Author Topic: Dystopian Overture  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Heavens_Cove777

• A journey to find The answers inside Our illusive
Dystopian Overture
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:19 PM »
What do you guys think about this overture compared to SDOIT and Overture 1928?

Personally, it's my favorite. The choir bit where they are singing the theme of "brother can you hear me?" Is one of the album's best moments and it's a joyful victorious song.

*off topic* but, I just love the way that melody reprises several times each with a different feel. The overture makes it sound joyful and happy while BCYHM makes it sound victorious and like a war theme...the x aspect makes it sound depressing and like a funeral...and the title track makes it sound joyful again!
"I'm kneeling on the floor
staring at the wall
like the spider in the window
I wish that I could speak" ✝

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Re: Dystopian Overture
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:24:56 AM »
Soundwise it's the best, my favorite part is the early part with the piano arpeggiating like crazy on the epic dramatical riff :D
SDOIT is deep in my heart thought, only the sound is making me choose :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:26:43 AM »
I prefer SDOIT Overture and Overture 1928, but that's more about how much I love those sections rather than disliking Dystopian Overture in any way. Dystopian Overture is still very awesome. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 06:06:41 AM »

I like Overture 1928 more.

I like 6DOIT less.

So, second favorite of the three.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:04:06 AM »
I like better Overture 1928 because, frankly, it's hard to top something that lets you hum along to the Metropolis refrain when it's played live, but Dystopian Ovetture is a very good and well crafted opening. Absolutely great way to start the album and set the mood.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:05:45 AM »
Dystopian Overture is the best overture. However, Overture 1928 is way more fun.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:46:13 AM »

I like 6DOIT less.

Same here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 07:59:30 AM »
It's fantastic.  Might be my favorite of the overtures.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »

I like 6DOIT less.

:tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »
Dystopian Overture is the best of the bunch, Overture 1928 the second best. Even Overture is good, though.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »
It's my favorite of the overtures. The last section with Jordan's solo is still one of my favorite parts of that whole album.
1928 would be a close second, but I knew as soon as I heard Dystopian Overture that it had to be the best one. Not really a fan of the SDOIT Overture...never really clicked for me.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 02:07:16 AM »
Overture 1928 is my favorite as a standalone track, but for me, it does not really work well as an overture because it does not successfully remind me of portions of SFAM when I listen to it. Dystopian Overture, however, really works very well as an overture, it makes me imagine the other songs in The Astonishing. So, it is the best overture for me.

I love Mangini's playing in this. My favorite part is during the BCYHM melody, where Mangini plays a catchy pattern in the toms, not incredible by itself, but then also plays a ride pattern with his left hand, which then made it amazing.  :metal

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:38:22 AM »
I know it's not exactly an ouverture, but I think I like 2285 Entr’acte more than any of those.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »
Overture 1928 is still the best, but Dystopian Overture is quite strong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 04:32:37 PM »
As far as stand alone tracks, I'll go with 1928, even though as Erwinrafael pointed out, it's hardly an actual overture.

As far as actual overtures go, I'll go with Overture from 6 Degrees, but Dystopian is good, even if it's pretty disjointed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 06:08:40 AM »
One of the best songs from TA. I like it a bit more than Overture 1928 but not as much as 6DoIT's Overture.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »
I know it's not exactly an ouverture, but I think I like 2285 Entr’acte more than any of those.
I think that one works better as a final piece, played at the end of Act 2 better than at the start.

Kind of like an afterture.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »
I think that one works better as a final piece, played at the end of Act 2 better than at the start.

Kind of like an afterture.

It would work great for the final bows.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask