Author Topic: The last “great” album was.....  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The last “great” album was.....
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »
The problem with that, too, is why do older people matter more as far as having to know someone? 

Think if this way: ask 100 people under 30 who Beyonce, Justin Beiber or Taylor Swift are, and most or all will have at least heard of them.  Then ask the same people if they know who Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton or The Who, and you will probably get a lot of blank stares. 

This is why I no longer think Stairway to Heaven is the most popular rock song ever, like it was considered for many years.  The opinions of younger folks, like it or not, are a factor here when talking about widespread appeal and popularity, and I feel that songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and Don't Stop Believin' have both surpassed it as far as popularity across all ages go.  My niece (who is 14) and nephew (who is 16) both know both of those songs, and I am pretty sure they have no clue who Led Zeppelin is or what Stairway to Heaven is.

Granted, my data set IS a pool of three - my daughter and two of her friends - but I'm going to respectfully, gently push back on this.  My kid - and the rest of the data set  - DO know Stairway.  We joked about it when she went to her first dance and they played it as the last song.  Get that:  the song that they traditionally played at my middle school/high school dance (1979- 1985) is STILL being played, in the 2010's, as the last song at school dances.   Contrast that with the thread here, where i posted a week or so ago, talking about "trying new music" and the general consensus was "I don't have time, there's too much music now, I'm going to stick with the tried and true." 

They do, too, know BoRhap and DSB, but I think that just means they are all of a group.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2021, 07:55:49 AM »
Someone in the thread mentioned that mainstream music used to have a separate "second rung" of alt artists who would still get successful and as someone who was the prime targeted demographic, I can't tell you *exactly* how it all went pre-internet because I'm assuming things were big in America never made it all the way across, but it is true. After hearing Avril and Linkin Park and Eminem, it was rare that people didn't make a stop between in metal before moving on to other genres of alternative music or going back to mainstream listening habits, but absolutely no metal band made it to the "your mom knows it" alt music podium in the 2000's or later except for Linkin Park. The very last time I remember alt music being relevant before this second rung fell out - I'm guessing it might be coming back with Billie Eilish - and the last album I'm going to nominate for the last great album with some cultural appeal and influence that wasn't a major pop album, is Arctic Monkeys' AM in 2013.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2021, 08:42:18 AM »
The problem with that, too, is why do older people matter more as far as having to know someone? 

Think if this way: ask 100 people under 30 who Beyonce, Justin Beiber or Taylor Swift are, and most or all will have at least heard of them.  Then ask the same people if they know who Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton or The Who, and you will probably get a lot of blank stares. 

This is why I no longer think Stairway to Heaven is the most popular rock song ever, like it was considered for many years.  The opinions of younger folks, like it or not, are a factor here when talking about widespread appeal and popularity, and I feel that songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and Don't Stop Believin' have both surpassed it as far as popularity across all ages go.  My niece (who is 14) and nephew (who is 16) both know both of those songs, and I am pretty sure they have no clue who Led Zeppelin is or what Stairway to Heaven is.

Granted, my data set IS a pool of three - my daughter and two of her friends - but I'm going to respectfully, gently push back on this.  My kid - and the rest of the data set  - DO know Stairway.  We joked about it when she went to her first dance and they played it as the last song.  Get that:  the song that they traditionally played at my middle school/high school dance (1979- 1985) is STILL being played, in the 2010's, as the last song at school dances.   Contrast that with the thread here, where i posted a week or so ago, talking about "trying new music" and the general consensus was "I don't have time, there's too much music now, I'm going to stick with the tried and true." 

They do, too, know BoRhap and DSB, but I think that just means they are all of a group.
My youngest (18 yo) of course loves a lot of modern music that I don't know (although she has introduced me to a lot), but is definitely a fan of older music like Queen, Journey, Zeppelin, Bowie, and one of her favorite bands is actually ELO.  She even has a soft spot in her heart for 70s/80s country lol.

Lots of kids her age definitely are aware of and love older music. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.