Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 74629 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Westworld
« Reply #595 on: April 05, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »
I'll be catching it tomorrow, finishing up Ozark tonight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #596 on: April 06, 2020, 12:03:24 AM »
Woah

Twists!

Wow! Never even considered that.

And that final scene.......dang!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #597 on: April 06, 2020, 09:00:52 AM »
Well, I suppose the big reveal ends up being the most obvious idea, so I guess expectations were kind of subverted - I really expected multiple different hosts brought back, not just copies of Dolores in multiple bodies. I'm not disappointed, though - just expected them to get really freaky with it. This paints Dolores in a weird light after witnessing her mother-like behavior towards Halores last episode. She's planning on taking over the world for herself, like a virus. But is she still trying to bring down humanity, or just to free them from the technological prison they've built for themselves? Dig the backstory with Serac, and the William scenes were the best imo. Tragic character with a horrifying end. I hope this isn't the last we see of him but if it is, what a way to go.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: April 06, 2020, 09:17:48 AM »
the William scenes were the best imo. Tragic character with a horrifying end. I hope this isn't the last we see of him but if it is, what a way to go.

That final scene was brutal.....with imaginary Dolores telling him the game was over. I doubt we see him again. Just based off of interviews with Ed Harris after S3 had already started filming that he hadn't been asked back yet but he'd always be willing to return....then, he eventually was....I'd bet we just saw the last of him. At least this season. 

***edit***

Although, after thinking about it.....the last episode of last season when TMIB found himself in a destroyed section of West World in what appeared to be way into the future.....I guess he does get out of the mental institution and make his way back to West World and gets the answer he's been looking for?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:31:46 AM by gmillerdrake »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #599 on: April 06, 2020, 09:45:55 AM »
the William scenes were the best imo. Tragic character with a horrifying end. I hope this isn't the last we see of him but if it is, what a way to go.

That final scene was brutal.....with imaginary Dolores telling him the game was over. I doubt we see him again. Just based off of interviews with Ed Harris after S3 had already started filming that he hadn't been asked back yet but he'd always be willing to return....then, he eventually was....I'd bet we just saw the last of him. At least this season. 

***edit***

Although, after thinking about it.....the last episode of last season when TMIB found himself in a destroyed section of West World in what appeared to be way into the future.....I guess he does get out of the mental institution and make his way back to West World and gets the answer he's been looking for?

I think that MAY be a bit of retconning. Since they're establishing that the daughter is actually in his head. So possibly he wasn't in the future at the end? I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: April 06, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
True. But if Dolores knows he’s been hallucinating his daughter and she won the war or whatever.....she may have built a host daughter just to F with him   :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #601 on: April 06, 2020, 09:52:02 AM »
True. But if Dolores knows he’s been hallucinating his daughter and she won the war or whatever.....she may have built a host daughter just to F with him   :lol

Oh so true.

So right when William was taken away by the mental health police, Hale (not calling them all Dolores) injected something into his neck. So I wonder if his hallucinations are mechanically induced and controlled by Dolores.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »
So right when William was taken away by the mental health police, Hale (not calling them all Dolores) injected something into his neck. So I wonder if his hallucinations are mechanically induced and controlled by Dolores.

Was curious about that as well?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #603 on: April 06, 2020, 07:44:08 PM »

I thought she was taking a blood sample

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #604 on: April 06, 2020, 08:11:43 PM »

Are we talking to the injection the guards gave him, or the little gom jabbar prick that Charlotte pulled on him?

Again, another killer episode, and I personally love the concept of Delores having copies of herself. I had a classic jaw on the floor moment when that reveal was happening.

Online Adami

« Reply #605 on: April 06, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »

Are we talking to the injection the guards gave him, or the little gom jabbar prick that Charlotte pulled on him?

The thing Charlotte gave him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: April 06, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
Watching the episode again and my god Ed Harris is a good actor
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #607 on: April 06, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »

To me it looked like she was pricking him rather than giving him something.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #608 on: April 06, 2020, 08:37:47 PM »
I'm thinking it was a kiss of death type moment.

Online Adami

« Reply #609 on: April 06, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »

To me it looked like she was pricking him rather than giving him something.

