Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 74464 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Westworld
« Reply #770 on: August 15, 2022, 12:10:28 PM »
So, um...is that the series finale?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #771 on: August 15, 2022, 01:21:40 PM »
unlikely the final season, but Season 5 seems likely there will be per we have no idea what happens in the Sublime.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #772 on: August 15, 2022, 02:55:57 PM »
So, um...is that the series finale?

Pretty sure it was.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #773 on: August 15, 2022, 04:04:18 PM »
I believe there will be 5 seasons.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #774 on: August 15, 2022, 04:06:41 PM »
I believe there will be 5 seasons.

Let's hope.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #775 on: August 15, 2022, 08:32:12 PM »
It certainly felt like a final season. I wonder if it was made that way to kinda not end on a cliffhanger of sorts in case things change and they cancel the series. With all the changes going on in HBO/Discovery land who knows what to expect.

As for the finale, it was a good ending to the season. Capped it off on a more optimistic note than I thought.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #776 on: August 16, 2022, 10:56:44 AM »
Season finale for sure... The train at the closing scene had a 5 on the front.

Seriously loved everything about this season, such a strong finish. How Charlotte snuffs herself was so dramatic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #777 on: August 17, 2022, 07:19:54 AM »
Up until the finale I was digging this season a lot. Pretty underwhelmed by the finale and have to say.....the scenes with 'Dolores' or whatever her name was this time around were EXTREMELY BORING.....from the look of the scene to the rudimentary dialogue that was (I guess) supposed to sound wise or prophetic or something.....those scenes were just brutal to get through. The last couple with her and Teddy and then her just in the sublime or whatever as she spoke....snooze-fest.

Aaron Paul knocked it out of the park with his character portrayal this season....especially with the little ticks and stuff that came with a dying body.....he was really good and the best thing about the season. I'm certain I'll watch should there be a S5...overall I enjoyed this season but man....all the Dolores scenes from this season really took away from everything else that was going on. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #778 on: August 17, 2022, 11:34:15 AM »
Up until the finale I was digging this season a lot. Pretty underwhelmed by the finale and have to say.....the scenes with 'Dolores' or whatever her name was this time around were EXTREMELY BORING.....from the look of the scene to the rudimentary dialogue that was (I guess) supposed to sound wise or prophetic or something.....those scenes were just brutal to get through. The last couple with her and Teddy and then her just in the sublime or whatever as she spoke....snooze-fest.

Aaron Paul knocked it out of the park with his character portrayal this season....especially with the little ticks and stuff that came with a dying body.....he was really good and the best thing about the season. I'm certain I'll watch should there be a S5...overall I enjoyed this season but man....all the Dolores scenes from this season really took away from everything else that was going on.

Couldn't disagree more. I think Delores/Christine arc was so well handled in re-establishing her as the center of it all. When Charlotte smashed the floor to unveil Delores' pearl, I literally cheered, and for Charlotte to finally realize how Delores in the Sublime was the only chance of either species surviving, and to sacrifice everything to put her there, just wonderful. Fantastic stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #779 on: August 17, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »
The show apparently has not yet been renewed for a 5th season.

I don't know.  Pretty depressing.  Everyone dies.  WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: August 17, 2022, 12:09:31 PM »

Couldn't disagree more. I think Delores/Christine arc was so well handled in re-establishing her as the center of it all. When Charlotte smashed the floor to unveil Delores' pearl, I literally cheered, and for Charlotte to finally realize how Delores in the Sublime was the only chance of either species surviving, and to sacrifice everything to put her there, just wonderful. Fantastic stuff.

I don't disagree about the Delores/Christine arc in general. My disappointment and where I'm underwhelmed by it all is the dialogue and overall execution of the scenes. For as top tier as the writing and production all other scenes and aspects of the show was this season and has been historically.....those Delores/Christine scenes were WAY below par IMO. Not nearly as sophisticated as the established historic baseline of the show.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #781 on: August 17, 2022, 03:11:04 PM »
The show apparently has not yet been renewed for a 5th season.

I don't know.  Pretty depressing.  Everyone dies.  WTF

Ed Harris actually said that there will be a 5th season, whether he was shooting out his ass or spilling beans, who knows.

Just watched it again, and as far as I can tell, the only people alive at the end are Dolores, Frankie, and her partner. Caleb was alive, but surely was going to be dead in days. But in the end, Dolores makes two different references to her being able to create anyone at will as long as she remembers them, she says it first with Teddy, then at the end when she's talking about the final game.

Gary, I can see some of your point, the dialogue is...simplistic? But I think what they're trying to draw out is that choice Dolores is always drawn back to, the good or bad, and I think they were trying to emphasize the good aspect of it. I still think they did an excellent job at winding things up while setting up the finale.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: August 17, 2022, 03:20:46 PM »
Gary, I can see some of your point, the dialogue is...simplistic? But I think what they're trying to draw out is that choice Dolores is always drawn back to, the good or bad, and I think they were trying to emphasize the good aspect of it. I still think they did an excellent job at winding things up while setting up the finale.

That's a better way to describe it. When compared to many of the interesting and great little diatribes and tangents the characters have went off on over the seasons.....the material they delivered with Dolores/Christine was very 'simple'.....which made it really boring to me. Regardless of the point behind it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #783 on: August 17, 2022, 08:49:28 PM »
I don't think the finale had any huge, dramatic moments really. I mean what happens with so many people dying, but the tone and feel wasn't incredibly engaging.

Even just having an extended chase or fight; Maeve and Charlotte, Charlotte and Dolores , Caleb and Charlotte, or William and Charlotte...I dunno, the finale felt light and more surreal than dramatic.

I think there could and should have been some bigger reveal (Future World?) or something at the end.

