Which team are you a member of?

Team Instinct (Yellow)
8 (25.8%)
Team Mystic (Blue)
17 (54.8%)
Team Valor (Red)
6 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Pokemon Go  (Read 9509 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Pokemon Go
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »

Pokemon Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=16645.0

Pokemon Go has become an overnight sensation. There is some discussion about this at the end of the current Pokemon thread, but I felt that Pokemon Go deserves its own thread.

So what does everyone think of the app? Do you like the game itself? How about the social ramifications? How can the game be improved? Etc.....

Also, which team are you on if you play? Poll included!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:32:22 PM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 12:31:51 PM »
Still only at level 4, so no team yet.

I can't wait to see what this game has to offer in the months/years to come. This is every Pokemon player's dream, and I hope it doesn't get caught up in the corporate bullshit.

Basically, this game needs to play exactly like Pokemon Blue and Red, with the exception of using the real world as a map rather than some premade city. It would be awesome if they could write the software so that the game could automatically superimpose pokemon game images (grass, buildings, etc..)  on top of the real world GPS map (if that makes sense). Make the GPS overhead view look like that of a pokemon game, basically.

Player name: BrianOfPallet
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:49:46 PM by Chino »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
I'm at level 4 too. Leaning towards Team Valor.

Link to standard "Pokemon Go is taking the country by storm" article.  https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/tech/pokemon-go-crazy-events/index.html

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
I'm almost to level five. I'm leaning towards either Team Mystic (all of my friends are on this team) or Team Instinct (my girlfriend is on this team).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:20:25 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
I just hit level 6 after lunch, no idea which team I'm going to join yet. Just evolved my Pidgey into a CP144 Pidgeotto.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:34 PM »
I'm level 13 and have been playing like a mad man. Which is funny considering that, as a rabid fan of all Pokemon games since the games came stateside (other than a break for a few years), I had zero interest in this. Less than zero. I figured I'd try it out and next thing I know I'm pulling out my phone at work and walking around the strip to see what critters are hiding, watching other people of all walks of life and niches doing just the same.

It's truly a phenomenon in every sense of the word. People who not only don't play Pokemon or had extremely limited knowledge of it (as in, had only heard the name of the series) are addicted to this thing. Shit, people who actively don't like Pokemon are playing it. I really...don't understand. It's fucking everywhere. Which is why I'm giggling at all the people bitching about server issues. There is zero chance in hell that Niantic or TPC (by the bye, Ninty has almost nothing to do with this game) could have predicted this level of interest or that it would have blown to such massively popular proportions. Even the people who were actively keeping up with this and were addicted to the concept before it even came out were flabbergasted by the level of popularity in the US.

It's really amazing. Great, too. Awesome to see Pokemon getting nationwide attention and such a huge spike in social media popularity. I mean, the series has always been a hit worldwide. But this is another level. This is kind of the definition of "going viral"...and then taking a few lines of cocaine while working out on steroids. I don't know what's going on but it's pretty neat. Granted, I'm sure it'll die down almost just as quickly as it began but it's cool nonetheless. Honest to goodness I'm a bit tired of it already but it sure is a great little time killer and distraction. If they build on it down the line and add some things, it could be pretty fun. It'll never replace the main series and is a far cry from the true bliss and wonderfulness of Pokemon, but it's one hell of an altered reality game and pretty much shits all over the term "mobile game" and the massive stigma the term has carried since games have been available on phones. My hype for Sun/Moon overtakes the game entirely but it's a great way to kill some time while I'm waiting and playing the main games in between! :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:58:31 AM »
I'm a trainer called Nayhaline at level 6 so far. As of now, I have 16 Pokemans in my PokeDex. Oh, and I'm also Team Mystic. :metal It's so much fun going around in the city and catch these fuckers.  :biggrin:

However, with that being said, I do believe the game has potential to be so much more than it already is. It's quite basic in its current form. But I expect that will change in future updates.  :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
On her walk this morning....around 6:30 am, my wife found one of our neighbors young kid (5 yrs old) on his front porch crying. She went up to him quickly because it seemed odd that he was out so early in his jammies, crying on the front porch. He had a cell phone clutched in his hands and the door was locked.

