Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 58029 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #595 on: May 14, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
The tricky thing about the MVP Award is that the NBA intentionally leaves its criteria up to interpretation. Should the award go to the player who is most likely the best (LeBron)? Should it go to the player whose team relies on him the most offensively (Westbrook)? Should it go to the best player on the best team (Curry)?

I personally think that the award would be most historically significant if it simply went to the guy who was the most outstanding during the regular season.

One problem is that some of the voters are complete doofuses.  Case in point: Chris Broussard.  He was on Colin Cowherd's show near the end of the regular season, where Cowherd gave a well-thought out and nuanced argument as to why James is more valuable than Westbrook, and Broussard's only response was literally, "Yeah, but a triple double!"  And that guy is an actual voter.  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: May 14, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »
GO SPURS GO

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: May 14, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
Well that sucked.

And why in the world is a conference final starting before a conference semifinal is ending?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #598 on: May 14, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
Yeah, that sucked, but it showed that the Warriors can be had.  I mean, the Spurs lost their best player and GS had to eke out a 2-point win at home in a game in which Curry and Durant both went bananas.  Oh, and the play where Leonard reinjured his ankle...that was obviously an attempt by their no-name center to get his foot in the area where Leonard was going to land.  Dirty play.  Laimbeer used to do it all the time.  I hate seeing crap like that.

Offline Cable

« Reply #599 on: May 14, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
I'm not huge into basketball anymore. Didn't this game, and last year, show that big bruising defense still win in the playoffs? GSW is great and fun and all, but the small lineup is able to be had when the game slows down so to speak. GSW is for sure is better than my comparison, but this team reminds of Phoenix back in the 90s and 00's. Known for scoring a lot, but gets slowed down in the playoffs.
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #600 on: May 14, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
Right, the Warriors lack of bigs is their achilles heel, but when it comes to rebounding, their style minimizes getting totally killed on the boards, since their missed 3s are often long rebounds where their guys who got boxed out because they are too small still get the rebounds.  That happened a ton of times today. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #601 on: May 14, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »
Just finished watching this game on the DVR about an hour ago. It was appalling how terrible they were pre-Kawhi injury. They showed decent resolve squeezing out a win that they basically played themselves out of for 28 minutes. Even with him out (on top of a still serviceable Tony Parker being out for the season), they still seemed to squander a lot of opportunities before finally going on that close-out run somewhere around the point where they trailed 92-81.

It definitely showed that having Kerr out is gonna be a huge-ass factor. If SA manages to steal game 2, GS will be in deep shit but all of this depends on how Kawhi's MRI goes.

At any rate, it was fun as fuck to see one of my preferred teams pull off a comeback like that, qualifiers and all.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #602 on: May 15, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
My beef wasn't on your defense of Green - I have no idea what the guy is like off the court, and I sure as hell know that players that are hated can be great people.  However, your shot at Josh was completely bush-league and uncalled for - especially coming from THE mod.

I wouldn't really call it a "defense."  I'm not trying to "defend" him, and he doesn't need me to "defend" him (as if any NBA player needs that from a casual fan).  Just pointing that that the "facts" pointed out about him are just completely devoid of being factual.  And that is only relevant because he was referred to as a POS by someone who wished him to "suffer a career-ending injury."  So, sorry you feel it is "bush league" to call out someone for wishing a "career-ending injury" on someone, but I don't.  I think it's pretty disgusting to wish that on somebody, and that very thing has been called out in other sports-related threads as well.  So, yeah, I think your criticism is off base and I stand by feeling that that sort of reaction is completely disgusting, not to mention ill-informed when it is based on misinformation.

But on to more relevant and timely discussion...

Bosk1, we are finally getting the WCF that we've been waiting for. My Spurs. Your Warriors. The Klaw vs The Chef. Hope it's a great series  :tup The game deserves this match up

Game 1 did not disappoint in terms of being exciting and full of incredible twists and turns.  I feel SO bad for San Antonio fans about Kawhi though.  Dude is so much fun to watch, and just seems like he has ice flowing through his veins.  Reminds me of when Curry went down twice with ankle and knee injuries last year.  It's tough to lose your best guy and then wonder "what if" when things don't go well after that.  Hope he recovers soon.

