Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 73919 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Westworld
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
A theory I'm seeing appear is that Bernard is in this picture to the right and can't see himself. It's a stretch, but it does seem like a weird way to take a picture with all that empty space next to Ford's father.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2016, 11:05:11 AM »
Hmm...that is interesting. Maybe.

I'm also curious about Ford using the same 'blood sacrifice' line the board member did. Was she in on It with Ford or is that just evidence to suggest his hosts do indeed 'spy' for him?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Hmm...that is interesting. Maybe.

I'm also curious about Ford using the same 'blood sacrifice' line the board member did. Was she in on It with Ford or is that just evidence to suggest his hosts do indeed 'spy' for him?
I noticed that too. Could easily be either of those things.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »
Just had a brain wave in a meeting. Keep an eye out for the name "Weber".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »
A theory I'm seeing appear is that Bernard is in this picture to the right and can't see himself. It's a stretch, but it does seem like a weird way to take a picture with all that empty space next to Ford's father.

Doesn't look like anything to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »

Doesn't look like anything to me.

:lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
It's great that people really get into fan theory but personally I feel like it'd drive me crazy since you're essentially creating your own version of a show alongside the actual show at least as far as expectations go. Maybe it got really popular with LOST but I missed out on all the week to week talk for that.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
Just watched the first 2 episodes. I'm already addicted!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »
It's great that people really get into fan theory but personally I feel like it'd drive me crazy since you're essentially creating your own version of a show alongside the actual show at least as far as expectations go. Maybe it got really popular with LOST but I missed out on all the week to week talk for that.

It makes it more fun, IMO. Seeing some theories confirmed and other obliterated, it all makes for good conversation and use of the imagination. I never feel like my expectations get hurt because of it. We're just floating 'what ifs' and trying to make the week long wait times a little more bearable.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
I stopped reading theories when I realized that movies or shows no longer surprised me, because I had always seen at least someone predict the way it would go. I no longer felt like I was letting the storytellers take me on a ride, but rather got tired from always feeling like I was trying to out-smart them.

That's just my take on it though. A lot of people really like it, so I'm not complaining about the concept as a whole.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »
I stopped reading theories when I realized that movies or shows no longer surprised me, because I had always seen at least someone predict the way it would go. I no longer felt like I was letting the storytellers take me on a ride, but rather got tired from always feeling like I was trying to out-smart them.
I get that.  For me, it's the same with spoilers.  I get that some people really want them, but to me it definitely takes something away from receiving the story as intended by the storytellers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
I like discussing theories and whatnot, but not getting too deep into them that I spoil myself.  I don't feel like that is any different than just discussing the show with your friends every week (since the theories get thicker or debunked every week).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
I like discussing theories and whatnot, but not getting too deep into them that I spoil myself.  I don't feel like that is any different than just discussing the show with your friends every week (since the theories get thicker or debunked every week).

IMO the point of a show like Westworld is the discussion of 'what if's' and the possibilities that are abound in that world/scenario. For me, it doesn't harm my viewing experience exploring certain theories and what not. The more theoretical it gets....just tends to show how good the show is that there are potentially that many stories/scenario's out there.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »

IMO the point of a show like Westworld is the discussion of 'what if's' and the possibilities that are abound in that world/scenario. For me, it doesn't harm my viewing experience exploring certain theories and what not. The more theoretical it gets....just tends to show how good the show is that there are potentially that many stories/scenario's out there.

Yea totally agree.  When I watch other shows, I don't really discuss theories because it's not that type of show.  This is the type of show you want to discuss and hypothesize.  Lost was very much the same way, I used to love coming to the internet to read new theories after episodes.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2016, 09:03:15 AM »

And for me, I eventually get exposed to so many theories, I don't even remember them. I had discussions about either Ford or Bernard being a host several times early on, and while watching the latest episode and being caught up in the moment, those discussions were far from my mind. Despite that I had pondered on it previously, my head still exploded when Bernard said "what door?".

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »
I had discussions about either Ford or Bernard being a host several times early on, and while watching the latest episode and being caught up in the moment, those discussions were far from my mind. Despite that I had pondered on it previously, my head still exploded when Bernard said "what door?".

Me to! that was great! Because, in the moment my mind was spinning as to why Bernard had brought her there...what was he going to show her. Sure we found out it was because Ford 'told' him to, but still....in the moment all the theories were out the window so when he said 'what door' it was just as shocking as if Bernard being a host were never suggested or talked about in any theory.

I felt so bad for him when he said 'my poor son'....like he was crushed multiple times...first over the fact that he watched his son die, then when you know he realized he never had a son in the first place. I can't imagine that revelation as I'm sure he had all the 'feels' of having a son programmed into him....then suddenly he doesn't have a son. I know I'd be devastated just learning that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »
I didn't even fully twig at "what door?", though I knew at that point that something was up. For me the penny dropped when he looked at his schematics.

Goddamn this is a good show so far.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online faizoff

« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:17 PM »
Yeah those last 10-15 minutes of the last episode were amazing. As far as the theories go, I used to do take part in them a lot when Lost was out but never to a ridiculous degree. Nowadays I just step back and watch each episode without any real thought into everything. I know I'm going to enjoy the heck out of rewatching this season.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2016, 12:08:50 AM »
I didn't fully realize the twist at "what door" either. Like ariich I knew something was up, but I think I put myself in denial at that point. Like "nah, it's just the show being cheeky". In the end, this twist actually hit me, emotionally. I felt really uneasy for pretty much rest of the day, which just tells you how good this show is so far.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2016, 01:58:37 AM »
Yeah, they had me suckered as well. Hopkins is acting the hell out of that scene, though....'Off course, the Peacock isn't really capable of flying....'  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2016, 02:45:32 AM »
Yeah Hopkins was awesome in that scene.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2016, 02:54:23 AM »
Jeffrey Wright was fantastic in that scene as well, between his initial shock and rejection and then becoming completely emotionless as he carries out Ford's orders. Absolutely chilling.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »
Yeah Hopkins was awesome in that scene.

Hopkins has been awesome this whole time. He steals every scene he's in.

Jeffrey Wright was fantastic in that scene as well, between his initial shock and rejection and then becoming completely emotionless as he carries out Ford's orders. Absolutely chilling.

Yeah, that was very well done.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:15 AM »
Theresa genuinely looked, terrified, heartbroken, and defeated all at the same time. Kudos to that actress as well.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2016, 07:22:23 AM »
Theresa genuinely looked, terrified, heartbroken, and defeated all at the same time. Kudos to that actress as well.
The scene was all round brilliant, though she hasn't been a particular standout for me. My other favourite cast member so far is probably Thandie Newton. She steals every scene she's in, IMO.

I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
+1 on the acting props.  The whole crew was amazing in that scene.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »
+1 on the acting props.  The whole crew was amazing in that scene.

it really was a chilling scene.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »
This show. I mean, wow. I'm still digesting this episode, especially the last 15 minutes or so.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2016, 06:43:02 AM »
Interesting comment from the MIB when he said he was a God, and not just 'in this world'. I take that to mean they are going to stick with the source material and that there are multiple themes/time periods that folks can choose to 'play' in. And, i don't think there's any question we are watching two time periods of a Young and old William.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
As much as I like the show I find it hard to believe that two low level techs would have the ability to assist a host to bypass all of the (what I presume to be) highly complicated coding involved to keep the hosts obedient to their programming like they have Maeve.....and that they/she could parade around the complex in the manner in which they do and not have been discovered yet. Which is why, until proven otherwise, just like in the coup situation with the board....I believe Ford knows about it and is just allowing it to happen, if not the one directly responsible for her behavior changing in the first place.

And along those lines....I'm assuming (until proven otherwise) that Ford is on to Charlotte's latest attempt at stealing the host info. He knows she's the one behind it all so surely he's got an eye or two or three or a dozen on her?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2016, 05:31:13 AM »
Interesting comment from the MIB when he said he was a God, and not just 'in this world'. I take that to mean they are going to stick with the source material and that there are multiple themes/time periods that folks can choose to 'play' in.

Pretty sure the line was intended to refer to Westworld vs. the real world, since that was his entire point – wrathful god in WW to express his actual personality, good god in real life but then fallen from grace and looking to die for it in a meaningful way (in the maze).

Online faizoff

« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2016, 11:43:03 AM »
Took me way too much time to finally watch the last episode. Between recovering from the Steven Wilson concert on Saturday and a whole bunch of activities on Sunday, I'm simply floored again with this show. Just two more episodes left and that's when I'll read all the theories and watch the entire season again.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
Took me way too much time to finally watch the last episode. Between recovering from the Steven Wilson concert on Saturday and a whole bunch of activities on Sunday, I'm simply floored again with this show. Just two more episodes left and that's when I'll read all the theories and watch the entire season again.

This is a definite 'watch the entire season again' show. There's simply too much info. to digest the first pass. I've re-watched certain scenes a few times...but not entire episodes yet. Perfect example is this last episode. The last 20 minutes there is just a lot to absorb.

Even when Charlotte is walking through that office recruiting Lee to help her steal info all the background screens have the entire narratives, including the one that the MIB is on, open for viewing. there are tons of small details like that every episode that are just impossible to catch the first time. The article below is a good example, no spoilers but just details that are easy to miss:

https://www.businessinsider.com/westworld-season-1-episode-8-analysis-2016-11/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:41:00 PM by gmillerdrake »

Online faizoff

« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
Annd I just read the finale is going to be 90 minutes long. Sooo looking forward to the next two episodes.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
As much as I like the show I find it hard to believe that two low level techs would have the ability to assist a host to bypass all of the (what I presume to be) highly complicated coding involved to keep the hosts obedient to their programming like they have Maeve.....and that they/she could parade around the complex in the manner in which they do and not have been discovered yet. Which is why, until proven otherwise, just like in the coup situation with the board....I believe Ford knows about it and is just allowing it to happen, if not the one directly responsible for her behavior changing in the first place.

Maeve made a comment to the one guy that she was still smarter than him even at level 14.  was she implying he was a bot (or maybe I misunderstand what she meant)?  Also, we know someone else is involved with Maeve because those two workers brought up the point that someone with way more access had been tweaking Maeve.