Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 73911 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Westworld
« Reply #315 on: May 01, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
Alt Shift X is doing videos for Westworld again. I don't know how he manages to so perfectly break down everything in these confusing shows but man is it helpful.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: May 01, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
This show boggles my mind. Really. I have to rewatch these episodes at least twice before I really understand everything. The unclear jumping between past and present for me only makes the show that much more confusing for me.

Agreed and personally I am having trouble following things. It worked relatively well in season one, but now I can't keep track of things with the time jumps.

Weird, it's the opposite with me. I was totally confused in season 1 and had to re-watch it all. I know with season 2 that they might not explain confusing sections until later in the season so I'm just going with it and enjoying it so far.

Yea, I think this season so far has been a bit easier to follow, but it's certainly not easy and that's what makes it so good.  I'm intrigued by the things I don't know/understand, but after season 1, I think it's easier to accept that I just don't know these things yet.

Alt Shift X is doing videos for Westworld again. I don't know how he manages to so perfectly break down everything in these confusing shows but man is it helpful.

Yea his videos are great and for episode 1, pointing out the brain juice was interesting, totally didn't pick up on that.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #317 on: May 01, 2018, 03:48:42 PM »
Enjoying the season so far.

It’s a bit hard for me to judge shows like this on an episode-to-episode basis. It’s usually easier to wait until you have the perspective of looking back at an entire season. That said, I really like it thus far.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #318 on: May 01, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
After the first episode leaving me utterly bored, I've decided to wait until the season is out before I watch any further. At the moment I've lost all interest in the show and if I have to wait a week after a bad episode I'd just quit the show altogether.

Hope we're not getting another Lost. The first season was near perfect, they should have chosen a completely different storyline or leave it as it is.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »
After the first episode leaving me utterly bored, I've decided to wait until the season is out before I watch any further. At the moment I've lost all interest in the show and if I have to wait a week after a bad episode I'd just quit the show altogether.

Hope we're not getting another Lost. The first season was near perfect, they should have chosen a completely different storyline or leave it as it is.

Meh, I'll take another Lost, one of the best shows ever on TV.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
I caught up yesterday with the show. As some of you have pointed out, Delores going bad bitch is not something I'm enjoying much at the time and is the one thing I can point out as the thing that is not letting me enjoy this season as much as I enjoyed last one. However, the rest of what's happening has been interesting and is opening many possible lines. I also think that Ford is somewhere inside the park, not necessarily in the boy, but as a kind of god that can jump between hosts, as he did with the men William was trying to recruit for his campaign.
This is getting my attention and will keep watching, hoping my mind gets played with, just like last season. I mean, Ford had us all for fools once, who's to say he's not doing that again?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: May 02, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »
According to the Alt-Shift-X videos, which have really helped me, it seems to make sense so far. She isn't just Dolores, she's infused with Wyatt, who was an evil character. She is both Dolores and Wyatt, and it is the Wyatt code within her that has fueled her massacre spree.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
I also think that Ford is somewhere inside the park, not necessarily in the boy, but as a kind of god that can jump between hosts, as he did with the men William was trying to recruit for his campaign.
This is getting my attention and will keep watching, hoping my mind gets played with, just like last season. I mean, Ford had us all for fools once, who's to say he's not doing that again?

I don't think Ford was jumping between hosts, but the hosts were programmed to act in a way to make William go it alone.  Except for Lawrence, who seems to be allowed to follow him along.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2018, 06:34:33 AM »
I also think that Ford is somewhere inside the park, not necessarily in the boy, but as a kind of god that can jump between hosts, as he did with the men William was trying to recruit for his campaign.

I don't think Ford was jumping between hosts, but the hosts were programmed to act in a way to make William go it alone.  Except for Lawrence, who seems to be allowed to follow him along.

Maybe that's the case, but I still think Fords consciousness is in the park, not just in one host.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »

Maybe that's the case, but I still think Fords consciousness is in the park, not just in one host.

That's where I'm leaning. I think he found a way to upload his consciousness....after all, that's what they were working towards the entire time. I think he solved it and now has the freedom to 'move' about as he sees fit from host to host. It still wouldn't surprise me if that host he was crafting back in his secret hide out was 'him' or if not a direct representation of him then his future body...that may appear again?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: May 03, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
Got dammit I hate this show. I just realized that basically any of the characters we are seeing could be Ford and that we wouldn't even know it. For example, the security guy that showed up out of nowhere after being captured by rouge guests could easily be Ford.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #326 on: May 03, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »
Got dammit I hate this show. I just realized that basically any of the characters we are seeing could be Ford and that we wouldn't even know it. For example, the security guy that showed up out of nowhere after being captured by rouge guests could easily be Ford.

Huh? In all probability, Ford likely included a huge program to lead to certain events or prevent certain things. I doubt it's more than that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: May 03, 2018, 01:16:39 PM »

Yea, I am curious to know how he escaped from last season and what his story is now.  I'm still not sure what to think about Ford just yet.  He seems to be showing up in other hosts, but I don't know if that's his consciousness or just the way he programmed things before he "died"

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
Unless I've missed something, Ford has only "shown up" in one host...  The Young Ford that MiB killed.  I believe the others who keep telling him "this game is meant for you" were programmed that way.

Someone said that, after Ford's update, the hosts now read everyone else as hosts.  Could it be that the hosts were programmed to know about MiB and given information on what his "loop" is supposed to be?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »
So in the premiere episode, what was the deal with Bernard needing the white fluid from another host. Is that what they "eat" or need for sustenance? And if so, would Delores and all the other hosts need to "recharge" or whatever too?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2018, 06:19:32 AM »
So in the premiere episode, what was the deal with Bernard needing the white fluid from another host. Is that what they "eat" or need for sustenance? And if so, would Delores and all the other hosts need to "recharge" or whatever too?

I think it's because he's a little damaged from when he shot himself in season 1, and the fluid leaking out of his ears in season 2 shows that. So the fluid is necessary for everything to function normally.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »
Unless I've missed something, Ford has only "shown up" in one host...  The Young Ford that MiB killed.  I believe the others who keep telling him "this game is meant for you" were programmed that way.

Someone said that, after Ford's update, the hosts now read everyone else as hosts.  Could it be that the hosts were programmed to know about MiB and given information on what his "loop" is supposed to be?

That could also be the case. I don't have any supporting evidence to my claim about Ford, it's just a theory.

If you recall the scene at the barn, Bernard was losing fluid through his ear so it stands to reason that he needed to replace it. I don't think that's something hosts need to do periodically though, just in extreme cases like that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2018, 06:33:35 AM »

I think it's because he's a little damaged from when he shot himself in season 1, and the fluid leaking out of his ears in season 2 shows that. So the fluid is necessary for everything to function normally.

That’s how I saw it. I’m assuming that fluid is like what oil is to a car engine. without it....it’s going to fail

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: May 06, 2018, 08:18:36 PM »
I really enjoyed episode #3 tonight. Ended on an exciting cliffhanger for next week. Good story arc with Dolores in this one.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #334 on: May 07, 2018, 07:09:34 AM »
The Delos security squads are really dumb. They march on foot toward a barricaded fort with soldiers lined up shooting at them. They seriously don't have any drones or anything that can drop a bomb or perhaps trigger an EMP pulse or something. I don't buy any of their tactics and they've been getting their asses handed to them since day 1 of this revolt. Like why the hell is the actual underground facility still not completely secured by now? Why aren't the entrances to the underground locked down and secured? I don't buy any of it.

And oh, you've just got to love Delores. She tricks all these hosts into trusting her. (her people by the way). They willingly follow her lead thinking she's a worthwhile leader and then starts spouting some genocide BS.  "The truth is we don't all deserve to make it"  wow, what a great leader for the hosts, especially right after they gave their lives to protect her and follow her plan. To hell with her character. At least Teddy is starting to wake up to her bullshit.

It was cool seeing Bengal tiger world though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: May 07, 2018, 07:38:42 AM »
I really enjoyed episode #3 tonight. Ended on an exciting cliffhanger for next week. Good story arc with Dolores in this one.

ehh....I was impartial to it. Thought last weeks was really good but this weeks episode reminded me of episode 1. Wasn't 'bad' per say but all in all I didn't see a whole lot that really wow'd me.

I guess it's because I really am put off by the Wyatt personality of Dolores. I just can't get on board with her blood lust. I get that she rightfully has issues to hash out with mankind now that she's awake.....but I'm not a big fan of the direction they're taking her character. It's off-putting to me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
Dolores HAD to sacrifice those men in order to both take out the Delos forces AND save her own men. She knew there was no fighting their weapons and vehicles, so she used the "expendables" as a meat shield until she could set off the nitro. Wyatt is stone cold.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2018, 08:01:18 AM »
Dolores HAD to sacrifice those men in order to both take out the Delos forces AND save her own men. She knew there was no fighting their weapons and vehicles, so she used the "expendables" as a meat shield until she could set off the nitro. Wyatt is stone cold.

I understand the purpose behind it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Evan Rachel Wood isn't selling me the Wyatt character. I don't 'feel' like she's anything other than a pissed off Dolores rather than the Wyatt program/person. It's not connecting with me at all and seems really out of place.