I'll also say, the resilience of this team amazes me.  I thought they were going to limp into Oakland and get beat pretty bad in game 1.  They came out on fire.  And there were so many moments in this game where other teams would have folded, by they just kept answering back and fighting.  For any other team, I think losing 20+ point leads to the Warriors twice in such a short span of time would be a dagger through the heart that would suck the life out of them.  But I don't expect the Spurs to fold at all.  I think the series goes 5 games, but is going to be hard-fought all the way through. 

The tricky thing about the MVP Award is that the NBA intentionally leaves its criteria up to interpretation. Should the award go to the player who is most likely the best (LeBron)? Should it go to the player whose team relies on him the most offensively (Westbrook)? Should it go to the best player on the best team (Curry)?

I personally think that the award would be most historically significant if it simply went to the guy who was the most outstanding during the regular season.

One problem is that some of the voters are complete doofuses.  Case in point: Chris Broussard.  He was on Colin Cowherd's show near the end of the regular season, where Cowherd gave a well-thought out and nuanced argument as to why James is more valuable than Westbrook, and Broussard's only response was literally, "Yeah, but a triple double!"  And that guy is an actual voter.  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Kev, I get where you are coming from, especially on voters being doofuses.  Now, I don't know anything about Broussard, and I didn't see the segment you are referring to.  But why is that point not valid?  I mean, yeah, triple-doubles alone may not say anything.  And, in fact, a single player getting triple-doubles left and right might actually be indicative of a style of play that is detrimental to his team.  But the fact that he is the first guy to average that stat through an entire season is monumental.  It shows a level of consistently high play that, IMO, absolutely puts Westbrook in the discussion.  I'm not saying that should make him a shoe-in or that other players' accomplishments are secondary.  But I don't see why it isn't a valid discussion point. 

Taking the entire season up through sweeping the first two rounds in the playoffs, yeah, I might put LBJ at #1 in the MVP race too.  But as of the end of the season when it was decided, it's easy to see why he was probably around #3 in the voting given that he had not been playing particularly well since the all-star break, and that his team took a nosedive and gagged away the #1 seed despite having a commanding lead for that spot.  Meanwhile, Harden and Westbrook were transcending and carrying their respective teams.  I mean, I'm not trying to argue decisively for any particular candidate.  Just saying that I think voting for someone other than LBJ would have been perfectly legitimate.  It was a four horse race between Westbrook, Harden, James, and Leonard, and I wouldn't feel that the voters got it "wrong" if ANY of those guys wins it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #603 on: May 15, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
Just finished watching this game on the DVR about an hour ago. It was appalling how terrible they were pre-Kawhi injury. They showed decent resolve squeezing out a win that they basically played themselves out of for 28 minutes. Even with him out (on top of a still serviceable Tony Parker being out for the season), they still seemed to squander a lot of opportunities before finally going on that close-out run somewhere around the point where they trailed 92-81.

It definitely showed that having Kerr out is gonna be a huge-ass factor. If SA manages to steal game 2, GS will be in deep shit but all of this depends on how Kawhi's MRI goes.

At any rate, it was fun as fuck to see one of my preferred teams pull off a comeback like that, qualifiers and all.

I heard today that it was the 3rd biggest comeback in NBA playoff history, but thanks to the dirty play that took Leonard out, it has a big asterisk on it.  Too bad, cause this could have been a good, long series.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #604 on: May 15, 2017, 07:11:39 PM »
I had to cut my nails this morning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #605 on: May 15, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »
You need them for this game.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: May 15, 2017, 07:22:05 PM »
These refs shoul d be tested for drugs. I'm not even trying to be a homer. It's bad.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: May 15, 2017, 07:26:46 PM »
It is bad. It makes these games almost unwatchable. Smart didn't even touch the guy there.

There has to be something done about flopping.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: May 15, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
That was so glaring.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #609 on: May 15, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »
But it's not just tonight. It's every game. I'm not a basketball guy, but my 14 y/o loves it, so we've watched most of the last three seasons together. It's been nice. But the officiating totally blows. I understand stuff happens fast, but so many calls make zero sense. And as I said, the flopping is disgusting.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: May 15, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »
I expect touchy fouls in the NBA  it in game 7, don't affect the outcome of the game with ghost fouls.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #611 on: May 15, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
So true. Let them play.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
Its up to tgr Celtics now to outplay them and not allow the refs to affect the game.  No excuses.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #613 on: May 15, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
They are too soft to win this game.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: May 15, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
Let's be real.  It is a win to be slaughtered by LeBron but the C's need this win.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »
Alright C's you hit expectations.   Prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:52:32 PM by kingshmegland »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #616 on: May 15, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
 :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: May 15, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »
The G.O.A.T with Tom Brady? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #618 on: May 15, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
 :rollin

Who's afraid of curses?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: May 15, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »
That pic has been stored away for a while. :lol

Tim, do you know the story behind that picture?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #620 on: May 15, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »
Hell yes! That's the Durant trip.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: May 15, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
Sure is. So damn close.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: May 16, 2017, 08:59:50 AM »
Wow, Boston is in major trouble.  I mean, Indiana is as well.  But the difference is, I don't think many were really expecting them to do anything against the Cavs.  I don't think anyone was expecting Boston to be down 2 heading to Chicago.

This has been the standard the last 3 years for the C's.

They can't turn it up a notch in the playoffs while other teams can.  Not enough talent in their top 7 players.

I'm expecting someone here to say he was wrong...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #623 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »

I heard today that it was the 3rd biggest comeback in NBA playoff history, but thanks to the dirty play that took Leonard out, it has a big asterisk on it.  Too bad, cause this could have been a good, long series.

Interesting take.  I can't really disagree, since when the refs reviewed it, they assessed the tech/flagrant.  Oh, wait...  Well, what I mean is, I have to agree, since when the league subsequently reviewed it, they assessed the...oh, hmm, no, they didn't do that either.  Oh well.  I guess I'm fresh out of ideas for how to "asterisk" this one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: May 16, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
Wow, Boston is in major trouble.  I mean, Indiana is as well.  But the difference is, I don't think many were really expecting them to do anything against the Cavs.  I don't think anyone was expecting Boston to be down 2 heading to Chicago.

This has been the standard the last 3 years for the C's.

They can't turn it up a notch in the playoffs while other teams can.  Not enough talent in their top 7 players.

I'm expecting someone here to say he was wrong...

I'm glad to be but in all honesty they had to prove it to us C's fans.  They finally hit expectations.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: May 16, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »

I'm glad to be but in all honesty they had to prove it to us C's fans.  They finally hit expectations.
I wouldn't say "finally". The Celtics in the Stevens era have been meeting expectations right along. The only bump in the road was the 1st Round loss to Atlanta last year.

What the Celtics were really striving for this year was the to overtake Toronto and grab the #2 Seed, and to not only win R1, but beat anyone other than Cleveland or a healthy Toronto (who most fans still thought were better than Boston) in R2. They did that.

The only thing was that their potential to advance was really an unknown. Other than last year's playoff, the Celts have yet to take a step back. I would argue that they've been hitting expectations right along.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #626 on: May 16, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »
Congrats to C's fans.  Now do the unexpected.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: May 16, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
I would love that.

Tim, that was a huge letdown last year.  The expectations we all heard this year was conference championship.  I expect nothing this round but like bosk1 just said, I would love the unexpected.

Funny thing is the C's play well against the Warriors except for 1 blowout in 3 years I believe.

Offline PB1

« Reply #628 on: May 16, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
hold on a minute.....

are there seriously people ITT defending Green, saying that he isn't dirty?

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

wow..... just wow. Draymond green has been the dirtiest player in the league for the last few seasons, bar none. I hope more than anything that the spurs beat the warriors.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #629 on: May 16, 2017, 03:50:47 PM »
Childish response is childish.