She said she rang the door bell and knocked repeatedly but no one would answer. Eli's grandmother happened to call the phone while my wife was with him and she told her where to find the front door key. My wife opened the door and shouted for Jessica....(she told me she didn't want to go in but was worried about what if she had a heart attack or something..she didn't want Eli to find her like that)

After a minute or so she said Jessica came down the stairs...very groggy and explained she'd been up all night with their other son and that Eli had came into her room early and grabbed her phone. And...he started playing Pokemon Go....went outside to catch some Pokemen or whatever and locked himself out.  :(

Thankfully it all turned out ok but there's the potential there for something tragic to have happened.....and it won't surprise me when we hear something tragic happen related to this game. I'm not attacking the game don't get me wrong, but the potential is there for some major shenanigans. Already in St. Louis (3) Teens have been arrested for robbing people playing this game with their heads down and focus on other things.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »
Children (adults most likely as well) will die playing this game no doubt. Morbid, sure, but it's the truth. Someone is going to get hit by a bus or fall into a lake and drown eventually.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »
In that part, don't blame the game. It's just common sense.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »
^ That. (Thus far) It's all avoidable and there's been constant warning postings by the company and within the game itself (the loading screen has one every single time you boot up the game). The story about the child is also completely avoidable. A simple password on the phone and the kid can't play the game. But yeah I'm sure more shit will happen around the game. Smart company has their ass covered though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »
Arlington National Cemetery just Tweeted asking to not play the game on the grounds.

Yup, it's out of control.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
Children (adults most likely as well) will die playing this game no doubt. Morbid, sure, but it's the truth. Someone is going to get hit by a bus or fall into a lake and drown eventually.

My cop friend has already told me the game has caused traffic accidents in the town.

Honestly think the game is genius on some level, really creative idea although I refuse to play it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »
Can't wait for The Astonishing Go!

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
My son came downstairs the other night and put his shoes on, said he was going for a walk.  A walk?  My wife and I didn't understand.  He does not go for walks.  He sits in his room and plays on his laptop, or phone.  Also, it was 9:00 at night and he's usually in bed by 10:00 (he works at 7:00 in the morning).  The next day, the entire known universe was buzzing about Pokemon Go.  Ah, now I understand.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
Arlington National Cemetery just Tweeted asking to not play the game on the grounds.

Yup, it's out of control.

As did the Holocaust Museum...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 05:36:29 PM »
Wow. That is crazy
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »

Not necessary - it's gone  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 06:32:12 PM »

Not necessary - it's gone  :biggrin:

:lol

You son of a.....

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 12:06:15 AM »
I've never played any Pokemon game in any fashion in my life. I know there is one called Pikachu. Otherwise, I have no idea what the hell Pokemon is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 03:56:23 AM »
I've never played any Pokemon game in any fashion in my life. I know there is one called Pikachu. Otherwise, I have no idea what the hell Pokemon is.
Pretty much, i'll also add that I first thought that the pokemons you chase was real people but on screen they looked like pokemons. Now that would have been a true social experiment.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 06:03:50 AM »
My son came downstairs the other night and put his shoes on, said he was going for a walk.  A walk?  My wife and I didn't understand.  He does not go for walks.  He sits in his room and plays on his laptop, or phone.  Also, it was 9:00 at night and he's usually in bed by 10:00 (he works at 7:00 in the morning).  The next day, the entire known universe was buzzing about Pokemon Go.  Ah, now I understand.

Nah. He was going out to smoke a J knowing that he could use Pokemon as an excuse  :hat
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:07:03 AM by Chino »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »
We actually thought that was a possibility, or at least I did.  Hell, he's 23, it wouldn't surprise me.  But I'd've smelled it on him when he came back, plus he was going to bed soon and wouldn't have wasted the buzz.  He's like me in that respect, far too frugal to do that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 07:10:14 AM »
We actually thought that was a possibility, or at least I did.  Hell, he's 23, it wouldn't surprise me.  But I'd've smelled it on him when he came back, plus he was going to bed soon and wouldn't have wasted the buzz.  He's like me in that respect, far too frugal to do that.

:lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »
I've been playing this like an idiot for the past two days. The game isn't even out yet in my country, but every student here is running around campus looking for Pokemon. It's completely ridiculous to be honest :lol

But it's fun, I've had walks with my girlfriend to places I had never been because of this game. Rather stupid, yeah, but whatever. I've been enjoying it so far, though I don't really get how the CP-system works in the game. I have a couple of good Pokemon right now, but the gym near me (which is basically my house :lol) has Pokemon in it that have twice as much CP.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »
Had a productive last chunk of my lunch hour, was in a little park with three stops that all had lures on them, and then I stacked an incense and a lucky egg and also triggered a bunch of evolutions I had been holding back on. Jumped from about 10.5 to 13.5.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »

https://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/pokemon-go-car-crash-362895

almost happened here

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
I almost caught a wild Pigeot. I had it in the Pokeball 6 times and it escaped every time before flying away. Luckily, I'm close to being able to evolve my Pigeotto so it's not too big of a deal in the long run.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 06:01:33 PM »
I gotta remember this shit next time someone says I'm immature for watching wrestling.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 08:42:28 PM »

almost happened here

Yup, and he'll be cited for driving while distracted by phone.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 05:37:09 AM »

almost happened here

Yup, and he'll be cited for driving while distracted by phone.

Man. I don't get it. Why would anyone in a position like that admit they were playing pokemon or texting? I'd just tell the officer I fell asleep at the wheel.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 06:11:14 AM »
I gotta remember this shit next time someone says I'm immature for watching wrestling.

You're not immature for watching wrestling (wrestling is awesome) just like nobody here is immature for playing this game. The immature ones are the people who criticize others for doing something that they enjoy.

-MirrorMask

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 06:36:44 AM »

You're not immature for watching wrestling (wrestling is awesome) just like nobody here is immature for playing this game. The immature ones are the people who criticize others for doing something that they enjoy.

This.

Some dude chewed me out on Reddit yesterday saying something like "Have you stopped and evaluated yourself at all in the last week? You need to alter your reality in order to enjoy life. Isn't that a little sad?". Fuck you asshole. I sit in traffic for 2+ hours a day to sit in cubicles and meeting rooms for 8+ hours. If going outside for 30 minutes to catch imaginary animals makes my day even a little bit less shitty, I'm going to do it.

I have plenty of "reality" shoved down my throat everytime I read a comments section, open a news webpage, or check social media. Reality is pretty fucking bleak right now in a lot of aspects. This provides me with a much needed distraction.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 06:44:58 AM »

This.

Some dude chewed me out on Reddit yesterday saying something like "Have you stopped and evaluated yourself at all in the last week? You need to alter your reality in order to enjoy life. Isn't that a little sad?". Fuck you asshole. I sit in traffic for 2+ hours a day to sit in cubicles and meeting rooms for 8+ hours. If going outside for 30 minutes to catch imaginary animals makes my day even a little bit less shitty, I'm going to do it.

I have plenty of "reality" shoved down my throat everytime I read a comments section, open a news webpage, or check social media. Reality is pretty fucking bleak right now in a lot of aspects. This provides me with a much needed distraction.

I don't see how playing an app where you catch cartoon characters is much different to playing a game where you shoot aliens in the head, or watching a movie about a man dressed as a bat, or watching a TV show with dragons.

Anyone who crashes their car because they're too caught up in catching said cartoon characters is however an idiot. :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 07:39:42 AM »
Even though I don't get the whole Pokemon thing.....I'm not going to criticize anyone who does. Because there are certainly things I do that I'm sure people don't get. For instance...I like to hunt, I know for a fact there are people that don't 'get it' when it comes to hunting...but oh well that's not gonna stop me from doing something I enjoy.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind