Author Topic: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?  (Read 58060 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NBA thread 2016-17 v. The Age of The Land?
« Reply #525 on: May 03, 2017, 06:17:25 AM »
I think the Cavs will be a tall order. I don't see the Celtics getting by them.

And yes, posting like a homer, but Isaiah has been amazing. Apparently it was his sister's birthday yesterday.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #526 on: May 03, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
I think the Cavs will be a tall order. I don't see the Celtics getting by them.

Yeah, they will be.  But they are a far cry from perfect.  Lots of weaknesses that can be exploited.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #527 on: May 03, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »
I just think they're too strong. Especially if Lebron is engaged. Only team with a shot is GS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #528 on: May 03, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
I guess we'll see.  I don't see anyone stopping GS this time though, so even if the Cavs make the finals, I don't see this year ending well for them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #529 on: May 03, 2017, 09:17:46 AM »
On another note, I don't follow the Clippers when GS isn't handing them a beat down.  But I did see parts of some games against the Jazz.  Kinda confirmed what I already felt, which is that they are mostly a band of dirty players that don't know how to come together as a team.  Kind of the one possible exception that stands out to me is DeAndre Jordan.  When I see him on the court, I don't really see him doing the same types of dirty things you see Paul or Griffin, for example, doing.  Yeah, he is physical, and he plays hard and will make it hard on opposing players coming into his area, but I don't see him taking cheap shots.  He seems like he just puts his head down and works hard out there.  I think I kinda like him as a player from what I've seen.  Anyone pay much attention to him that can comment?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »
Sounds like Draymond Green would be a perfect fit on that team.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »
Your irrational hate, much like your point, makes no sense.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
This guy is killing it in the playoffs right now.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #533 on: May 03, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »
:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #534 on: May 03, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
This guy is killing it in the playoffs right now.

I saw that last night.

He has really been incredible.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #535 on: May 03, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
Isaiah is a man on a mission. I sincerely think there's no stopping the Cavs, but I will leave a door open for Boston because of this guy

Holy fuck did he look god-tier in the 4th and OT.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #536 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »
Updated predictions:

Boston over Washington in 5 or 6:  The Wizards play tough and have it in them to win some games, but with the Celtics now having a 2-0 lead, I don't see them winning 3 our of the next 4 and pushing it going to 7. 

Cleveland over Toronto in probably 5, maybe 6:  I'm not giving up on the Raptors, and I think the manner in which they lost game 1 was a bit of an aberration.  And the Cavs have holes.  But I just don't think Toronto has enough in them to exploit those holes enough to win more than 1 or 2 games. 

Warriors over Utah in 4, maybe 5:  Utah may likely take a game at home.  But I do not see them having enough to beat this team.  If they have a really good night where they shut down Curry and Thompson is cold, they still have KD, Green, and the bench to contend with.

Rockets over San Antonio in 6, maybe 7:  A couple of weeks ago, I would not have picked Houston.  But they have looked REALLY good in the playoffs, and San Antonio has looked flat overall for the last month or so.  Not sure what is going on with them.  But they will not go down without a fight, for sure.  And out of all the remaining series, this is the one where it would surprise me the least if my pick ended up being wrong.  But then again, this is the only series where I am picking the underdog, so take that for what it's worth.  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: May 03, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
Boston over Washington in 5 or 6:  The Wizards play tough and have it in them to win some games, but with the Celtics now having a 2-0 lead, I don't see them winning 3 our of the next 4 and pushing it going to 7. 

I have Boston in 6. The Wizards starting 5 is hard to match but their bench is probably the worst in these playoff. Other than Bogdanovic they don't have anyone that can have any impact.

Cleveland over Toronto in probably 5, maybe 6:  I'm not giving up on the Raptors, and I think the manner in which they lost game 1 was a bit of an aberration.  And the Cavs have holes.  But I just don't think Toronto has enough in them to exploit those holes enough to win more than 1 or 2 games. 

Cleveland in 4. That aberration you're talking about is exactly the same that they showed against the Bucks. Somehow this team added a couple of good players (Ibaka, Tucker) yet they have regressed from last season.

Warriors over Utah in 4, maybe 5:  Utah may likely take a game at home.  But I do not see them having enough to beat this team.  If they have a really good night where they shut down Curry and Thompson is cold, they still have KD, Green, and the bench to contend with.

I'm with you on this one, there's no chance for Utah at all.

Rockets over San Antonio in 6, maybe 7:  A couple of weeks ago, I would not have picked Houston.  But they have looked REALLY good in the playoffs, and San Antonio has looked flat overall for the last month or so.  Not sure what is going on with them.  But they will not go down without a fight, for sure.  And out of all the remaining series, this is the one where it would surprise me the least if my pick ended up being wrong.  But then again, this is the only series where I am picking the underdog, so take that for what it's worth

This one is hard. I have the Spurs on 6 but after that first game it's hard to see that happening. I think the Spurs have come to a point where they need to rebuild their team more than they are willing to if they want to keep winning. Kawhi is an MVP caliber player and LMA can be great and I have to say he's been a better defensive player that I've given him credit for, but they need to figure out the rest of the team. Parker has been very eclectic, danny green is not shooting as well as he used to and the bench is not as deep as it was in previous years. Plus the NBA has turned way too physical lately and players like Gasol & Ginobili while great during the season can't contribute much during the playoffs.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #538 on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
Your irrational hate, much like your point, makes no sense.

