Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 74627 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Westworld
« Reply #700 on: May 07, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »
Some legend on Reddit has come up with a completely bonkers awesome theory about how season 3 laid out all the pieces for Mirrorworld. I'm going to watch season 3 again with all of this info on hand and hopefully I can better understand it. Whether it'll gel with season 4 when they start making that or not remains to be seen but regardless this is why WW is my favorite show. It makes me think like no other show does.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/gf0pft/the_atlas_of_rehoboam_divergence_maps_is_a_cypher/

And then there's this quote from episode 3 this season, by Dolores... "“Every aspect of your lives recorded and logged in order to create a mirror world of this world,”  :eek

Good Lord that's a lot of work  :lol    Really cool revelation and idea.....just REALLY thick and detailed. I'm not sure the 'average' viewer can/would/could/wants to get that in the weeds though. It's a lot to digest and comprehend. I mean, it's a show that has many layers but THAT hypothesis is real in depth. I love it.....but, can they lay it out for 'Joe Shmo' to understand?

The optimist in me wants to say that seasons 4/5 will, in hindsight, make this clearer to the viewer. The realist in me says they probably won't. But I hope they do. There's no way those inverse coordinates were unintentional, and I know they outlined 5 seasons during the production of season 1 (and even halted production to continue outlining). Unlike a lot of people online, it seems, I'm super optimistic about the series and the philosophical questions it raises - I don't expect the show to produce answers to the questions, I expect them to raise them for the viewer to mull over, so I guess I'm more easily pleased than most.

But yeah, fingers crossed that this theory is pointing in the right direction and that the show makes it clear in the future.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #701 on: May 07, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
Some legend on Reddit has come up with a completely bonkers awesome theory about how season 3 laid out all the pieces for Mirrorworld. I'm going to watch season 3 again with all of this info on hand and hopefully I can better understand it. Whether it'll gel with season 4 when they start making that or not remains to be seen but regardless this is why WW is my favorite show. It makes me think like no other show does.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/gf0pft/the_atlas_of_rehoboam_divergence_maps_is_a_cypher/

And then there's this quote from episode 3 this season, by Dolores... "“Every aspect of your lives recorded and logged in order to create a mirror world of this world,”  :eek

Good Lord that's a lot of work  :lol    Really cool revelation and idea.....just REALLY thick and detailed. I'm not sure the 'average' viewer can/would/could/wants to get that in the weeds though. It's a lot to digest and comprehend. I mean, it's a show that has many layers but THAT hypothesis is real in depth. I love it.....but, can they lay it out for 'Joe Shmo' to understand?

The optimist in me wants to say that seasons 4/5 will, in hindsight, make this clearer to the viewer. The realist in me says they probably won't. But I hope they do. There's no way those inverse coordinates were unintentional, and I know they outlined 5 seasons during the production of season 1 (and even halted production to continue outlining). Unlike a lot of people online, it seems, I'm super optimistic about the series and the philosophical questions it raises - I don't expect the show to produce answers to the questions, I expect them to raise them for the viewer to mull over, so I guess I'm more easily pleased than most.

But yeah, fingers crossed that this theory is pointing in the right direction and that the show makes it clear in the future.

It's pretty cool and it's pretty apparent those coordinates were intentional. I'd be happy if they did in fact have a nice 'map' of how they're telling the story leading to the end. Mr. Robot and Better Call Saul are two examples I can think of that are/were perfect in storytelling because they knew their start and end point. Mr. Robot being one of if not 'the' best show I've ever seen concerning how it was presented to the viewer.

After a really cool first season......a second season where I think they got a little too ambitious with trying to be a little too creative and clandestine in nature telling the story.....this third season was done really well. I still don't understand the importance of Maeve and how her character was done and just don't really care about that character at all but all in all I'm pleased with the show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #702 on: May 07, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »
I'm always reassured that I am far, far away from being the biggest nerd on the planet. Not even fucking close in some cases.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: May 08, 2020, 07:57:07 AM »
There is a Vulture interview with Ed Harris where he expresses disappointment at where his character has gone the last season or two. He says he signed up to play the Man in Black, not William the insane old man. But it looks like he's getting to be the Man in Black again. I watched that post-credits scene again last night and you can see how much fun he's having as he's kicking his own ass.

William: "Who are you? Are you her, too?"
Both: "You may look like me, but you don't know me. You're just some fucking cheap imitation."

Hale: "Do you know how easy it is, William? How little it takes to know you?"

Man in Black Host: "That part of you that indulged in bloodthirst and savagery at the park, you always thought that was the darker side of you. A stain to exorcise, to scrub out, one month of the year at Westworld. But there are no sides. That was you. Now... that is me. *slice* ... Welcome to the end, William."

Season 4's gonna be a doozy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: May 10, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »
So... filing this under "very specific interests". Remember in that episode this season about Jean Mi and Serac manipulating the markets when they were developing Rehoboam? In the video game Animal Crossing: New Horizons (which I am 110% obsessed with), I have been manipulating the stalk market by buying turnips and selling them for ludicrous profits, every single week. Buy upwards of 10,000 turnips at 94, sell anywhere between 400-700. 10 million in the bank right now.

So on my laptop I took this inverted image of the Rehoboam divergence circle, photoshopped a somewhat accurate representation of the turnip models into the center, chopped it up, and scanned it into the game. I'm gonna create an entirely black floor tomorrow and put it in the center, and my basement will forever be a Rehoboam Turnip HQ.

All hail the Turnip.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #705 on: May 11, 2020, 08:11:10 AM »
So... filing this under "very specific interests". Remember in that episode this season about Jean Mi and Serac manipulating the markets when they were developing Rehoboam? In the video game Animal Crossing: New Horizons (which I am 110% obsessed with), I have been manipulating the stalk market by buying turnips and selling them for ludicrous profits, every single week. Buy upwards of 10,000 turnips at 94, sell anywhere between 400-700. 10 million in the bank right now.

So on my laptop I took this inverted image of the Rehoboam divergence circle, photoshopped a somewhat accurate representation of the turnip models into the center, chopped it up, and scanned it into the game. I'm gonna create an entirely black floor tomorrow and put it in the center, and my basement will forever be a Rehoboam Turnip HQ.

All hail the Turnip.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: May 11, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »
 :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: May 12, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »
I just ordered a poster of the Rehoboam divergence eclipse design (entirely white with the thin black corona). I am in love with that image and what it represents. I am considering ordering one of the season 3 poster with the (I assume Dolores) host body on its knees in the sand.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: May 12, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »
I just ordered a poster of the Rehoboam divergence eclipse design (entirely white with the thin black corona). I am in love with that image and what it represents. I am considering ordering one of the season 3 poster with the (I assume Dolores) host body on its knees in the sand.

Sounds like you need to skip the child's play and just get it as a back tattoo.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: May 12, 2020, 09:54:35 AM »

HAHA. I'm not lying... I was thinking about that the other day. I very well might do that.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #710 on: May 12, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »

HAHA. I'm not lying... I was thinking about that the other day. I very well might do that.
You might perhaps prefer to wait until Westworld finishes to see if you're still happy with the show? The number of people who got GOT tattoos and then absolutely hated the final season...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #711 on: May 12, 2020, 02:40:44 PM »
You mean like all the people who named their daughters Daenerys and Khaleesi before she became a psychopathic mass murderer?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: May 12, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »

You might perhaps prefer to wait until Westworld finishes to see if you're still happy with the show? The number of people who got GOT tattoos and then absolutely hated the final season...

Personally, it doesn't matter to me - season 3 already laid out what Rehoboam is, what the divergences mean, etc. The quality of the ending of the show has no impact on it for me; what attracts me to the show itself is more the rumination on philosophy like existentialism, to me. The Rehoboam divergence map is symbolic in a lot of ways, and I think the design is fundamentally badass.  :hat

Now if I was going to name my daughter Dolores, well... that's a whole other story.  :lol

EDIT: I've also thought about getting The Maze design tattooed somewhere. Maybe I'll blend the two; put the maze in the circle with the Vitruvian man fanning out behind it? Or maybe drop the VMan altogether
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:06:35 PM by Kattelox »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #713 on: May 12, 2020, 04:12:48 PM »
You mean like all the people who named their daughters Daenerys and Khaleesi before she became a psychopathic mass murderer?
Oh yeah, that too. :lol

People are dumb.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #714 on: July 13, 2020, 07:42:55 AM »
Started watching season 3.

I didn't know I needed badass hot Dolores going John Wick on mankind until now  :biggrin:

Also Aaron Paul's storyline put Black Mirror to shame.

It's weird to not be anymore in the wild west but I'm excited for how the story will unfold! anyway I think I started this too soon after Dark, my brain still need to recover from all the mindfucks  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #715 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »
Finished it.

If you ask me the plot, I guess my best answer would be "well, uuuuuh...... I guesss..... so...." or something along the lines. I liked quite a lot the season, and I did get what Dolores was trying to do with all the copies, it's just that I can't really come up with a way to explain it to someone else if needed  :lol

The most confused I'm about is Maeve. She basically saw the matrix beyond the "reality" and yet she's fixated on "her daughter". She's not her daughter. She's a robot part of a narrative. She's no more her daughter than Dolores' father was her actual father. I understand it's her cornerstone but come on Maeve, wise up.

