Poll

Vote for one!

RUSH
12 (54.5%)
GENESIS
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: June 27, 2016, 04:04:06 PM

Author Topic: Which Survivor should I run next? RUSH or GENESIS?  (Read 744 times)

Offline The Letter M

Which Survivor should I run next? RUSH or GENESIS?
« on: June 20, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
Okay folks, I figured I'd start a poll since not everyone will read the pinned thread at the top of this forum. It doesn't seem like anyone else is about to do a Rush survivor quite yet, and I wasn't sure if anyone had Rush on their docket. These two bands are two of my all time favorites, and I would love to do another Genesis Survivor now that there's been a lot of people new to the forums since the last time I ran one (at least 3 or 4 years ago, I think).

Either way, vote for the band YOU would want to see me do a Survivor of next!!! Now, depending on how long one takes, I may do the other afterwards, but I am planning a Marillion Survivor sometime this fall, not long after their next album drops, so depending on time, I may just do both (with 1-day rounds). We'll see...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline CharlesPL

Re: Which Survivor should I run next? RUSH or GENESIS?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
GENESIS please.............

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:31:37 PM »
I only know five or six Rush albums but all Genesis albums, so if I participate it would be Genesis.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:03:19 AM »
Rush

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:52:24 AM »
Rush

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:08 AM »
Just did some quick math. If I do a RUSH survivor, with single-day rounds, and barring any tie-breaker rounds, the survivor would run from July through the end of January next year...so yeah, that'd take awhile, unless I do two albums simultaneously, which might be an option if folks who want to participate can keep up.

EDIT - did a bit more math, and realized that Genesis would take about 28-29 weeks as well, after all 15 studio albums, different survivors for various eras of B-sides, the Consolation Rounds, and the Finals.

So really, either Survivor would take about as long.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:42:50 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »
I'm familiar with all Rush albums, but on the other hand, if we did a Genesis survivor, I'd finally have a reason to check out the albums I haven't heard. But either way, it's gonna be fun.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:25 AM »
I'm fine with either.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
Either way, would be fun.  Rush, my knowledge is more encyclopedic, but  I will have a hard time choosing.  Genesis, I'll have to give some spins to the more obscure stuff, but it'll be easier to separate the wheat from the chaff.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
Well, Rush is my all-time favorite band, so yeah.  Genenis is great but I'm not totally familiar with their entire catalog.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:12 PM »
Looks like Rush is winning, but I'll leave this up until the poll closes, which will give me time to breathe after the SB one, which just closed today! Hopefully, those of you who voted for Rush, if it wins, will actively participate in the survivor! I like seeing double-digit voters!!!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
I don't have many albums from either band, but I have more Rush (4, earliest Power Windows vs 2), so I went that way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
Looked back through this forum and saw that cyberdrummer last ran the Rush Survivor back in 2013. I last ran Genesis back in 2012, so it looks like we'd be about due for Genesis first before Rush, but Rush has more votes this time.

I'll make up my mind on Sunday evening, once this poll closes, and begin the winning survivor on July 1st.

If Rush does indeed win, I may implement a 2-Album run for the whole Survivor, mostly because it works out that many pairs of their albums share similar track numbers (8 and 8, 5 and 6, 6 and 4, 6 and 7, 8 and 8, 8 and 10, 11 and 10, 11 and 11, 13 and 13, and 12 for CA - still not sure if I'd do Feedback since they're all covers and are only an EP. Maybe I'll throw them onto a B-Sides Survivor with their early non-album tracks like "Garden Road" and "Fancy Dancer"). Doing 2 albums at the same time will expedite the whole thing, but it'll mean that everyone will have to try to keep up with me, and hopefully I can try and keep up with it and be sure to post new pairs of rounds every day/night.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »
It looks like I will be starting the RUSH SUVIVOR 2016 EDITION in a few days! Thanks for your input, guys! I'll be putting up the home thread for results and discussion later on tonight when I get home from work.

In there, I'll detail the process by which I'll be running the survivor, the albums and extra survivors involved, and other bits of information.

Until then, I'll run a quick Album Survivor here for the next 3-4 days!

-Marc.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 06:42:17 PM »
Awesome!!