazing performances. Special shoutout to Billy, Max's stepbrother - he was the red Power Ranger in the Power Ranger film earlier this year and he stole every scene he was in. What an asshole! The embodiment of every 80s meathead stereotype - listens to metal, what-the-fuck hairdo, smokes while bench pressing, 40 second kegstands, I loved to hate to love him. Also a shoutout to Winona Ryder and Sean Astin. I thought they did an amazing job.

I was really happy to see what happened with Steve, Jonathon, and Nancy throughout the season. And all of the kids got plenty of screen time! Max was a cool character, and it was nice to see the kids dealing with every day kid stuff in school. The episode where they got in costume for school had me laughing a lot. Dustin was hilarious this season with that 'check out these pearls' line.

I'm really happy to hear it's renewed for two more seasons. One of the best shows out there!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
This was an amazing season. Every actor was great, but Will was the star. The Red Ranger was, in fact, really incredible and almost made me want to see the Power Rangers movie for him alone. Loved every character's arc, especially Steve.

I've heard complaints about episode 7. I thought it was a good episode, but felt like a different show. Honestly, the entire episode could have been cut and it wouldn't have mattered.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2017, 04:44:01 PM »
The Red Ranger was, in fact, really incredible and almost made me want to see the Power Rangers movie for him alone. Loved every character's arc, especially Steve.

You just answered a question I had. I was trying to figure out where I saw him.

Also, the Andrew Stanton directed episode was fantastic!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »
I thought episode 7 was the weakest of them all but only because it was a story that featured characters both introduced and forgotten in the same episode. But, to the extent of those restraints, those characters were kind of fun. I thought it was good for Eleven to have an episode struggling to find herself, finding outcasts like herself, etc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »
I thought episode 7 was the weakest of them all but only because it was a story that featured characters both introduced and forgotten in the same episode. But, to the extent of those restraints, those characters were kind of fun. I thought it was good for Eleven to have an episode struggling to find herself, finding outcasts like herself, etc.

Yea, it was a good episode. It just wasn't a good part of the season. It felt the season was going, then for episode 7 they just took a huge detour and then came back. It was just odd and overall, unnecessary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline masterthes

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
I imagine that will be some sort of set up for next season. Only gripe I had was who they decided to pair Max with. Dustin is a far better character than Lucas

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm seven episodes in now, and I was thinking the entire time that it felt like an episode for a different show. I agree that it was a very strange place to put that episode. Episodes four, five and six have such a good run, and build up so much momentum, that it feels like we ran into a wall in Episode Seven. I will finish episodes Eight and Nine tonight, so I am eager to find out what happens after all of...that.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline faizoff

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »
Definitely not complaining about ep 7, it was a great episode. I just that storyline was more incorporated into the main storyline rather than feel like a spinoff. But I'm guessing it will be used in some capacity in later seasons.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »

Very cool. He seems like a really genuine guy. Was it a Q&A specifically for the show, or did people get the chance to ask more general questions? It’d be great to hear him speak about his time in LOTR.

It was general questions asked by the audience, but most of them were Stranger Things centric, and one interesting one about a possible pet project of Astin's (he's trying to get the book Number the Stars into a movie)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2017, 06:42:26 AM »
Finished at three thirty this morning.... simply couldn’t stop watching. (7) in a row! Anyway, really good sophomore season. There was a chance they’d never recapture the magic of the first season but they didn’t disappoint.

As has been mentioned, the reason for that is the chemistry these kids have with one another. They don’t have to convince you they’re close friends because they actually are, and they are talented actors to boot.

One of my favorite ‘Call backs’ of the season was in ‘The Spy’ when the soldiers were led into the trap. That whole sequence was taken near directly from ALIENS when the colonial Marines first encounter the aliens in the sub station of the atmospheric processors. From some of the dialogue like ‘stay frosty’, to the motion detector right down ‘Carter Burke’ himself watching it all unfold on CCTV like
He did in ALIENS....it was really well done.

As far as episode 7 it’s undoubtedy intentional ....:not random and it’s most likely there to introduce her ‘sister’.....form a small bond between them so that 008 can return to the story at a later date. If anything, to help Janes Mom see different visions other than the painful ones she’s been reliving.

Can’t wait for the next season

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »
I think it was also to give 11/Jane some real depth to her character. We know where her morality and her loyalties lie now, and when building upon her in the future, they can go from those starting points.

Offline Art

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Binge-watched the whole season with my wife, and it was amazing. For me, as good as the first season.  :tup

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
SPOILERS....

Well, for what it's worth, episodes Eight and Nine totally made up for it. I have no doubt that Eleven's sister and her gang will come back in later seasons, and now that we're acquainted with them, they will be better received and the flow will be much more coherent. But, yeah, the last two episodes were aces and tricked us into believing one thing while doing another (I totally thought Bob would be a spy. Turns out he was a really great dude, and I hated it when he got eaten by the demodogs---even if that lingering shot gave his death away) The last ten minutes of Episode Nine really got me in the feels, which is probably the show's best quailty. Definitely looknig forward to Season Three.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Adami

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2017, 02:12:59 PM »
SPOILERS....

Well, for what it's worth, episodes Eight and Nine totally made up for it. I have no doubt that Eleven's sister and her gang will come back in later seasons, and now that we're acquainted with them, they will be better received and the flow will be much more coherent. But, yeah, the last two episodes were aces and tricked us into believing one thing while doing another (I totally thought Bob would be a spy. Turns out he was a really great dude, and I hated it when he got eaten by the demodogs---even if that lingering shot gave his death away) The last ten minutes of Episode Nine really got me in the feels, which is probably the show's best quailty. Definitely looknig forward to Season Three.

