Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 73912 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Westworld
« Reply #420 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
Interesting episode, but I have to watch it again. I didn't give it half the attention it deserved, and missed probably two thirds of the subtitled dialogue, so when the reveal hit at the end, I was kind of lost.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2018, 04:19:00 AM »
Even though I enjoyed the episode, I can see a lot of people hating it.

Slow pace, mostly subtitles and following a new-ish character. The ratings for season 2 aren't all that amazing so far and I don't see an "art piece" episode like this doing them any favors.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »

Slow pace, mostly subtitles and following a new-ish character. The ratings for season 2 aren't all that amazing so far and I don't see an "art piece" episode like this doing them any favors.

I won't say I 'hated' it but for me it was the weakest episode of the series to date. I completely could not believe that he wandered the headquarters...in full Ghost Nation War paint....until he found the room full of discontinued hosts. No key pad access points? Just take a couple turns in the hallway and go down a flight of stairs? All the while not to be seen by ANYONE? Only explanation would be that Ford 'let' it happen...and even that's a stretch.

Anyway....next week looks to be a William centered episode so that should be a good rebound.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #423 on: June 11, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »
I enjoyed the episode, but I agree it was probably the weakest in the whole series, or at least one of them. I also was confused by how Akecheta managed to find his way through the facility.

However, I loved that we got a closer glimpse at the Valley thanks to him, and I also loved the scene with him and Ford. This show also does a great job at making the various cultures feel authentic and lifelike. So the episode wasn't a total waste. We've had two massive, almost-finale-like episodes this season already, so I am not disappointed with the show. It's a sci-fi show with a heavy emphasis on themes about consciousness, reality, and understanding one's purpose, or finding some meaning to life (and what is 'life' anyway?). I actually expect it to be slow and convoluted, so maybe that's why I'm not as upset as my friends and other people are with the direction of season 2.

I think the finale is going to be huge. I can't wait! Only 2 more weeks... then nothing to watch for a couple months.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: June 11, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »

I won't say I 'hated' it but for me it was the weakest episode of the series to date. I completely could not believe that he wandered the headquarters...in full Ghost Nation War paint....until he found the room full of discontinued hosts. No key pad access points? Just take a couple turns in the hallway and go down a flight of stairs? All the while not to be seen by ANYONE? Only explanation would be that Ford 'let' it happen...and even that's a stretch.

Anyway....next week looks to be a William centered episode so that should be a good rebound.

I have to believe Ford let the whole thing happen, starting with leaving the maze next to the drink for him to stumble upon after Arnold was killed and then also the fact that the Delos team was able to recover his girl (forget her name) when she went off script but didn't bother going after him to fix... for 10 years. 

Anyway, I agree, probably the worst episode of the series, but I actually really liked the story of it, just didn't enjoy the way it was presented with such a slow pace and also coming off such an eventful episode, it really made this week's feel lackluster.  But back to the story of it all, it seems Akecheta was really the first "woke" host and maybe an experiment by Ford to test the maze and how to gain consciousness. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: June 11, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
What was interesting was that Aketcha flat out said that Dolores is going to kill everyone....get everyone killed and that's she's basically the enemy/bad 'guy' in the show now. He and Maeve appear to be the 'good' guys....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »
What was interesting was that Aketcha flat out said that Dolores is going to kill everyone....get everyone killed and that's she's basically the enemy/bad 'guy' in the show now. He and Maeve appear to be the 'good' guys....

I'm very curious to see what happens to Maeve now. She seems too important to be out for good, and probably has a much bigger role to play, whatever it is. She's not at all my favorite character but I can't wait to see what they do with her now that she's pretty much incapacitated for as long as Behavior wants.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: June 11, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »

I'm very curious to see what happens to Maeve now. She seems too important to be out for good, and probably has a much bigger role to play, whatever it is. She's not at all my favorite character but I can't wait to see what they do with her now that she's pretty much incapacitated for as long as Behavior wants.

I think with Bernard/Ford running around at HQ they'll play a hand in fixing and freeing her.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: June 11, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
That's right. We didn't really see much of anyone else in last night's episode, so I'm eager to see what Fornarnold and the others are doing next week.

Anyone else planning on binging the season or even the whole show before or after the season 2 finale? I'm considering watching the whole series again - definitely watching the whole season leading up to the finale though.