Why I think the show has to have a 5th season to really give a bigger payoff for the whole show/story.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #784 on: August 19, 2022, 01:26:19 PM »
Is Dolores really alive?  I mean, she is sentient, but she's in the sublime.  Can she bring herself back out?  Wouldn't she need a physical body into which to deposit her brain marble?

I don't know.  This show had me until, like, these last two episodes.  I just don't get it.  All of the people are dead.  All of the hosts are dead.  William got what he wanted.  There are a couple of human outliers still alive, for now, and who knows how many dead robots are in robot heaven.  Whatever.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #785 on: August 19, 2022, 03:43:58 PM »
Is Dolores really alive?  I mean, she is sentient, but she's in the sublime.  Can she bring herself back out?  Wouldn't she need a physical body into which to deposit her brain marble?

I don't know.  This show had me until, like, these last two episodes.  I just don't get it.  All of the people are dead.  All of the hosts are dead.  William got what he wanted.  There are a couple of human outliers still alive, for now, and who knows how many dead robots are in robot heaven.  Whatever.

:lol

Cynical hef is just too funny.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #786 on: August 20, 2022, 09:21:07 PM »
I’m with Hef.

Mostly disappointing finale.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #787 on: November 04, 2022, 04:02:40 PM »
Oh damn. Westworld has indeed been cancelled. :sad:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/westworld-canceled-hbo-1235328276/

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #788 on: November 04, 2022, 04:34:11 PM »
That’s fine. Ending works as a final ending. As meh as it was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #789 on: November 04, 2022, 07:40:01 PM »
Boo.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #790 on: November 04, 2022, 08:56:26 PM »
that story said they planned to make a 5th season.

Another network? Miniseries or movie?..it sounds like the budget to make the show contributed, so the odds may not be incredibly high.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: November 04, 2022, 09:39:23 PM »
That’s fine. Ending works as a final ending. As meh as it was.

Yeah. It worked but by that point they had been trying to hard to be clever storytellers. They got way too ‘smart’ for their own good. Was pretty bored with it actually.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #792 on: November 05, 2022, 12:19:56 AM »
It'll be annoying if they can't finish the story they've had planned since the start.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #793 on: November 05, 2022, 04:17:58 AM »
I expected this one to be on the chopping block once that merger was announced :( At least we got as much as we did.
The story was a royal PITA to follow at times, but when it clicked it clicked well. One of the best sci-fi stories I've come across.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #794 on: November 05, 2022, 07:17:25 AM »
I expected this one to be on the chopping block once that merger was announced :( At least we got as much as we did.
The story was a royal PITA to follow at times, but when it clicked it clicked well. One of the best sci-fi stories I've come across.

This. Far from flawless, but a huge 'A' for ambition in my book.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #795 on: November 05, 2022, 08:45:35 AM »
For me, S1-3 were perfection. They definitely stumbled a bit in 4 but it still held the Westworld vibe.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #796 on: November 05, 2022, 09:59:50 AM »
Loved season 1
Was let down by Season 2

Then I stopped watching

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #797 on: November 05, 2022, 11:31:01 AM »
What great news to read just as I wanted to finally catch up with season 4.

I'll watch it anyway, after watching a youtube good recap of Season 3 'cause I don't remember / understand anything, but let's admit it - nothing would have ever topped the absolute awesomeness of season 1.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: November 05, 2022, 11:48:33 AM »
For me, S1-3 were perfection. They definitely stumbled a bit in 4 but it still held the Westworld vibe.

For sure. It held the vibe and was ‘good’ per say…..Aaron Paul was fantastic…..but I think they got in their heads too much and tried to be too crafty with the storytelling.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #799 on: November 05, 2022, 02:35:08 PM »

For sure. It held the vibe and was ‘good’ per say…..Aaron Paul was fantastic…..but I think they got in their heads too much and tried to be too crafty with the storytelling.

Yep.. For me, they tried to outdo the previous storyline, and it just became too much story to tell... They got in over their head so to speak. Caleb was such a great character though

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #800 on: November 07, 2022, 09:37:20 AM »
It'll be annoying if they can't finish the story they've had planned since the start.
Why?  What they had planned from the start included season 4, of which the ending was atrocious.

I'm absolutely fine that it was cancelled.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #801 on: November 07, 2022, 09:43:53 AM »
Why?  What they had planned from the start included season 4, of which the ending was atrocious.

I read on Reddit yesterday that the season 4 finale was modified halfway through production in the event that this cancellation actually happened. I guess the original ending would have been a lot worse without a fifth season.

I have no idea if that's true or not. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #802 on: November 07, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »

I read on Reddit yesterday that the season 4 finale was modified halfway through production in the event that this cancellation actually happened. I guess the original ending would have been a lot worse without a fifth season.

I have no idea if that's true or not.
I'm not sure how much worse it could have been, or how it can move forward.  All of the people are dead, and all of the hosts are dead.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: November 07, 2022, 12:03:12 PM »
As someone who bounced on this show after season 2.... yeah, makes sense this didn't make it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #804 on: December 02, 2022, 04:17:19 AM »
Watched the full fourth season.

Well, it was good, but the magic was gone. It was not bad, but knowing it was the end and probably we wouldn't get any satisfying ending I just went along for the ride. This is the equivalent of a band past her prime putting out an ok album. You don't dislike it, you can't find songs to point out as really bad, but in the end, the album comes and goes and you just forget about it. I watched it to complete the story,  but as I previously said, nothing will ever come remotely close to season 1.

Also, enough with the cliches, for example when Clementine was fighting off Caleb and her daughter, they used TWICE the trope of the intervention (first from Caleb and then from the daughter) at the last possible second before Clementine was about to kill her (and him later). Along with the perfect line before shooting. Boooooooring.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!