Author Topic: Chef's Table: Netflix Series  (Read 742 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Chef's Table: Netflix Series
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
Each episode of this series tells the story of a chef who, at the time of filming, has a highly regarded world class restaurant and is usually doing something most have never seen in food service.  I am interested mostly because it focuses on people at the peak of some creative arc in their life and are just endlessly driven in that pursuit.

On the other hand, when I actually consider that although it is art, it is still food.  And seeing chefs plate their creations with tweezers, inflating balloons made of sugar and filled with the smoke of some food, I can't help but react with a "come on, man!, really?".

It makes me think of what I've read about rock music in the 1970's, when bands like Yes, ELP, Genesis, Kansas, etc were getting increasingly carried away with complexity and avant-garde, people responded with "fuck that", I'm going to play my untuned guitar loud and badly, and thus we got punk rock.  I wonder if there will be a punk food movement.

Switching back to viewing it as art, I still find the show interesting.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Chef's Table: Netflix Series
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »
It's on my list, but I haven't started it yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.