More spoilers...

Yea, I'm thinking they set all that up to guide the way for future seasons. I mean, how many more times can they do a "Will gets held hostage by the Upside Down and everyone has to stop a demogorgon? I think if the Upside Down takes a back seat next season to focus on the 11 thing and the other 10 or more kids would be interesting and new.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
AND MORE SPOILERS, STILL...

The Duffer Brothers (creators of the show) said that there's a reason why Hawkins is being tageted. We saw elements of that before, with the pumpkin patches being rotten and such. But I'm assuming there's much more to be learned in Season Three and we'll be seeing more of the Upside Down and digging into its own mythology. Dustin said something in Episode Eight about the shadow-monster being so old that it doesn't even know its own origin. Maybe Hawkins and its location has something to do with that, and I think that's where the Duffer brothers are gonna go with it in the third season.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Adami

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
I have some questions about the Upside Down, and they're not spoilers if you've at least seen season one.

So.

Whenever they show the upside down, it's basically like a crazy destroyed version of our world. It still has the cars, buildings, streets, etc. from the real world. So how does that work? If someone builds a building in the real world, does it just magically appear in the upside down later? From the upside down's perspective, do the bricks and so forth just fly around and create a house since there are no humans? Am I just overthinking this because I'm a nerd?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
AND MORE SPOILERS, STILL...

Dustin said something in Episode Eight about the shadow-monster being so old that it doesn't even know its own origin.

God, I laughed so hard at that sequence. The total ridiculousness of adults standing around seriously listening to a prepubescent kid site Dungeons and Dragons lore from the Monster Manual about Mind Flayers was just so absurd. Plus, Dustin said something in the vein of, "Hey, it's all there in the manual."  :lol

I have to wonder if that is a dig at the Park City, Utah school board who banned D&D from a math class in the late 1970's (the teacher was using the dice rolls to teach the kids probability curves). There was a semi famous quote from a parent who said they didn't want there kids to have access to a "manual for casting satanic spells" or some such.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
I have some questions about the Upside Down, and they're not spoilers if you've at least seen season one.

So.

Whenever they show the upside down, it's basically like a crazy destroyed version of our world. It still has the cars, buildings, streets, etc. from the real world. So how does that work? If someone builds a building in the real world, does it just magically appear in the upside down later? From the upside down's perspective, do the bricks and so forth just fly around and create a house since there are no humans? Am I just overthinking this because I'm a nerd?

Yes. To everything. You have completely figured out the mechanics. :blob:

Offline faizoff

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »
The more I start to think of this season the more I'm loving it. I think I'll rewatch the first season and head again into season two. It definitely gets the feels going, this show does.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
I enjoyed season two but not as much as the first. Don't get me wrong, the writing and acting were terrific but the 80's culture references were much more fun when they were fresh.

I will say, the writers, directors and show runners are masters of the episode cliff hanger. God damn, it was difficult not to watch just one more. Just one more.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
I think for many, like me, that's what hooked you in the first season. When it came out, there was not much advertising for it. Then the weekend it came out, I thought I'd catch one episode of it to see what the show was about and then it was too late, I'd already watched 5 in a row. I'm sure I remember MP having the same reaction on twitter, his whole family sat down to catch an episode or two and they all marathoned through the entire series at one go.

Netflix have pretty much mastered the art in making shows that really suck you in.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
Mid Thread Opinion Poll

Do I allow my 10 and 11 year old sons to watch Stranger Things? They've never seen it, heard about it...and want to watch it. They've watched some PG-13 movies like Maze Runner, Kong....Tarzan.....things along those lines. They've heard cuss words before so it's not so much the random SOB's and Sh%t and stuff.....it's more the emotional kid gone missing...moms a mess...etc etc. I'm concerned about.

What do the parents of DTF think?    I'm leaning 'yes' and my wife has left it up to me being that she hasn't seen either season.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
I think for many, like me, that's what hooked you in the first season. When it came out, there was not much advertising for it. Then the weekend it came out, I thought I'd catch one episode of it to see what the show was about and then it was too late, I'd already watched 5 in a row. I'm sure I remember MP having the same reaction on twitter, his whole family sat down to catch an episode or two and they all marathoned through the entire series at one go.

Netflix have pretty much mastered the art in making shows that really suck you in.

Thats what happened to me. I just saw it on Netflix and decided to watch it. Before I knew it I was 5-6 episodes in. Then later on, found out it had just premiered that very same day, lucky me.

Still need to watch Season 2. Probably will soonish, but might watch Season 1 again as a refresher
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline faizoff

« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2017, 07:41:10 PM »
Mid Thread Opinion Poll

Do I allow my 10 and 11 year old sons to watch Stranger Things? They've never seen it, heard about it...and want to watch it. They've watched some PG-13 movies like Maze Runner, Kong....Tarzan.....things along those lines. They've heard cuss words before so it's not so much the random SOB's and Sh%t and stuff.....it's more the emotional kid gone missing...moms a mess...etc etc. I'm concerned about.

What do the parents of DTF think?    I'm leaning 'yes' and my wife has left it up to me being that she hasn't seen either season.

It sorta depends on what kind of understanding you think your kids have. The swearing and implied sexuality is pretty mild comparatively. The only thing I'd be worried if it was me is the occasional violence, I mean if you ask me it looks a bit too intense at times, even more than most PG-13 movies I feel. If you think your kids can handle that I think they should be ok. There really isn't much violence throughout but those couple of times there is, it can be a bit jarring IMO. My kid is just 3 so there's still some time for me to think about those things  :biggrin: