Author Topic: Battlebots  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Battlebots
« on: July 14, 2016, 06:43:59 AM »
Anyone watching the second season of the reboot?

I used to watch this religiously as a kid, and my girlfriend and I make it a point to watch the new version every week. I think it's better than ever. They've made it a little more like wrestling this time around (team themes, theme songs, signature poses, etc..), but the corniness it delivers is hugely satisfying at times. The destruction is better than ever. Since the original Battlebots, electric motors and LiPo batteries have come a long way. These machines are vicious and are inflicting damage that I wouldn't have dreamed of ten years ago.

Anyway, I'm rooting for Red Devil. I've been following that bot since it was still in the CAD stages and watched it come to life on social media. It's the most over engineered robot I've ever seen, but it's a beauty. It took down fan favorite Witch Doctor last week in epic fashion (sawd right through their batteries).

First it clamped down (independent left and right jaws allow for it to grab an uneven surface).

Left it in a pool of its own battery acid

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Battlebots
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
I've been watching it. Red Devil kicked ass in that battle. It will be interesting to see how it does in another fight, because robots with too many parts to control tend to be cumbersome in practice, but so far so good.

Whenever I see an over-engineered robot that's all flash, like anything with flames or a secondary vehicle, I always hope it gets its ass kicked. So I was thrilled to see Witch Doctor get fittingly slaughtered in that one! :lol

Whatever battle it was where the quad got destroyed was sweet too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 06:57:46 AM »
I've been watching it. Red Devil kicked ass in that battle. It will be interesting to see how it does in another fight, because robots with too many parts to control tend to be cumbersome in practice, but so far so good.

Whenever I see an over-engineered robot that's all flash, like anything with flames or a secondary vehicle, I always hope it gets its ass kicked. So I was thrilled to see Witch Doctor get fittingly slaughtered in that one! :lol

Whatever battle it was where the quad got destroyed was sweet too.

Red Devil is most likely fucked if he get's paired with a bot like Tombstone or Son of Whyachi. At least he could grab Tombstone from the back, SOW will be hitting him with full force no matter what point of entry he chooses.

Oh yeah, that piece of shit Chromefly. Fuck that kid. He received $3M in start up money for his drone company, and built a shit robot to shamelessly promote it. I'm glad he got schooled. I'm all for drone combat, but it's just not there yet. I don't see them actually inflicting damage any time soon. If anything, I think they'll be utilized for things like image tracking and helping the ground bot land blows/stay locked on target.

My other favorite right now is Minotaur. I love that bot. Short and stout, tons of armor and power. Blacksmith was significantly larger than him and he still controlled the entire match. The driver seems like a great guy too. When asked about the match after his victory, the first words out of his mouth were compliments for the other team and bot he just took down. Real humble guy. I hope he goes far.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 07:07:50 AM »
Minotaur is one of my favourites too.
I skip past all of the theatrics bullshit in the episodes to get right to the fights, I don't even watch the bit about the teams, but 9/10 times you can choose the winner just from looking at the design of the robots as they sit there before the battle. Minotaur is one of those robots you know will do well, just a very simple design, executed well. The little front ramps seemed to hinder it as much as it helped in its last fight, but they maneuvered it so well.
A lot of the spinners are really poor designs, bad weight distribution, or overengineered designs that don't work well in practice against other bots, bad armour, but Minotaur is exactly what it needs to be in a small, solid package, not a thing more.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »
I've come to like the theatrical stuff. It's super cheezy.

Minotaur is solid. Despite it's size, I bet it's pretty heavy (Bb's website doesn't list weight under the stats).
Look at its walls. I'm not sure what material it is, but if it's iron, I bet that thing weighs close to 200lbs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 07:30:19 AM »
I can't be bothered looking at what the weight limit is, but if it's close to max weight at that smaller size, it would be pretty dense relative to many of the other bots. That top plate looks quite thick.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 07:40:23 AM »
I can't be bothered looking at what the weight limit is, but if it's close to max weight at that smaller size, it would be pretty dense relative to many of the other bots. That top plate looks quite thick.

250lbs is the weight maximum, with a drone being limited to only 10lbs. Other types of partner bots have no weight limits as long as the combined total doesn't exceed 250lbs.

I think its density is its biggest advantage. It's small size makes it a harder target to hit, and if an opponent does manage to land a blow, the robot can take it no problem because it's armor is incredibly thick. That hammer of Blacksmith seemed to do absolutely nothing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »
I keep forgetting about this show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:11:34 PM »
I keep forgetting about this show.

It's all on Hulu

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 05:54:27 AM »
Just FYI

Season 3 premiers tonight on Discovery

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 06:24:38 AM »
Just FYI

Awesome!!! Thanks for the heads up.  :tup  This is one of the shows the boys and I love watching together.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:17 AM »
Just FYI

Awesome!!! Thanks for the heads up.  :tup  This is one of the shows the boys and I love watching together.

This season is shaping up to be really awesome. Looks like it might be the best one yet by far.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 07:17:05 AM »
I don't watch, but I know the guy that owns Tombstone, and I've seen a couple of versions of it in person (he brings it every year to a Boy Scout event for our troop).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »
I don't watch, but I know the guy that owns Tombstone, and I've seen a couple of versions of it in person (he brings it every year to a Boy Scout event for our troop).

Is Ray cool in real life? Whenever he posts on Reddit or talks on camera, he seems like a good dude, but whenever they edit his presence on the show, they make him look like a dick (the villain)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »

Is Ray cool in real life? Whenever he posts on Reddit or talks on camera, he seems like a good dude, but whenever they edit his presence on the show, they make him look like a dick (the villain)

Yeah, he really is.  I always see him in connection with that scout event, and he is interacting with kids and parents.  It's an event for our Boy Scout Troop, but one where we invite cub scouts, and siblings come as well.  To make a long story short, we have a huge indoor sports complex in our town that has batting cages, an indoor soccer field, basketball and volleyball courts, and lots of other cool stuff.  The guy who built it was big into scouting, and when he deeded it to the city, one of the conditions was that our Boy Scout troop gets it for free one night a year, and get the run of the place.  So we have an annual event where we invite all the cub scout packs and have a pizza and sports night, and have cool guests come in.  So keep in mind that we have kids there that range in age from 9 to 18.  Anyhow, he has come the last few years.  He does a little presentation and then just hangs out and answers questions, and let's people come up and look at and touch Tombstone, and whatever other parts and prototypes he brings in.  I am always impressed watching him interact with the kids and parents, because he is very patient, and thorough, and always seems to have them smiling and laughing.  Even the questions that are just silly, or that you know he has answered a million times, get answered in his very patient and detailed manner.  So, yeah, from my interaction with him, he seems like a really cool dude.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 05:55:29 AM »
Anyone catch the first episode?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
Anyone catch the first episode?

not yet. We recorded it but haven't had the chance to watch it. With the days getting longer the kiddos aren't getting inside until later...then it's the 'end of the night' routine which leaves little TV time. I suspect we'll binge a few episodes as they backlog.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind