Author Topic: Your favourite albums of the year so far!  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Your favourite albums of the year so far!
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2016, 07:57:30 AM »
I threw up the full top50 list on RYM.. I did spoil the top10 here already, but here goes: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Zantera/2016___best_of_so_far/

Nice list to read through! Lots of interesting stuff in there that I might like to try out.

But, damn man, 50(!!) new albums this year alone. That's like a new album every 3-4 days. How do you manage to do that and keep listening and exploring older, other stuff as well?

I have my periods. I don't listen to new albums every week, because some weeks are sparse with new albums I'm interested in, but I typically get 4-5 albums together, listen to them all 4-5 times during a week (once per day, I can get those albums listened to during the week days), then typically during weekends I listen to stuff I'm already familiar with and like. Sometimes I can go off track, if I don't have any new albums, I might take a week to explore the back discography of another artist or something like that. Generally speaking, I really love moving forward and finding new artists and despite being a very nostalgic person, I'm not the kind of guy who needs to listen to my favorite bands every week. I can go for long periods of times, like 5-6 months not listening to a top20 band, and then when I do get back to them, it's more rewarding somehow.

But in the last few years I have ended up at around 100-130 albums per year. Now, a lot of them, maybe half are bands/artists I'm already familiar with dropping new albums. Those albums aren't a problem, because you're always gonna listen to them either way. I think the challenge is being just as fair to the new discoveries, making sure you give them a few spins to click. I've noticed some people tend to disregard albums if the first listen doesn't click, and that's a shame. I really try my best to give the albums a fair chance, and out of those 50, I've listened to at least 40-45 of them the usual 4-5 times. I always end up with a few major discoveries at the end of the year, artists I hadn't heard going into the year that I end up loving a lot.  :)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2016, 02:25:59 AM »
Penny for your Thoughts by Odd Logic is quickly becoming one of my favourite this year.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2016, 02:39:05 AM »
Out of about 10 new albums I've gotten this year, there are only two I've liked enough to still listen to-

Inglorious - Inglorious
Hands Like Houses - Dissonants
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:12 AM »
Anthrax & Fates Warning

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »
So far, I've listened to only five 2016 albums. I like them all, and each of them is special for diverse reasons:

1. David Bowie's Blackstar
This was a late Christmas present from a friend. He gave it to me late January. It's special because earlier that month (a few days before Bowie died) I was considering buying the Nothing has changed 3CD edition - I had never listened to a Bowie album, and I was turned on by the fact that it features recordings from throughout 50 years. (The only other compilation I know that does the same thing is the Rolling Stones' GRRR!, but on Christmas I got Exile on Main St., so I didn't want a Stones' overdose :P).
Anyway, Blackstar is my first Bowie album, and it took a few listens but I like it a lot. I was surprised with the title track - it reminded me of "El Ciervo Vulnerado" by The Mars Volta (one of my favourite bands).
Favourite song: "Dollar Days"
Most ignored song: "Lazarus". I read a lot of praise for it, but to me it's a boring slow ballad. That said, I know he was dying when he recorded the album, so maybe that has to do with the song.

2. Dream Theater's The Astonishing
I had been waiting for this album for a year, since I learned in early 2015 that they would be recording something different - I remember all the discussion in this forum about what the album would be like. Many forum members were expecting a double album, a concept album, shorter songs, different styles/genres in the music, etc. I also imagined it would be cool if they did a movie together with the music. So, I was very happy when it turned out the album featured all those things, more or less :)
I was also surprised that I found copies of the album in a local record store the day after the release - since new albums usually take 1 to 2 weeks to come around my area. I bought a copy for my best friend that Saturday, and a copy for myself on Monday.
Favourite song: "A New Beginning", although there are many other great songs, obviously.
Most ignored song: Besides the NOMAC tracks, "Chosen".

3. Lautaro Ríos' Umbela
This is the debut solo album by Lautaro, a young (19 year old) guy from around my area, who used to have a pop/rock band a few years ago. Despite being so young and having a short career, he is very talented, and his music features elements from many genres - there is 70s prog, funk, some jazz, some Argentinean folk, pop á la Coldplay.
I saw Lautaro play the album in its entirety last December, right before he went into the studio, and I was amazed by his music. I remember he was playing a song whose intro is in 11/8, and I was obsessed with it, trying to figure out the time signature as he went along. Anyway, for those of you who are interested: lautarorios.bandcamp.com. So far, only the albums' title track has been uploaded, but apparently the whole thing will be there soon.
Favourite song: "Lucha Afín". It starts as a dark post-punk song, driven by the bassist. Then, it progressively gets to a "And You And I" vibe. It's a highlight of the record.
Most ignored song: "Soy Hoy", a dark ballad similar to Coldplay's "What If". Compared to the rest of the album's songs, this one is pretty monotonous.