There's no way in the universe to unhypocritically call CP3/Griffin dirty while looking the other way on Green.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: May 03, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »
Re: Raptors, I agree with Bosk on the number of games the series will go.  Remember, they lost BAD in the Q last year for games 1&2, but then came back strong at home.  I don't think the Cavs will sweep, but I sure as shit don't see the Raptors winning this one. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #540 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:52 PM »
Great rebound from the Spurs. We were much more focused tonight.

I hope Tony Parkers knee injury isn't serious. If we get past Houston, we're gonna need him. I don't think he's coming back the rest of this series though

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #541 on: May 04, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
Tony Parker is out for the rest of the postseason with a torn quadricep tendon. He has been the second best player on the squad since the playoffs started.

I'm not sweating too much, since Patty Mills is a worthy replacement in the PG position. BUT....BUT...it's time for LA to show up and show the NBA why he got paid what he got paid coming to our team. I don't ever want to hear him complain ever again that he wasn't selected to be an All-Star when he's playing shitty.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #542 on: May 04, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »
Tony Parker is out for the rest of the postseason with a torn quadricep tendon. He has been the second best player on the squad since the playoffs started.
Man, sorry to hear that.  And the tendon...ouch!  Sucks to have something like that happen, especially when your team is a contender at the end like this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #543 on: May 04, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »
Bosk, isn't that supposed to be posted in green? ;D

Offline j

« Reply #544 on: May 04, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
I'm not sweating too much, since Patty Mills is a worthy replacement in the PG position. BUT....BUT...it's time for LA to show up and show the NBA why he got paid what he got paid coming to our team. I don't ever want to hear him complain ever again that he wasn't selected to be an All-Star when he's playing shitty.

Aldridge is underperforming, but...

1) I'm not sure he's completely healthy, and more importantly...

2) The Spurs have bigger problems, in that completely ineffective has-beens like Pau and Ginobili still get big minutes because their roster is so shallow.  Kawhi is the second best player in the league but he cannot do it himself.  Mills and Green are serviceable role players, and Lee shows up once in awhile, but beyond those guys they've got nothing.  Especially with Parker injured and Aldridge not being more of a threat.

Throw in the fact that the Rockets are a matchup problem for them, and I don't know that they can even make it to Golden State, let alone put up a fight.  And trust me, I'd really like to see them do it.

-J

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #545 on: May 04, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
I am trying to keep an open mind on Lonzo Ball for now. But, he'd better average a double-doubles AND winning games in his rookie season. Or else his dad would make him look even more foolish than he deserved.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: May 05, 2017, 06:21:16 AM »
I am trying to keep an open mind on Lonzo Ball for now. But, he'd better average a double-doubles AND winning games in his rookie season. Or else his dad would make him look even more foolish than he deserved.

Yeah, Lavar Ball could very easily mess his career, let's hope Lonzo and the other boys can somehow avoid any damage.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #547 on: May 05, 2017, 06:59:30 AM »
I have known many people with crazy parents, and I never envied them for it. Telling your parents to back down is a particularly difficult conversion.

Unfortunately for Lonzo, I think he's going to have to have that conversation and take control of his own affairs sooner rather than later. LaVar is beginning to do some serious damage to Lonzo's reputation and earning power.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: May 07, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »
Welp.  Lowry injury certainly didn't help.

Cavs are rolling. Hard to see either the Celtics or Wizards slowing them down.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #549 on: May 08, 2017, 06:09:53 AM »
If this is truly the end of the Derozan/Lowry era, then I will be sad to see it go. As frustrating a group as they've been, they made it to the "Final Four" last year and the "Elite Eight" this year. I don't think there's any shame in that, and it's also the best the franchise has ever been. I'm curious to see what happens now.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #550 on: May 08, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
So Lowry is opting out. Where is he going?

Cavs are rolling. Hard to see either the Celtics or Wizards slowing them down.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: May 09, 2017, 06:05:23 AM »
It's hard to say. The truth is his best option is to stay with the Raptors and hope Majiri can get some better role players. There aren't any contenders that can afford the kind of money he will be asking for except maybe the Celtics who don't need another point guard. I think he will either stay or maybe go to the Pelis if they're unable to keep Holiday. I can also see a scenario where he joins the Lakers if they're able to get Paul George but that is a long shot and would be too much of a risk.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #552 on: May 09, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
If the Rockets manage to win this game it'll be far and away the worst I've ever seen a team play and still beat the Spurs in a playoff game or at least since the 90s.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #553 on: May 09, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
That game was there for the taking, but they shit the bed in the last minute of OT.  Like it matters anyway, as the winner of that series is getting obliterated by Golden St.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #554 on: May 10, 2017, 12:37:50 AM »
It was so much more than just one game. They win that and they get an elimination game at home with a second chance in SA if not. Now they're done cuz there's no way in hell they're getting two in a row with coaching that terrible. Seriously, how the fuck do you waste at least 20 (maybe 30+) possessions by making it completely clear you're terrified of even the thought of moving the ball inside the arc? Mike D'Antoni was the Spurs' MVP tonight. This is also probably his last stop. I can't see even the most desperate of teams trusting him to make them a contender after 2 stints of underachievement with viable teams.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: May 10, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »
You guys hear Green at a press conference say Olynyk is a dirty player?  Doesn't he have better things to do than worry about another conference?  Too funny.  Oh, BTW.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #556 on: May 10, 2017, 04:11:50 PM »
Draymond Green is a fucking clown. We were watching some of the Warriors game the other night (G3 maybe) and it was ridiculous how he was acting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #557 on: May 10, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
I honestly think Green was trolling everyone. I mean, he can't be that dense as to not know what his reputation is. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: May 10, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
I think he's just plain nuts.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #559 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
Green thinks he is Rodman with a jumper...
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020