Poll

What should I watch after I finish GOT?

Veep
6 (33.3%)
Silicon Valley
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Veep or Silicon Valley  (Read 9596 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Veep or Silicon Valley
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
This is sad to hear. I have no doubt that the show can successfully carry on without him, but his character is unforgettable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2018, 03:49:34 AM »
Thankfully Gavin Belson is still with this show, definitely my favourite character!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
I'm not sure what I think about Silicon Valley. I can't tell if it's good or not. Gilfoyle is my favorite character on the show easily, and I think Dinesh can be funny. Jared used to have his moments. Richard... I've never really liked him. He's incredibly awkward, such a beta, and just... really unpleasant to watch sometimes. I know that's his character, but man, 5 seasons in, I'm just not sure what to think about the show. The plot just seems to barely cling together, like they're running out of ideas with Gavin and therefore the plot is meandering. But I'm still watching, mainly because of Gilfoyle being a smartass. He reminds me of my high school chemistry teacher in every way, including his voice and deadpan delivery.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
Still keeping up with the show, but a couple weeks ago, I started a rewatch. Once I finished season 2, I didn't really want to continue though. It's entertaining, but it also feels like it'd be a slog to get through again knowing that they don't really get anywhere.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2018, 07:19:16 AM »
Still keeping up with the show, but a couple weeks ago, I started a rewatch. Once I finished season 2, I didn't really want to continue though. It's entertaining, but it also feels like it'd be a slog to get through again knowing that they don't really get anywhere.

I just got my gf into it and we just started season 4.  I must say I enjoyed season 3 much more than season 2 on a rewatch.  I didn't realize how much I enjoyed that season. 

I'm not sure what I think about Silicon Valley. I can't tell if it's good or not. Gilfoyle is my favorite character on the show easily, and I think Dinesh can be funny. Jared used to have his moments. Richard... I've never really liked him. He's incredibly awkward, such a beta, and just... really unpleasant to watch sometimes. I know that's his character, but man, 5 seasons in, I'm just not sure what to think about the show. The plot just seems to barely cling together, like they're running out of ideas with Gavin and therefore the plot is meandering. But I'm still watching, mainly because of Gilfoyle being a smartass. He reminds me of my high school chemistry teacher in every way, including his voice and deadpan delivery.

Personally, I've found their plots every season to actually be pretty solid in terms of getting all the characters and story arcs to align.  I think that's the only benefit to this season at this point.  I've found it barely funny anymore, but I enjoy the storylines. 

Thankfully Gavin Belson is still with this show, definitely my favourite character!  :lol

Yea, love Gavin, also I love Russ Hanneman who appears to be returning so maybe he can turn this season around. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
I'm seeing a ton of hate on Reddit for the latest season of Silicon Valley, but I'm rather enjoying this one. Dinesh is kind of annoying this season, but everything else is fine by me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:20 AM »
I'm in love with whoever plays Monica. EDIT: Amanda Crew is her name.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »
I'm seeing a ton of hate on Reddit for the latest season of Silicon Valley, but I'm rather enjoying this one. Dinesh is kind of annoying this season, but everything else is fine by me.

Yeah the subreddit has been 90% salt about the show for as long as I've seen it. I totally understand where they are coming from and pretty much agree, but I'm not as personally angered by it. The show is still fine.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
I love this show. I love this season.

I hate Richard though. God damn annoying character. Luckily everyone else makes up for him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
Is there anyone who likes Richard?  He really is hard to watch sometimes, but yea, everyone else is a really interesting or funny character.

DTF Silicon Valley Characters Rankings!

Gavin Belson
Russ Hanneman
Jared
(Erlich would be here if he was still around)
Dinesh
Gilfoyle
Denpok
Jian-Yang
Jack Barker
Laurie Bream
Big Head
Monica
Richard

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
Jared as quickly worked his way up my favorite characters ladder. Once SC ends, I'd fully support a prequel spinoff about how he got to where he is.

Richard is hard to watch, but I wonder how much of it is acting. Have you ever seen the guy interviewed outside of the show? He's very much that way in real life.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:59:57 AM by Chino »

Online Adami

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Rankings? Eh. I love Dinesh, Gilfoyle and Jared.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Richard is hard to watch, but I wonder how much of it is acting. Have you ever seen the guy interviewed outside of the show? He's very much that way in real life.

I love when Russ Hanneman comes to the house and says to Richard something like, "Holy fuck, is that the way you really talk?" And Richard does this weird mumbly blinky stutter thing, and it makes you wonder if he's just a great actor or a total fucking weirdo.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »
Gilfoyle (cool and funny)
Jared (funny)
Jian-Yang (funny, wiseass, sometimes unsure if I love or hate him)
Erlich (funny; a character I love to hate)
Laurie Bream (love her for being so matter of fact)
Dinesh (occasionally pretty funny if annoying)
Monica (I just like her)
Richard (weird)
Gavin Belson (annoying and uninteresting)
Big Head (he's just kind of there)

Everyone else I'm not crazy about. Russ annoyed the heck out of me, Denpok isn't one I ever think about, and I actually don't remember much about Barker.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
I asked a friend what he thought the director told the actor about how he wants Jian Yang to be played. His response was, "Offensive and confusing."  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
Anyone watch the series finale of SV? I am sad.

Online Adami

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »
Anyone watch the series finale of SV? I am sad.

I did!

I mostly liked it. The last few seasons have been good, but not as great as the first 4 or so. I think they wrapped it up the best way they could and I appreciated where most of the characters ended up.

I kept waiting to see if they'd bring back Erlich and I think they handled that in the funniest way they could.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
Oh no, was season 6 the end? I didn't even hear about its premiere (guess that's what I get for waiting for Westworld to come back before resubbing to HBO). I feel like they were writing themselves into a corner by the end of season 5, and while I still enjoyed it, it felt like it was kind of following the same template as earlier seasons. Guess I'll have to catch up.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
I have to watch the finale, but this season just followed the pattern of not being as good as the previous.  I've loved the show and did enjoy the final season (up to the last episode), but nothing topped the first.   I will miss it, it's a show near and dear to me because of my profession and the similarities with the show vs. what I see at work at times. 

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »
The ending was fitting. I kind of hoped for something better but I am glad they didn't pander and ended it the only way it really could have for them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
The ending was fitting. I kind of hoped for something better but I am glad they didn't pander and ended it the only way it really could have for them.

Yea, that's where I am. The way the show went, there really weren't any reasonable ways to end, and they did a good job with it. It was just a little....alrighty.

Luckily Jared remained hilarious the whole series, as did the basic character dynamics. That said, Gavin Belson should've been written off the show a long time ago.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2019, 02:41:25 PM »

Yea, that's where I am. The way the show went, there really weren't any reasonable ways to end, and they did a good job with it. It was just a little....alrighty.

Luckily Jared remained hilarious the whole series, as did the basic character dynamics. That said, Gavin Belson should've been written off the show a long time ago.

I too really like the ending, both in story and in structure. I never really felt that way about Gavin until this most recent season. They ran out of material as Hooli shrunk. I wish they just sent him to China, leaving the valley for new tech endeavors.

SPOILER ALERT:

As for Richard, I don't think he misplaced the thumb drive. Monica is totally working with the NSA, and she took it from Jared. She lit a cigarette as soon as the interviewer mentioned that, and she only does that when she's nervous/under high stress.

I loved how Gilfoyle and Dinesh kept their love/hate relationship.

I'm curious as to what landed Lori in prison. Did I miss something?

As stupid as Big Head's arc went, it was perfectly fitting. I'm pretty sure his dad just became stupid rich. Russ bought all his father's stock four days before crashing.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 06:03:40 AM by Chino »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2019, 12:05:43 AM »
It's funny because I couldn't stand Dinesh on the last two seasons while I thought Gavin was one of the highlights of the show.  :D
Jared had some good scenes this season like when he finally snapped on Richard big time.

"You bitch-made MF"
"You think i'm scared to catch a case"

It's sad the show has ended but the last seasons felt a bit lackluster so I think they did the right thing.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2019, 11:34:17 AM »
I really enjoyed the final season of Silicon Valley, I honestly feel they hit their stride with the show in this final season. They made every episode very interesting and the side characters they chose were great.

I enjoyed the finale and it ended the way it was best suited for the show and characters. I will have to do a rewatch of the series, so many classic lines in the first few seasons and of course Jared probably had some of the best of them.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »
The finale was one of the best episodes in a long time (maybe since the season 1 finale).  Great way to end the show and it was filled with funny classic SV type moments.

Also, here's the full doc from the final episode

Silicon Valley | Ten Years Later: The Extended Pied Piper Documentary

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
The finale was one of the best episodes in a long time (maybe since the season 1 finale).  Great way to end the show and it was filled with funny classic SV type moments.

Also, here's the full doc from the final episode

Silicon Valley | Ten Years Later: The Extended Pied Piper Documentary

I came here to post exactly that. It is a very worthwhile watch. There is a lot more footage in that which makes it even better. It's 30 minutes on its own.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2019, 07:20:28 AM »
I've seen a few BTS photos surface on Reddit. This one was from the filming of Russ Fest, an episode directed by the guy who played Gavin.

I feel compelled to print that one out in black and white and hang it in my office.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »
We watched SV faithfully, and then didn't even know there was a final season until I saw this thread.

In the minority, but just really did not like most of it.  The Richard/Jared cutdowns just seemed out of place and not funny.  Lots of it just wasn't funny, or was a lot of the same old stuff.  Gilfoyle was superb, Danesh had his moments, but it did seem to have a lot of swearing just for swearing sake. And the 'we're a success, we screwed up, we're a success, we screwed up, we're a ...' sure got tiresome.

One can spoof things, but you need some sort of 'logic' to make it work.  Bighead never did, his position was unrealistic, and for years was tiresome.  It had a good run, but ran out of ideas long ago.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!