Nice twist about Serac not being a host, but someone willingly following every single instruction of Roboham. That and everyone-is-Dolores were quite creative twists I'd say.

It's basically a totally different show alltogether since the beginning, and while I think it will never reach the peaks of Season 1, I'm confident in a good ending (as long as they wrap it up with season 4).

Oh, and the cameo of Drogon was better than the entirety of season 8 of Game of Thrones
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #716 on: July 29, 2020, 09:39:12 AM »
Maeve and her daughter are the show's weakest link. It makes no sense. I hate it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #717 on: July 29, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »

It's basically a totally different show alltogether since the beginning, and while I think it will never reach the peaks of Season 1, I'm confident in a good ending (as long as they wrap it up with season 4).

This is exactly how I feel.

I absolutely loved Season 1, hated Season 2 and didn't even bother to watch Season 3 beyond some recap videos on youtube. Once they took it out of the park, it really did become something totally different and it just wasn't for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: July 29, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
Just here to say season 3 f'ing rules even though I do have some complaints.

Maeve however sucks in season 3 and most of season 2. She has the weakest arc of all the characters and her motivations are weak.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: July 29, 2020, 10:09:14 AM »
Maeve and her daughter are the show's weakest link. It makes no sense. I hate it.

Yep. That storyline is why the show isn’t top tier for me. Every other characters arc and purpose makes sense. Maeves is just not believable and it’s horribly written. She’s not inspiring, intriguing, interesting or believable.

I’ve enjoyed the show.....but her character is a huge black spot on the whole thing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #720 on: August 28, 2021, 10:19:56 PM »
bump.

Sorry for the old bump and this isn't for any news regarding the show/next season, etc. But I saw a new film with Billy Crystal this evening titled
"Here Today" and I was just curious about his recent credits, and stumbled on this short

"City Slickers in Westworld" which him and Daniel Stern and some of the WW cast did with Funny or Die a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFWmvRVSGc

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #721 on: October 13, 2021, 05:49:13 PM »
bump.

Sorry for the old bump and this isn't for any news regarding the show/next season, etc. But I saw a new film with Billy Crystal this evening titled
"Here Today" and I was just curious about his recent credits, and stumbled on this short

"City Slickers in Westworld" which him and Daniel Stern and some of the WW cast did with Funny or Die a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFWmvRVSGc

:rollin

Can't wait for season 4
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 09, 2022, 06:22:27 PM »
S4 teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0MwZPWKD4

WW apparently begin airing on June 26th

Online faizoff

« Reply #723 on: May 09, 2022, 06:26:06 PM »
Nice! Can't wait for it. I don't recall if this was going to the last season for the show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #724 on: May 09, 2022, 07:00:07 PM »
I love when teasers/trailers are long but don't have any dialog. That was awesome. Sweet song too.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: May 09, 2022, 07:35:54 PM »
Gonna need a serious refresher before S4. Looks sweet though

Offline Melphina

« Reply #726 on: May 09, 2022, 09:09:24 PM »
YESSS

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #727 on: May 09, 2022, 09:19:52 PM »
Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #728 on: May 10, 2022, 03:03:33 AM »
Gonna need a serious refresher before S4. Looks sweet though
Me too, especially S03. It's a blur for me since I wasn't 100% into it.

Maybe I should watch everything from the start.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #729 on: June 17, 2022, 09:25:37 PM »
S4 next week, just started a S3 re-watch in preparation. Forgot how absolutely perfect this show is made. Just flawless.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: June 17, 2022, 11:05:51 PM »
S4 next week, just started a S3 re-watch in preparation. Forgot how absolutely perfect this show is made. Just flawless.

I’m gonna have to go the YOUTUBE recap route. Not as sexy as a rewatch just don’t have the time

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #731 on: June 20, 2022, 10:41:33 AM »
Totally forgot about S3E5...Genre...where Caleb takes the drug that makes him experience life via different movie genres...holy fuck what a work of genius this show is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #732 on: June 20, 2022, 12:46:27 PM »

I’m gonna have to go the YOUTUBE recap route. Not as sexy as a rewatch just don’t have the time
Same here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #733 on: June 26, 2022, 11:27:15 AM »
Damn.. Just realized I gotta wait till 6pm...

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: June 26, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »
Damn.. Just realized I gotta wait till 6pm...

Caught a nice 10 minute recap of S3 this morning…..ready to roll! Don’t know if I’ll get to it tonight though…..have two hockey games to play and they’re the late times.