Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 33087 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 07:39:35 PM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2016, 01:19:19 AM »
I feel like water plays a big part.

[SPOILARZ]

The inter-dimensional rip originated in a giant sensory deprivation tank, the monster first shows up in the rain, Barb drops her blood/gets taken at the pool, then The Upside Down flickers into existence when Will goes to wash his hands. The camera actually focuses on the water in the sink, leading me to believe it's important.

Also, my thoughts after finishing the series. Again, spoilers.

There's no doubt in my mind that El is alive, but that raises some questions for me. If Hopper is the only one who knows this, he must be in connection with someone at the Hawkins Lab - surely as a result of the deal he made (dammit, Lando). Given where he left the food, I feel like El is alive in another dimension. Maybe not The Upside Down, but another dimension at least.

My mind is reeling about Will right now. He coughed up an over-sized Khan worm, saw a flicker of The Upside Down, then sat down to Christmas dinner like nothing happened. I feel like there's a "parasite controlling the host" kind of thing going on, especially since no one else noticed the inter-dimensional flicker.

[END SPOILARZ]

Hopper might be my favorite TV character ever. Also, he sounds like Harrison Ford.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 07:26:36 AM »
I feel like water plays a big part.

[SPOILARZ]

The inter-dimensional rip originated in a giant sensory deprivation tank, the monster first shows up in the rain, Barb drops her blood/gets taken at the pool, then The Upside Down flickers into existence when Will goes to wash his hands. The camera actually focuses on the water in the sink, leading me to believe it's important.

Also, my thoughts after finishing the series. Again, spoilers.

There's no doubt in my mind that El is alive, but that raises some questions for me. If Hopper is the only one who knows this, he must be in connection with someone at the Hawkins Lab - surely as a result of the deal he made (dammit, Lando). Given where he left the food, I feel like El is alive in another dimension. Maybe not The Upside Down, but another dimension at least.

My mind is reeling about Will right now. He coughed up an over-sized Khan worm, saw a flicker of The Upside Down, then sat down to Christmas dinner like nothing happened. I feel like there's a "parasite controlling the host" kind of thing going on, especially since no one else noticed the inter-dimensional flicker.

[END SPOILARZ]

Hopper might be my favorite TV character ever. Also, he sounds like Harrison Ford.

Good point about Will....that was a bit odd. I mean, he may not be saying anything due to him being scared of having it all happen again, but he did act odd. The water angle is interesting also because you're dead on there. And, I said the same thing about Hopper to my brother, he's a very cool character. Not sure what's going on with Elle but it's no coincidence that Hopper left Eggo's out there....she's still alive but as you mentioned "where"?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
Yea he's great, i'm actually thinking along the lines of if they ever do a Jack Nicholson biopic, he seems like the perfect pick.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 06:59:19 AM »
Mrs P and I binge-watched the whole season last weekend and loved it! The 80's nostalgia gave the terrific acting a nice twist. We weren't as enamored with Ryder's performance as the rest of you (and the articles linked here) but generally are on the same page with the rest of the cast.We thought the plot and pacing were superb.

Put us in with the group that think a sequel isn't a good idea. We'd watch it if they made one, but with extremely low expectations.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 01:34:14 AM »
I enjoyed the first 4 episodes much than the latter 4.   I think this was because by the end of episode 4 the mystery is pretty much solved then you have 3 episodes of the various character groups being idiots before finally coming together for the finale - which was a decent enough finale, if a tad predictable.

Has there ever been a worst walking/talking exposition character than the kids science teacher?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »
I just binged the whole show and wow.

Its like Firestarter meets E.T. meets Goonies meets Half-life and it all comes together so beautifully. I loved it.

I can't believe Nancy went with steve in the end, WTF?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:44:12 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »
Why not? Steve was setup for the jerk jock type trope but he ended up being just a good regular guy so it fits that she ended up with him. He never did anything wrong to deserve being thrown to the curb and ended up sticking up for her in the end.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »
Why not? Steve was setup for the jerk jock type trope but he ended up being just a good regular guy so it fits that she ended up with him. He never did anything wrong to deserve being thrown to the curb and ended up sticking up for her in the end.

Yeah, I was surprised at first but he did feel bad about the way she was treated by his friends to the tune of cleaning the sign, and then he went to apologize to Will's brother without knowing she was there....and ended up being the only reason she lived. Had he not came back in that 'monster' would have killed them for sure.

it was a good thing they ended up together.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
Such a fucking amazing show. It's like Explorers meets Alien meets ET meets Firestarter meets Goonies meets Flight of the Navigator meets Friday the 13th. Like every 80s movie we grew up with is all in one place. And they NAILED it. Season 2 needs to come out yesterday.

The MUSIC of this show. SO GOOD. I love those analog synths. Whoever created it must binge on Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre.

Dustin is my favorite character. I was one of those kids. I was probably most like Will, since I was a little quirky and socially awkward, but a good natured kid, and was often bullied. I HATED those two bullies... I wish I had an Eleven there to psychokinetically break their arm or piss their pants.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
Such a fucking amazing show. It's like Explorers meets Alien meets ET meets Firestarter meets Goonies meets Flight of the Navigator meets Friday the 13th. Like every 80s movie we grew up with is all in one place. And they NAILED it. Season 2 needs to come out yesterday.

The MUSIC of this show. SO GOOD. I love those analog synths. Whoever created it must binge on Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre.

Dustin is my favorite character. I was one of those kids. I was probably most like Will, since I was a little quirky and socially awkward, but a good natured kid, and was often bullied. I HATED those two bullies... I wish I had an Eleven there to psychokinetically break their arm or piss their pants.

yeah....the bullies brought back some memories....and not in a good way. Elementary school kids are just dicks...there's no getting around it. My wife still gets teary eyed to this day when in conversation I mention again that I spent the majority of my elementary school days hiding inside tires....the ones that were buried half in and out of the ground (anyone else have those?) ....and making my way into the creek that ran along side the school to get away from the other kids. I was an easy target...awkward....short...like REAL short....and from a real low income family. Anyway....Elle would have been nice to have around  :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2016, 08:15:59 AM »
I've been meaning to check this show out, I'll do it tonight then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »
I've been meaning to check this show out, I'll do it tonight then.

If your a fan of Goonies, ET, Stand by Me, Firestarter, Poltergeist....ANY of those classic 80's movies then you should dig this show a lot.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »
I heard about this few days ago but was skeptical because I generally don't like/hate most media focused around children as main characters, but boredom won last night and I binged 7 episodes. Damn, that show is fucking good.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
It was great! I was totally digging the 80's vibe, and 8 episodes was the perfect length.

I know there's a lot of junk on Netflix, but one of the good things about it is that it gives shows like this a chance. This may not have seen the light of day on a regular TV broadcast network.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 12:27:30 AM »
Very good point, this would've been buried and ruined on network television. Either that or it would've been twice as long with ten times the filler and a romantic element that was twice as large.

Throw in a few other hijinks that would've royally fucked it up.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 07:56:03 AM »
Pretty interesting and plausible 'fan' theory about Eleven and the 'Monster'..

https://uproxx.com/tv/is-eleven-the-monster-stranger-things-theory-spoilers/

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »
Pretty interesting and plausible 'fan' theory about Eleven and the 'Monster'..

https://uproxx.com/tv/is-eleven-the-monster-stranger-things-theory-spoilers/

Cool. Seems pretty plausible, however, why would the Monster have captured Will in the first place? If the Monster is the physical manifestation of Eleven's inner turmoil, why would she/it go after Will, who she wouldn't even know, and wouldn't have had any issue with?  ???

(BTW - the title generator linked to on that site is pretty cool: https://makeitstranger.com/hello-dtf:biggrin:

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2016, 04:50:32 AM »
Goddamn I loved this series. It was incredible. Eleven is just baddass and a really good actress.

It had a perfect feel to it all the way through. This even rivals Orange is the New Black (even though they are nothing alike) as my favourite Netflix series.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
Just finished this last night. Was surprised how much I liked it, considering I normally don't dig that kind of scifi/supernatural thing. However, the writing was excellent, as was the acting.

Favorite characters were Dustin (hilarious kid), Hopper and El.

The choice of music throughout couldn't have been more perfect.

Well done. :tup :tup

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2016, 07:36:14 PM »
I have watched the first two episodes only so not reading most of the thread... I'm digging it so far but I'm a bit tired of the whole eighties thing.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2016, 10:55:46 PM »
Keep watching. You ain't seen nothing yet.  :biggrin:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2016, 10:03:48 AM »
Yeah, it gets much better. I've got one left but won't be able to watch til tomorrow or Thurs.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »
Just saw on a video on their facebook, Season 2 coming 2017. Interesting to say the least.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »

yeah....the bullies brought back some memories....and not in a good way. Elementary school kids are just dicks...there's no getting around it. My wife still gets teary eyed to this day when in conversation I mention again that I spent the majority of my elementary school days hiding inside tires....the ones that were buried half in and out of the ground (anyone else have those?) ....and making my way into the creek that ran along side the school to get away from the other kids. I was an easy target...awkward....short...like REAL short....and from a real low income family. Anyway....Elle would have been nice to have around  :tup

I hear you about the bullies in grade school.  I was fat and shy, so I was an easy target.  Off topic a bit, but if you get a chance listen to a song from Beardfish on the cd Comfort Zone called 'Can you see me now'.  I really hated to hear that Beardfish broke up.  They were a bit 'out there', but had some great songs.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2016, 02:35:07 AM »
Only saw the first two episodes and I'm already hooked. Very well done tribute.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »
Turns out Millie Bobby Brown is British?

I had no idea. Mind blown.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
Yeah I just saw that too. Kind of wished they kept it, she would be even more badass with it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
Finished this last week, and yeah it was great. I wasn't really sold on it after the first episode, but after the second and going into the third I was stuck. The mom was really annoying though. Usually when a character is right and no one believes them you think everyone else is annoying, but this time she seemed to be doing everything in her power to make people think she was crazy.

I also really liked that Nancy got together with Steve and not Jonathan at the end, that was an unexpected surprise. I always liked Steve, and hoped throughout that they wouldn't just turn him into a complete ass just to give way for Jonathan. Steve never actually felt like an asshole, so I'm glad they followed through with that character development.

Monster was a bit wonky, but for the most part it worked, and all the kids were fantastic. Looking forward to season 2.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »
This was pretty neat. Looks like these kiddos are pretty close and have fun

https://www.google.com/amp/consequenceofsound.net/2016/09/millie-bobby-brown-a-k-a-eleven-perfectly-raps-nicki-minajs-monster/amp/

Jimmy- Can you read?

Kid- Can you host?

F'in ouch man.... burned by an eleven year old....

Btw, totally forgot to post this here, saw this kid at SF Comic Con, just a brilliant cosplay...

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
Okay, so I didn't know they were doing a second season until the teaser during the Super Bowl. I'm firmly in the camp that this should have been a one off series...but, yeah, I'll probably watch it anyway.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »
Okay, so I didn't know they were doing a second season until the teaser during the Super Bowl. I'm firmly in the camp that this should have been a one off series...but, yeah, I'll probably watch it anyway.

The brothers that wrote it originally had wanted to do a movie but ended up with a lot of content so they've always had an idea for a couple seasons....I can't remember specifically how many, I want to say (4) but I can't remember.....I think it's the whole 'over 40' thing where after about six minutes I forget stuff. But I do remember that they and Netflix always knew and planned for additional seasons.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »
Super excited for this. Definitely wanted only one season originally but if they have actual story and not "on the fly" BS they wrote when it blew up in popularity, I'm all for it. The world is awesome, there's definitely at least a few storylines that can be followed, and while I hope they don't just milk this, the characters are so lovable that I can't help but want to see more of them together. Can't wait to see what they come up with and I hope it is at least as good as S1.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »
With season 2 upon us in just about a week, grabbed the special edition boxset they released exclusive to Target.

Neat packaging, made it look like a VHS tape

Not my pics, found it on reddit.

https://imgur.com/a/ZkAuQ
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan