Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 73927 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Westworld
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
2nd Episode is up early on HBO streaming right now!!! awesome to be working from home today!
Cool, I will try to catch it this afternoon!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »
Went and visited my mom last night and we ended up watching this (she's onboard) for the second time. Caught some little things the second time around that I hadn't noticed the first time. One thing that I'm really surprised I missed; in Delores' interview at the end, she starts freaking out in the room and the guy gives the voice command to disable her emotions. When he asks her the last question, something like "What do you think of your world?", she ignores the emotion cancelling command and puts a huge smile on her face before giving her answer. Also, she appeared to look more worn down each time she woke up.
I also just wanted to add that I didn't think of until just now, is that Delores is asked if she would ever harm a living thing and she says never. The episode ends with her swatting and killing a fly. This show is great so far and I really hope they keep it that way.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
Another awesome episode, brilliantly layered. I think I need to watch it a few more times, I could tell there were a ton of things I missed.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
I enjoyed this episode less than the first one.
I like the parts where it shows the iterations on each time the androids go through the same scenarios, reflecting what has happened to them inbetween. That has been a staple of both episodes so far. Even then, it seems to approach it from the same overly human perspective that most science fiction tends to go with, and is a little light for me.
On the human side of it, I find it very dull so far. The gunslinger's story is on the verge of turning into a western version of Lost, a story currently propped up by little more than mystery for the sake of mystery at this point. I hope they give that some depth fast. And the more they show of the park, the more poorly managed and improbable it feels as a setting.
The only character I'm interested in after this episode is the park owner. Anthony Hopkins plays the part really well.

Also, this episode started off more like the movie, being approached from the visitor's perspective as they arrive.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
The human side is where it's really interesting for me. I'm going to stay away from theories and such because that almost always ruins big reveals or plot points. I'll let the mystery unravel itself. And MIB has more intrigue to me now than before.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 11:31:51 PM »
Really dug this second episode. This show is tracking well for me at the moment.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »
Im going to try to watch the second episode tonight, but only finished the first episode late last night.  I really am intrigued by this.  I am not familiar with the original so this is all new to me.  Took me a rewatch of the first 30 minutes to fully understand what was actually going on.  It's like Red Dead Redemption in a real life simulation.  The talk about how the creators, the investors, and the customers all have different goals seems like a legit problem that's going to brew through the season as it seems the creator guy really has some different motives with the updates and emotions he is creating.  Acting was superb in this.  I also can't wait to find out what Ed Harris' character is trying to figure out.  Part of me thinks he is trying to break the game in some way, but why? 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »
Two episodes in and I think it's a great series so far. Acting is superb and it offers enough surprises to leave you guessing.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
I really liked the second episode. Seeing the differences in attitude between those two friends was interesting. I felt so bad for the host that got the knife through his hand at dinner. I wonder if that treasure he was talking about has anything to do with the thing Harrison is after?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »
Now this is more like it. I wasn't quite sure what to think about the premiere, but I really enjoyed the second episode.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
I really liked the second episode. Seeing the differences in attitude between those two friends was interesting. I felt so bad for the host that got the knife through his hand at dinner. I wonder if that treasure he was talking about has anything to do with the thing Harrison is after?

Possibly but I think it's more just one of the generic storylines for any guest that wants to go on an adventure.

I'm really fascinated by this show and while I think the way they portrayed the rules of the game/world was a little chaotic and hard to follow I think I get the gist of what's going on. Can't wait for more.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 10:45:51 AM »

Possibly but I think it's more just one of the generic storylines for any guest that wants to go on an adventure.

I thought that initially, but now I am not so sure. That could be part of the "game". Everyone goes to this fantasy world where they can do anything. People get violent, horny, manipulative... basically behaving in all the ways they can't (shouldn't) in normal society. They take it out on the hosts, using them to fulfil their darkest desires. Look at the guy and his wife who were posing with the corpses in the standup coffins after the shootout, they were smiling and laughing at the aftermath of one of them shooting a host through the neck. In this place, the basic rules of society seem to break down to a degree in the minds of the visitors. People stop being kind as they see no need and they lose themselves. Maybe those who retain a true sense of humility in the park, even for the fake hosts (old guy with an eye patch falling in the mud), get rewarded with treasure and other adventures that other visitors are never offered because they become assholes.

Online faizoff

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »
In some ways I'm regretting watching the show this soon as it's very hard to wait for each episode on a week to week basis. I kinda wish I had just binged watched it at the end of the season. I do like how each episode seems to have it's own arc while still providing plenty of intrigue about the world itself.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »

I thought that initially, but now I am not so sure. That could be part of the "game". Everyone goes to this fantasy world where they can do anything. People get violent, horny, manipulative... basically behaving in all the ways they can't (shouldn't) in normal society. They take it out on the hosts, using them to fulfil their darkest desires. Look at the guy and his wife who were posing with the corpses in the standup coffins after the shootout, they were smiling and laughing at the aftermath of one of them shooting a host through the neck. In this place, the basic rules of society seem to break down to a degree in the minds of the visitors. People stop being kind as they see no need and they lose themselves. Maybe those who retain a true sense of humility in the park, even for the fake hosts (old guy with an eye patch falling in the mud), get rewarded with treasure and other adventures that other visitors are never offered because they become assholes.

Oh I definitely agree the treasure could be part of some adventure I just don't think it has anything to do with what the MIB is trying to find. It's just a "side quest" if you will.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 01:05:20 AM »
MY THEORY - SPOILERS (I posted this on reddit and copypasta'd to here)

My knowledge of Westworld is strictly limited to these two episodes of the show. I haven't seen the movie or watched any production interviews or anything. I'm going to have to re-watch the first two episodes to build on/reaffirm this, but here goes:

Dr. Ford mentioned that the human race is as good as it gets. I believe he also mentioned either immortality or bringing back the dead; I don't really remember, hence the necessary re-watch. In pursuit of immortality, he's constantly making the hosts more human-like (despite Lee's objections) so that the transfer of consciousness will be seamless.

In order for the entire world to not take notice, he'd have to sneak in these behaviors to all hosts by way of universal updates: reveries. I believe Theresa and Jeffrey are both in on this, and they're helping him accomplish this. If Ford's consciousness is to be transferred, reveries are exactly what he will need in order to be truly human. I also believe that we saw his intended vessel: the British boy.

As other redditors have pointed out, the maze seems remarkably similar to the complex where Dr. Ford oversees the creation of the hosts. I think the maze might be a path for hosts to escape the park unnoticed, so that future Dr. Ford can leave the park with his vessel and not stir up any fuss. I also believe the church is the entrance point to said maze.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 06:49:50 AM »

Oh I definitely agree the treasure could be part of some adventure I just don't think it has anything to do with what the MIB is trying to find. It's just a "side quest" if you will.

But it almost seems like MIB is doing his own side quest as well, one that is buried deep in the game.  But I agree, it likely wasn't the same side quest since it doesn't seem to be openly offered (whatever MIB is doing).  Just my thought.  I need to rewatch the 2nd episode because there is so much detail.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 06:51:57 AM »
I watched the trailer for this show for the first time last night. Definitely changed my idea of what's going on. At one point, Ford says something like "Everything here, I created" while looking over the huge landscape, and we've heard "layers" many times now. We've seen a church that's buried, and a facility with a storage area 84 floors underground. I'm wondering if there have been several itterations of this park over time, literally being layered one on top of the other.

That little girl said "Follow the Blood Arroyo (red river) to the place where the snake lays its eggs." as a clue to find the maze's entrance. We saw the snake with Ford by that buried steeple. Ford shut down that new narrative "Odyssey on the Red River" almost immediately. I think that narrative would have taken guests to that area, and Ford is trying to keep it relatively secret.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
MY THEORY - SPOILERS (I posted this on reddit and copypasta'd to here)

My knowledge of Westworld is strictly limited to these two episodes of the show. I haven't seen the movie or watched any production interviews or anything. I'm going to have to re-watch the first two episodes to build on/reaffirm this, but here goes:

Dr. Ford mentioned that the human race is as good as it gets. I believe he also mentioned either immortality or bringing back the dead; I don't really remember, hence the necessary re-watch. In pursuit of immortality, he's constantly making the hosts more human-like (despite Lee's objections) so that the transfer of consciousness will be seamless.

In order for the entire world to not take notice, he'd have to sneak in these behaviors to all hosts by way of universal updates: reveries. I believe Theresa and Jeffrey are both in on this, and they're helping him accomplish this. If Ford's consciousness is to be transferred, reveries are exactly what he will need in order to be truly human. I also believe that we saw his intended vessel: the British boy.

As other redditors have pointed out, the maze seems remarkably similar to the complex where Dr. Ford oversees the creation of the hosts. I think the maze might be a path for hosts to escape the park unnoticed, so that future Dr. Ford can leave the park with his vessel and not stir up any fuss. I also believe the church is the entrance point to said maze.

very cool theory indeed.....  :tup

I watched the trailer for this show for the first time last night. Definitely changed my idea of what's going on. At one point, Ford says something like "Everything here, I created" while looking over the huge landscape, and we've heard "layers" many times now. We've seen a church that's buried, and a facility with a storage area 84 floors underground. I'm wondering if there have been several itterations of this park over time, literally being layered one on top of the other.

That little girl said "Follow the Blood Arroyo (red river) to the place where the snake lays its eggs." as a clue to find the maze's entrance. We saw the snake with Ford by that buried steeple. Ford shut down that new narrative "Odyssey on the Red River" almost immediately. I think that narrative would have taken guests to that area, and Ford is trying to keep it relatively secret.

Right on Brian....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 11:38:02 AM »

Right on Brian....

I just rewatched with my coworker during lunch today and totally agree.  Those scenes are also back to back and when Ford shoes the snake away, he shoes it towards the steeple.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »
Caught the first two episodes yesterday and really enjoyed them (never see the movie or read the book). Curious to see where the season goes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2016, 09:32:27 AM »
When the MiB finds Lawrence, whom apparently knows the location of the maze, he's being hung in a secluded area where no other visitors have ventured. So this guy gets hung every morning. Do you think this was a way Ford is hiding the maze, by each day killing the guy who knows how to get there? We know he gets the info from his daughter, but it starts with Lawrence.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2016, 10:15:27 AM »
And the apparent buried church... It's been mentioned that it could be part of a previous iteration of the park. But, Ford shows it to Lowe, and it seems that it's part of his new, "quite original" storyline.

Online faizoff

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2016, 08:16:19 PM »
Another great episode, this was a bit slower but again plenty of layers being shown. I'll need to rewatch the entire series I'm sure I've missed several nuances and clues.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2016, 01:26:35 AM »
I think I'm done with this show now. 3 episodes in, and I just find almost nothing entertaining about it. By the last 10 minutes, the episode arc was painfully predictable, and it continues to offer little besides mild curiosity for the rest, with no genuine depth. The flashback with the backstory for the park was the only part of this episode I found interesting, but it's nowhere near enough to compel me to watch more. The story behind the AI's behaviour is coming together, but their portrayal of the androids bothers me so much at this point that I just don't care to see what happens.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2016, 09:19:27 AM »
Last night's was my least favorite episode, but the storyline is opening up and this "Arnold" character is opening up some more details that makes the storyline a bit more confusing since I'm still not sure of everyone's motives.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »
You guys are crazy. This was easily the best episode yet.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »
I've been enjoying the show greatly. I like the mystery behind Hopkins character and the park itself. I find the 'memories' that the Hosts are having interesting...because it seems like they are being set up to gain their own 'self' or consciousness.

The whisper at the end where Delores was aiming the gun but couldn't pull the trigger but then heard someone say 'shoot him'....could that be Arnold? The story that Hopkins character told about him no longer being alive and that he died seemed fishy....I think intentionally so....to where it's plausible he didn't die and perhaps is still in the park somewhere? IDK

Anyway....all in all I have no issues with the show and have been entertained by it thus far.

Online faizoff

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
I can't wait to rewatch the whole season again start to finish once the story wraps up. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't go into existential territory like Lost(not that it's a bad thing). Next week I'm most likely going to be watching this show rather than the TWD premiere. Westworld has been amazing so far and last night's episode is being dissected with immense glee on reddit but I don't want to delve into it just yet.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »
I can't wait to rewatch the whole season again start to finish once the story wraps up. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't go into existential territory like Lost(not that it's a bad thing). Next week I'm most likely going to be watching this show rather than the TWD premiere. Westworld has been amazing so far and last night's episode is being dissected with immense glee on reddit but I don't want to delve into it just yet.

Last night my brother was like "Can you stop recording one of these two so I can watch TV?" and it was Westworld and Walking Dead.  I'll be doing the same next week, cancel Walking Dead. 

While I stated last night was my least favorite, I am still very much enjoying and deeply intrigued by the show.  So much mystery about what happened in the past and what the current character's motives are.  The show hinted at this in the beginning, the people in the game, management, and investors all have different agendas, but what are they?

Also, could MiB be Arnold?  Is that possible?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2016, 01:01:09 AM »

I don't think so. If anything about Arnold's story was true, it feels like he would be treating the hosts differently. But maybe the story was bullshit, I don't know.

Also, did we see Arnold in the flashbacks? I don't remember.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2016, 05:55:56 AM »
I thought the third episode was awesome. I liked it a lot. I dozed off for about 6 minutes toward the end and woke up with the Man in Black in the barn with Delores. I'm going to have to rewatch it.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2016, 06:34:24 AM »

I don't think so. If anything about Arnold's story was true, it feels like he would be treating the hosts differently. But maybe the story was bullshit, I don't know.

Also, did we see Arnold in the flashbacks? I don't remember.

He's in the photo with young Ford in the office exposition scene. Dude looks nothing like Ed Harris.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »
I thought the third episode was awesome. I liked it a lot. I dozed off for about 6 minutes toward the end and woke up with the Man in Black in the barn with Delores. I'm going to have to rewatch it.

Really liking the show but I've also dowsed off at the end of every episode so far. Not because of the episode but because this is typically the second show we watch and it being an hour is tough on a work night.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2016, 06:39:15 AM »

Really liking the show but I've also dowsed off at the end of every episode so far. Not because of the episode but because this is typically the second show we watch and it being an hour is tough on a work night.

We started it at 10:15 last night after shoveling nine types of meat into our faces at a Brazilian steakhouse. Food coma was in full effect  :lol.

Online faizoff

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »
Another great episode, hard to concentrate after watching TWD premiere but loving the unveiling of doubt the hosts get with each episode.