Online faizoff

« Reply #429 on: June 11, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
Finally caught up to the second season. Been avoiding this thread and anything related to this show anywhere online, I'm not surprised by reading the low ratings. Though me personally I've been loving this season immensely. I don't have any problems with any plot points so far. Sure, they could've done a few things a little differently in terms of execution.

I really should've watched the first season again prior to catching up. Probably will do that once this season is done. Love the new characters this season and love the character arcs so far. Can't wait for the last two episodes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #430 on: June 12, 2018, 04:12:49 AM »
The more I think about the last episode, the more I'm loving it. I think it actually may be the favorite so far of this season. Hanzee from Fargo was always an amazing character and the actor that plays him has become one of my favorites, he's so good in this series as well I really hope he becomes a regular.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #431 on: June 12, 2018, 06:02:08 AM »
The Ghost Nation episode was the best episode this season far. I loved it. This whole season has been excellent as far as I'm concerned. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: June 12, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »
Don't think it was mentioned - the piano arrangement of Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box was really nice.

Online faizoff

« Reply #433 on: June 12, 2018, 09:05:03 AM »
Always a joy to hear those piano arrangements, I have to find the list of songs they've used this season so far. I think they had an orchestral arrangement of paint it black during the first shogun world episode.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: June 12, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Don't think it was mentioned - the piano arrangement of Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box was really nice.

Ya know, I was thinking that piano sounded familiar but couldn't pick out what it was.  Just knew it had to be some more known song, similar to what they've done before.  Really cool.

Also, I didn't realize until reading this thread that the ratings are down this season.  That sucks because I think this season is better than the first and had hoped this would be the new flagship show now that GoT is just about done.  I know they are renewed for another season but I hope the show isn't at risk to being cut.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: June 12, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
Wow. According to wikipedia episode 6 of this season (Phase Space) barely got 1 million viewers. The lowest viewed episode of season 1 got 1.49 million. I really don't understand the level of hate it's getting from people this time. Oh well... I had a dream the other night they announced "the new season of Westworld" but it was like season 5 haha. I really hope the audience warms up to it some more. I want this to go the full stretch...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #436 on: June 12, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »
I think a lot of people didn't like the whole two timeline reveal. It made the story to complicated to follow. My mom couldn't follow what the hell was going on when, so she stopped watching.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
I think a lot of people didn't like the whole two timeline reveal. It made the story to complicated to follow. My mom couldn't follow what the hell was going on when, so she stopped watching.

Was that before or after season 2 started though?  I feel if you survived season 1, then this hasn't been just as similarly difficult to follow.  My girlfriend bowed out after a few episodes of season 1, she wasn't interested in the timeline and needing to pay so much attention.  She also was a bit freaked out by the hosts so there's that too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »
The two timeline thing is no more complex than it was in season 1, I think. I think it just gives the illusion of being more complex because there are more story beats to follow and more pieces to fit together than as a result make season 1 look even deeper than we thought it was back when that was the only season. That's my view though.

Edit: oh, and Logan! I was thrilled to see him in the latest episode. Looks like he completely broke down after William sent him off.  Yikes.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #439 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »

Was that before or after season 2 started though?  I feel if you survived season 1, then this hasn't been just as similarly difficult to follow.  My girlfriend bowed out after a few episodes of season 1, she wasn't interested in the timeline and needing to pay so much attention.  She also was a bit freaked out by the hosts so there's that too.

She gave up after the 5th or 6th episode of the first season. The show requires you to pay attention, and even then you could miss stuff. My mom (and I think a lot of people these days), don't like those types of shows all that much. Makes it too hard to use your phone while still knowing what's going on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »
Edit: oh, and Logan! I was thrilled to see him in the latest episode. Looks like he completely broke down after William sent him off.  Yikes.

Wonder if this is what lead him to OD, he definitely looked messed up mentally (although I don't believe he died)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
Wow, what an awesome episode.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »
There was some incredible acting and directing this episode. Need to watch again though, because it buffered so often that I had to take numerous breaks. Shout out to Evan Rachel Wood's acting in that final bit. That was perfect.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2018, 11:29:48 PM »
HOLE. E. CRAP.   What an episode. William has lost his mind....which, may turn out to be that is ‘mind’ has just reached its denigration point. The speculation that he perfected the ‘project’ seems to be plausible at this point. Killing your own daughter though. Man, that’s a tough one to get over.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: June 18, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »
So much to process from that episode.  Really intense and lots of wtf moments.  Loved the focus on William and more of his back story this episode.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #445 on: June 19, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
Amazing episode. All of William’s bits were great, but that ending with Dolores and Teddy stands out. Early GoT levels of tense for me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: June 19, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
So, is William just 'inside' a host having perfected his project or is he just losing his mind? I'm not sure I'm buying the 'clear' reading from the scanner.....he could easily just have a host body without the explosive. Then again....he could be losing his mind because he's in a host body. Maybe the project isn't perfected but going 'host' was his only shot at taking out Ford?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: June 19, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »
So, is William just 'inside' a host having perfected his project or is he just losing his mind? I'm not sure I'm buying the 'clear' reading from the scanner.....he could easily just have a host body without the explosive. Then again....he could be losing his mind because he's in a host body. Maybe the project isn't perfected but going 'host' was his only shot at taking out Ford?