For what purpose?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #610 on: April 08, 2020, 03:01:33 PM »
I had a classic jaw on the floor moment when that reveal was happening.
Same.

Also, Evan Rachel Wood looks better and better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: April 08, 2020, 03:08:56 PM »
EDIT: My new TV is arriving Saturday, which means I'll have it in time for the new Westworld episode. Hell yeah :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:21:53 PM by Kattelox »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #612 on: April 09, 2020, 02:30:28 PM »
 :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #613 on: April 09, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
So here's a question that may or may not be at all consequential.

So until the big reveal about Dolores was...uh...revealed.....we all assume she came back to the real world in Charlotte's body then somehow got put back into a copy of her own body. But now that they're all Dolores, does anyone think that the one in Charlotte is the original one and the rest are copies?

Essentially, who is the original?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: April 09, 2020, 05:03:45 PM »
I think the Dolores host is Dolores. Only because the Hale one had that breakdown. I just don’t think the ‘real’ Dolores would have broke down like that.

Who knows.

Online Adami

« Reply #615 on: April 09, 2020, 05:07:07 PM »
I think the Dolores host is Dolores. Only because the Hale one had that breakdown. I just don’t think the ‘real’ Dolores would have broke down like that.

Who knows.

That's what got me thinking, maybe the Hale one is the original and is degrading because she's the oldest one? Not sure why else she'd break down but het others wouldn't, unless the Scottish guy starts doing it too, or the Japanese guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: April 09, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
It's fun as heck to think about for sure. I think I'm still of the belief that Dolores = Dolores, if you know what I'm saying.

Online Adami

« Reply #617 on: April 09, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »
It's fun as heck to think about for sure. I think I'm still of the belief that Dolores = Dolores, if you know what I'm saying.

Oh totally. This is more fun for me to discuss because I'm not dedicated to any possibility. It all seems equally likely and interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: April 12, 2020, 06:26:13 PM »
First thing I'm watching on this new TV is last week's Westworld. I am stunned by how amazing this show looks in 4K. I'm able to see every pore and hair on Serac's face, which is weird but I can't look away. The detail is nuts! Hyped as ever for the new ep, but I'm totally rewatching the whole series... again... when this is over  :biggrin:

Online Adami

« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
Kat, let's you and me take some Genre and go to Six Flags.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: April 13, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »
Kat, let's you and me take some Genre and go to Six Flags.

Yes. I am all about this.  :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #621 on: April 13, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
The cinematography of last night's episode was outstanding. The lighting, the colors, all of it looked so great.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #622 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:14 AM »
So... I can't put my finger on why, but I think the newest episode might be my least favorite in the series so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: April 14, 2020, 09:01:39 AM »
So... I can't put my finger on why, but I think the newest episode might be my least favorite in the series so far.

Yeah. It was pretty boring and the whole 'reveal' of information to the world was anti climactic and to be honest......that 'story line' has been done before and done better. They didn't do a very good job at building up just how dependent society had become on the system or whatever....so everyone finding out they were losers wasn't that big a deal to me.

So, I'm with you on this one. Just a 'blah' episode when you compare it other episodes of the series and season.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: April 14, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »
That's a shame! It's not my favorite, but I really enjoyed it. I think they dropped the ball a bit on the visual effects for genre during Caleb's trip. The visual enhancements and effects weren't as wild as I'd like them to have been, I wonder if it was a budget thing, or something just got lost in production, because I bet on paper those scenes were supposed to be wild and crazy.

I have... a lot of thoughts!

Loved all the backstory with Serac; I think we can rule out that he's a projection of Rehoboam after seeing what he did to Liam Dempsey, Sr. Holograms can't bash people's heads against other objects. (And man, he really let him have it. 3 times, was it?) Did anybody catch in the scene when he sat down in his office that the Rehoboam halo/coffee stain-esque image fit around his head perfectly, like a dark halo? Westworld loves to play with Biblical themes - heaven/hell, God/Satan, even the obvious naming of the Rehoboam prototypes as kings of Israel. Saul, David, Solomon, Rehoboam - Adami, isn't this one of your areas of expertise? Do you glean anything from this? My knowledge in this area is sorely lacking.

