Which team are you a member of?

Team Instinct (Yellow)
8 (25.8%)
Team Mystic (Blue)
17 (54.8%)
Team Valor (Red)
6 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Pokemon Go  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 07:54:27 AM »
As someone who has loved Pokemon since I was 7 and played through all generations apart from 4, I don't really get the hype for this and neither do I have any interest in it. I guess I could see the appeal of a Pokemon game in your cellphone, but I much prefer the classic, traditional pokemon game.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »
As someone who has loved Pokemon since I was 7 and played through all generations apart from 4, I don't really get the hype for this and neither do I have any interest in it. I guess I could see the appeal of a Pokemon game in your cellphone, but I much prefer the classic, traditional pokemon game.
I don't think it has anything to do with having Pokemon in your cellphone but rather catching Pokemon in real life! It's like what we all dreamed about for as long as Pokemon has existed.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »

Well of course it doesn't come close to the mainline series, they have years upon years more work put into them with team(s) that are much larger and with an insanely larger budget.  :lol The main series is a totally different game and superior in every way, I agree; but they're also apples and oranges. This will never even compare to a full fledged Game Freak Pokemon to me either. But for what it is, it's a really well done augmented reality game and is a fantastic way to have an excuse to get some exercise for those not inclined to normally do so as well as a fun way for people who do normally do so to spice up their routine and even more fun for people who know Pokemon. It was also very clearly designed to open up the market to new Pokemon players and...to say it's done so is a vast understatement.

If you go into it comparing it to anything along the mainline games, you'll be disappointed. But if you go into it with an open mind, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. If the concept just isn't your thing, that's a different story. But take it from someone who had less than zero interest and has also been an avid fan since the series' inception (with thousands upon thousands of hours throughout the games): It's a fun little distraction at worst and at best, it's a temporary addiction that actually benefits you (unless you do what other dipshits have done and don't pay attention to your surroundings, playing while driving, etc.) and gives you a constantly fun reason to pull your phone out at a random time during the day to see what critters inhabit the ether around you. Calling it "Pokemon on your cellphone" is a really shallow label of it, even if it's not technically wrong. Not that it's "so much more than that", but it is more.

Other than that, yeah, it's nothing too groundbreaking even as far as augmented reality goes. But for Pokemon, it's a great start and they could make it a lot more fun down the line. I thought it'd be shit, totally gimmicky and more or less a money grab. I haven't spent a dollar and yet I'm level 15 now, have a bunch of cool spots that I know to go to during my daily run/walk, places to go when work is slow and I can fool around a bit. It's just a really interesting and fun way to inject some excitement into your daily life with a little more spontaneity, is how I see it. Looking at it that way, it's fantastic. Best part, you really have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it out. The hype will die down soon enough and I'm sure it'll be much more lax for me, but it's fun to know I've got this always-there little game that is dependent on my daily routine and encourages exploration. That's the part I love most. While it's a far cry from the main game, they really took the heart of the game and did something fun with it; the tagline may as well be "search far and wide". Just a spiel from a former naysayer!  :D :tup (On that note, every time some Sun/Moon info comes out I totally forget about this game temporarily  :lol )

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 11:15:47 AM »
Exactly. Different strokes for different blokes.  Denigrating someone who likes something that you personally don't like is just juvenile.  It goes to some immature need to feel better than someone else for some made-up reason that really has nothing to do with you.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »
All I know is, I've walked 14 miles this week that I otherwise wouldn't have, and I didn't get pizza for lunch once.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
I just read a thing about the first (known) break-up because of Pokemon Go.  Some guy caught a Pokemon near his ex-girlfriend's house, and his formerly current girlfriend (now also an ex-girlfriend) found out.  No idea how she figured that out, but I went back to link to it and the article was gone and now there's this one:

16 Couples Who Are *This Close* To Divorcing Because Of Pokémon Go

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »
Now that's funny.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »
Morons, indeed.

Two men fall off cliff near San Diego while playing Pokémon Go

This and

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Man-Playing-Pokemon-Go-Stabbed-in-Anaheim-Park-386752671.html

Guys, please be safe and be smart.  For instance, probably not a good idea to wonder about by yourself after midnight trying to catch Pokemon, especially in a public park in Ana-Crime, CA

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »
Holy crap!  Not cool.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2016, 03:55:26 PM »
Pokemon GO doing what it can to sort out the weed of the population  :P

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2016, 04:20:24 PM »
I love this game. Wish the battling was actually like the originals, and I wish you could battle other trainers, and I wish pokemon didn't become useless as you level up, but otherwise I love this game. Hopefully as it becomes more popular and widespread they eventually start adding in the other generations of pokemon. 151 pokemon isn't much after you've played it for a good long while.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 07:13:18 AM »
While I bust my friends' balls about this, because it's a ridiculously easy button to push for fun, I can understand the appeal of it and the good it can do for people.

That said, it you have to be TOLD not to use this app at some place like Auschwitz, then there's a problem, IMO:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/auschwitz-museum-no-pokemon-go/

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
I love this game. Wish the battling was actually like the originals, and I wish you could battle other trainers, and I wish pokemon didn't become useless as you level up, but otherwise I love this game. Hopefully as it becomes more popular and widespread they eventually start adding in the other generations of pokemon. 151 pokemon isn't much after you've played it for a good long while.

Maybe it's just bad luck, but there's plenty of the 151 I still haven't even seen on my "nearby" radar. I'm also someone who never played the games past gen 1, so no interest in them adding the newer ones :lol More pokemon added to the mix means less Magikarp and Dratini for me to catch on my quest for epic dragons.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
This is getting out of control. I don't want to download it because I know I'll become obsessed (and that's not good for work).  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
Who's Mongo and why is everyone poking him?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
This is getting out of control. I don't want to download it because I know I'll become obsessed (and that's not good for work).  :lol

Figures you'd become obsessed with a game whose goal is to have a harem of captives :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
Just to see what all the fuss was about, I downloaded it to my Droid the other day.  I was at work, waiting for the clock to tell me I could leave (no boss, no work, but I have to stick around "just in case").  Built a character, set it all up.  It wouldn't work because I was inside a building and had no GPS.  At least I think that's why it wouldn't work.

So on the way out to the parking lot, I opened it up again, and there was a Charmander with some circles around it.  I tapped on it, and a Pokeball appeared and disappeared.  Repeat.  Repeat again.  Repeat maybe 10 more times.  I tried holding the tap longer, shorter, tried tapping in different places, tried making sure the Pokeball was inside the circles before releasing, etc.  Absolutely nothing.  No messages, no help available of any kind.  No instructions anywhere.  I had no idea what to do, what I was doing wrong, or anything.

So I deleted the app.  Okay, I tried it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
you flick the pokeball like you're throwing it at the pokemon  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »
Is "how in the fuck do you play this game?" actually explained anywhere in-game?  I couldn't find anything resembling instructions.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
Yeah, that's one thing I will say, there's little to no information about how to play and what different items do. The learning curve is steep if you don't read an article or two online ahead of time.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 11:16:58 AM »
Nope, you literally have to figure everything out yourself.

That said, you can press the 'help' button somewhere and it gives yoy some information, but the game is very true to the 'you teach me and I teach you' line in the Pokemon theme song, in the sense that people need to help each othet out on how to play the game. There's a bunch of guides on the internet already, but it's not overly difficult to play the game. Anybody can do it, really.

Oh, at peak hours the game is buggy as hell and freezes often. Luckily, I'm on the other side of the world, so when the USA is wildly playing this game, it's evening at my location.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
Good to know. I mean, I played Red and Blue hundreds of years ago, and I'm not a complete idiot, but I could not figure out what to do.  I consider that a poor user interface, poor design.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
I agree with you. Supposedly the game finished, and I get that. But why bother releasing a game with literally no documentation or clues as to how to do literally anything in the game, what numbers or symbols mean...anything. That's a mess.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2016, 11:33:31 AM »
I mean... there's loads of games out there that have no tutorials; tons throughout all of video game history. It's a design decision, it's not like "oops, we forgot that part". But I get the dislike of it completely and I had my troubles with it as well, mainly concerning the nuances of actually catching the Pokemon. I wasn't sure how exactly the levels of "nice; great; excellent" catches worked with the circle within a circle. But on the same token there's some satisfaction in finding out for yourself and I'm of the mind that tutorials that take forever and spell every single facet of a game out to you like you're an invalid are some of the most annoying aspects of the recent generation of gaming so I'm okay with zero hand-holding.

It does more or less work against you with this type of game rather than being an exploration, so I get the need for some kind of explanation. It just seems most devs don't know moderation. There's either so many pop-ups and ever present "THIS IS HOW YOU DO THE THING!" or nothing at all.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »
Had a nice run after lunch today, bouncing between three stops with lures active while I also had incense and a lucky egg triggered. I must have averaged a catch a minute for that half hour. One of my strategies is to save up a bunch of evolutions and then use them with a lucky egg for the 2x EXP bonus, but I was so busy catching that I didn't even get to like half of the evolutions I had ready.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
My first egg (10km) hatched today. Got me a Tauros!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2016, 01:40:17 AM »
Wait a minute.... Did Destiny of Chaos start this thread? Good to see you around here. I haven't seen your name in a long time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2016, 08:58:50 AM »
I have 7 pokemon and no idea what I'm doing... weeeeee

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
Just started. It's pretty good. Kind of disappointed that one of the most important features of the game doesn't really work (the tracker), but I expect that once all the kinks are worked out and the servers become reliable that this thing will be ridiculously addicting for me. Still disappointed that there was a Dratini hanging around by my house last night that I just couldn't find. :'(

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2016, 01:08:13 PM »
Just started. It's pretty good. Kind of disappointed that one of the most important features of the game doesn't really work (the tracker), but I expect that once all the kinks are worked out and the servers become reliable that this thing will be ridiculously addicting for me. Still disappointed that there was a Dratini hanging around by my house last night that I just couldn't find. :'(

The tracker had been working a few days ago, it's just recently that it's been an issue. I never used the tracker much when it was functional tbh.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
This game really brought out the stupid people. I don't know the details, but apparently a girl walked out into traffic to catch a Pokemon, and people are trespassing, and falling off cliffs...

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »
A blastoise ran away from me today before I could catch it.  :angry:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2016, 03:54:38 AM »
Hey guys, I haven't played this game and not really planning to, but I wonder how long these guys have been working on mapping everything, with all the memorials and stuff.

A friend of mine showed me that one of the hotspots (or whatever you call them) was "Amsteldorp Memorial" along with a picture of it. The pic must be atleast 5 years old since it has been taken down five years ago. Have they actually taken years and years going through google maps for the entire world and saving pics of different kinds of buildings and memorials?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.