4. Blink-182's California
This one came out exactly 2 weeks ago. I listened to it on the band's YouTube page that day, and today I'll get to buy my copy :) I've been a huge Blink fan at different moments in my life - when I was a pre-teen, when I was 14 and they released their self-titled masterpiece in 2003, a few years ago during their reunion tours/music, and now. I know their discography inside out, and I've bought every new thing they've released since their 2000 live album - which was the first time I entered a record store.
With further listens, I've liked this more and more. Many catchy songs, and the vocals are evenly divided between the 2 singers, which is great because Mark (whose voice I like a lot) was not present as much in their last album/EP. Plus, it has Travis on drums so it's a mandatory listen for me (since he is my favourite drummer. He plays great creative parts on what are otherwise simple pop songs. To me, the lead instrument in Blink is the drums. The rest comes 2nd).
Favourite song: Many fans have been praising "Left Alone". I think I agree as well.
Most ignored song: "Built This Pool". Its effect wears off pretty quickly after a few listens.

5. Esperanza Spalding's Emily's D+Evolution
I saw a copy of this CD at a local store. I didn't know a single thing by Esperanza or this album, but I wanted to buy a 2016 album by a female artist this month, so I checked out her Wikipedia page and a few interviews. I was gladly surprised by her career and story, so eventually I bought her album, not having heard a single note.
I like this, although I have to listen to it a bit more. It's jazz mixed with pop, funk, prog/math rock. (The album was co-produced with Tony Visconti, so fans of Blackstar might enjoy this music as well.)
Favourite song: "Good Lava", the opener. It's one of the rockier, proggier songs on the album. A few jazzy ballads are great too.
Most ignored song: "I Want It Now", the closer. It's a cover, and I almost always ignore covers*

*The only cover I care about is "Always On My Mind" by the Pet Shop Boys - one of my favourite things to listen to.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:45:40 AM by SebastianPratesi »

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
I've noticed some people tend to disregard albums if the first listen doesn't click, and that's a shame.

I always end up with a few major discoveries at the end of the year, artists I hadn't heard going into the year that I end up loving a lot.  :)
I agree on the first sentence. Many albums I now love, I initially didn't like. The aforementioned California, DT's Black Clouds... Rubber Soul is now my favourite Beatles music, but it took 8 years for me to re-listen to it after discovering the band.

On the 2nd part: that's always great. For a long time, I only cared about listening to my favourite bands' new albums. But, every year since 2013, I've decided to be open to a lot of stuff. Also, whenever possible I try going to concerts by local artists of different genres.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »
My Top 5 of this year so far:

1. Ihsahn - Arktis
2. Haken - Affinity
3. Fates Warning - Theories of Flight
4. Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
5. Redemption - The Art of Loss

Honourable mention (because it's so different that I find it hard to rank it among all the other albums that I have heard this year):

Cliff Martinez - The Neon Demon OST
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »
I'll go with a top 10 as of this moment (I've only heard 14 new albums so far tho oops):

01. Dream Theater - The Astonishing
02. iamthemorning - Lighthouse
03. The Anchoress - Confessions of a Romance Novelist
04. Haken - Affinity
05. Myrath - Legacy
06. Submotion Orchestra - Colour Theory
07. Frost* - Falling Satellites
08. Snarky Puppy - Culcha Vulcha
09. Låpsley - Long Way Home
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway

And upcoming releases I'm excited about (in order of how much I'm looking forward to it):

Diablo Swing Orchestra - TBA
Epica - The Holographic Principle (September 30th)
Opeth - Sorceress (TBA)
Neal Morse - TBA
Lindsey Stirling - Brave Enough (August 16th)
Tool - TBA
Incubus - Trust Fall Side B (TBA, album title may be different)
Soundgarden - TBA

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
There's a new Lindsey Stirling album coming out? Dope, I have to check that out.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
There's a new Lindsey Stirling album coming out? Dope, I have to check that out.

Yup! She's also dropped the first song for it already, and it's really good.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »

Yup! She's also dropped the first song for it already, and it's really good.
Thanks! I was surprised to read about it, too. I hope it gets released in my country next month (because Shatter Me took 5 months to eventually be released here in 2014).

What do you think of the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album? What does it sound like? I've been meaning to listen to it - Californication was my very first CD, so I was a big fan in 2000, but I haven't checked a full album since By The Way. I'm curious and interested in buying a copy, but new Blink-182 came out a few weeks ago, and I'm only buying 1 album per month.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2016, 11:34:16 PM »
sturgill simpson - a sailors guide to earth
Glad to see someone else giving him some credit! I don't care if you're a country person or not, it's a good album.

god. i hate country so much, but sturgill, while being no holds barred country at times, definitely transcends the genre. he's amazing. and that cover in bloom is perfect.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
Thanks! I was surprised to read about it, too. I hope it gets released in my country next month (because Shatter Me took 5 months to eventually be released here in 2014).

As far as I know, the album has been planned for about a year so far. I'm surprised with how quickly production has passed tbh. When she announced the album my reaction basically was "Already? Cool", haha.

What do you think of the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album? What does it sound like? I've been meaning to listen to it - Californication was my very first CD, so I was a big fan in 2000, but I haven't checked a full album since By The Way. I'm curious and interested in buying a copy, but new Blink-182 came out a few weeks ago, and I'm only buying 1 album per month.

It's good! It's definitely hit the right balance between "trying something new" and "sticking with their 'sound'", and in terms of style it reminds me most of Stadium Arcadium (from the few listens I've given it). There's a not-unnoticeable presence of piano (!!!) in the album, which is certainly different. For me it ranks around the same place as Californication (with much better production, obviously) and Stadium Arcadium and imo it's MUCH better than I'm With You, which I didn't care for at all. Also, there's an Elton John guest spot (playing piano) on "Sick Love", which I just found out. You might want to check out the single and the first song off the album before you use up your monthly purchase, tho.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
I don't even know how many new albums i've heard this year.

I've heard one great one The Astonishing

And one shit one Ellipsis by Biffy Clyro

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
It's good! It's definitely hit the right balance between "trying something new" and "sticking with their 'sound'", and in terms of style it reminds me most of Stadium Arcadium (from the few listens I've given it). There's a not-unnoticeable presence of piano (!!!) in the album, which is certainly different. For me it ranks around the same place as Californication (with much better production, obviously) and Stadium Arcadium and imo it's MUCH better than I'm With You, which I didn't care for at all. Also, there's an Elton John guest spot (playing piano) on "Sick Love", which I just found out. You might want to check out the single and the first song off the album before you use up your monthly purchase, tho.
Thanks, that's interesting! This friend of mine told me to listen to "Dark Necessities" as well - she told me it's great. She isn't a fan of the band, so coming from her, that sounds promising. Yeah, the album is expensive here (around $17 dollars), so I might check some of the music before deciding. That's what singles are for anyway, right?

What about the bass? I read a Flea interview/article somewhere where he said that, before recording, he had an accident and almost completely forgot how to play. So, he had to re-learn his skills. What does the bass sound like? Or maybe that story is fake?

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
Thanks, that's interesting! This friend of mine told me to listen to "Dark Necessities" as well - she told me it's great. She isn't a fan of the band, so coming from her, that sounds promising. Yeah, the album is expensive here (around $17 dollars), so I might check some of the music before deciding. That's what singles are for anyway, right?

What about the bass? I read a Flea interview/article somewhere where he said that, before recording, he had an accident and almost completely forgot how to play. So, he had to re-learn his skills. What does the bass sound like? Or maybe that story is fake?

$17!? That's beyond ridiculous. It's only around $12 on iTunes here in the states. I've bought double albums that were cheaper than that.

Well, I checked Wikipedia and it certainly seems like that he had an accident on a skiing trip and broke his arm (I'm not sure about the "forgetting how to play" thing tho). I don't really think his bass playing was affected at all, and if it was I certainly didn't notice it. It was as fantastic as always, if you ask me.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2016, 08:46:57 PM »
$17!? That's beyond ridiculous. It's only around $12 on iTunes here in the states. I've bought double albums that were cheaper than that.

Well, I checked Wikipedia and it certainly seems like that he had an accident on a skiing trip and broke his arm (I'm not sure about the "forgetting how to play" thing tho). I don't really think his bass playing was affected at all, and if it was I certainly didn't notice it. It was as fantastic as always, if you ask me.
Yeah, new albums' prices got a lot higher in the last couple of months. The Astonishing, for instance, is $28. That said, you sometimes get nice surprises. For instance, Maiden's last album, which is a 2CD, I bought it when it was released last September, and it still costs the same $12 - it hasn't turned any more expensive. Beatles' recent CDs, which for a long time were the most expensive thing here, now got cheaper and are fairly reasonable - around $11.

I did a quick search - here is the interview: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/red-hot-chili-peppers-talk-risky-danger-mouse-inspired-reboot-20160614. Maybe I misunderstood the whole thing. Anyway, in it, Flea says that he had to re-learn, starting with simple, one note lines.

I listened to "Dark Necessities" earlier today. I noticed the piano, like you said. Anyway, I didn't like the song, but it's likely there are much more interesting/likeable things in the album. I also read that the guys wanted the title-track to be the single, and you recommended listening to that one as well, so it seems like I might enjoy that one at least.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:52:52 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2016, 01:14:28 AM »
I add ColdWorld's Autumn to my list.