Which team are you a member of?

Team Instinct (Yellow)
8 (25.8%)
Team Mystic (Blue)
17 (54.8%)
Team Valor (Red)
6 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Pokemon Go  (Read 9507 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »
Hey guys, I haven't played this game and not really planning to, but I wonder how long these guys have been working on mapping everything, with all the memorials and stuff.

A friend of mine showed me that one of the hotspots (or whatever you call them) was "Amsteldorp Memorial" along with a picture of it. The pic must be atleast 5 years old since it has been taken down five years ago. Have they actually taken years and years going through google maps for the entire world and saving pics of different kinds of buildings and memorials?

The developer of Pokemon Go previously made another AR game called Ingress. All of the landmarks in Pokemon Go just use the same database as Ingress, so that might be why it isn't up to date.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »
Not sure why there is a gym and 7 pokestops in a cemetery not too far from me? Just doesn't seem appropriate.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2016, 08:02:29 AM »
I'm willing to bet they were all generated my some program looking at points of interest using Google's data. I seriously doubt they had human eyes looking at the list to exclude cemeteries and the Holocaust museum unfortunately.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »
This game really brought out the stupid people. I don't know the details, but apparently a girl walked out into traffic to catch a Pokemon, and people are trespassing, and falling off cliffs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
I'm willing to bet they were all generated my some program looking at points of interest using Google's data. I seriously doubt they had human eyes looking at the list to exclude cemeteries and the Holocaust museum unfortunately.

Exactly. It's why the arroyos I live by, in the game, say it has water when it's bone dry.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 425

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
I had never played Pokemon anything before this (and I'm of the right age to have been a fan, just never got into it when I was a kid). But I downloaded this the other day and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Not sure how much I care about leveling up and gyms and things (beyond just my natural competitiveness), but it's a lot of fun walking around and catching all these little creatures. Even though I like getting powerful ones and building up their CP, I'll admit to liking the cute ones best—my favorite catch hasn't been any of the most powerful ones I have, it's the little 13 CP Bulbasaur I found earlier today.

Oh, and I'm Team Mystic.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »
That's what's up. And that's how it should be played. I'm doing the same thing, trying to evolve my Jigglypuff
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2016, 01:36:52 AM »
Actually, I read somewhere that they used the point of interests from their previous game Ingress. And as far as I understand it, in that game the users themselves submitted the locations. So as with every stupid accident out there, blame stupid users. :P

Also, on my way to work today, I caught four new Pokemans and therefore has filled up my Pokledex with 50 creatures. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2016, 05:11:19 AM »
Can't wait for The Astonishing Go!

:neverusethis:

A wild Nafaryus appears (type bug)!
Gabriel used music.
It's super effective!
 :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:17:18 AM by Nefarius »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2016, 07:58:06 AM »
Playing for team Rogers, Bell or Tellus. Or essentially data monopolies in Canada. Which really means I won't be playing. As Canadians pay more for data than most people on the planet.

Enjoy your game.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »
You realize that's because the overhead for companies to provide us with service is much higher than most countries, right?

We are a country nearly the size of Europe with 30 million people in it. Providing 1 square kilometer of area with cell service costs the same as it does in the US, but will earn less money.

If you don't like it go back in time and lose the Cold War.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2016, 12:22:45 PM »
 :lol :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
Had a fun time out this morning, up to level four.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »
 :lol :metal :heart

RIP DTP.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
I doubt anyone here is that incapable of following instructions and knowing where and when to play.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »
I hope not. I hold the DTF denizens to a higher standard than the rest of the internet.  :heart

Also, this game draws all sorts of dipshits, sadly. Gives a bad name to Pokemon without having anything to do with it. Sheer, dipshit fools is what it is.

I mean really, even doing anything on your phone (barring emergencies) is dangerous enough while driving. Playing a game that requires your constant attention (and one hand) is tantamount to driving with your eyes closed and praying for some shit to happen.

The game actually rewards you for playing in fielded, safe areas; it highlights park areas for you on the map (darker grass) and has more Pokemon in areas that the map labels "parks". Niantic all but spells out (again, even in the warning on the loading screen) that you should play the game in safe areas. I really don't play this game all that much and I've got a bunch of levels under my belt and a shit ton of 'mons just by going to popular areas and parks around my area. You just have to play smart (which I realize is asking a universal fuck ton from some people). Even if you're addicted to the game and it wasn't insanely dangerous to play and drive, it is literally the worst possible way to play the game speaking from an in-game standpoint. It's meant to be played on leisurely walks. It actually hurts you (again, in game) to play while driving (even if you're the passenger) because the system of tracking your steps doesn't monitor properly, you can't explore properly and you'll miss most Pokestops and Gyms.

