Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 33372 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
IT'S ALMOST HERE!  :panicattack:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2019, 05:33:05 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2019, 08:05:01 AM »
I am ready.

:corn
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2019, 08:22:24 AM »
I am so hyped  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
That trailer it's PERFECT!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2019, 06:32:53 AM »
You don't remember any single thing that happened in the past two seasons? don't worry, the kids from the cast take a break from hitting puberty to explain it to you in 15 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbWqiUy0YM
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
IT'S BACK :dangerwillrobinson:

And it hasn't skipped a beat man...this show has a firm grasp of it's core feel, and it just doesn't let go.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »
I'm a bit behind because I was suppose to be done with my rewatch by now but I have pretty much the whole season two left so i'll start the new season as soon as possible. I'm excited though!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline masterthes

« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »
The ending angered me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:10:53 AM by masterthes »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2019, 09:28:35 PM »
I am ready.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »
Finished it up with the boys today. While I’ll agree with RJ’s sentiment that they have a firm grasp on their ‘core feel’.....they certainly do.....I personally felt like the this season was ‘ok’. It wasn’t bad or a let down per say but it just didn’t floor me. And I suppose I’m still holding it to S1 standards and that isn’t fair.

The story to me was ‘alright’....wasn’t bad but wasn’t overly creative either. All in all I’m satisfied with the season....it was entertaining and all....but I guess the ‘shine’ of the franchise has worn off a bit for me.

And......not to turn this into a P/R thread or go off on a tangent but the inference of lesbianism with the high school chic felt forced to me. There’d have been no issue with those two actually ‘getting together’ and allowing Steve to ‘find’ someone.....but I feel like the show took that storyline to satisfy the obligatory LGBT ‘shout out’ that nearly every show these days seems to need to do.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
The Neverending Story scene....I'm fucking crying I laughed so hard.

Now for the finale...

And finished....damn what an awesome ending, definitely a few manly tears were shed. Overall the season was a very, very slight step down, but the show holds court on top of most others. I think the one thing missing was a certain magical element. In S1 we had the xmas lights, in S2 we had the map all over the house. That item wasn't quite there. Curious to see where they go from here, but damn do I just love what they do all over. The scene of Eleven reading the letter was crushing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:17:16 AM by lonestar »

Online faizoff

« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2019, 12:04:14 PM »
I powered through it last night, what a ride.

For me the show has always excelled in character interaction and this season was no exception, the story is also simple and straight enough to keep it entertaining throughout. I'm not sure I should be embarrassed or proud that I knew more than 95% of the songs used throughout the season.

I had fun watching the entire way and I think this season was a little stronger than season 2. Even though I would rate all seasons a 9/10 but in the end the ranking would be season 1, then 3 and 2.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
5 episodes into season 3

Reminds me how much it sucked having to sneak around trying make out and fool around as a teenager  :lol

Besides that, Season 3 is pretty damn good so far.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 05:42:01 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »
Just finished episode 1. Nancy's mom has got it going on. YOWZA.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2019, 08:05:08 AM »
The first two episodes kind of felt like a (well executed) sitcom at times. But it was nice, the characters are great and their chemistry is well done. But episode 3 onwards is where the excitement kicked in for me. How all the plotlines escalate into the final act is really well done and suspenseful. Some parts reminded me of Jurassic Park, actually. The ending had a surprising emotional weight to it, it definitely got to me. I think season 3 is quite a bit better than season 2, but season 1 remains my favourite.

The first season offcourse has the advantage because as a viewer you are totally in the unknown and the mystery is more intriguing. But as sequels, they did both seasons 2 and 3 right. The focus on the characters is paying off. Instead of thinking up some new story where the old cast magically is involved in (what happens a lot in sequels), all situations are further escalations as a result of the events before. And how the characters are growing up feels on point as well, these children are really doing a great job and their chemistry is fantastic. Especially the actress of El pulls of some amazing scenes.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »

And......not to turn this into a P/R thread or go off on a tangent but the inference of lesbianism with the high school chic felt forced to me. There’d have been no issue with those two actually ‘getting together’ and allowing Steve to ‘find’ someone.....but I feel like the show took that storyline to satisfy the obligatory LGBT ‘shout out’ that nearly every show these days seems to need to do.

I think it's more they're purposefully waiting until the last season to give him some one special. I wonder if this will mean they're NOT making Will gay?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 07, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »

I think it's more they're purposefully waiting until the last season to give him some one special. I wonder if this will mean they're NOT making Will gay?

Maybe they’re waiting for the right person for Steve. My point is I think that any scenario of gay/lesbianism in this show feels forced and like it’s just there as a shout out. Especially with the younger characters. If it were the science teacher or even one of the Dads that’d be more realistic than them forcing it into one of these kids characters. Doesn’t fit at all and it feels like they’re just playing the PC appeasement card honestly.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: July 07, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
Just finished it. WOW!

Got choked up on that final episode during the last few sentences of the letter. Also, there's a post-credits scene, which I have a question about: The Russian guard says, "No, not the American" before taking the Russian prisoner to the Demogorgon. Clearly that line means something. Which American is it? Is it Murray? I don't remember seeing him after the US military finds him and Joyce.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #229 on: July 07, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »

Maybe they’re waiting for the right person for Steve. My point is I think that any scenario of gay/lesbianism in this show feels forced and like it’s just there as a shout out. Especially with the younger characters. If it were the science teacher or even one of the Dads that’d be more realistic than them forcing it into one of these kids characters. Doesn’t fit at all and it feels like they’re just playing the PC appeasement card honestly.

SPOILERS.

I get that in the current climate of politics it feels forced, especially since studios love to advertise with "this character is gay!!!". But honestly, depending on the studies, around 1/20 to even 1/10 people are estimated to have gay feelings. I come from a country where acceptance has been relatively high, thus it is more common to express it, and it is common to meet gay teens. One of my best friends actually came out of the closet around the age these characters are in, and he already knew he was gay well before that. And unlike many stereotypes, my friend was dating women like a madman back in the day. Actually thought he was joking when he came out. So I personally liked seeing a character that wasn't all like "hey, look at me I'm gay!!" but more like "oh, I'm sorry but I am just not into guys as a response to flirting". That is how it happens in real life. As for the situation in this show, I actually know of people who have been in a similar situation as Steve was here in the past. So from my life experience, this did not feel forced.

Furthermore, in terms of writing, it means keeping them as a platonic duo, and their chemistry that way is great I think

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #230 on: July 07, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »
Just finished Season 3 and I loved it  :heart

I was feeling a little bit of franchise fatigue after finishing season 2 and honestly wasn't really all that excited for Season 3, but man did they win me back. This season was deep and powerful, even had me tearing up in parts. Really incredible stuff and now I'm looking forward to more if or when it comes.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #231 on: July 07, 2019, 02:26:53 PM »
3 episodes in, but I’m really enjoying it so far.

Mrs Wheeler! :o

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: July 07, 2019, 10:08:42 PM »
The Russian guard says, "No, not the American" before taking the Russian prisoner to the Demogorgon. Clearly that line means something. Which American is it? Is it Murray? I don't remember seeing him after the US military finds him and Joyce.

I think it’s Hopper. I don’t see any way that they’ve actually killed him off. He’s too popular of a character and integral to the show.  somehow he survived or escaped.....I had initially thought maybe he got thrown back inside the upside down and that’d be a storyline for next season.....they have to enter to save him.....but I don’t see that they’ve actually killed his character off.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2019, 11:34:07 PM »
Chris Stuckmann and a lot of other reviews have said the same thing.

I don't follow why they would kill him off unless David Harbour was requesting to leave the show like Michael McKean in Better Call Saul.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: July 08, 2019, 06:29:20 AM »
I mean he got caught in an explosion that showed the bodies of Russians literally blowing apart. I like Hopper but if he did live through that he better really be messed up otherwise that's some super tv shenanigans

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
I mean he got caught in an explosion that showed the bodies of Russians literally blowing apart. I like Hopper but if he did live through that he better really be messed up otherwise that's some super tv shenanigans

They showed the Russians on the control room side of the electro barrier get blown up. It’s not out of the question to think the very thing that kept him from being able to get back to safety also allowed him to live.

How he was ‘lost’ and not found by the Americans but found by the Russians is another story.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #236 on: July 08, 2019, 08:08:03 AM »

They showed the Russians on the control room side of the electro barrier get blown up. It’s not out of the question to think the very thing that kept him from being able to get back to safety also allowed him to live.

How he was ‘lost’ and not found by the Americans but found by the Russians is another story.

Oh, is that what they meant by "The American"?

Wow, I didn't even pick up on that. The Russians disappeared out of that base real quick.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2019, 06:08:58 AM »
I was on ep 3 of the new season the other day. My grandson who's here for the summer from Pittsburgh caught glimpses and now is binge watching from season 1 beggining.  I told him to hurry up and catch up  :lol

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »

Oh, is that what they meant by "The American"?

Wow, I didn't even pick up on that. The Russians disappeared out of that base real quick.
A part of me wonders if he jumped into the portal to "save" himself?  :laugh:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2019, 02:23:59 PM »
We finished watching on Sunday. I was a bit underwhelmed until I really thought back through the season. I think my initial viewing was colored by the fact that I'd just finished with season 2 of Dark on Netflix.

In retrospect:
The Great
- Steve, Robin, Erica, Dustin and when they were together engaging with just each other El and Max.
- Dr. Alexei and Woody Woodpecker
- Suzie the Mormon
- "There's no America, without Erica"
- The Neverending Story bit
- The Hospital attack
- The Sauna test

The Good
- Starcourt Mall
- The Russian wannabe Arnold (The volume of his footsteps was hilarious)
- The "Living in Stereo" music when Billy came strutting out
- Cary Elwes as Mayor Larry Kline
- Nancy's arch
-El reading Hop's speech

The Meh
- The first two episodes
- The Mind Flayer story
- Hopper's parenting
- The ending of the threat

The Annoying
- Any scene with Hop and Joyce constantly sniping and bitching at each other.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2019, 11:22:32 PM »
 The Russian at the last scene, the one that says Not the American, it’s the same Russian that Bold Eagle makes a joke with when they (Joyce, Hop and the good Russian) are about to go through the door where the bottles with the green substance is.

Given that he is the same Russian I am inclined to believe that the Russians escaped through the portal, as it was impossible for them to just “disappear “ from that facility. And knowing they have demodogs as pets it wouldn’t be mad to think they walked through the portal to the other side.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2019, 07:24:51 AM »
The Meh
- The first two episodes
- The Mind Flayer story
- Hopper's parenting
- The ending of the threat

The Annoying
- Any scene with Hop and Joyce constantly sniping and bitching at each other.

There's nothing that bugs me more than when a series that has limited episodes....like this season being only (8)......spends two of them basically doing nothing, which is what happened in this season. Sure, there were things that happened and 'set up' stuff.....but it was nowhere near done in a way that was compelling. It was 'ho hum'.....and to me the first two episodes were just wasted time and what they accomplished could have been accomplished in one episode.

And the rest of these points I agree with 100%....which put this season in a tough position to battle back so to speak. It made a good effort and the season as a whole was entertaining....but as I said in my initial assessment....for me the shine and 'lore' of the show is gone....and it seems to be getting in its own way now.

I know a ton of people love this season and that is awesome....glad it worked for you guys. But for me it fell short a bit and is now just 'another' show I watch....nothing entirely special.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »
What episodes did 'nothing' happen? That's curious...

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
What episodes did 'nothing' happen? That's curious...

First two episodes were pretty boring. Outside of Billy being abducted by the mind flayer thing.....for me....they weren't very interesting. Very predictable and boring. But like I said....I get people have dug this season. My kids, my brother.....all really dug this season. I just thought it was pretty predictable and didn't have that 'spark' that S1 had. It was better than S2 IMO which is a good thing....but it's not in this 'elite' level that it once was in my eyes. It's just another enjoyable show to me now. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »
Interesting. The first episode or two is supposed to set up the season. I believe in those first two episodes we saw Mike and Eleven's relationship advance, we saw Hopper grow into the overprotective dad role and his chemistry with Joyce developed, we saw the newly constructed Starcourt Mall where Steve's got a new job and we meet Robin. Then we see Billy get dragged into the Upside Down and struggle with that and Dustin and Steve start to uncover the whole secret Russian base and operation within the mall. I didn't see much predictability in there other than your usual 'start of season' stuff to set up the rest. (Not at all saying you're wrong for your opinions, just having fun discussing it.)