Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 58169 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #700 on: May 25, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
I think all teams need a guy like Green who is willing to get down and dirty.  His skills are at a high level as well.  I'd want him on the C's.

For me it was him calling a player who isn't dirty, in another division a little dumb.  When you play like he does you shouldn't call out others for the things you do.  The problem with Green and so many other pro players is that they live in this sports bubble.  It's a weird life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #701 on: May 25, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »
The problem with Green and so many other pro players is that they live in this sports bubble.  It's a weird life.

Bingo. It has GOT to be strange, for sure. I think it all changed once pro athletes really embraced the "entertainer" part of what they do. When they were just out playing and getting a paycheck, it was what it was. Now, everyone has to build up their "brand," and be "on" for media. Some of these guys are completely different people. But they want you to THINK they are a particular way.

Goes with musicians too, to a degree. Any famous person, I guess.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #702 on: May 25, 2017, 11:28:28 AM »
For me it was him calling a player who isn't dirty, in another division a little dumb.  When you play like he does you shouldn't call out others for the things you do. 

I'll give you "dumb."  But keep in mind that he did NOT say he isn't.  And he did make, IMO, and important distinction between how he plays and how Olynyk plays.  His point was that the moves Olynyk pulls are likely to result in injury to other players, which has actually happened, and he was saying that that is crossing the line.  Whether or not you agree with his assessment of Olynyk's play, I think that is a valid distinction.  But granted that, yeah, it does seem dumb coming from the mouth of someone who makes no bones about pushing the envelope himself.  I just think the distinction he made gets lost in all that (as does the fact that he was responding to a question, and not going out of his way to just slam another player out of the blue).

The problem with Green and so many other pro players is that they live in this sports bubble.  It's a weird life.

For sure.  And musicians.  And actors.  Becoming a celebrity makes you unable to meaningfully deal with the real world, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: May 25, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
I don't remember if he was asked or just randomly gave his thoughts.  But i agree with what you said.  Olynyk only had that one instance with the separated shoulder with Kevin Love.  He's never been a tough player at all.  I wish he would play with an attitude like Green.  All teams need toughness.

Well, I guess tonight may be the last game for the C's.  I hope not.  I'd love to at least see a game 6.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #704 on: May 25, 2017, 11:54:51 AM »
Well, they are back in Boston, so maybe they'll feed off of that and make one last gasp.  Too bad they couldn't have stolen game 4 in Cleveland.  Even with the series tied and them coming back home, I would still have given the Cavs the edge in winning the series, but at least it would have been interesting.  I do acknowledge that teams coming back from a 3-1 deficit deep in the playoffs happened TWICE last year.  But (no offense) the C's just aren't as talented as either of those two teams were.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: May 25, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »
No I agree.  they are not talented enough.  They've got a lot of grit but not the superstar player to put them over the top.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #706 on: May 25, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
Is this a replay of game 2?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #707 on: May 26, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #708 on: May 26, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
:clap:

Participation banner?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: May 26, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
 :lol

This isn't Indy Tim! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #711 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »

Of course it could be worse:

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: May 26, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
lololololol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #714 on: May 30, 2017, 09:41:57 PM »
No Finals chatter, eh?

I will say this: the pressure is squarely on the shoulders of Kevin Durant.  The Warriors have to win this series, and he has to play well. 

By all accounts, the Warriors should win this series, but the Cavs have the best player in basketball, are the better 3-point shooting team this year, and will be playing more loose and free (as a big underdog).  I think GS will win it, but I won't be surprised by any result.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #715 on: May 30, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »
No Finals chatter, eh?

Kinda hard to be 'in the mood', when the first three rounds have been such a bore.

I will say this: the pressure is squarely on the shoulders of Kevin Durant.  The Warriors have to win this series, and he has to play well. 

Agreed.  He is literally the only meaningful difference this year.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #716 on: May 31, 2017, 06:44:35 AM »
I am excited for the Finals, but I'm trying to stay cautious. There's a chance it could be a real blowout. For example, I just read an ESPN article that said the Warriors' point differential this postseason is about six points per one hundred possessions better than the Cavs' after factoring in the quality of competition, injuries, rotations, etc.

That's massive. That's like one seed versus eight seed massive. I think that a six game series is a moral victory for Cleveland. If they actually win the series, then LeBron pulls within striking distance of Jordan's throne.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: May 31, 2017, 07:53:09 AM »
I have high expectations for the series. Given the talent level of both teams, and looking at their strengths and weaknesses, I feel pretty strongly it is going to be a hotly-contested 7-game series. There may be one game that's a blowout, if the Warriors get extremely hot from distance. But as long as that doesn't happen in a close-out game, I think it'll come down to the final shot in game 7, and who has it. Should be fun. I am looking forward to it (if it ever gets underway -- the long delay and all this downtime is stupid).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: May 31, 2017, 08:01:30 AM »
I'm not sure I'm very interested in the finals. While I recognize it will be a fantastic matchup of two amazingly good teams, the fact that this was foreseeable since the start of the season has made me lose some interest. I was way more excited about the Spurs/Warriors series than this to be honest. And there's also the fact that the games start a little too late for me during weekdays.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #719 on: May 31, 2017, 08:24:31 AM »
I will say this: the pressure is squarely on the shoulders of Kevin Durant. 