Even around my mostly residential area, I'll see fuckwads driving reaaaallly slow with their hazards on and stop every now and then and see their bright ass screen in front of their face. Morons.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2016, 05:17:11 PM »
My phone vibrates when a Pokemon shows up so I'm not really walking around staring at my phone. I'm not missing something am I?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2016, 09:25:24 AM »
That's my thought as well. You don't even need to be staring down at your phone the whole time, unless you're catching a Pokemon. But in that case, why don't you just stop for a second while you're throwing the balls anyway? It's not like it's recording your walking during that anyway.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »
Eh, it depends. If you're actively looking for Pokemon (especially rarer ones), you kind of do. The spots of grass that go "poof" around the map don't have any indications other than visual and that's what indicates that there might be a Pokemon nearby that might not even be on the "nearby" locator (which also don't have any indicators besides visual). It only vibrates when the Pokemon are available for live capture on the map. Pokemon will obviously pop up when you get close enough but you'll need to be looking for it and tracking it unless you're just going off of sheer luck. I've also had my phone not vibrate when Pokemon pop up but that's just a glitch now and again. But for the most part no, you definitely don't need to be completely blind to the world and glued to your phone. Even if I'm staring at my phone playing the game though, I'm constantly looking up, looking around. I mean, the map doesn't represent the world perfectly anyway, you kind of need to see where the locator and the world line up so you can best gauge where to go.

Again though, clearly some people out there just uh...well, are dumbfucks.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2016, 11:31:37 PM »
I haven't figured out how the puffs of grass work... I go near them, I tap on them, I walk around by them, nothing happens.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2016, 12:31:04 AM »
They're not meant to be interacted with, they're merely indicators of Pokemon's potential activity. But they're good indicators if the area you're in has a lot of nearby Pokemon. If not, you might have to walk around the area in which the grass is popping up for a good bit for anything to appear, and even then, think of it as potential rather than a definite.

It seems that the appearance of Pokemon actually works a lot like in the main games except that the Pokemon are cycled and change a little bit depending on the area. There does seem to be a certain percentage of chance of appearance for Pokemon for each and every area (and by area I mean from a simple quarter mile radius to a whole city, so basically a whopping fuck ton of areas). For all the hours I've played so far, I thought I had encountered every Pokemon in my area (the strip and complexes that I work at and hang out around during work) and then all of a sudden I got a Pokemon that no one else in my now large group of coworkers, friends and acquaintances had even seen on the nearby area (a Tauros) and I encountered it because there was one pesky grass puff that kept popping up around me and I just walked around the cul-de-sac that it was in until the Tauros randomly popped up on my map. It didn't even appear on my "nearby" selection, it just popped out to say hi.

For as much as I think I'll put this game down by the time Sun/Moon comes out, it's got a knack for pulling you back into the game.

RIP DTP.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2016, 12:58:19 AM »
So how far are you guys filling up your Pokedex? If that's what you're going for, off course. I got Pikachu on my way to work this morning, so I'm up to 66 now. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2016, 01:11:59 AM »
I'm only at 56 but I started focusing on powering up the 'mon I have already that have potential and cut back on searching far and wide. I've got a good, balanced team of mid thousand-CP badasses now so whenever I do travel outside my normal areas and get some cool pokes, I can also battle the local gyms.

RIP DTP.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2016, 04:14:39 AM »
I'm at 52. My usual spot for playing doesn't have a lot of different Pokemon. I haven't explored different catching areas yet but I may start soon so I can get more unique Pokemon.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2016, 06:25:57 AM »
Since the game only came out on Sunday here I am only level 7, and I have 28. Saw an Abra that I failed to catch though.

Strongest pokemon is presently a Jynx that's like a 400 :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2016, 06:42:17 PM »
I know I'm the first generation with Atari but this is funny.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »
Meh. What cracked me up is... that...without a single fucking doubt, was made by a Pokemon fan.

NO ONE else would put that fucking accent over the "e". NO ONE:rollin :lol
also obligatory "too"

RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »
 :lol

My brother called his X-BOX his Sex Box because when he played it he got none. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »
So it turns out I've been unwittingly walking through an area where Pokemon gather to stare at their phones over the last couple of weeks. Couldn't figure out WTF was going on. Where I live tons of people spend time walking around the lakes, but now they all sit in one little area all facing the same direction. I thought it was pretty peculiar at first, and now I think it still is. Not sure if the truth is better than the mystery.  :lol

In all fairness, while it's not my thing, it really is a pretty fucking brilliant idea.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:16 AM »
In all fairness, while it's not my thing, it really is a pretty fucking brilliant idea.

This I agree with and I also had a similar situation this weekend.

Went out to dinner with my family and my parents wanted to do a walk through the small park before heading home.  My brother got all excited because he knew there was a pokespot or whatever they call them at the park.  So we walked over and there were so many people on their phones walking around and you could see the game on their screen. 

My brother also told me there's a spot pretty close to my house along the water where there are pokestops (once again I don't know if this is the term or whatnot) and some guy set up a hotdog stand right in the same spot and was making tons of money.  Pokemon is good for business.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
Meh. What cracked me up is... that...without a single fucking doubt, was made by a Pokemon fan.

NO ONE else would put that fucking accent over the "e". NO ONE:rollin :lol
also obligatory "too"

:lol Funny that they were precise enough to include the "é" but careless enough to not use the correct from of "too".

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:51 PM »
Clarification:

They are not "Pokespots" they are not "Pokecenters", they are "pokeSTOPs"
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin