Poll

What should I watch after I finish GOT?

Veep
6 (35.3%)
Silicon Valley
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Veep or Silicon Valley  (Read 3333 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Veep or Silicon Valley
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
This is sad to hear. I have no doubt that the show can successfully carry on without him, but his character is unforgettable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2018, 03:49:34 AM »
Thankfully Gavin Belson is still with this show, definitely my favourite character!  :lol
There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard.

/Ade Edmondson

Online Kattoelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
I'm not sure what I think about Silicon Valley. I can't tell if it's good or not. Gilfoyle is my favorite character on the show easily, and I think Dinesh can be funny. Jared used to have his moments. Richard... I've never really liked him. He's incredibly awkward, such a beta, and just... really unpleasant to watch sometimes. I know that's his character, but man, 5 seasons in, I'm just not sure what to think about the show. The plot just seems to barely cling together, like they're running out of ideas with Gavin and therefore the plot is meandering. But I'm still watching, mainly because of Gilfoyle being a smartass. He reminds me of my high school chemistry teacher in every way, including his voice and deadpan delivery.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
Still keeping up with the show, but a couple weeks ago, I started a rewatch. Once I finished season 2, I didn't really want to continue though. It's entertaining, but it also feels like it'd be a slog to get through again knowing that they don't really get anywhere.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2018, 07:19:16 AM »
Still keeping up with the show, but a couple weeks ago, I started a rewatch. Once I finished season 2, I didn't really want to continue though. It's entertaining, but it also feels like it'd be a slog to get through again knowing that they don't really get anywhere.

I just got my gf into it and we just started season 4.  I must say I enjoyed season 3 much more than season 2 on a rewatch.  I didn't realize how much I enjoyed that season. 

I'm not sure what I think about Silicon Valley. I can't tell if it's good or not. Gilfoyle is my favorite character on the show easily, and I think Dinesh can be funny. Jared used to have his moments. Richard... I've never really liked him. He's incredibly awkward, such a beta, and just... really unpleasant to watch sometimes. I know that's his character, but man, 5 seasons in, I'm just not sure what to think about the show. The plot just seems to barely cling together, like they're running out of ideas with Gavin and therefore the plot is meandering. But I'm still watching, mainly because of Gilfoyle being a smartass. He reminds me of my high school chemistry teacher in every way, including his voice and deadpan delivery.

Personally, I've found their plots every season to actually be pretty solid in terms of getting all the characters and story arcs to align.  I think that's the only benefit to this season at this point.  I've found it barely funny anymore, but I enjoy the storylines. 

Thankfully Gavin Belson is still with this show, definitely my favourite character!  :lol

Yea, love Gavin, also I love Russ Hanneman who appears to be returning so maybe he can turn this season around. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
I'm seeing a ton of hate on Reddit for the latest season of Silicon Valley, but I'm rather enjoying this one. Dinesh is kind of annoying this season, but everything else is fine by me.

Online Kattoelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:20 AM »
I'm in love with whoever plays Monica. EDIT: Amanda Crew is her name.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »
I'm seeing a ton of hate on Reddit for the latest season of Silicon Valley, but I'm rather enjoying this one. Dinesh is kind of annoying this season, but everything else is fine by me.

Yeah the subreddit has been 90% salt about the show for as long as I've seen it. I totally understand where they are coming from and pretty much agree, but I'm not as personally angered by it. The show is still fine.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
I love this show. I love this season.

I hate Richard though. God damn annoying character. Luckily everyone else makes up for him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
Is there anyone who likes Richard?  He really is hard to watch sometimes, but yea, everyone else is a really interesting or funny character.

DTF Silicon Valley Characters Rankings!

Gavin Belson
Russ Hanneman
Jared
(Erlich would be here if he was still around)
Dinesh
Gilfoyle
Denpok
Jian-Yang
Jack Barker
Laurie Bream
Big Head
Monica
Richard

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
Jared as quickly worked his way up my favorite characters ladder. Once SC ends, I'd fully support a prequel spinoff about how he got to where he is.

Richard is hard to watch, but I wonder how much of it is acting. Have you ever seen the guy interviewed outside of the show? He's very much that way in real life.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:59:57 AM by Chino »

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Rankings? Eh. I love Dinesh, Gilfoyle and Jared.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Richard is hard to watch, but I wonder how much of it is acting. Have you ever seen the guy interviewed outside of the show? He's very much that way in real life.

I love when Russ Hanneman comes to the house and says to Richard something like, "Holy fuck, is that the way you really talk?" And Richard does this weird mumbly blinky stutter thing, and it makes you wonder if he's just a great actor or a total fucking weirdo.

Online Kattoelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »
Gilfoyle (cool and funny)
Jared (funny)
Jian-Yang (funny, wiseass, sometimes unsure if I love or hate him)
Erlich (funny; a character I love to hate)
Laurie Bream (love her for being so matter of fact)
Dinesh (occasionally pretty funny if annoying)
Monica (I just like her)
Richard (weird)
Gavin Belson (annoying and uninteresting)
Big Head (he's just kind of there)

Everyone else I'm not crazy about. Russ annoyed the heck out of me, Denpok isn't one I ever think about, and I actually don't remember much about Barker.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
I asked a friend what he thought the director told the actor about how he wants Jian Yang to be played. His response was, "Offensive and confusing."  :lol