Author Topic: Why are sci-fi and superhero movies by far the highest grossing movies?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline WildRanger

Avengers: Endgame and Avatar are two highest-grossing movies of all time.
Why the sci-fi/superhero film genre attracts such mass audiences? What would you say?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Why are sci-fi and superhero movies by far the highest grossing movies?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:48:40 AM »
Endgame is because it was cool af.

Avatar because Chino is way too obsessed.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:24:30 AM »
I don't know.

But, I never got into Comic Books. Only watched the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons as a kid. I'm not into it and dont have a need to watch the movies at all.

Could be people wanting to join in the hype and conversations they'd feel left out of?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
I think there's that 'fantastical' element to sci-fi, superhero movies or just normal action movies that plays into the escapism element of going to the cinema.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:09:03 PM »
Escapism still has to be reasonably well written in order to draw an audience.  (unless you already have an established brand like Star Wars where people are going to see the movie regardless because the fans feel like they have to at least SEE the thing before they can blow it to shreds)

IMO, the MCU has done an amazing job so far of providing very well written stories that further lend themselves to a larger story contained in the first 20 or so movies.     So on that level, it's just a matter of Marvel consistently giving the movie going public high quality product.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
Because we have reached the point where you can make fantasy look almost real. It's cool to watch something as monumental as the Titanic sinking, so how about an entire planet being blown to shreds?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »
Here's a potboiler for you:  Because we as humans need to bond with other humans, and in our hyper-partisan age, with politics, religion and sexuality becoming increasingly volatile issues, it's the remaining bastion of inclusiveness.  We all read comic books.  We all watched cartoons.  I'd include things like Game of Thrones in this conversation as well (though it's not a movie).   It's the kind of thing you can talk about at the water cooler without being deemed a racist or bigot (by your Democrat/liberal friends) or a commie or bleeding heart (by your Republican/conservative friends).   

It's a detachment from an increasingly isolationist society (I also would say something similar about a lot of the nonsense - challenges, memes - you see on social media). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
I'd include things like Game of Thrones in this conversation as well

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:09:57 PM »
Here's a potboiler for you:  Because we as humans need to bond with other humans, and in our hyper-partisan age, with politics, religion and sexuality becoming increasingly volatile issues, it's the remaining bastion of inclusiveness.  We all read comic books.  We all watched cartoons.  I'd include things like Game of Thrones in this conversation as well (though it's not a movie).   It's the kind of thing you can talk about at the water cooler without being deemed a racist or bigot (by your Democrat/liberal friends) or a commie or bleeding heart (by your Republican/conservative friends).   

It's a detachment from an increasingly isolationist society (I also would say something similar about a lot of the nonsense - challenges, memes - you see on social media).

Huh? I am one of like 2 people I know in real life that reads comics or watched these kinds of cartoons. Yet I'm one of a ton of people I know that love these movies.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »
Good point. "Comic book movies" (good ones, anyway) transcend the genre of the "comic book." Star Wars was such a hit in 1977 not because people were in love with Sci-Fi but because it was so much more than a Sci-Fi film. You could enjoy it without having had any exposure to Flash Gordon, Kurosawa, Saturday afternoon serials, or anything else that inspired it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:50:23 PM »
Well, I didn't mean reading comic books NOW, I meant as kids.  Sure, maybe "Ant-Man" might be a little obscure, but everyone had SOME exposure to Superman/Batman/Spiderman/The Hulk. 

I don't think you can narrowly define "sci-fi/superhero"; I'd extend that to any film that asks you to suspend disbelief for two hours.

Top Ten movies from 2019:
Avengers: Endgame. $858.3 Million.
The Lion King. $543.6 Million.
Toy Story 4. $434 Million.
Frozen II. $430.1 Million.
Captain Marvel. $426.8 Million.
Spider-Man: Far From Home. $390.5 Million.
Star Wars: Episode IX. $362.1 Million
Aladdin. $355.5 Million.
Joker. $333.4 Million.
It: Chapter 2. $211.5 Million

Contrast:
Bombshell. $15.6 Million (Budget: $30 Million)
Richard Jewell. $16 Million (Budget: $45 Million)

Bombshell was a no-brainer:  Charlize Theron!  MARGOT ROBBIE!  #MeToo!  Fox News!   Pfffft.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
Because people like me will pay good money to see their boy Spider-man on the big screen every single time.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
Because they’re awesome?

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 06:40:28 AM »
Well, I didn't mean reading comic books NOW, I meant as kids.  Sure, maybe "Ant-Man" might be a little obscure, but everyone had SOME exposure to Superman/Batman/Spiderman/The Hulk. 

But those are very different things. Having some exposure to those characters is likely due to toys/tshirts/tv/movies etc. Most adults or teens or whatever now didn't read comics as kids either.

It's not a big point, but most people are familiar with these characters in the most broad sense possible. They know what they look like, a general idea of their powers, and that they're cool. That's about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 07:19:01 AM »

But those are very different things. Having some exposure to those characters is likely due to toys/tshirts/tv/movies etc. Most adults or teens or whatever now didn't read comics as kids either.

It's not a big point, but most people are familiar with these characters in the most broad sense possible. They know what they look like, a general idea of their powers, and that they're cool. That's about it.

And that's all that matters for my "theory".  A general understanding.   Go to your office water cooler and say "Hey, saw the new Batman film last night."  and you've got the majority of people at least pointing in the same direction as you in terms of what was watched, what it probably involved, and at least a level of engagement (even if it's "man, I hate Batman.  What's with the codpiece?").   Say "Hey, saw the Roger Ailes film last night", and what's the next line?   "Margot Robbie has nice boobies"?   #MeToo.   "Wow that Fox News, they're awesome/felons on wheels"?    #HostileWorkEnvironment (or #SpoilerAlert  #PoliticalConversationAtWork")?

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »
S: Hey that Endgame movie was dope yo!

A: Yea...I loved that shot of A-Force

S: NO! WE ARE BEING FORCE FED LIBERAL FEMINIST POLITICS AND IT'S DESTROYING WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A MAN IN WHITE AMERICA

A: So...Trump, huh?

S: Yea..what a dick.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:28:12 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 09:11:26 AM »
Spectacle, visual effects, good story.

People go to movies for an adventure/message and non-fiction movies usually only appeal to a small % of the population. This I am just speculating, but you are more likely to get repeat-viewers in big films like Avengers Endgame or Avatar just because of the visual effects, generating more revenue.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 09:17:23 AM »

I legit spent close to $200 on tickets when Avatar was in theaters.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »

FFS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
Hef, you shouldn't be surprised about that. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 05:53:58 PM »
I still haven't seen Avatar.

But to answer the question: because they're fun.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 06:04:47 AM »

FFS

I brought dates to 5 or 6 of my viewings, and 3D Imax was like $15.50 per at the time.