So Liam Dempsey, Jr. is out of the picture in arguably one of the most pointless character arcs in Westworld, but it was short-lived so I'm not that salty about it. He said Caleb is the 'worst of them all' and that he 'doesn't know who he is.' Do you think Caleb killed Francis? Was Caleb's mind altered? Why does his mom say he's not her son?

I hope William comes back in the next episode. We haven't seen much of him, but he's one of the most fascinating characters on the show and I hope they have big plans for him by season's end/through season 4.

All in all I really enjoyed this episode. Some more thoughts after chewing on it all day yesterday:

1) RIP Tommy Flanagan. Was hoping he'd stick around and be a regular, but his (her? its?) job is done, I suppose. Love how Bernard seemed to make him question his role in all this just earlier, however.

2) Caleb staring at Dolores during the Love Story theme made me LOL

3) RIP Pom Klementieff

4) I cannot get enough of the visual representation of Rehoboam and how Serac even uses it as his watch. As Decoding Westworld pointed out for me, he doesn't have a regular watch because he's not interested in what's going on right now; his watch is Rehoboam because Serac's focus is on the future at all times and this way he can track it wherever he is.

5) The close-up on Serac's face during his initial reaction after Dolores leaks the data and causes Rehoboam's eclipse-brain display grows ever blacker on the left gave me chills. Vincent Cassel's acting is remarkable!

6) I hope Caleb and Dolores have a conversation soon about who Dolores is. Caleb was still tripping a bit when Dolores took those bullets for him, but he's gotta know something wild is going on with her.

7) Leaking all of that data to everyone in the world is going to be 'the moment' that changes the series going forward. While I think they could've done a better job this season of showing how the lower class has become dependent and completely victimized by Incite and Rehoboam, I don't think they've been ineffective at communicating the themes they're going for. I do think the initial reaction to everyone discovering the data was a bit corny (the outright violence and chaos that immediately seemed to spark was just a little cheesy, not in the same fascinating way the Escalante massacre went down), but overall, I think when the series wraps up years from now, we'll be able to look back to this as the definitive breaking point. I think things are going to get much worse from here on out. I think Dolores has opened Pandora's box. I think she intended to do that - but I think she's going to vastly underestimate the consequences. Of course, it's Westworld, anything can happen...

8) How did Stubbs just walk into that facility? For a world with so much surveillance he seemed to have no trouble getting in there.

9) WTF is Bernard's role in all this? I know he's important, and Dolores wouldn't have brought him back for no reason. Something's up...

Whew. Is the week over with yet?  :lol :corn

Online faizoff

« Reply #625 on: April 14, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
Finally caught up with this season and the immediate thing that jumps out to me is I need to rewatch the first two seasons lol.

This season the visual aspect has been nothing but stellar. All the future tech is fascinating to see and I lolled at the GoT reference, though I get why people rolled their eyes at it as well.

Music as usual has been spectacular with Ramin Djwadi's scores and adaptation of songs to cover.

It's a shorter season than previous two I guess due to the scale of the world shown this season requiring a ton of the budget and all those elaborate visual sets.
I think when the first season came out the show creators had pretty much said they have the whole series planned out for a 5ish season show.

I only hope that's true and all these retcons this season are a part of vision for the show.

I don't know if I'm loving this season just as much as the first two seasons, though it is a treat in every technical aspect. I'll wait for the season to be over to dive deep into all the meanings and signs and clues on these podcasts, etc..
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #626 on: April 19, 2020, 08:50:12 PM »
Tonight's episode was on fire!

Best episode of season 3 for sure.

Also I finally started rewatching and it's an even better show when revisiting. Done with season 1 and half way done with season 2. It's easier to keep things in mind when you've just watched the episodes. I'm loving this show even more now. The rewatch value is fantastic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: April 19, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
Damn good episode. Think that big scene with the Williams might be one of my favorite scenes in the whole show. And that ending, WOW!

The preview for the next episode looks nuts.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #628 on: April 19, 2020, 10:10:01 PM »
Kick ass episode for sure, really put some serious motive behind William, Charlotte/Delores and Maeve. There all on a collision course for holy shitsville now. I fucking love this show so much.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: April 20, 2020, 01:18:48 AM »
Until tonight I couldn’t understand why Maeve would want to kill Dolores. Pretty sure her squishing Hectors existence away in her palm did it.