Author Topic: Trying to get into Death Metal  (Read 3362 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Trying to get into Death Metal
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2021, 01:08:24 PM »
Death Metal albums I've been spinning this week due to this thread -

Deicide - The Best of Deicide
Nocturnus - The Key
Morbid Angel - Alters of Madness
Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined
Carnage - Dark Recollections
In Flames - Lunar Strain
Atheist - Jupiter
Fleshgod Apocalypse - King
Nocturnus - Thresholds
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race

I've added more to this list over the last few days:

Obituary - The End Complete
Obituary - Xecutioner's Return
Gorod - Aethra
Morbid Angel - Abominations of Desolation
Obscura - Akroasis

:metal

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2021, 07:32:26 AM »
This thread inspired me to go back to some bands that I've always dismissed, namely Deicide and Morbid Angel.   I always wrote Deicide off as a band too similar to Cannibal Corpse (who I completely hate).  I just can't get into CC, and I knew that Deicide came from the same scene, yet lyrically went with Satanism vs. gore. 

I checked out some Deicide last week and then the other day, I sampled every single album they own, starting with the first four (Deicide, Legion, Once Upon the Cross, Serpents of the Light) and Stench of Redemption.  That band just blew me away!  There are some really strong albums in their history, with some insane and badass riffs.

As for Morbid Angel, I had Covenant about 20 years ago and didn't care for it at all, eventually selling it   I started with Altars of Madness this time, using Metal Archives as a guide to see which records had the highest ratings.  That album is absolutely killer!  I have the first four albums of theirs to check out (through Domination) and then the first two Steve Tucker albums.  After that, the ratings seem to drop off, so I don't think I need any albums beyond those.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2021, 01:06:17 AM »
Yea I've been totally the same. My older brother was a big Morbid Angel fan but don't think he ever really listened to Deicide. I've been playing so much death metal this last week. Old, new and loads in between!

Outside of a few bands who I listen to fairly consistently, I definitely have to be in the right mood for straight up death metal. Currently spinning Breeding the Spawn by Suffocation! Planning to pretty much go through At the Gates and Carcass's backcatalogue over the weekend  :metal
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:27:39 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline bobzor

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2021, 09:14:34 AM »

As for Morbid Angel, I had Covenant about 20 years ago and didn't care for it at all, eventually selling it   I started with Altars of Madness this time, using Metal Archives as a guide to see which records had the highest ratings.  That album is absolutely killer!  I have the first four albums of theirs to check out (through Domination) and then the first two Steve Tucker albums.  After that, the ratings seem to drop off, so I don't think I need any albums beyond those.

Myself, I stop at Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, which is actually my favorite album of theirs. After that, it's pretty much hit and miss. There are some good moments on Gateways to Annihilation and Heretic, the former being very straight forward in its expression while the latter being filled with weird interludes and shit. I guess hardcore fans go for these two as well. The David Vincent comeback album, that is Illud Divinum Insanus, is generally viewed as a turd so probably a good idea to stay away from that one. The latest album seems pretty uninteresting.

All in all quite a diverse and interesting discography. Altars of Madness is of course awesome, but Blessed Are The Sick suffers from poor sound quality in my opinion. The songs are there, but the guitars are ultra dry and the album doesn't breathe at all. Covenant is classic material of course with the epic God of Emptiness as closer, while Domination is a bit of an oddball for me. Some decent stuff on there as well as far as I remember.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2021, 03:50:23 PM »
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness is an absolute classic. One of the great death metal albums. I actually love the first 4 Morbid Angel albums but I get the issues with the production especially on Blessed are the Sick but the songs are there. I recommend checking out the live album Entangled in Chaos. It is kind of a greatest hits of the first 4 albums and to me is a more definitive version of some of the classic songs where the production lacks on the original albums.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2021, 04:58:30 AM »
Following up on the OP, and I've just listened to In Flames debut for the second time. It's a really solid album, and as far as I can remember, it's the only time the band have dabbled in folk metal? I really dig it.

Continuing my death metal kick by going through Bolt Thrower's catalogue  :metal

Offline TM172003

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2021, 09:14:05 AM »
If you haven’t already, try Revocation’s most recent album. That’s my favourite death metal album at the moment.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »
If you haven’t already, try Revocation’s most recent album. That’s my favourite death metal album at the moment.

I've added all.of Revocation's albums to my death metal playlist, so I will be getting to it and some point  :corn

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2021, 01:40:47 PM »
Taking advantage of the subject, debut song by a new Brazilian band (with a Dutch guitarist): Crypta.

Death + Black + Thrash + melodies

I liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTZW_qrc4Ic

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2021, 01:44:41 PM »
Taking advantage of the subject, debut song by a new Brazilian band (with a Dutch guitarist): Crypta.

I liked.

I am stupid. I pasted the guitar playthrough link.  :biggrin:

The correct one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYn45PfdcY   :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2021, 01:45:06 PM »

I liked.

Nice, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Currently spinning Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »
If y'all would like to jump in the deep end, my favorite Death Metal album of all time is an album called Evenefris by a band called Lykathea Aflame. It's mostly Technical/Brutal Death Metal, with lots of progressive and grindcore tendencies. It basically gives you a little bit of everything that you could want in Death Metal, imo....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2021, 02:07:38 AM »
I'll definitely check it out pups. It's not on Spotify apparently but I'll YouTube it I guess.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2021, 06:56:58 AM »
That's a cool suggestion, I enjoy that one too occsionally, though it's a bit on the long side.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2021, 03:08:03 AM »
If you enjoy melodic death, I highly recommend the self-titled debut album of Wintersun (which is melodic death with a bunch of power/symphonic metal elements). And if you like that, the first two folk-metal albums of Ensiferum are great as well and have plenty of melodic death elements in it.