Yea this is really confusing for me to understand exactly how he can be host.  Like is his body dead or is he also living outside the park but the person inside is a host?  Is he glitching like Delos was?  Was he perfected?  Does he actually know he is a host?  I was watching the Afterbuzz TV show on youtube and the hosts there seemed just as confused and it was actually hard watching them try to talk about the episode.  Not surprisingly, no one here is talking about it either  :lol  I am struggling to really understand myself.  I watched it again (well most before I fell asleep) last night and am so intrigued by it all, but I am finding it hard to follow right now.

Also seems like there is way too much open ended right now to only have one episode left.  I just hope they close some storylines and not leave us with even more questions because I think that could really hurt the show for keeping viewers next season.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »
Well, a couple of episodes back Ford told Bernard that the technology wasn't perfected yet which is why he uploaded himself into the cradle instead of a host. I don't think William is a host, I think he just lost his mind. Westworld finally took everything from him
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: June 19, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
Well, a couple of episodes back Ford told Bernard that the technology wasn't perfected yet which is why he uploaded himself into the cradle instead of a host. I don't think William is a host, I think he just lost his mind. Westworld finally took everything from him

But whats with his arm?  I think the show made it clear by showing Bernard connecting to his arm, and then immediately showing William rubbing his arm in the same spot multiple times that they are hinting a correlation.  I guess it's possible that this is to confuse us, but also the being clear with the scan could be to confuse as well.  I just flat out dont know.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: June 19, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »
After the scene in the bar it seems Ford really wanted to mess with William, I hardly think that making him a host achieves that. I think his goal was to drive William and that he finally achieved that. However, I 100% agree with what you say. I could be wrong, but I think the show is trying to mess with us and at the same time trying to send a message to us, telling us not to take our world for granted and to question what we think about reality. That is something sci-fi shows and movies do a lot.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: June 19, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
I don't expect for one second that all the questions will be answered in the finale. I expect at least two more seasons out of this show. I expect something super dramatic to occur in the Forge, and not something good. I think something is going to happen that neither William nor Dolores expect, and it's going to be catastrophic for everybody, human and host alike. I can't wait to see where this goes and I fully expect a painfully good cliffhanger for season 3.

I love the interaction between Ford and William in this past episode and cannot wait to see how William acts when he sees Dolores again now that he's basically lost all grip on his sanity and is so close to the Forge. And Ford can't be gone for good despite Bernard deleting him from his code, so I expect a bit more from him yet.

God I love this show!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: June 19, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »
Yea, I don't expect all things to be answered, but I just want some closure before what will likely be a cliffhanger ending.  There's just too much confusion at this point.  I am hooked, but I am wondering if others will lose interest.  I also expect Ford to be back somehow, he's too critical to the show to have him just deleted so easily.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: June 19, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »
I'm still not convinced we won't see a physical....'host'....Ford. I'm still thinking he was creating 'himself' in that scene back in season 1 when Bernard became aware of what he was in that secret building. That he perfected the project and 'he' is 'alive' physically and the program we've seen of him was just his effort to assist the destruction of the Forge and DELOS for that matter.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 19, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
I'm still not convinced we won't see a physical....'host'....Ford. I'm still thinking he was creating 'himself' in that scene back in season 1 when Bernard became aware of what he was in that secret building. That he perfected the project and 'he' is 'alive' physically and the program we've seen of him was just his effort to assist the destruction of the Forge and DELOS for that matter.

Yea, that wouldn't surprise me.  I thought Ford would be the secret to fixing the glitch they saw in James Delos, but Ford had the deal to not be involved, but he may have done it anyway.  Possibly first with William (maybe without his knowledge) and then with himself.