Agreed.  After the move he made, all eyes are squarely on him.  And I may catch some flak for saying this, but:  From watching him in playoffs past, I kind of feel like as talented as he is, he isn't a great "clutch" player under pressure.  But that said, I think the environment he is in will help with that.  Not that OKC were slouches, but I just don't feel like there was anyone to really take the pressure off of him and help him deal with it.  Westbrook certainly commands the spotlight and takes some of the focus off of other players, but that isn't really the same thing.  Golden State is a completely different environment, and I think the way they play and are coached will take some of the pressure off of him, or at least help him deal with it.

That said:

The Warriors have to win this series, and he has to play well.

???  What do you mean, "has to?"  Or what?  He'll be sad?

By all accounts, the Warriors should win this series, but the Cavs have the best player in basketball, are the better 3-point shooting team this year, and will be playing more loose and free (as a big underdog).  I think GS will win it, but I won't be surprised by any result.

Not sure about the "loose and free" part.  I actually wouldn't be surprised if they are feeling the pressure of being the champs and come out pretty tense and error-prone because of it.  But otherwise, yeah, I agree.  Should be a good series.  I'm just bummed that I am going to miss game 1.

I'm not sure I'm very interested in the finals. While I recognize it will be a fantastic matchup of two amazingly good teams, the fact that this was foreseeable since the start of the season has made me lose some interest. I was way more excited about the Spurs/Warriors series than this to be honest. And there's also the fact that the games start a little too late for me during weekdays.

Interesting.  Why is the fact that this series was forseeable a bummer for you?  I'm having trouble understanding why that should be an issue.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: May 31, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »

Interesting.  Why is the fact that this series was forseeable a bummer for you?  I'm having trouble understanding why that should be an issue.

I guess I'm disappointed that things turned out to be exactly as they were laid out and that bums me out. I was very eagerly expecting for a surprise here, maybe not that these teams were beaten but at the very least that someone would give them a run for their money and that didn't happen. That makes me realize that this will be the theme for at least 2 more years which again, bums me out and makes me lose interest in the NBA as a whole.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #721 on: May 31, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
I guess what I was trying to get at is, is it ONLY the predictability factor that bums you out, or is it that combined with the fact that it isn't teams you are all that interested in?  I just don't get it if it is ONLY predictability.  As long as it is a good matchup and teams that are fun to watch (and I believe this matchup meets both of those criteria), I don't see predictability as much of an issue.  I'm not saying you shouldn't feel that way.  Just talking through my own views on the subject.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 31, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
Yeah, I get that. Watching the warriors play is super fun, they move the ball around masterfully and play the kind of team game that I enjoy the most. Maybe it's a matter that I don't like where the league is right now. I've been following the league all year wide and watched tons of games, even in the playoffs but again, I just don't feel any thrill for what's coming. And you might be right, the fact that the Spurs aren't there might also be bumming me out a little more, the fact that I already feel satisfied having watched Manu play his last game might also be affecting me. So yeah, it's probably not just the predictability factor, but I think that's the biggest thing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #723 on: May 31, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
Makes sense.  Other than the fact that a prolonged WCC would have meant less rest for the Warriors, I wish they could have played San Antonio at full strength.  It would have made for a great series.  But selfishly, because Cleveland had such a cake-walk in the playoffs, I was happy to have the San Antonio series over early so Cleveland wouldn't get such a huge rest advantage.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #724 on: May 31, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
No Finals chatter, eh?

I feel like the finals should be over by now. This layoff has drained any interest I might have in it. Obviously I'm watching hockey, but I'm kind of onto baseball now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #725 on: May 31, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »

I think that a six game series is a moral victory for Cleveland. If they actually win the series, then LeBron pulls within striking distance of Jordan's throne.

I think most agree that James is already within distance of the throne, many of the dissenters being people who dislike James and will never give him credit no matter what.
No Finals chatter, eh?

I feel like the finals should be over by now. This layoff has drained any interest I might have in it. Obviously I'm watching hockey, but I'm kind of onto baseball now.

This long of a layoff is definitely stupid, but once the games begin, interest shall rise again.  :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #726 on: May 31, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »
Basketball is my #4 sport anyway. I've really only watched the games because my 14 y/o is really into it. We've had a lot of fun watching together.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #727 on: May 31, 2017, 06:49:37 PM »
That's cool. :hat

It's a distant number 3 for me now, behind hockey and football.  Baseball has plummeted to where I am not even sure I can say it's number 4 anymore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #728 on: May 31, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
I'm still a baseball guy.  Hockey easily #1 though.

Football is a distant #3.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #729 on: May 31, 2017, 07:12:02 PM »
The NBA Marketing team has been busy talking up this year's Finals, lol... they put it something like this is the only finals with the BEST winning percentages between the two teams leading up to Game 1 (GS 12-0, Cle 12-1), 3 MVPs (Curry, LBJ and KD), 7 All-star players and then something else I forgot, lol.  In a way they ain't wrong, and I also feel bad for them for thinking up ways to talk up these Finals, when the playoffs have been more or less boring...  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: June 01, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »
Well, here we go. Should be a fun series.

I really think the NBA and NHL should be done before Memorial Day, and shouldn't reconvene until after Labor Day. I get the business reasons behind extending everything, but it's just a turnoff as a fan.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: June 01, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »
Taking Cleveland in 7 again. Here's hoping...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #732 on: June 01, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
I'd rather see Cavs in 6 so Cleveland gets a title win on their home court.

However, I think GS just has too much firepower. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #733 on: June 01, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
Dubs in 5... maybe...  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #734 on: June 01, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
Points in paint : Cavs 16 / Warriors 42 in the first half... and the Cavs keep leaving KD open... But I bet the Cavs will adjust and won't leave KD open in the second half as much. Klay must step up... Shooting 2 for 10 is crappy like Korver, lol.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,