Author Topic: Damn You Penny Dreadful  (Read 1626 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Damn You Penny Dreadful
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
In case you haven't caught it yet, the new 10-part series, Penny Dreadful, on Showtime (US), SKY (UK) I think, holds promise. My problem is I don't have time for another series. Then again, many of my favorite shows are wrapping up their current seasons, so I guess I have time after all. So far after two episodes, I'm not sure how I feel about the series. I was hoping for maybe more of an American Horror Story (first season) terror; and we might still get that; but so far it's like watching a redux of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. But in reality, that's actually okay with me. I actually can't wait to see how things progress on this show. Unless it goes downhill fast, I'll be sucked into the 10 -part story line. If you haven't yet, give it a whirl, if for no other reason than you get to look at Eva Green and Billie Piper...a lot; which isn't such a bad thing. The ending of the second episode was creepy fun and unexpected. Anyone else catch this show yet? Thoughts?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Damn You Penny Dreadful
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »
Damn you Temp!  I say the same thing about my TV viewing.  We are so behind and my DVR is full but I saw the preview and want to watch it.  I've got too much work in the house! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »
I was thinking of giving it a whirl. Looks like I might have to now. Who needs sleep anyway, right? I'm in the same boat...trying to limit my Tv viewing but can't seem to cut the cord.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
It looks great, but I don't have Showtime.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:38:47 AM »
I caught the first episode. A bit lackluster for me, but I don't give up that easy. I waited quite awhile to see this show so I shall give it a fair chance. I have a 4 episode rule if its something I was really interested in going into it. So if after 4 I am not impressed its bye bye.

I will watch episode 2 soon.

The last show I was looking forward to based on the commercials was "Believe"
I watched the first 4 episodes and said...wow, this show blows. Talk about a show with a good premise that went absolutely no where! but that's off topic. Just making a point...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
I just caught up on this show, just in time for the season 2 finale next week. I have really enjoyed this show so far. It may not be up there with the all-time greats, but it's still a very entertaining series with likable characters and interesting plot lines. And I do love Eva Green.

I noticed this thread hasn't been posted in for a long time. Has anyone else here been keeping up?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »
I watch this.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »
yep, I've been on it from day 1.  The character turn of Lily has been quite fun to watch.

A couple of funny things from the last episode:

Ethan handing Mr. Lyle that tiny gun

Dorian Gray telling Lily that he's "held balls" in that room.  I'm sure he has.  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
I thought finale was great! I really liked how the mandatory action took place mostly in the beginning, leaving the rest of the episode to some really interesting stuff.

Also, I'm in love with Hecate.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
I felt like the disposal of lucifer and the main witch was pretty anti-climactic.  Seemed like a lot of build up this season for them to be dispatched that easily.  And all you had to do was shoot the nightwalker thingies??

The back and forth between the plights of Malcolm and Frankenstein was well done I thought.  And how creepy is the Dorian/Lily entente?  Their scene with Frankenstein was awesome.

Poor Sembene!  I really liked that character and was hoping he would be featured more in the future, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen now.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
I thought the main witch dying was pretty cool, screaming 'noo, nooo while turning old. And I don't think Lucifer is really gone, hell just find a new way to get to her. Like he said, she needed to give up to him willingly. She didn't do that, so there was really nothing he could do right now.

How about the lore? I'm a bit confused on how it works. What I understand is that there are two main bad guys behind the scenes. There's Lucifer (who was the one the nightcomers served, and I guess the one who were trying to possess Vanessa in the second to last episode last season, as well as the one who appears to her sometimes), and then Lucifer's 'brother', who is apparently the one who captured Mina and sent those vampire things last season. Is that anyone elses view of it too?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
And all you had to do was shoot the nightwalker thingies??
I'm fairly sure that was only possible because Lucifer had gone.

Decent finale, but I can't really say I'm loving the show. It's alright, but it feels like it's really lacking something.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
Just started watching S01 and after one episode i'm intrigued. Fun seeing Timothy Dalton, can't remember the last time I saw him in something.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 12:23:16 AM »
And season 3 just returned with a solid first episode. I meant to post something monday, but I forgot about it.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »
Saw season 3 premiere last night. Very good
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
Season 3 ended sunday and with it the entire show. I must say that the finale, while it had some strong scenes, was a bit of a let down.