They've don'e a great job with Maeve's progression to sentient......completely buy her current frame of mind and actions. Not 'getting' the Dolores story at all and I think it comes down to the acting of the part.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: May 07, 2018, 10:08:52 AM »
I was responding more to Phoenix, actually, but yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'm not 100% sure on everything myself, but I'm also not dwelling too heavily on it because I have a feeling they are purposely trying to misdirect the audience and bring up questions that won't be answered for a long time. I'm putting my faith in the show to wrap it up cleanly especially given how much time they've spent on producing this show already.

I'm actually not crazy about Maeve, so I'm opposite of you, gmd! She seems even more cold and detached than Dolores - at least we saw some humanity from Dolores last episode with her dad and all that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
I'm actually not crazy about Maeve, so I'm opposite of you, gmd! She seems even more cold and detached than Dolores - at least we saw some humanity from Dolores last episode with her dad and all that.

I think with Maeve though we witnessed that progression to that character. With Dolores, despite the last time we saw her being when she murdered Ford (basically because he wanted her to) she was more or less 'caring' and had a soft human element. Then BOOM.....out of the gate this year she's this stone cold murderous villain. Just seemed like a quick jump from what we knew of her to what she is now.

I agree with you as far as trusting the show. I'm not trying to bag on the show because it's still good and given what they gave us last year I'm sure they have a plan. I'm just not connecting with the Dolores arc yet.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
Do you (or anyone else) know how much time has passed between the seasons? I think they said it was a couple weeks since "something" happened, but I'm not sure if that's exact.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
I actually like the whole Dolores thing.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
Do you (or anyone else) know how much time has passed between the seasons? I think they said it was a couple weeks since "something" happened, but I'm not sure if that's exact.

The first episode had two timelines.  One that started immediately after the finale that follows Bernard and Hale back to the bunker, and the other about two weeks after the finale when the security detail shows up in the park.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »

The first episode had two timelines.  One that started immediately after the finale that follows Bernard and Hale back to the bunker, and the other about two weeks after the finale when the security detail shows up in the park.

Cool, that's what I thought. Right on.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: May 13, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »
Oh man. What an awesome new episode. Best of the season. William and James, those scenes are fascinating as hell. Guy who plays James shows some wonderful acting. I might watch it again in a few.  There's a lot to unpack.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: May 13, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Oh man. What an awesome new episode. Best of the season. William and James, those scenes are fascinating as hell. Guy who plays James shows some wonderful acting. I might watch it again in a few.  There's a lot to unpack.

Yeah, by far the best episode yet. Well acted, well written....and pretty cool revelations.

Heard a theory that the Indian hosts are kind of a default protection program for humans. That being the reason they are only killing hosts and not real people. Seems like that could hold some merit.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2018, 06:35:47 AM »
Such an awesome episode. definitely my favorite episode of season 2 and maybe one of my favorite WW episodes ever. Across the board, there were strong characters with strong motivations, and development. I ate it up.

William is my favorite character currently. Both young and old. He's so compelling. He's now developing, growing, learning and I love that. I love how they subtlety aged him when dealing with the clone.

This whole clone thing is very interesting. Now its getting very compelling.

Everything was awesome about this episode from the music, to the story, to the beautiful cinematography. So awesome.

And I love the rolling stones, but didn't know about that cool song.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:09:27 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2018, 07:45:06 AM »
This is the most interesting television show I think I've ever seen. Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are my favorites, but the enormity of the concepts they're addressing in this show takes some serious thinking and an incredibly amount of planning to pull off. I am so excited to see where the story goes now. I watched the episode again last night and there are so, so many moments of awesome acting and dialogue.

"You think you know death, but you don't. You didn't recognize him sitting across from you this whole time."

The actors who play Bernard and James actually made me giddy with their portrayals of androids glitching out, stuttering and struggling to make certain movements or expressions. There's Emmy-level acting all over this show.

The theory about the native tribes is cool. I didn't fully catch it, did they actually try to slit Ashley's throat, or did they pull away? It would make sense if somehow their weapons could only attack the hosts, but I'm not sure, I'll have to watch the episode again tonight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2018, 09:08:07 AM »
Wondering if the 'consciousness' or whatever that was that Bernard was instructed to create and get for Ford was actually Ford's Code? Maybe he's perfected what William and DELOS couldn't?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Wondering if the 'consciousness' or whatever that was that Bernard was instructed to create and get for Ford was actually Ford's Code? Maybe he's perfected what William and DELOS couldn't?

That's definitely what I was thinking. Maybe Ford didn't mind dying, since he may live forever? We shall see
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:23:33 PM by Phoenix87x »