Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 73933 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Westworld
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
This show looks like it's going to be amazing. Can't wait!!

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/hbo-teases-new-cowboys-and-robots-series-083013006.html
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Westworld
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »
Yea, Im excited for this.  I never saw the movie it's based on but have read here and there about the production of this and it sounds massive.  Also a huge orgy scene keeps being talked about when I read anything regarding this show  :lol

The teaser trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8HNuRLIBI

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
It definitely looks fantastic, but I know that there were massive problems on set which led to production being shut down.

If it is actually on the schedule now, I guess they got their shit together.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »
I enjoyed the movie! Can't to see how this will turn out

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
Looking good indeed!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 05:15:27 PM »
Tomorrow Night  :metal     Really hoping that this show is a good one.....indications thus far (trailers/reviews) seem to point in that direction.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »
I haven't read or heard anything about it or the movie, but I've seen the teasers while watching my other HBO shows, and it looks awesome. I'll definitely check it out sometime in the coming week.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 08:40:53 PM »
From what I read online HBO seem to be priming this show as their follow-up big budget show to game of thrones. Hopefully the hype is justified.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »
From what I read online HBO seem to be priming this show as their follow-up big budget show to game of thrones. Hopefully the hype is justified.

Based on having seen the original movie and the trailers, I don't know that it can be all that. I'll probably check it out anyway though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »

100 Million spent, yea they expect big things.

I plan on checking it out

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 11:49:22 PM »
Off to a good start. The most interesting character for me moving forward is Ed Harris' Gunslinger....who, if you've seen the original film, the origins are a bit different...

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 01:14:59 AM »
Definitely enjoyed the first episode.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 03:21:05 AM »
Eh. It started off good, but it really lost me in the last 20 minutes or so, pretty much after it got to that bizarre use of music (was it Rolling Stones?). I liked the twist on the gunslinger, and I feel like they set it up that up intentionally for the people who have seen the movie. He's the only character I'm interested in at this point. I feel like some other aspects of the movie they incorporated here weren't too well explained (yet) though, so I'm glad I've seen the movie for some background. By the end it started to get a bit more predictable and pseudo-intellectual.
I might give this one more episode to convince me, but at the moment I don't see myself continuing with it for long.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:41:59 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 06:39:39 AM »
It did enough to keep me interested. Neat concept.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »
Eh. It started off good, but it really lost me in the last 20 minutes or so, pretty much after it got to that bizarre use of music (was it Rolling Stones?).
Yes, it was "Paint it Black." I was more surprised earlier in the episode when they were playing "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden, but I agree that the music was really jarring during that particular scene.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
Eh. It started off good, but it really lost me in the last 20 minutes or so, pretty much after it got to that bizarre use of music (was it Rolling Stones?).
Yes, it was "Paint it Black." I was more surprised earlier in the episode when they were playing "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden, but I agree that the music was really jarring during that particular scene.

Surprised I missed that one, I guess it's been too long since I've properly listened to it to have noticed it. Do you remember what part of the episode it was?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »

Surprised I missed that one, I guess it's been too long since I've properly listened to it to have noticed it. Do you remember what part of the episode it was?
Don't remember what part, but it was being played on the piano in the saloon.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »

Don't remember what part, but it was being played on the piano in the saloon.

Shit, as soon as you mentioned that, I remember the bit instantly. I honestly recall thinking how out of style that piano music was for the period with that weird chord progression and figured they'd intentionally made it anachronistic because it was so far in the future that they had no clue.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »
I wasn't blown away by the first episode. Other than the cursing and nudity it didn't really feel like an HBO show. But there are some interesting things going on so I'm not giving up. It was still a good episode.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 05:18:39 AM »
Yea the first episode didn't much for me either, more questions than answers but I knew hardly anything about this show before watching so I have to give it some time to sink in.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 06:10:42 AM »
Watched episode 1 last night. Fucking loved it. I never knew a movie or book existed until I read through this thread, so I'm going into this 100% blind. I like the concept. I like the score. The characters are cool. I feel like there's a million ways they could take this. It feels fresh.

Dolores interests me. There's something not right with her as she lied to the guy interviewing her in the interrogation room (whether intentionally or not). The guy asked "Have you ever questioned your reality?" and she responded with a "no". That's not an accurate answer as that little boy down by the lake said something like "You're one of them, you're not real". She dismissed him pretty quickly, but even that would still count as questioning it, no? Speaking of that scene, the little boy made his statement and she immediately pivoted to "I have to be going now" without even really acknowledging his statement directly. I'm wondering if there is a built in protocol for these hosts to recognize a question or statement like that and to bail before they ponder on it too much. That could also explain why her dad kind of freaked out when looking at the photo. There could be programming to help them cope during a discussion of a different reality, but there might not be any programming or protocol when one of the hosts actually sees an alternate reality. The programmers may not have thought to account for a scenario like that. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

So what are these hosts exactly? Are they fully animatronic, or is there some biological element to them as well? I get that they have "blood", but that could be red CPU coolant for all I know.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:21:47 AM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 06:40:05 AM »
I think Hopkins character knows exactly what he's doing and is intentionally trying to give them actual 'life' or a soul so to speak.

Brian I'm the same as you, I've never read the book or watched the old movie so this is a fresh look for me as well. I also agree about the possibilities for the show....very curious.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:08 AM »
I'm assuming he's working with the government to make surrogate soldiers.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 07:10:39 AM »

Given his age, and scene reminiscing with the older model android, I expect his motivation is more personal and deep than that.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 07:46:01 AM »

Given his age, and scene reminiscing with the older model android, I expect his motivation is more personal and deep than that.

Recreate a dead wife or girlfriend?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 07:52:57 AM »

Possible, although that would be far too cliche for me, and the scope of his updates seems too broad for such a specific goal. Perhaps something to do with achieving immortality (although again, very cliche), or another goal related to pushing AI sentience, but I don't think there's enough depth of information to speculate too hard at this point.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 08:09:53 AM »

Possible, although that would be far too cliche for me, and the scope of his updates seems too broad for such a specific goal. Perhaps something to do with achieving immortality (although again, very cliche), or another goal related to pushing AI sentience, but I don't think there's enough depth of information to speculate too hard at this point.

I was thinking along the 'pushing AI to sentience' line. Perhaps there is a bit of underlying guilt for the countless horrific abuses they've suffered over the many years and giving them actual 'life' could be his way of apologizing and making things right?

But you're right Blob....anything at this point is pure speculation being there is little to go off of.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
Along the thought process of horrific abuses, I think that's perhaps the very point. He's created a world for humans to indulge in things they wouldn't/couldn't normally do, raw human nature, sex, violence etc. Despite the fact these androids aren't supposed to remember anything, they've been storing long term memories without access to them, and after the most recent update have been able to do so, and are now displaying more human qualities. That's possibly not unintentional, perhaps that was the update, and the intended next stage of their evolution. The old dude seems very curious about how they're progressing as part of some experiment.
And old papa bot is now questioning his existence and the nature of good vs evil, and quotes a line from Romeo and Juliet. But again, I don't think they've given us enough in one episode to know how it's all supposed to fit together, since it's the major arc of the show.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »
Delores' father almost looked like he was on the verge of tears as they walked him into that naked storage area. I imagine that won't be the last time we see him. I'm willing to bet that at some point all of those in storage eventually start moving around. We know that guy in the body bag can still make some sense of things. 

They also showed that cooling issue with all the flooding water when they took the elevator down. I'm curious to see how that plays out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:09 PM »
Finally caught the debut.

I really liked it.  Can't wait to see what happens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »
Loved it! Just what I needed to see from HBO.

Online faizoff

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »
I'm with Chino, I fucking loved the first episode. I'm going into it blind and enjoyed that episode tremendously. The show's style is kinda like Black Mirror which I love and can't wait for next episode because I too think the possibilities are endless.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »
Went and visited my mom last night and we ended up watching this (she's onboard) for the second time. Caught some little things the second time around that I hadn't noticed the first time. One thing that I'm really surprised I missed; in Delores' interview at the end, she starts freaking out in the room and the guy gives the voice command to disable her emotions. When he asks her the last question, something like "What do you think of your world?", she ignores the emotion cancelling command and puts a huge smile on her face before giving her answer. Also, she appeared to look more worn down each time she woke up.

Online faizoff

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 10:05:48 AM »
2nd Episode is up early on HBO streaming right now!!! awesome to be working from home today!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
2nd Episode is up early on HBO streaming right now!!! awesome to be working from home today!