Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 73961 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Westworld
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2018, 01:11:16 AM »
Just finished my re-watch of the series.  It's even better the second time through since you pick up clues you missed the first time.

For sure! I started rewatching as well, straight away you hear someone commenting in the train "First time I went white hat, went with the wife in the mountains, then I came back alone, went black hat, it was awesome"... it's so clear what he means now.

Also, the Man in Black when first meets Dolores (first in the show anyway) says "After all this time you still don't remember me... even after all we've been through"... wow. That's a dead giveaway for someone who knows the storyline. Of course when you first see it you're in full "WTF" mode trying to understand how the show works, but seeing it with knowledge, it's the twist of the season already announced.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2018, 06:58:36 AM »
We'll be watching season 1 again over the next week. Can't wait to watch it a second time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: April 12, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
Yea, it's been on HBO this week and I've been watching before bed.  Knowing what's going on makes a huge difference the next time around.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
I took me a couple episodes to really get into but now at episode 8 I am really loving it. Hopkins is horrifying and compelling. I love his work.

Harris is incredible as well. The only thing I have an issue with are the nimrod techs that actually allow Maeve to gain control. I don't buy it. They so easily could have shut her down from the get go, but those idiots let it get out of control. She was even burned to ash and her threat completely neutralized and they seriously rebuilt her ass and let her get right back to it. What the hell? And all this crazy murder is going on in the basement and there's no cameras or alerts. again, I call bullshit, but Whatever.

Besides that, the show is awesome. I love it.

And that scene where Bernard brings that lady down to the basement and Hopkins is waiting and you slowly start realizing what is going to happen. So good
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:28:35 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #284 on: April 16, 2018, 05:46:43 AM »
I'm three episodes into my first re-watch. As others have said, it's almost like an entirely new show the second time around. Knowing what we know now, it really changes a lot of the scenes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
The authors kinda cheated however. They carefully had Dolores in the present going off on her own so that in the control room they could report her as deviating from her path, and then immediately have her scenes with William to give the illusion that it was playing out in real time, while it wasn't.

Speaking of time, is it me or am I having access to a previous memory of something read on the web if I say that on second rewatch, I'm kinda sure that they do the fade ins with black screen differently when they're changing up timelines?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »
So, who caught the season 2 premiere last night?

Loved it. Brutal and foreboding and setting up a lot to come this season. Dolores has gone stone cold.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »

Loved it. Brutal and foreboding and setting up a lot to come this season. Dolores has gone stone cold.

Got home too late to watch. Gonna have to wait until tonight.....my brother says it was pretty cool though. can't wait.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
Yeah, I'll be catching it tonight as well, hearing good things though

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »

Just watched it, yeah, Delores is a completely different person, and fucking soulless. I like it. There's so many directions they can go with from here, should be a fun ride.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2018, 12:44:06 PM »
I totally forgot it premiered last night and didn't realize until I sat down at 10pm to watch Silicon Valley and saw Westworld was on for another 15 minutes.  I knew I wouldn't be able to stay up after SV to watch but I'll watch it soon.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
Oh hell I forgot Silicon Valley was back too. I only renewed my HBO to watch Westworld but forgot about SV season 5. Awesome :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »
The season premiere didn't knock my socks off. Whatever, I guess. I'm sure it will get better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
The season premiere didn't knock my socks off. Whatever, I guess. I'm sure it will get better.

Yeah....this was my sentiment. I mean, I thought it was good and I’m excited for the season but it’s not like they came out of the gate swinging. Seemed like they spent the whole episode setting things up and in motion. Which, is fine.....I’m sure they have a plan.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
I fell asleep.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
I don't know, I absolutely loved that episode.  I have so many questions and I love how the show continued where it left off but also introduced the future timeline.  It's another puzzle to put all this together.  I can't wait for the next episode now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »
I don't know, I absolutely loved that episode.  I have so many questions and I love how the show continued where it left off but also introduced the future timeline.  It's another puzzle to put all this together.  I can't wait for the next episode now.

I'm not implying I didn't like it. I was just underwhelmed. Typically with shows like this the Season premier episodes are a bit more bombastic in effort. Nothing wrong with their approach as I'm trusting it'll all fit and work well. It was just a tad 'slow' in my eyes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2018, 12:05:55 PM »

I'm not implying I didn't like it. I was just underwhelmed. Typically with shows like this the Season premier episodes are a bit more bombastic in effort. Nothing wrong with their approach as I'm trusting it'll all fit and work well. It was just a tad 'slow' in my eyes.

Could just be a mindset.  I actually went in not expecting a good episode.  I kind of expected some story telling to set the season up, which it certainly had, but I felt so intrigued by where all this was going moreso than I did before watching the episode. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
I tell you what was cool to see was Gustaf Skarsgård cast as the agent in charge of figuring out what the heck went wrong. I like him a lot from his character as Floki on 'VIKINGS' and was pleasantly surprised to see him in the show. It was odd not hearing him speak in the old Norse dialect that he speaks in on Vikings....and not using his odd mannerisms and what not.

His perfect American accent caught me off guard.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: April 25, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »
Yeah same here. Usually with swedish actors you can at least somewhat detect that weird swenglish accent, so it was cool to see him nail it. And yeah the contrast between this character and Floki was weird, but fun.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
Thought it was pretty boring. Hopefully it gets better.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
Thinking about it more, I don't think Delores's 180 degree character switch is sitting all that well with me. She was one of my favorite characters from season 1, but now she feels like some blood thirsty, mass murdering monster.

Yeah she was a slave and everything, but She's become unsympathetic in a way. She's even killing hosts, her own people so to speak. So why I am I supposed to like this person. Not really digging it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:54:31 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
Thinking about it more, I don't think Delores's 180 degree character switch is sitting all that well with me. She was one of my favorite characters from season 1, but now she feels like some blood thirsty, mass murdering monster.

Yeah she was a slave and everything, but She's become unsympathetic in a way. She's even killing hosts, her own people so to speak. So why I am I supposed to like this person. Not really digging it.

I think that's what bothered me the most as well. I mean, there's still a whole season left for her story but if it's as simple as her just being this cold blooded killer now....that's not really appealing to me. I'd expect more from her character than that. I'm hoping that there is a larger 'plan' for her character.

What I did find interesting was the 'little boy' Robert Ford that was conversing with the Man in Black. I'm wondering if Ford found a way to upload his consciousness? It seemed like 'he' (the kid) was in full understanding of what was going down and knew the MIB and his ultimate goal of the ultimate game.

I'm still holding on to the idea that Ford was cloning himself in that offsite lab and his 'host' was the one who Delores killed.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: April 26, 2018, 05:03:54 AM »
I tell you what was cool to see was Gustaf Skarsgård cast as the agent in charge of figuring out what the heck went wrong. I like him a lot from his character as Floki on 'VIKINGS' and was pleasantly surprised to see him in the show. It was odd not hearing him speak in the old Norse dialect that he speaks in on Vikings....and not using his odd mannerisms and what not.

His perfect American accent caught me off guard.
Yea was suprised seeing him in the show. There's actually another swedish actor named Fares Fares in the show. His brother is a famous swedish director that's recently switched too game development fulltime with it's recent game being A Way Out which Fares plays a lead role in.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2018, 07:14:02 AM »
I liked it and it flew by, to be honest.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2018, 07:18:47 AM »

I think that's what bothered me the most as well. I mean, there's still a whole season left for her story but if it's as simple as her just being this cold blooded killer now....that's not really appealing to me. I'd expect more from her character than that. I'm hoping that there is a larger 'plan' for her character.

What I did find interesting was the 'little boy' Robert Ford that was conversing with the Man in Black. I'm wondering if Ford found a way to upload his consciousness? It seemed like 'he' (the kid) was in full understanding of what was going down and knew the MIB and his ultimate goal of the ultimate game.

I'm still holding on to the idea that Ford was cloning himself in that offsite lab and his 'host' was the one who Delores killed.

I'll let Delore's story play out a bit more before I say I don't like it, but generally, her cold bloodiness is not really enjoyable, but we may get some explanation at some point so I wont rush to say I dislike her now. 

As for the little boy, did you notice that it was like a mixture of the boy, machine, and ford's voice?  Thought was was really cool and could see how Ford might have pushed his consciousness onto the boy.  I'm also not sold that Ford was killed, but his body looked like it had actually decayed compared to the dead hosts.  They made a clear shot of his face to show this.  Kind of make me think his human form is dead, but his character likely is not.  I got to think he has a host or maybe uploaded himself to another host such as the boy.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
I'll let Delore's story play out a bit more before I say I don't like it, but generally, her cold bloodiness is not really enjoyable, but we may get some explanation at some point so I wont rush to say I dislike her now. 

As for the little boy, did you notice that it was like a mixture of the boy, machine, and ford's voice?  Thought was was really cool and could see how Ford might have pushed his consciousness onto the boy.  I'm also not sold that Ford was killed, but his body looked like it had actually decayed compared to the dead hosts.  They made a clear shot of his face to show this.  Kind of make me think his human form is dead, but his character likely is not.  I got to think he has a host or maybe uploaded himself to another host such as the boy.

Agree on both fronts. I have to trust that they have a grand plan for Delores....so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here. And with Ford, showing his decaying body did kind of squash the 'he built himself as a host to be killed' theory. BUT...with his hybrid voice in the boy host and the way that conversation went with the MIB it does seem like his consciousness or some form of it has been uploaded into the 'system'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2018, 06:34:25 AM »
Much more interesting episode.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »
Better episode.

The man in black continues to captivate. This is probably my favorite Ed harris character. Right behind Ford, he is my favorite character on the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
The man in black continues to captivate. This is probably my favorite Ed harris character. Right behind Ford, he is my favorite character on the show.

Agree. And, call me crazy but his conversation in the saloon led me to believe that he is AI as well? The fact they didn't show how his skin when he used that hand held machine.....he kept using the term 'we' as if he were one of the hosts.....it was odd.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: April 30, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »
This show boggles my mind. Really. I have to rewatch these episodes at least twice before I really understand everything. The unclear jumping between past and present for me only makes the show that much more confusing for me.

Very good episode though as always. Lots of mysteries to be solved. Next episode looks like it'll be a doozy.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
This show boggles my mind. Really. I have to rewatch these episodes at least twice before I really understand everything. The unclear jumping between past and present for me only makes the show that much more confusing for me.

Agreed and personally I am having trouble following things. It worked relatively well in season one, but now I can't keep track of things with the time jumps.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: May 01, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
I love the flash backs to the outside world.  Really cool to see that.  Solid episode. 

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #313 on: May 01, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »

Agreed and personally I am having trouble following things. It worked relatively well in season one, but now I can't keep track of things with the time jumps.

Weird, it's the opposite with me. I was totally confused in season 1 and had to re-watch it all. I know with season 2 that they might not explain confusing sections until later in the season so I'm just going with it and enjoying it so far.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: May 01, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »

Yea it's a bit confusing at time.

Was wondering what happend to Logan when William tied him to the horse in the park in S01, I assume that when we see him at the cocktail party in the recent episode getting stoned talking to Delores, that's after all that?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls